Regarding BCAAs: Leucine/Isoleucine Ratio - AnabolicMinds.com

Regarding BCAAs: Leucine/Isoleucine Ratio

1. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  181 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Regarding BCAAs: Leucine/Isoleucine Ratio

I recently switched from 4:1 to 2:1 based only on flavor, and was curious how much difference it makes and what is supposed to be better. I would also like to know what other forum members are taking as far as Amino Acids, what flavors are good, etc.
    Purus Labs Natural Phenomenon
    randall@thesquatjedi.com
    www.puruslabs.net

2. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I don't know your answer so I'm subbed for replies. I take NPs bulk Modern BCAA 8:1 ratio, 80 servings at 10g/serving for 30 bucks right now. I've only tried the peach tea flavor. It tastes like a ghetto crystal light but I like it. Lemon lime Gatorade powder mixes well in it. I also picked up BSN AminoX just because it was 15 bucks at the PX when I was shopping, it's alright. It's blueberry flavored so I throw in some blueberry Gatorade. I've also thrown a scoop of Compete in with the modern BCAA. If anything, you can always pick up some bulk Leucine to add to your 2:1 product.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.

Ive been using NPs bulk modern bcaas as well,I'm liking the fruit punch mixed with sum mio fruit punch. I've used extend b4 but bulk modern bcaas r my go to. Plus they're cheap
    •   

4. Diamond Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Leucine is king. 2:1:1 does have data, but so do other ratios. Leucine is the prime mTOR/MPS stimulator, it is ketogenic and less readily oxidized, and it appears to positively affect other markers like insulin sensitivity and fat storage patterns
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  215 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

2 : 1 is a good ratio so that means you are looking for a 2:1:1 product which there are tons of.
    Formutech Nutrition Rep --------------Team IronClad Physiques!!!
    www.formutechnutrition.com------------------ NPC Competitor
    www.facebook.com/fnutrition
  6. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    Leucine is king. 2:1:1 does have data, but so do other ratios. Leucine is the prime mTOR/MPS stimulator, it is ketogenic and less readily oxidized, and it appears to positively affect other markers like insulin sensitivity and fat storage patterns
    Would you say that a 4:1:1 or an 8:1:1 might be more suited for post workout to stimulate mTOR and use the 2:1:1 for intra? This is my current protocol.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-gels: Arachidonic Acid made affordable
  7. Senior Member

I take only leucine. 10g on workout days.
  8. Diamond Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    Would you say that a 4:1:1 or an 8:1:1 might be more suited for post workout to stimulate mTOR and use the 2:1:1 for intra? This is my current protocol.
    I just don't see why BCAAs would ever be used intraworkout. Unless you're hitting sufficient plasma levels of leucine, the effects are equipotent to carbohydrates, and the AAs will simply be used for gluconeogenesis/ketogenesis. In fact, even if you do reach plasma leucine levels, BCAAs are so prone to oxidation, and exercise is such an oxidative stimulus, that they will be used for energy anyway.

Cliffs: Large bolus of leucine preworkout.

Carbs intra if needed
  9. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I just don't see why BCAAs would ever be used intraworkout. Unless you're hitting sufficient plasma levels of leucine, the effects are equipotent to carbohydrates, and the AAs will simply be used for gluconeogenesis/ketogenesis. In fact, even if you do reach plasma leucine levels, BCAAs are so prone to oxidation, and exercise is such an oxidative stimulus, that they will be used for energy anyway.

Cliffs: High bolus of leucine preworkout.

Carbs intra if needed
    I take them intra as more of a precautionary method than a need for energy. During lifting sessions all I have is water intra but for running I always have CHO + BCAAs.

I use BCAA's pre lifting and post as their is good evidence for both protocols. And intra during HIIT and LISS although honestly, I have never noticed anything different but nor do I expect to.
  10. Diamond Member

I take them intra as more of a precautionary method than a need for energy. During lifting sessions all I have is water intra but for running I always have CHO + BCAAs.

I use BCAA's pre lifting and post as their is good evidence for both protocols. And intra during HIIT and LISS although honestly, I have never noticed anything different but nor do I expect to.
    If you're tapping deep enough into energy reserves that glycogen gets depleted intraworkout, then they will be of ergogenic benefit. Taking BCAAs + carbs is a great idea if you're seeking anabolism, as the carbs have a protective effect on the oxidation of leucine
  11. Senior Member

*confused*
  12. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by AdelV View Post
    *confused*
    At?
  13. Senior Member

At?
    Just all these timing n stuff! I got mates who take no supps and look unreal, then others who have proper diet/training/supps and look avg! Its so much overload for little effects I believe. Ive rarely noticed a diff from supplements, let alone bcaas. Ive just bought them again as I train first this in the morning before eating, figured it may help.
  14. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by AdelV View Post
    Just all these timing n stuff! I got mates who take no supps and look unreal, then others who have proper diet/training/supps and look avg! Its so much overload for little effects I believe. Ive rarely noticed a diff from supplements, let alone bcaas. Ive just bought them again as I train first this in the morning before eating, figured it may help.
    Luck of the genetic draw, or perhaps they use something a little stronger? BCAA's won't make you huge, but they help switch the body from AMPK activation to mTOR (well leucine does) which is advantageous.
  15. Senior Member

Luck of the genetic draw, or perhaps they use something a little stronger? BCAA's won't make you huge, but they help switch the body from AMPK activation to mTOR (well leucine does) which is advantageous.
    Im trying this now! I take 6.2g leucine before my work out as part of one of the products. Im not sure what to expect, ain't a huge eater and don't do cardio so it's like being limbo. Lol.
  16. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  181 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Thanks for all the help coop, you are a valuable and reliable source of great info.

Purus Labs Rep
    Mobile post
    randall@thesquatjedi.com
    www.puruslabs.net
  17. New Member

Leucine is important 2:1:1. Most products carry 2:1:1 ratio.
  18. New Member
    Stats
    6'5"   lbs.

Carbs intra if needed
    Is two servings of RecoverPro (8g of Leucine) sufficient pre-workout?
  19. Elite Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by HITFrank View Post
    Is two servings of RecoverPro (8g of Leucine) sufficient pre-workout?
    Should be plenty (depending on weight). Aim for .045-.06g per kg of bwt.
    PES Representative
    Don't miss out on the next deal:
    http://pescience.com/insider
    Protein Backed by Science: http://selectprotein.com
  20. PESCIENCE.com
    Stats
    6'0"  0 lbs.

Leucine is king...
    Amino-IV - Not Your Average Amino
    SELECT Protein
    - Ultra-Premium Blend
    ALPHAMINE - Thermogenics...Redefined
  21. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

In for more. Ive always dropped 2 servings of bulk modern into a shaker, drank half intra, and drank the other half post as Ive read data on both of these dosing methods. Havent tried preworkout. I might after reading this thread though.
  22. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Carbs intra if needed
    What about fasted training? Would it be better for fat loss to consume my BCAAs post workout instead of during? I like to use AP pre-workout and then sip on BCAAs during training. The aa's are essentially being used as an energy source? Thanks for the help Coop.
  23. Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by MonteCedillo View Post
    What about fasted training? Would it be better for fat loss to consume my BCAAs post workout instead of during? I like to use AP pre-workout and then sip on BCAAs during training. The aa's are essentially being used as an energy source? Thanks for the help Coop.
    It is wise to look at everything as far as net anabolism/catabolism is concerned. Muscle anabolism will be lower but adipose catabolism will be higher if you don't take BCAAs preworkout. Is that consistent with your goals? Only you have the answer.

If you're using the BCAAs intraworkout, their primary fate will be fuel, yes.
  24. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

It is wise to look at everything as far as net anabolism/catabolism is concerned. Muscle anabolism will be lower but adipose catabolism will be higher if you don't take BCAAs preworkout. Is that consistent with your goals? Only you have the answer.

If you're using the BCAAs intraworkout, their primary fate will be fuel, yes.
    This is very helpful. I'm looking forward to a cut and I want to maximize fat loss while maintaining as much progress I've made, over the past year, as I can. I think I will switch my BCAA consumption to post-workout to hold me over till my fed state. I will give this a try for a few weeks and see how that treats me. Appreciate the insight.
  25. Enhanced Body Formulations REP
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.

And if your eating post, low carb. Skip the intra workout. No need, correct?
    ...::: EBF REP :::...
    Recompadrol-AAv2-Metabolic Pow(d)er
    THE FUTURE OF LEAN
  26. Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by runner_79 View Post
    And if your eating post, low carb. Skip the intra workout. No need, correct?
    Are you training fasted? There are benefits to intraworkout leucine supplementation for maintaining already elevated plasma leucine
  27. Enhanced Body Formulations REP
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.

Fasted.
    Just leucine? So modern BCAAs are irrelevant, but a mix of say zero cal powerade with 10g plain leucine is g2g with fat loss as main determining factor
    THE FUTURE OF LEAN
  28. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by runner_79 View Post
    Fasted.
    Just leucine? So modern BCAAs are irrelevant, but a mix of say zero cal powerade with 10g plain leucine is g2g with fat loss as main determining factor
    How longs your workout for?
  29. Enhanced Body Formulations REP
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.

1 hour MAX.
    I will do shuttle's post workout as some HIIT training and conditioning.
    THE FUTURE OF LEAN
  30. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

so if i take in a shake 60 min preworkout i dont need bcaas intra? what about pwo cardio? is there a tiem frame where bcaas will be beneficial?Thanks!
  31. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'1"  236 lbs.

Hey Doja the new Apple Fusion BCAA+SAA is off the chain. Amazing taste.

​" If you're looking for a work horse.......I'm no Clydesdale."
  32. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  181 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Montego1 View Post
    Hey Doja the new Apple Fusion BCAA+SAA is off the chain. Amazing taste.
    Any log opportunites available?
    randall@thesquatjedi.com
    www.puruslabs.net
  33. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'1"  236 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Randoja View Post

Any log opportunites available?
    We just had about 5 guys chosen to log

​" If you're looking for a work horse.......I'm no Clydesdale."
  34. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.

I like BCAAs intra workout, muscle sparing. Fat loss will occur regardless if calories are low
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Best tasting BCAA/Leucine powder
    By Whacked in forum Supplements
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-18-2007, 11:09 PM
  2. kwick carb with bulk CEE/BCAA/Leucine
    By rxp1997 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-12-2007, 09:55 PM
  3. BCAA, LEUCINE, CM setup
    By wantstobeinshap in forum Supplements