Fish Oil - AnabolicMinds.com

Fish Oil

1. New Member

Fish Oil

How much fish oil should I be taking?? I've been taking 1.5 grams in the morning with breakfast, is this the right way to go? or up the dose?

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  184 lbs.

I take 3-4 grams a day depending on how many meals I eat.
  3. Elite Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I like to aim for 2-3g of total EPA/DHA. I usually hit 3g of EPA/DHA unless I am eating a fatty fish that day or something else high in Omega-3s.
    •   

4. New Member

I shoot anywhere form 3-5 g
  5. Diamond Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

2-3g EPA/DHA.
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  6. Pro Virili Parte

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Re: Fish Oil

My views on fish oil supplementation as well as the impacts of omega 6s are rapidly changing.

Coop have you been following the omega 6 discussions?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  7. Diamond Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    My views on fish oil supplementation as well as the impacts of omega 6s are rapidly changing.

Sure have, we had a lecture about the JAMA study. I've always stated that it's about the 3:6 balance, and I stand by that. I'm simply assuming OP is your typical BBer scarfing down peanut butter and needs omega-3s to maintain a healthy lipid profile.
  8. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  185 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post

Sure have, we had a lecture about the JAMA study. I've always stated that it's about the 3:6 balance, and I stand by that. I'm simply assuming OP is your typical BBer scarfing down peanut butter and needs omega-3s to maintain a healthy lipid profile.
    Thoughts on the 3,6,9 blends? Fairly low on epa/dha but mine has good amt of ala, plus the 6,9 additions..I just use the brands at walmart, cant beat the price on 120ct bottle
  9. Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by good2Badawg View Post
    Thoughts on the 3,6,9 blends? Fairly low on epa/dha but mine has good amt of ala, plus the 6,9 additions..I just use the brands at walmart, cant beat the price on 120ct bottle
    Depends on whether you get enough 6s in your diet, which most people do. 9s don't matter since they're synthesized endogenously.
  10. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Enlighten me on these discussions?
  11. Pro Virili Parte

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    Enlighten me on these discussions?
    first rule of fight club is dont talk about fight club
  12. New Member

^^ ray peat ? lol
  13. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  185 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Depends on whether you get enough 6s in your diet, which most people do. 9s don't matter since they're synthesized endogenously.
    price is great but main reason I like it is the ala in it... what kind of dose does Ala need to be, to be as effective as Na-R-ALA
  14. Diamond Member

price is great but main reason I like it is the ala in it... what kind of dose does Ala need to be, to be as effective as Na-R-ALA
    I promise there's not enough ALA in there
  15. Pro Virili Parte

what kind of dose does Ala need to be, to be as effective as Na-R-ALA
    IIRC, 250mg Na-R-ALA = 210 R-ALA and 600mg of ALA (50% racemetric mix) = 300 rALA
  16. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

first rule of fight club is dont talk about fight club
    His name is Robert Paulson.
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep
  17. Pro Virili Parte

Sorry, that was more attempt at trying to be funny. Hopefully Coop got the joke

Anyway there is decent amount of speculation on the negative health effects on n-6 fatty acids.This book has a decent chapter on it Perfect Health Diet: Paul Jaminet, Shou-Ching Jaminet, Mark Sisson: Amazon.com: Kindle Store

but basically the book postulates

there are multiple mechanisms and there’s not a scholarly consensus. We discuss evidence and mechanisms in the book. Some reasons an excess of omega-6 is obesogenic include:
    • it generates a dysbiotic gut flora and increases the risk of metabolic endotoxemia (an influx of endotoxins into the body), which causes metabolic syndrome;
    • omega-6 fats are largely rejected by cells that have little use for them, and this means they accumulate in adipose tissue, because they have no place else to go;
    • they suppress omega-3 lengthening and disturb membrane fatty acid profiles with inflammatory effects … this can promote macrophage and adipocyte activation which causes adipose tissue to hold onto fat … it can also suppress or distort immune function increasing the risk of infections which may promote obesity;
    • it leads to higher levels of lipid peroxidation in mitochondria, damaging the mitochondria and impairing their ability to dispose of an energy excess;
    • omega-6 fats are intrinsically less able to generate ROS (reactive oxygen species) in mitochondria, which limits the ability of mitochondria to regulate energy influx and increases vulnerability to mitochondrial dysfunction;
    • omega-6 fats are precursors to endocannibinoids which increase appetite (see this article).

The relative importance of different mechanisms is not known; different mechanisms may be operative in different people. However, that dietary omega-6 fat consumption is highly correlated with adipose tissue omega-6 concentration and with general obesity seems very clear at this point.
    The JAMA study Coopis referring to is JAMA Network | Error is a decent overview of the study theheart.org: trusted cardiology news and opinions
  18. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  185 lbs.

I promise there's not enough ALA in there
    Claims to be 400mg per serving...listed first above both epa/dha but I dont have the bottle in front of me but I do remember that combined they were right under 400mg/serving
  19. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  185 lbs.

Claims to be 400mg per serving...listed first above both epa/dha but I dont have the bottle in front of me but I do remember that combined they were right under 400mg/serving
    Just took a look at the label...its ala alright, alpha LINOLENIC acid...never paid attention just saw the ala and took it for granted. Honestly, didnt know that there are 2 different ALA's either. Ill have to chNge it up now
  20. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Sorry, that was more attempt at trying to be funny. Hopefully Coop got the joke

Anyway there is decent amount of speculation on the negative health effects on n-6 fatty acids.This book has a decent chapter on it Perfect Health Diet: Paul Jaminet, Shou-Ching Jaminet, Mark Sisson: Amazon.com: Kindle Store

but basically the book postulates

The JAMA study Coopis referring to is JAMA Network | Error is a decent overview of the study theheart.org: trusted cardiology news and opinions
    Terrible, Terrible joke.

Thanks for the links; i might pick up that e-book.
  21. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  225 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Just took a look at the label...its ala alright, alpha LINOLENIC acid...never paid attention just saw the ala and took it for granted. Honestly, didnt know that there are 2 different ALA's either. Ill have to chNge it up now
    I figured as much.
  22. Pro Virili Parte

Re: Fish Oil

Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    Terrible, Terrible joke.

Thanks for the links; i might pick up that e-book.
    I'm skeptical on many points the author tries to make in the book bit overall I feel it was worth the $12 or so it cost.

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 45
    Last Post: 06-10-2005, 04:14 PM
  2. Fish Oil: Once a day or spaced out?
    By Rock Lee in forum Supplements
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-27-2004, 10:02 AM
  3. High-dose fish oil instead of CLA
    By Jcc in forum Supplements