Best supplement/ingredients to drink intra-workout that doesn't..

  1. New Member
    HITFrank's Avatar
    Stats
    6'5"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    168
    Rep Power
    35224
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    2.94%
    Achievements Reputation Pro

    Best supplement/ingredients to drink intra-workout that doesn't..


    ...contain amino acids or carbs?

    The easy answer is water, but is there any good tasting supplement that one can drink intra and is beneficial?

  2. Board Supporter
    jimbuick's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,305
    Rep Power
    7283213
    Level
    98
    Lv. Percent
    24.24%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityReputation VeteranReputation RoyaltyPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by HITFrank View Post
    ...contain amino acids or carbs?

    The easy answer is water, but is there any good tasting supplement that one can drink intra and is beneficial?
    Any particular reason why?


    Ummmm..... Mio? Crystal Light maybe?
    Body Performance Solutions Representative

    Check out our products at www.bpsnutrition.net
    Check out our FaceBook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Body-Performance-Solutions/191322614238042
  3. New Member
    HITFrank's Avatar
    Stats
    6'5"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    168
    Rep Power
    35224
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    2.94%
    Achievements Reputation Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post
    Any particular reason why?


    Ummmm..... Mio? Crystal Light maybe?

    Before my workout I use BCAA and EAA after. I have used BCAA intra with a scoop of Alphamine, but now I wanna try not to consume amino acids or carbs. I want to spread out my intake so that the "proteinpulse" can be more effective.
    •   
       

  4. Board Supporter
    jimbuick's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,305
    Rep Power
    7283213
    Level
    98
    Lv. Percent
    24.24%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityReputation VeteranReputation RoyaltyPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by HITFrank View Post

    Before my workout I use BCAA and EAA after. I have used BCAA intra with a scoop of Alphamine, but now I wanna try not to consume amino acids or carbs. I want to spread out my intake so that the "proteinpulse" can be more effective.
    I've sipped on preworkouts intra before, you could try doing that. Depending on if your preworkout has carbs in it.

    Otherwise your best bet might be the mio or something similar.
    Body Performance Solutions Representative

    Check out our products at www.bpsnutrition.net
    Check out our FaceBook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Body-Performance-Solutions/191322614238042
  5. Diamond Member
    Sean1332's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    11,674
    Rep Power
    3414730
    Level
    89
    Lv. Percent
    78.73%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityReputation VeteranPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    The Gatorade G2's or some other calorie free sports drink
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  6. New Member
    TyMan14's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    168
    Rep Power
    124581
    Level
    20
    Lv. Percent
    13.12%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation Authority

    You could try the poweraid zero. It has electrolytes and no calories or carbs.
  7. Board Sponsor
    R1balla's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    11,957
    Rep Power
    4041559
    Level
    88
    Lv. Percent
    75.44%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityReputation VeteranPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    what would be the point of this? I mean, it wont make or break your gains so why not stick with a BCAA product if you are going to take something intra?
    Hardcore Supps for the Hardcore Trainer
    Use Discount Code AM20 To Save 20% At www.ironflexsupps.com


  8. Advanced Member
    UncleWade's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    519
    Rep Power
    250372
    Level
    26
    Lv. Percent
    76.11%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation Authority

    Compete tastes fantastic and is a really solid intra-workout formula. At the prescribed dose (two scoops), you get nice doses of LCLT (2g), whey hydrolysate (5g) and others that should make a noticeable impact, as well as other ingredients like a strong focus complex and electrolytes.

    Samples are available on our website - Tangy Tangerine, Fruit Punch, and Lemon Drop are all excellent when mixed with 20 ounces of water.
    iFORCE NUTRITION REPRESENTATIVE

    iTRAIN. iCOMPETE. iDOMINATE.
  9. New Member
    iForce Dave's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    477
    Rep Power
    908
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    97.38%
    Achievements Reputation Pro

    what is "proteinpulse" ?
  10. Elite Member
    criticalbench's Avatar
    Stats
    5'1"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,829
    Rep Power
    767475
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    53.21%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    The Gatorade G2's or some other calorie free sports drink
    Gatorade g2 have carbs I hate that!

    Mike
  11. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    Spaniard's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  186 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    7,059
    Rep Power
    5129322
    Level
    89
    Lv. Percent
    83.72%
    Achievements Reputation AuthorityReputation ProReputation VeteranReputation RoyaltyPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by UncleWade View Post
    Compete tastes fantastic and is a really solid intra-workout formula. At the prescribed dose (two scoops), you get nice doses of LCLT (2g), whey hydrolysate (5g) and others that should make a noticeable impact, as well as other ingredients like a strong focus complex and electrolytes.

    Samples are available on our website - Tangy Tangerine, Fruit Punch, and Lemon Drop are all excellent when mixed with 20 ounces of water.
    I've had my eye on compete for quite sometime tbh. I may have to give it a go

    - Valdez
    ~Olympus Labs DemiGod And Rep ~

    AnabolicMinds.com Site Rep
  12. Diamond Member
    Sean1332's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    11,674
    Rep Power
    3414730
    Level
    89
    Lv. Percent
    78.73%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityReputation VeteranPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by criticalbench View Post

    Gatorade g2 have carbs I hate that!

    Mike
    hm I thought there was a carb free Gatorade
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  13. Board Supporter
    jimbuick's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,305
    Rep Power
    7283213
    Level
    98
    Lv. Percent
    24.24%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityReputation VeteranReputation RoyaltyPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by Valdez View Post

    I've had my eye on compete for quite sometime tbh. I may have to give it a go

    - Valdez
    I've always enjoyed it, although recently I've just been doing Gatorade + MBCAA.
    Body Performance Solutions Representative

    Check out our products at www.bpsnutrition.net
    Check out our FaceBook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Body-Performance-Solutions/191322614238042
  14. Elite Member
    TheSwanks's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Age
    30
    Posts
    8,903
    Rep Power
    7167049
    Level
    96
    Lv. Percent
    42.46%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityReputation VeteranReputation RoyaltyPosting ProPosting Authority

    Have some Brondo, it's got electrolytes! It's what plants crave!

    I really don't understand the aversion to bcaa's intra, but if you insist, I'd probably go with the calorie free propel drink
    Formutech Nutrition Rep----------------Check out my CONQU3R log!:
    www.formutechnutrition.com------------- http://goo.gl/G8a4Ss
    www.facebook.com/fnutrition
  15. New Member
    Epolis13's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  143 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    268
    Rep Power
    113805
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    3.62%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by cswalczakny View Post
    Have some Brondo, it's got electrolytes! It's what plants crave!I really don't understand the aversion to bcaa's intra, but if you insist, I'd probably go with the calorie free propel drink
    Solid Idiocracy quote. Compete is really delicious. I love all the flavors and I drink it all throughout the day.
    iForce Nutrition Representative - iTrain. iCompete. iDominate
  16. Senior Member
    mnowak1228's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  234 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,055
    Rep Power
    76674
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    2.38%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityPosting Pro

    iForce Compete, any flavor!!!! I have all three flavors and drink it ALL DAY!!! Fml....
    Getting PUMPED with iForce Compete + Hemavol!!!
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/208823-getting-pumped-iforce.html
  17. New Member
    rhino67jg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    389
    Rep Power
    206922
    Level
    25
    Lv. Percent
    11.48%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation Authority

    Agreed!
  18. New Member
    Epolis13's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  143 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    268
    Rep Power
    113805
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    3.62%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation Authority

    Glad you guys like it
    iForce Nutrition Representative - iTrain. iCompete. iDominate
  19. New Member
    HITFrank's Avatar
    Stats
    6'5"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    168
    Rep Power
    35224
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    2.94%
    Achievements Reputation Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by iForce Dave View Post
    what is "proteinpulse" ?
    BÝrge "Blade/Biorythm Diet" ***erli

    For those not familiar with Layne and his research into optimizing protein synthesis and optimal meal frequency, read his article Protein: how much and how often here… Basically: ingest a protein source providing a minimal threshold of amino acids (leucine in particular) spaced out every 3-5hrs or so to avoid the refractory response. This is when the muscle synthesis machinery stops responding if you keep amino acids constantly elevated. You want pulsation, a wave-like rise and fall in amino acid levels. Given that most foods take a few hours to digest a viable strategy is to eat a meal every 4-5 hours, then ingest a fast protein source such as whey or even BCAAs with or without some carbs 2hrs before and after meals. Carbs actually seem to prolong MPS (Muscle Protein Synthesis) even if they don’t specifically add to the amplitude or total effect.
  20. New Member
    HITFrank's Avatar
    Stats
    6'5"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    168
    Rep Power
    35224
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    2.94%
    Achievements Reputation Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by cswalczakny View Post
    Have some Brondo, it's got electrolytes! It's what plants crave!

    I really don't understand the aversion to bcaa's intra, but if you insist, I'd probably go with the calorie free propel drink
    Coop wrote BCAA's intra would be used as energy/glucose, will they?
  21. New Member
    HITFrank's Avatar
    Stats
    6'5"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    168
    Rep Power
    35224
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    2.94%
    Achievements Reputation Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post
    I've sipped on preworkouts intra before, you could try doing that. Depending on if your preworkout has carbs in it.

    Otherwise your best bet might be the mio or something similar.
    I will continue to try out different pre-workouts to sip on intra, Alphamine is so far doing OK. I use 1 scoop Clout, 1 scoop Prodigy, 2 scoops RecoverPro and 1 cap Versa-1 pre-workout.
  22. Elite Member
    TheSwanks's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Age
    30
    Posts
    8,903
    Rep Power
    7167049
    Level
    96
    Lv. Percent
    42.46%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityReputation VeteranReputation RoyaltyPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by HITFrank View Post
    Cooper said BCAA,s intra would be used as energy/glucose, will they?
    they will certainly be scavenged for energy to a certain extend. The conventional wisdom is that the BCAA's (leucine especially) help to stave off muscle catabolism during training and help to kick start protein synthesis after training

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15173434 "BCAA supplementation before and after exercise has beneficial effects for decreasing exercise-induced muscle damage and promoting muscle-protein synthesis"

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18974721
    "Data show that BCAA supplementation before and after exercise has beneficial effects for decreasing exercise-induced muscle damage and promoting muscle-protein synthesis."

    Also helpful in maintaining the immune system after intense prolonged exertion:

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10912884
    "The data obtained show that BCAA supplementation can reverse the reduction in serum glutamine concentration observed after prolonged intense exercise such as an Olympic triathlon."


    Though I will be the first to admit that Coop knows an aweful lot about an aweful lot, and is probably privy to the latest studies on these things.
    Formutech Nutrition Rep----------------Check out my CONQU3R log!:
    www.formutechnutrition.com------------- http://goo.gl/G8a4Ss
    www.facebook.com/fnutrition
  23. Elite Member
    bolt10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    8,492
    Rep Power
    3525129
    Level
    80
    Lv. Percent
    35.73%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityReputation VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by HITFrank View Post
    I will continue to try out different pre-workouts to sip on intra, Alphamine is so far doing OK. I use 1 scoop Clout, 1 scoop Prodigy, 2 scoops RecoverPro and 1 cap Versa-1 pre-workout.
    The ingredients in Alphamine would be best served taken in a pre-workout setting rather than over a prolonged period such as your workout.

    For most scenarios BCAAs are best taken pre/post rather than intra-workout as you are looking to hit a bolus of aminos (specifically Leucine) rather than a slow ingestion of them. The studies posted above also are accounting for this as pre/post and not during exercise.
    PES Representative
    Don't miss out on the next deal:
    http://pescience.com/insider
    Protein Backed by Science: http://selectprotein.com
  24. New Member
    HITFrank's Avatar
    Stats
    6'5"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    168
    Rep Power
    35224
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    2.94%
    Achievements Reputation Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by cswalczakny View Post
    they will certainly be scavenged for energy to a certain extend. The conventional wisdom is that the BCAA's (leucine especially) help to stave off muscle catabolism during training and help to kick start protein synthesis after training


    Though I will be the first to admit that Coop knows an aweful lot about an aweful lot, and is probably privy to the latest studies on these things.
    Great info, thanx!

    Quote Originally Posted by bolt10 View Post
    The ingredients in Alphamine would be best served taken in a pre-workout setting rather than over a prolonged period such as your workout.

    For most scenarios BCAAs are best taken pre/post rather than intra-workout as you are looking to hit a bolus of aminos (specifically Leucine) rather than a slow ingestion of them. The studies posted above also are accounting for this as pre/post and not during exercise.
    Ok. I usually get a better effect of my pre-workouts when drinking something that contains caffeine. I will try to find something different to spike my energy.
  25. Elite Member
    TheSwanks's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Age
    30
    Posts
    8,903
    Rep Power
    7167049
    Level
    96
    Lv. Percent
    42.46%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityReputation VeteranReputation RoyaltyPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by HITFrank View Post
    Great info, thanx!



    Ok. I usually get a better effect of my pre-workouts when drinking something that contains caffeine. I will try to find something different to spike my energy.
    Our pwo Volatile has a healthy dose of caffeine and gives an awesome pump too. If you want to try it out, I'm running a sample promo:

    Formutech 5 week sample giveaway EXTRAVAGANZA!!!!
    Formutech Nutrition Rep----------------Check out my CONQU3R log!:
    www.formutechnutrition.com------------- http://goo.gl/G8a4Ss
    www.facebook.com/fnutrition
  26. Elite Member
    hvactech's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    9,552
    Rep Power
    2717703
    Level
    78
    Lv. Percent
    89.16%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityReputation VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by cswalczakny View Post

    Our pwo Volatile has a healthy dose of caffeine and gives an awesome pump too. If you want to try it out, I'm running a sample promo:

    Formutech 5 week sample giveaway EXTRAVAGANZA!!!!
    tell me more about this "volatile"
    LG Sciences forum representative
    www.lgsciences.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/249846-lg-sciences-would.html
  27. Elite Member
    TheSwanks's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Age
    30
    Posts
    8,903
    Rep Power
    7167049
    Level
    96
    Lv. Percent
    42.46%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityReputation VeteranReputation RoyaltyPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by hvactech View Post
    tell me more about this "volatile"
    lol, hey buddy! how's life?
    Formutech Nutrition Rep----------------Check out my CONQU3R log!:
    www.formutechnutrition.com------------- http://goo.gl/G8a4Ss
    www.facebook.com/fnutrition
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 28
    Last Post: 07-04-2010, 03:35 AM
  2. Best Intra-Workout Supplement
    By jdboucher in forum Supplements
    Replies: 95
    Last Post: 03-05-2009, 10:45 PM
  3. What to drink during workout
    By beastseven in forum Supplements
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-31-2008, 03:33 PM
  4. What Is Your Favorite Intra-workout Supplement Drink?
    By powerlinelift in forum Supplements
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 05-16-2008, 06:02 PM
  5. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-16-2004, 01:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in