Pins & Needles

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I aint talking about pinning yourself....hahaha

Looking for anything which may aid my nerves/bloow supply? I constantly wake up with semi pins & needles in my arms. Since hurting my lower back, at times in my right leg when i sit.

I know as its on going, must see my Dr aswell. I once saw a Chinese Dr for acupuncture and it dissappeared fot a while.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
are you sleeping on a certain side of your body?
I have no idea, I generally believe I have blood flow issues! If i put my arm above my head it will start to fall asleep pretty quickly!

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Low back issue shouldnt give you problems with your arms.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
When it's caused by actual sleep and not simply lying down, it's generally bloodlfow. Typically, it's because you're occluding bloodflow on your own accord, while sleeping. Not much you can do supplement-wise.

rhino67jg

rhino67jg

Awards
I have had similar feelings of pins & needles through my arms down to my fingers while lying in bed. I blamed it on arthritis in my shoulders. Recently I placed two 2X4's, nailed together, under my mattress where my head would rest, to elevate the mattress slightly. I have found that it helped my sleep quality & I have not had pins & needles sense. I also use infinite labs... cyclo rem to help with deep sleep. One tiny scoop & I have had better quality sleep. Good luck.

OKnative

Awards
Thoracic outlet syndrome? Clinical test: Roos, Wright or Adson maneuvers

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i dont know if this would do anything, but are you taking any blood thinners right now like 81mg of aspirin?

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i dont know if this would do anything, but are you taking any blood thinners right now like 81mg of aspirin?
Nope. I go months without supplements. I think it starter happening when I starter weight lifting. Maybe having 18" biceps doesnt help? Lol.

It happens alot when im sleeping, even if im awake and lying on the sofa it seems really easy to cut bloody supply off. Just wanted to know is under lying issue. Ohwell, I guess i have bad blood flow and nothing can change it.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nope. I go months without supplements. I think it starter happening when I starter weight lifting. Maybe having 18" biceps doesnt help? Lol.

It happens alot when im sleeping, even if im awake and lying on the sofa it seems really easy to cut bloody supply off. Just wanted to know is under lying issue. Ohwell, I guess i have bad blood flow and nothing can change it.
mr.cooper69 can help me with this because im just taking a shot in the dark but maybe you have a clot and when you lie down, blood isnt getting past it and is whats causing the tingling sensation. 81mg of aspirin is safe and is a blood thinner. maybe you can try that for a few weeks and see if it helps (watch your blood pressure though. you dont want to take this and get low bp)

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
mr.cooper69 can help me with this because im just taking a shot in the dark but maybe you have a clot and when you lie down, blood isnt getting past it and is whats causing the tingling sensation. 81mg of aspirin is safe and is a blood thinner. maybe you can try that for a few weeks and see if it helps (watch your blood pressure though. you dont want to take this and get low bp)
I could try it, but could I live off it? Arm wise, its both arms.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I could try it, but could I live off it? Arm wise, its both arms.
if its both arms, it could be a more serious issue then. and i have had patients who have been on 81mg of aspirin for years, doctors orders. just confirm this with your doctor. its a blood thinner so if you dont have high bp you really shouldnt take it unless your doc is monitoring

nidhogg

Awards
I dont believe that what you experience is from insufficient blood supply but rather from a nerve being pinched, probably a bulging disc or some other dislocation. Its pretty hard to cut off blood supply to arms even if you wanted to do it.

Considering that you dont feel it constantly but only while lying down rules out thrombosis.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i mean, its really hard to know without doing a full assessment and more

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
It's very unlikely that he's forming a transient thrombus when sitting. What he's describing is prototypical parasthesia, which unfortunately has a ton of causes ranging from vitamin deficits to hemolysis to nerve impingement. The best thing to do would be to get some diagnostic bloodwork done

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It's very unlikely that he's forming a transient thrombus when sitting. What he's describing is prototypical parasthesia, which unfortunately has a ton of causes ranging from vitamin deficits to hemolysis to nerve impingement. The best thing to do would be to get some diagnostic bloodwork done
Thanks for the feedback, Ill bring it up with my Dr. Should i be aiming to test for anything particular ?

bsgalloway

Awards
After having a parathyroidectomy, I get the pins and needles sensation quite often due to low blood calcium.

OKnative

Awards
Most likely labs (metabolic abns), basic plain films (bone abns like extra rib), possible US (assess vessel compression), gold standard is MRI. Usually all these studies are performed performing postural maneuvers.
Easy home test: raise your arms all the way, above your head. Repeatedly open and close your hands (make fist) for 3 minutes. If reproduces your symptoms look to 'thoracic outlet syndrome'. Though not a common pathology in general population, it's more common in athletes and those who routinely lift heavy objects, especially overhead.
This is a commonly missed diagnosis. Just want you to be aware of this possible cause of your symptoms.