Has anyone used Glucophage (metformin) and creatine too ?

Killler

Killler

Awards
  • Established
Has anyone used Glucophage (metformin) ?

I was prescribed Glucophage for my insulin resistance.

It`s suppose to help lose weight by inhibiting glucose uptake in the small intestine,and also help lose abdominal fat by increasining insulin sensitivity of cells,and thus lowering after-meal insulin levels.

So far I`ve been using it for a month and half,and it did help me lose weight but not the abdominal fat.

Anyway,I wanted to know if anyone is using it and creatine together.

I can`t really go without creatine,altough I do cycle it 3 months on 1 month off.

They are both suppose to be very very rarely potentially hazardous to kidneys.

I wonder if I should stop Glucophage before getting back on creatine?

Is anyone using both of these?

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
For what reasons are you insulin resistant?

Killler

Killler

Awards
  • Established
For what reasons are you insulin resistant?
I don`t really know.

I have low testosterone (280-400).

I suspect I have the Metabolic Syndrome too.

Symptoms and features are:
Fasting hyperglycemia — diabetes mellitus type 2 or impaired fasting glucose, impaired glucose tolerance, or insulin resistance
High blood pressure
Central obesity (also known as visceral, male-pattern or apple-shaped adiposity), overweight with fat deposits mainly around the waist
Decreased HDL cholesterol
Elevated triglycerides

Associated diseases and signs are: hyperuricemia, fatty liver (especially in concurrent obesity) progressing to NAFLD, polycystic ovarian syndrome (in women), and acanthosis nigricans.

I have the highlighted above.

I can keep the triglycerides and blood pressure at normal limits with a strict diet,but HDL is always horrible.

Doc said to do bloods fro Hashimoto`s disease,but I haven`t yet.

I think I read Hashimoto can be the cause of Metabolic S.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not a fan of metformin, but if you NEED it, then go for it. Don't try to do anything fancy with creatine, just take it. Unless you are shooting insulin, I wouldn't bother timing the two.

Mike

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How old are you and what is your diet like?

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I like metformin and keep it around for cheat meals. I have heard that it can lower testosterone but not sure how true it is.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I don`t really know.

I have low testosterone (280-400).

I suspect I have the Metabolic Syndrome too.

Symptoms and features are:
Fasting hyperglycemia — diabetes mellitus type 2 or impaired fasting glucose, impaired glucose tolerance, or insulin resistance
High blood pressure
Central obesity (also known as visceral, male-pattern or apple-shaped adiposity), overweight with fat deposits mainly around the waist
Decreased HDL cholesterol
Elevated triglycerides

Associated diseases and signs are: hyperuricemia, fatty liver (especially in concurrent obesity) progressing to NAFLD, polycystic ovarian syndrome (in women), and acanthosis nigricans.

I have the highlighted above.

I can keep the triglycerides and blood pressure at normal limits with a strict diet,but HDL is always horrible.

Doc said to do bloods fro Hashimoto`s disease,but I haven`t yet.

I think I read Hashimoto can be the cause of Metabolic S.
Metformin and creatine are fine together.

Have you looked into an HMG-CoA Reductase Inhibit and/or Niacin for your HDL?

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I like metformin and keep it around for cheat meals. I have heard that it can lower testosterone but not sure how true it is.
I've heard it lowers IGF-1 levels, that is why it is a huge no no, when on large doses of growth hormone. People wanted to substitute insulin which is required when on large doses of gh, with metformin, but the igf reduction couteracts the point of gh.

Mike

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've heard it lowers IGF-1 levels, that is why it is a huge no no, when on large doses of growth hormone. People wanted to substitute insulin which is required when on large doses of gh, with metformin, but the igf reduction couteracts the point of gh.

Mike
I've heard there are studies showing post meal walks are just as effective as taking metformin. I'll have to see if I can find.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I hate you...

But aside from that, wouldn't the inhibitor reduce total cholesterol thus making is already too low hdl even lower?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S™II using Tapatalk 2

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've heard there are studies showing post meal walks are just as effective as taking metformin. I'll have to see if I can find.
try to get the fat diabetics who are lazy, to try that ahha

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I hate you...

But aside from that, wouldn't the inhibitor reduce total cholesterol thus making is already too low hdl even lower?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S™II using Tapatalk 2
It should actually raise HDL secondary to other effects (in the case of statins), but even if HDL was lowered, the relative amount of LDL reduction would be much greater

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It should actually raise HDL secondary to other effects (in the case of statins), but even if HDL was lowered, the relative amount of LDL reduction would be much greater
Zocor for me always boosts hdl some.. but really drops ldl better :)

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Overall if you want to raise HDL why not try just simply eating more fat? Need I remind you that eggs are delicious? ;)

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/70/6/992.full

Olive oil seems to have a positive effect on HDL - PMID:10357731

Now as for an metformin alternative, I would look into berberine. There are some very promising studies and supporting anecdotal feedback for its effectiveness. I think there is a thread on it here somewhere.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S(TM)II using Tapatalk 2

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not a big fan of the HMG-CoA Reductase drugs personally (and professionally I guess....)

I'd definitely be more focused on the Metabolic syndrome than any other aspect right now as it can lead to major problems.

How long have you had these problems?

For the original question, creatine is fine to take with it. Though if you actually have a doctor monitoring (renal function) like he should I'd let him know.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not a big fan of the HMG-CoA Reductase drugs personally (and professionally I guess....)

I'd definitely be more focused on the Metabolic syndrome than any other aspect right now as it can lead to major problems.

For the original question, creatine is fine to take with it. Though if you actually have a doctor monitoring (renal function) like he should I'd let him know.
Am I seeing a ghost? Grambo is that you?

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Am I seeing a ghost? Grambo is that you?
Hey give me a break I am around! Mainly in Purus threads, section and contests.
I just did one actually so there!

Have spread the love over about 7-10 forums, twitter and facebook so haven't been getting as much normal posting as much as normal.

And there's that pesky doctorate school too :D
Almost done with didactic portion though so hopefully more forum time.

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Have spread the love over about 7-10 forums, twitter and facebook so haven't been getting as much normal posting as much as normal.

Sounds like you are over worked and need another rep ;)

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Looks like your maintaining a good pysique while in doctorate school nice work. Pretty shredded

Killler

Killler

Awards
  • Established
Metformin and creatine are fine together.

I`ve looked into niacin,and I have some high dose niacin too.

But I understand a specific form of niacin is only effective.

Are you sure about the metformin and creatine being ok?

Wouldn`t wanna lose my renal function lol.

My creatine and glutamine arrived just the other day.

If I do decide to not quit metformin before starting these two,I`m gonna cut the metformin down to 250 mg a a day.

But still,I`m worried.

And when my creatine arrived,I couldn`t believe it.
Of all the boxes of creatine that say absolutely nothing,this one said:
"Consult a physician if you have impaired kidney function or are taking any prescription medications that affect kidney function."

I was prescribed 1000 mg metformin but I`m only using 500 mg,and I keep losing weight.I lost almost 20 lbs despite eating a hamburger for dinner and having frequent ice cream cheat meals.Although doc said to avoid sweets,pork or eggs from now on.

I haven`t lost just abdominal fat as she suggested,so I`m ****ed there.I`m losing it overall.

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I`ve looked into niacin,and I have some high dose niacin too.

But I understand a specific form of niacin is only effective.

Are you sure about the metformin and creatine being ok?

Wouldn`t wanna lose my renal function lol.

My creatine and glutamine arrived just the other day.

If I do decide to not quit metformin before starting these two,I`m gonna cut the metformin down to 250 mg a a day.

But still,I`m worried.

And when my creatine arrived,I couldn`t believe it.
Of all the boxes of creatine that say absolutely nothing,this one said:
"Consult a physician if you have impaired kidney function or are taking any prescription medications that affect kidney function."

I was prescribed 1000 mg metformin but I`m only using 500 mg,and I keep losing weight.I lost almost 20 lbs despite eating a hamburger for dinner and having frequent ice cream cheat meals.Although doc said to avoid sweets,pork or eggs from now on.

I haven`t lost just abdominal fat as she suggested,so I`m ****ed there.I`m losing it overall.
Is your doctor aware you're aren't taking the dose she wants, or are you nitrating up?
I really wouldn't cut it down or anything and definitely clean up diet. Overall health is the most important thing over being big, in my personal opinion.
Why did she suhpggest avoiding eggs? Cholesterol? Ha

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Patients messing around with dosing without consultation is a pet peeve for health care professionals.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Patients messing around with dosing without consultation is a pet peeve for health care professionals.
Yes, but sometimes it requires individual research to assist a physcian in determining correct dosage. Typically though, you don't alter your dose without speaking to them.

Mike

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yes, but sometimes it requires individual research to assist a physcian in determining correct dosage. Typically though, you don't alter your dose without speaking to them.

Mike
I agree that people should be active in their healthcare not passive and believing doctors without question. I specifically meant doing it and changing dosing on your own not saying anything. Especially with drugs you want to dose correctly and monitor.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not looking up to them as gods and blindly following their recommendations and questioning them is also a pet peeve amongst health care professionals.. they get over it

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not looking up to them as gods and blindly following their recommendations and questioning them is also a pet peeve amongst health care professionals.. they get over it
Not exactly what I was implying haha

It's not in your best interest considering pharmaceutical treatment, especially in a disease state to play fast and loose with dosing or therapy without their knowledge. Not saying you have to do everything they say without question.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Type two diabetea is almost completely reversible.... why not try to either completely rid yourself of pharmaceuticals or work your way down to the lowest dose possible? I don't know your situation or what form u have just thinking outloud

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree that people should be active in their healthcare not passive and believing doctors without question. I specifically meant doing it and changing dosing on your own not saying anything. Especially with drugs you want to dose correctly and monitor.
Metformin's renal toxicity is what has me cautious. Plus I sh*t myself silly, I strictly use it for cheap/refeed meals in contest prep.

Mike

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Type two diabetea is almost completely reversible.... why not try to either completely rid yourself of pharmaceuticals or work your way down to the lowest dose possible? I don't know your situation or what form u have just thinking outloud
Reversable? I think you mean treatable?

Mike

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Metformin's renal toxicity is what has me cautious. Plus I sh*t myself silly, I strictly use it for cheap/refeed meals in contest prep.

Mike
Oh yeah bloating/gas/GI is its major adverse effect. Its a high percentage. It has some renal toxicity which is why I mentioned he'd better have a doctor who is watching those labs (Scr).

Those are the top limiting factors and need to be watched/reported. Always know what you're putting in your body.

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Reversable? I think you mean treatable?

Mike
It's somewhat reversible in certain stages/situations. Particularly the "self-imposed" DM 2 that comes from obesity. By that I mean I've seen people not need their meds and fasting glucose controlled by changing diet and losing weight.

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Exercise is huge for insulin sensitivity as well obviously.
Some are just genetically pre-disposed though.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It's somewhat reversible in certain stages/situations. Particularly the "self-imposed" DM 2 that comes from obesity. By that I mean I've seen people not need their meds and fasting glucose controlled by changing diet and losing weight.
Yes reversible. Grambo said it better than I. Not in all cases...I'm sure.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oh yeah bloating/gas/GI is its major adverse effect. Its a high percentage. It has some renal toxicity which is why I mentioned he'd better have a doctor who is watching those labs (Scr).

Those are the top limiting factors and need to be watched/reported. Always know what you're putting in your body.
I shiat myself silly on metformin lmao

Killler

Killler

Awards
  • Established

If I really do have the metabolic,I guess I`ve had it all my life.

Killler

Killler

Awards
  • Established
Is your doctor aware you're aren't taking the dose she wants, or are you nitrating up?
I really wouldn't cut it down or anything and definitely clean up diet. Overall health is the most important thing over being big, in my personal opinion.
Why did she suhpggest avoiding eggs? Cholesterol? Ha
I always like to take the lowest effective dose.

I`m not in touch with this doc really but I can call her on the phone if needed.

Killler

Killler

Awards
  • Established
So what`s the verdict on this guys?

Definitely OK together?

I`ll be lowering the metformin to 250 mg per day.

I want to start my creatine,I`m in in need of some strength gain.

And I`ve trimmed down nicely with Glucophage,wouldn`t want to quit it now,summer is approaching..

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Unless you know you have some renal impairment I wouldn't worry much about the combination no. Like I said they should be periodically checking Scr though as metformin does have some renal toxicity.

Just wondering, do you know what your fasting glucose levels come in when you test them?

Also what dose are you on right now if I've missed that?