Intra Workout nutrition

  1. Intra Workout nutrition


    I have been using Xtend during workouts, recently I switched to ModernBCAA. Seeing how these are both BCAA's should the inclusion of EAA's be beneficial? Why wouldn't EAA's be considered for intraworkout purposes?


  2. The inclusion of EAA's would absolutely be beneficial. This is why Compete offers a full spectrum of amino acids via Whey Protein Hydrolysate. BCAA's are good, however they are incapable of increasing intra-muscular amino acid concentrations while exercising. This is altered by adding in EAA's.

    BCAA intake affects protein metabolism in muscle after but not during exercise in humans
    Copenhagen Muscle Research Centre, Rigshospitalet, DK-2200 Copenhagen N, Denmark Submitted 5 July 2000

  3. Do you have a BCAA and EAA profile of WPH? WPH was popular a couple years ago as I used in PWO because fast absorbtion and less GI issue compared to just WPC. Back in the day I would use just whey during workout for this effect, got the method from book Nutrient Timing, good read.
    •   
       


  4. formutech's endurance has a great profile for pre, intra, post workout...

  5. How long are you guys working out for where you feel an intra-workout supplement is necessary. I mean, if you take a pre-workout, then guzzle a shake when yoour done, wouldn't that suffice?

    I can see maybe during an endurance sport, but I sure as hell am not lifting for hours on end.

  6. depends on multiple variables....i normally train fasted
  7. Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar

    basically if you have eaten a meal within 2-3 hours before working out with protein in it, the main purpose the BCAAs will have is boosting protein synthesis rates. The EAAs aren't necessary for that, you could get pretty much the same effect from leucine solo. Now if you are talking about going 6-8 hours between meals, an EAA drink in the middle is a nice idea.
    Animis Rep
    facebook.com/xAnimis
    animis.org/forum

  8. Quote Originally Posted by SXIPro View Post
    How long are you guys working out for where you feel an intra-workout supplement is necessary. I mean, if you take a pre-workout, then guzzle a shake when yoour done, wouldn't that suffice?

    I can see maybe during an endurance sport, but I sure as hell am not lifting for hours on end.
    Helping increase rest time between sets. I personally love using Compete for sports.
    iForce Nutrition Representative
    iTrain. iCompete. iDominate…iForce!
    www.iforcenutrition.com

  9. BCAA's are ample for during a workut; considering they are the only ones to get utilized as fuel during workouts. Intra workout is too sustain a workout without putting to much stress on the G.I. tract (which will divert blood from the brain and muscles to digest things, not that EAAs fall into this category though). Save what isn't necessary for post (BCAA's go down well- as does leucine which is one BCAA).

    ideally you want AMPK to remain activated during a workout and then utilize other substrates post workout to get mTOR activated.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-gels: Arachidonic Acid made affordable

  10. Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    basically if you have eaten a meal within 2-3 hours before working out with protein in it, the main purpose the BCAAs will have is boosting protein synthesis rates. The EAAs aren't necessary for that, you could get pretty much the same effect from leucine solo. Now if you are talking about going 6-8 hours between meals, an EAA drink in the middle is a nice idea.
    i agree with this. btw, i love to take modern bcaa intra workout.
    Iron Forged Nutrition Rep

    use code "R1balla" to receive a discount

  11. Quote Originally Posted by PuZo View Post
    Helping increase rest time between sets. I personally love using Compete for sports.
    Agreed, and using this pre-contest right now with my training very intense, it has helped me big time since I get little to no rest between sets!

    Mike
  12. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    Spaniard's Avatar

    Re: Intra Workout nutrition


    Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    BCAA's are ample for during a workut; considering they are the only ones to get utilized as fuel during workouts. Intra workout is too sustain a workout without putting to much stress on the G.I. tract (which will divert blood from the brain and muscles to digest things, not that EAAs fall into this category though). Save what isn't necessary for post (BCAA's go down well- as does leucine which is one BCAA).

    ideally you want AMPK to remain activated during a workout and then utilize other substrates post workout to get mTOR activated.
    This guy repeatedly speaks truth, very knowledgeable and consistent resource.

    - Valdez

  13. I used to use an intra workout by vpx that I liked. Can't remember the name. Mainly BCAAs and some other stuff. I used it rather than a pwo being stim sensitive. I know the brand isn't that great but I got one fee and put it to use. Wasn't bad. Not really lacking without the use of one though.

  14. Quote Originally Posted by mikeg313 View Post
    I used to use an intra workout by vpx that I liked. Can't remember the name. Mainly BCAAs and some other stuff. I used it rather than a pwo being stim sensitive. I know the brand isn't that great but I got one fee and put it to use. Wasn't bad. Not really lacking without the use of one though.
    no-synthesize

  15. Quote Originally Posted by PuZo View Post
    Helping increase rest time between sets. I personally love using Compete for sports.
    Maybe I need a translator. How does a supplement help increase rest time? So, you are saying it makes rest time longer??? This makes no sense to me. If you want more rest time, just rest longer.

  16. Quote Originally Posted by SXIPro View Post
    Maybe I need a translator. How does a supplement help increase rest time? So, you are saying it makes rest time longer??? This makes no sense to me. If you want more rest time, just rest longer.
    I noticed that too lol.

    I assume he meant decrease rest intervals. Unless he is saying Compete decreases someone's conditioning levels lol.
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com

  17. Quote Originally Posted by bdcc View Post
    I noticed that too lol.

    I assume he meant decrease rest intervals. Unless he is saying Compete decreases someone's conditioning levels lol.
    he meant decreases rest between sets. That's one of the biggest things people note while taking Compete.

    In my opinion, its due to the extra ATP production brought on by L-Carnitine Fumarate

  18. Quote Originally Posted by bdcc View Post
    I noticed that too lol.

    I assume he meant decrease rest intervals. Unless he is saying Compete decreases someone's conditioning levels lol.
    haha yes, we made a product, to make you worse

  19. Quote Originally Posted by criticalbench View Post

    haha yes, we made a product, to make you worse
    Great marketing tactic.

    Market it as if it makes you better and then when people get worse they buy more, its a never ending cycle!

  20. Not trying to pimp but I will. I have tried a variety and IMHO purple wrath is tried and true. All that have been mentioned here offer benefits, without question, however, I have experienced great results from PW from day 1. Quicker recovery between sets and quicker recovery from the work out in general. You can't go wrong.
    Official Get Diesel Representative
    PM me with any questions

  21. Quote Originally Posted by AE14 View Post
    Not trying to pimp but I will. I have tried a variety and IMHO purple wrath is tried and true. All that have been mentioned here offer benefits, without question, however, I have experienced great results from PW from day 1. Quicker recovery between sets and quicker recovery from the work out in general. You can't go wrong.
    I do agreed purple wrath is great and probably my favorite but I only get it every so often because of cost. On a side note I just order some inner armour BCAA 6.2 g L-Leucine per scoop. Figured I'd give it a try. My go to's are usually xtend or Amino both priced pretty fairly. I lift fasted.

  22. Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    BCAA's are ample for during a workut; considering they are the only ones to get utilized as fuel during workouts. Intra workout is too sustain a workout without putting to much stress on the G.I. tract (which will divert blood from the brain and muscles to digest things, not that EAAs fall into this category though). Save what isn't necessary for post (BCAA's go down well- as does leucine which is one BCAA).

    ideally you want AMPK to remain activated during a workout and then utilize other substrates post workout to get mTOR activated.
    I agree with this. Except for the part about the brain, which is priority #1 for cardiovascular regulation under all conditions
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES

  23. Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    I agree with this. Except for the part about the brain, which is priority #1 for cardiovascular regulation under all conditions
    Haha, I should've just left it at muscles then
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-gels: Arachidonic Acid made affordable
  24. Re: Intra Workout nutrition


    No love for EAAs?

    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/ea...jcn.111.017061

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S™II using Tapatalk 2
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

  25. Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    No love for EAAs?

    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/ea...jcn.111.017061

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S™II using Tapatalk 2
    Yeah but thats for enhancing protein synthesis post workout, i.e. a shift from AMPK phosphorylation to mTOR activation. And Leucine is also a BCAA (which was the primary EAA of interest) so wouldn't BCAA intake do pretty much the same thing?
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-gels: Arachidonic Acid made affordable

  26. Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post

    I agree with this. Except for the part about the brain, which is priority #1 for cardiovascular regulation under all conditions
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post

    Yeah but thats for enhancing protein synthesis post workout, i.e. a shift from AMPK phosphorylation to mTOR activation. And Leucine is alsBCAA (which was the primary EAA of interest) so wouldn't BCAA intake do pretty much the same thing?
    So what is the best way to keep AMPK elevated? Is maximizing protein synthesis via 4g leu enough?

    Also what is the best way to switch that from AMPK to mTOR during post workout?
    Would whey isolate with 4g leu and some fast acting carbs be adequate?

    I'd research it but i'm at work and also on my phone..

    Thank you all in advance for your response. This thread seems to have allot of good info.

  27. Quote Originally Posted by aceroni View Post
    So what is the best way to keep AMPK elevated? Is maximizing protein synthesis via 4g leu enough?

    Also what is the best way to switch that from AMPK to mTOR during post workout?
    Would whey isolate with 4g leu and some fast acting carbs be adequate?

    I'd research it but i'm at work and also on my phone..

    Thank you all in advance for your response. This thread seems to have allot of good info.
    Ideally you just want AMPK activated during a workout session, because it increases lipid oxidation and glucose transport. After exercise you want to activate mTOR which is done primarily by Leucine (hence why BCAA's or Leucine may be a good idea to supplement with to activate this pathway, or foods rich in Leucine.

    Post exercise CHo supplement can restore protein balance and an attenuation of 3-MH excretion, this process can last up to 24hrs post exercise following a CHO/ protein meal. Insulin (bought out via CHO) can decrease protein degradation folowing resistance exercise.

    EAA's and BCAAs are prime during this time period following exercise as they increase the sensitivity of the muscle to the protein stimulatory effects of insulin but again, this is largely the role of Leucine (which is in both EAA and BCAA supplements).

    As for dosing, 5-10g maybe of Leucine Post workout
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-gels: Arachidonic Acid made affordable

  28. Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post

    Ideally you just want AMPK activated during a workout session, because it increases lipid oxidation and glucose transport. After exercise you want to activate mTOR which is done primarily by Leucine (hence why BCAA's or Leucine may be a good idea to supplement with to activate this pathway, or foods rich in Leucine.

    Post exercise CHo supplement can restore protein balance and an attenuation of 3-MH excretion, this process can last up to 24hrs post exercise following a CHO/ protein meal. Insulin (bought out via CHO) can decrease protein degradation folowing resistance exercise.

    EAA's and BCAAs are prime during this time period following exercise as they increase the sensitivity of the muscle to the protein stimulatory effects of insulin but again, this is largely the role of Leucine (which is in both EAA and BCAA supplements).

    As for dosing, 5-10g maybe of Leucine Post workout
    So is there much point to bcaa during training if they're needed most post

  29. Quote Originally Posted by aceroni View Post

    So is there much point to bcaa during training if they're needed most post
    Yeah they play a role in intra workout as well.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-gels: Arachidonic Acid made affordable

  30. I was actually looking at usp labs bcaa product, I noticed it had electrolytes, and around 4 g leu a scoop

  31. During the last 3yrs i have tried many intraworkout supplements... Atomic 7,,Strive,,Xtend,,Modern BCAA,,Purple Wraath,, purple Psyko,,Power Shock,,recoverpro,,recoup,,ami nolast,,xf ice, and a few others. of all that i have tried only 2 have made a difference during my workouts and after my workouts that i can actually feel make a difference. Sizeon max preformance A very good intra topped only by the king of intraworkout INTRABOLIC. every time i try a new intra i regret it and go back to intrabolic. i have been thinking about trying iforce Compete for a while now but dont really wanna be dissapointed once again,,

  32. Quote Originally Posted by aceroni View Post
    I was actually looking at usp labs bcaa product, I noticed it had electrolytes, and around 4 g leu a scoop
    Added electrolytes will benefit long duration workouts (over say 90 minutes+) more than anything, or unless you sweat a alot. It won't do you any harm though, so the added electrolytes with BCAA will help you with long duration HIIT or LISS.

    But for short workouts, it won't make too much of a difference.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-gels: Arachidonic Acid made affordable

  33. Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post

    Added electrolytes will benefit long duration workouts (over say 90 minutes+) more than anything, or unless you sweat a alot. It won't do you any harm though, so the added electrolytes with BCAA will help you with long duration HIIT or LISS.

    But for short workouts, it won't make too much of a difference.
    Thank you for the reply jiggz. I usually lift between one to two hours, and I sweat like a dog no matter what

  34. Quote Originally Posted by aceroni View Post
    I was actually looking at usp labs bcaa product, I noticed it had electrolytes, and around 4 g leu a scoop
    The electrolytes are awesome That is what I love about compete, it contains electrolytes.

    Mike

  35. Quote Originally Posted by aceroni View Post
    I was actually looking at usp labs bcaa product, I noticed it had electrolytes, and around 4 g leu a scoop
    Been using that since it came out. Love the electrolytes, the amount of leucine, the form of glutamine (Sustamine) that has better stability in water, no artificial coloring, and the flavor which isn't too aggressive.

  36. Quote Originally Posted by newbreed View Post

    Been using that since it came out. Love the electrolytes, the amount of leucine, the form of glutamine (Sustamine) that has better stability in water, no artificial coloring, and the flavor which isn't too aggressive.
    I didn't even realize they had a more stable form of glutamine.
    Cheers m8
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Pre, Intra, and Post workout Nutrition
    By rockme in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-13-2013, 06:33 PM
  2. intra workout nutrition - which product?
    By adil in forum Supplements
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 01-25-2010, 05:22 PM
  3. ATHLETIC EDGE NUTRITION-New Intra-Workout article in MD
    By Athletic Edge N in forum Company Promotions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-02-2008, 03:59 PM
  4. Post your pre/post workout nutrition regimens...
    By TMack40 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 04-06-2003, 06:21 AM
  5. Post your pre/post workout nutrition regimens...
    By TMack40 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-21-2002, 10:10 PM
Log in
Log in