Toxic hepatitis in group of 20 male bodybuilders on supplements

  1. Toxic hepatitis in group of 20 male bodybuilders on supplements



    Timcheh-Hariri A, Balali-Mood M, Aryan E, Sadeghi M, Riahi-Zanjani B.


    Medical Toxicology Research Center, School of Medicine, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, and Department of Clinical Bacteriology, Ghaem University Hospital, Mashhad, Iran.

    Abstract

    Dietary supplements have been used for decades for enhancing muscle growth. The harm caused by some of these products is well documented. We investigated and reported toxic hepatitis in 20 male athletes following self-prescribing of a number of dietary supplements which are lesser known. The patients' ages ranged from 24 to 32 with a mean of 28 years. They had taken three kinds of supplements for 1 year including testosterone optimizer agent T Bomb II, a creatine supplement Phosphagen and an amino acid based supplement Cell-Tech. Based on the history, clinical examination, and laboratory findings the cases were diagnosed as toxic hepatitis. After discontinuation of taking the supplements, clinical recovery and improvement of liver function tests were achieved within 30 days. Causality assessment with the CIOMS (Council for International Organization Medical Sciences) scale showed a "possible" grade of causality (+5 points) for these supplements. It can be concluded that these newer anabolic supplements may induce toxic hepatitis. Since the health risks of them may be severe, the use of these kinds of dietary supplements should be discouraged.

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2...?dopt=Abstract




  2. Serving Size3Tablets
    Servings Per Container112
    Amount Per Serving % Daily Value
    Magnesium(as Magnesium Oxide) 15mg 4%
    Zinc(as Zinc Aspartate) 25mg 167%
    Copper(as Copper Gluconate) 2mg 100%
    optimone 5™:
    Five Phase Hormone Optimizing Blend: 903mg *
    Tribulus Terrestris (Standardized To 60% Furastanol Saponins And 15% Protodiocin), Fenugreek 4:1 Extract (Seed), Tongkat Ali 20:1 Extract (Root)(Eurycoma Longifolia Jack), Red Clover Extract (40% Isoflavones), Chrysin, Kudzu Root (Pueraria Lobota)(40% Isoflavones), DIM (Diindolymethane), Avena Sativa 10:1 Extract (Aerial Parts), Zinc (As Zinc Aspartate), Pygeum Africanum Extract (25% Total Sterol)(Bark), Stinging Nettle Leaf 4:1 Extract, Beta Sitosterol, Saw Palmetto Berry Extract (90% Total Sterols & Free Fatty Acids), Bioperine® (Black Pepper Extract).
    2nd Messenger™ Hormone Amplifiers:
    Receptor Signal Transduction Blend: 625mg *
    Flaxseed (Fatty Acid Profile [Linolenic 8.0%, Linoleic 2.5%, Oleic 2.5%]), Glycine, L-Arginine, Magnesium Oxide, Dipotassium Phosphate, DL-Malic Acid, L-Methionine, Cordyceps (Cordyceps Sinensis), NADH.
    * Daily Value not established
    Other Ingredients
    Di-Calcium Phosphate, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Croscarmellose Sodium, Stearic Acid, Magnesium Stearate, Silica, White Film Coat Ingredients: (Hypromellose, Hydroxypropyl Cellulose, Polyethylene Glycol, Propylene Glycol, Titanium Dioxide)
    •   
       


  3. Quote Originally Posted by Ballesteri View Post
    Dietary supplements have been used for decades for enhancing muscle growth. The harm caused by some of these products is well documented. We investigated and reported toxic hepatitis in 20 male athletes following self-prescribing of a number of dietary supplements which are lesser known. The patients' ages ranged from 24 to 32 with a mean of 28 years. They had taken three kinds of supplements for 1 year including testosterone optimizer agent T Bomb II, a creatine supplement Phosphagen and an amino acid based supplement Cell-Tech. Based on the history, clinical examination, and laboratory findings the cases were diagnosed as toxic hepatitis. After discontinuation of taking the supplements, clinical recovery and improvement of liver function tests were achieved within 30 days. Causality assessment with the CIOMS (Council for International Organization Medical Sciences) scale showed a "possible" grade of causality (+5 points) for these supplements. It can be concluded that these newer anabolic supplements may induce toxic hepatitis. Since the health risks of them may be severe, the use of these kinds of dietary supplements should be discouraged.

    Timcheh-Hariri A, Balali-Mood M, Aryan E, Sadeghi M, Riahi-Zanjani B.


    Medical Toxicology Research Center, School of Medicine, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, and Department of Clinical Bacteriology, Ghaem University Hospital, Mashhad, Iran.
    Is there a reason you're spamming the supplement section with multiples of this same post?
    Formutech Nutrition Rep----------------Check out my CONQU3R log!:
    www.formutechnutrition.com------------- http://goo.gl/G8a4Ss
    www.facebook.com/fnutrition

  4. Well if the "bodybuilders" said that's all they were taking, then it must be true

  5. Quote Originally Posted by cswalczakny View Post
    Is there a reason you're spamming the supplement section with multiples of this same post?
    Lol no, I thought after Chris223 Eh?, I should break the heading down in more layman friendly fashion

  6. Quote Originally Posted by Ballesteri View Post
    Lol no, I thought after Chris223 Eh?, I should break the heading down in more layman friendly fashion
    fair enough. you can delete the other thread, ya know.
    Formutech Nutrition Rep----------------Check out my CONQU3R log!:
    www.formutechnutrition.com------------- http://goo.gl/G8a4Ss
    www.facebook.com/fnutrition

  7. Yup, did that to avoid confusion

  8. Quote Originally Posted by Ballesteri View Post
    Yup, did that to avoid confusion
    10-4, carry on! lol
    Formutech Nutrition Rep----------------Check out my CONQU3R log!:
    www.formutechnutrition.com------------- http://goo.gl/G8a4Ss
    www.facebook.com/fnutrition

  9. Congrats probably 90% of AM we all have hepatitis. Why aren't gym goers dying all around the US then? Fats are bad for you, salts bad for you, protein is bad for you, and now herbs and vitamins are bad for you. But take this acetaminophen and drink this diet coke. Really seems like they want us to be obese malnourished TV zombies.

    Probably caused by the hooker period blood they put in cell tech to help you gain 10.4 lbs in 1 month !!!!!
    Bigcountry's Getting a little smaller: Epi/Stano Log

    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/cycle-info/231194-bigcountrys-getting-little.html

  10. That's an unnecessary amount of creatine. Like 15 grams if they only used 1 serving of each a day.

    Too many other variables. Diet? Numerous other self prescribed supplements not mentioned? Hmm...

  11. American supplements tested bad in a study done in Iran. Nope, no conflict of interest there

  12. Quote Originally Posted by AngryOldMan View Post
    American supplements tested bad in a study done in Iran. Nope, no conflict of interest there
    Iran is totally trustworthy. They've never lied about anything

    :P
    Formutech Nutrition Rep----------------Check out my CONQU3R log!:
    www.formutechnutrition.com------------- http://goo.gl/G8a4Ss
    www.facebook.com/fnutrition

  13. That dere cell tech will do that to you man

  14. Quote Originally Posted by AngryOldMan View Post
    American supplements tested bad in a study done in Iran. Nope, no conflict of interest there
    Quote Originally Posted by cswalczakny View Post
    Iran is totally trustworthy. They've never lied about anything

    :P
    Iran has bigger problems to fry than worring about making false studies about some tiny company like mhp

  15. Quote Originally Posted by Ballesteri View Post

    Iran has bigger problems to fry than worring about making false studies about some tiny company like mhp
    I think they would gladly take any opportunity to discredit any American company
    Formutech Nutrition Rep----------------Check out my CONQU3R log!:
    www.formutechnutrition.com------------- http://goo.gl/G8a4Ss
    www.facebook.com/fnutrition

  16. Quote Originally Posted by cswalczakny View Post
    I think they would gladly take any opportunity to discredit any American company
    Name:  images.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  10.8 KBYes teh grand conspiracy is all falling into place

  17. Quote Originally Posted by Ballesteri View Post

    <img src="http://anabolicminds.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=76 389"/>Yes teh grand conspiracy is all falling into place
    Lol!!
    Formutech Nutrition Rep----------------Check out my CONQU3R log!:
    www.formutechnutrition.com------------- http://goo.gl/G8a4Ss
    www.facebook.com/fnutrition

  18. dang, i must be going into liver failure with all the amino's i take.
    Iron Forged Nutrition Rep

    use code "R1balla" to receive a discount
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 232
    Last Post: 08-09-2007, 06:34 PM
  2. maltodextrin powder with dextrose equivalence of 20
    By Truck 44 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-18-2003, 01:25 PM
  3. In need of clomid!
    By ttboyy2k in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-04-2003, 12:58 PM
  4. In Defense of Ephedrine
    By YellowJacket in forum Supplements
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 03-18-2003, 09:00 AM
  5. First Documented Case of AS induce Toxic Hepatitis
    By YellowJacket in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-16-2003, 04:09 PM
Log in
Log in