Icariin - the estrogen booster

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. PESCIENCE.com
    Stats
    6'0"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.73%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Icariin - the estrogen booster

ScienceDirect.com - Journal of Ethnopharmacology - Icariin from Epimedium brevicornum Maxim promotes the biosynthesis of estrogen by aromatase (CYP19)

Abstract

Ethnopharmacological relevance

Epimedium brevicornum Maxim has long been used for the treatment of osteoporosis in China and other Asian countries. However, the mechanism behind the antiosteoporotic activity of this medicinal plant is not fully understood.Aim of the study

The present study was designed to investigate the effects of five widely used antiosteoporotic medicinal plants (Epimedium brevicornum, Cuscuta chinensis, Rhizoma drynariae, Polygonum multiflorum, andLigustrum lucidum) on the production of estrogen, and identify the bioactive compounds responsible for the estrogen biosynthesis-promoting effect.Materials and methods

Human ovarian granulosa-like KGN cells were used to evaluate estrogen biosynthesis, and the production of 17β-estradiol was quantified by a magnetic particle-based enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) kit. Further, the mRNA expression of aromatase was determined by a quantitative real-time reverse-transcription polymerase chain reaction (qRT-PCR), and the protein expression of aromatase was detected by western blotting. The activity of alkaline phosphatase (ALP) in rat osteoblastic UMR-106 cells was measured using p-nitrophenyl sodium phosphate assay.Results

Among the 5 antiosteoporotic medicinal plants, the extract of Epimedium brevicornum was found to significantly promote estrogen biosynthesis in KGN cells. Icariin, the major compound in Epimedium brevicornum, was identified to be the active compound for the estrogen biosynthesis-promoting effect. Icariin promoted estrogen biosynthesis in KGN cells in a concentration- and time-dependant manner and enhanced the mRNA and protein expressions of aromatase, which is the only enzyme for the conversion of androgens to estrogens in vertebrates. Further study showed that icariin also promoted estrogen biosynthesis and ALP activity in osteoblastic UMR-106 cells.Conclusions

These results show that the promotion of estrogen biosynthesis is a novel effect of Epimedium brevicornum, and icariin could be utilized for the prevention and treatment of osteoporosis.
    Amino-IV - Not Your Average Amino
    SELECT Protein
    - Ultra-Premium Blend
    ALPHAMINE - Thermogenics...Redefined

2. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.26%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

I had a lot of estro sides running icariin/HGW for 8 months. There are other studies detailing its downstream conversion to E and E-mimetic compounds.
    Last edited by bioman; 01-03-2013 at 11:32 PM. Reason: accuracy
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.35%

Quote Originally Posted by TeColrDrmcoat View Post
    Nice Post!

What company sells it in an isolated form, I think 60% if anyone happens to know.
    There are a small hand full of places on the net that supposedly sell 60% icariin, but there are no real reviews from reputable forum members on any of the major bb/fitness forums. So there is no way to know if it is a scam or the real thing.

I'm not sure of this is allowed or not but here is list of some of the places that supposedly sell 60% Icariin:

1. Icariin 60
    2. Buy Horny Goat Weed | Buy 60% icariin | Water-Extracted Horny Goat Weed
    3. Amazon.com: Icariin 60 -Strongest Icariin 60% - Bulk Powder 1 Kg: Health & Personal Care
    4. Amazon.com: Icariin 60%, Premium Concentrated Blend (1 Kg) Bulk Powder: Health & Personal Care
    5. 1 KG Icariin 60 Extract Bulk Powder | eBay
    6. Icariin 60 Extract 1 KG Bulk Powder | eBay

I've been eyeing these sellers for a while and so far this is what I know:

Number 1 is a Swiss supplement company and purchased the rights to a specific Indonesian 60% Icariin Extract which they bought from a company called MDA Supplements in Indonesia.

Number 2 buys from Number 1 and is more of a reseller.

Number 3 and number 5 are brands from the same seller called Health Supplement Wholesalers and this seller does business on both Amazon and Ebay. They have listings for smallers amounts.

Number 4 and 6 are a company called Supplement Nexus which pretty much prices everything the same as 4 and 6 (Health Supplement Wholesalers). They have listings for smallers amounts.

I can't remember for sure but I think both companies 3,5 and 4,6 are from the same location in the US so it is possible that 3,4,5,and 6 are all the same parent company selling under different brands on Amazon and Ebay.

So far aside from EBay, there are no real reviews for any of these places, and more specifically, no reviews from reputable forum members from any of the major BB/Fitness forums. So if you have been thinking of buying from these places, I would suggest doing so with caution just to be safe.
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.26%

I've used Nexus and HSW for noots and they are legit.
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.35%

Quote Originally Posted by bioman View Post
    I've used Nexus and HSW for noots and they are legit.
    Do you happen to know if they are more or less the same company? Also have you tried their Icariin?
  6. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.26%

I have not tried their icariin nor do I know their affiliation with one another. Their noots were legit and delivered on time. Amazon or Ebay might be willing to provide some info on these sellers.

I've seen higher percentage extracts of Icariin from Chinese suppliers, but can't bring myself to go that route.
  7. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.38%

Subbed, great / interesting read.
  8. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.04%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by bioman View Post
    I have not tried their icariin nor do I know their affiliation with one another. Their noots were legit and delivered on time. Amazon or Ebay might be willing to provide some info on these sellers.

I've seen higher percentage extracts of Icariin from Chinese suppliers, but can't bring myself to go that route.
    Why would you use it again after your initial experience with it?
  9. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.04%

Quote Originally Posted by nattydisaster View Post
    ScienceDirect.com - Journal of Ethnopharmacology - Icariin from Epimedium brevicornum Maxim promotes the biosynthesis of estrogen by aromatase (CYP19)

Abstract

Ethnopharmacological relevance

Epimedium brevicornum Maxim has long been used for the treatment of osteoporosis in China and other Asian countries. However, the mechanism behind the antiosteoporotic activity of this medicinal plant is not fully understood.Aim of the study

The present study was designed to investigate the effects of five widely used antiosteoporotic medicinal plants (Epimedium brevicornum, Cuscuta chinensis, Rhizoma drynariae, Polygonum multiflorum, andLigustrum lucidum) on the production of estrogen, and identify the bioactive compounds responsible for the estrogen biosynthesis-promoting effect.Materials and methods

Human ovarian granulosa-like KGN cells were used to evaluate estrogen biosynthesis, and the production of 17β-estradiol was quantified by a magnetic particle-based enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) kit. Further, the mRNA expression of aromatase was determined by a quantitative real-time reverse-transcription polymerase chain reaction (qRT-PCR), and the protein expression of aromatase was detected by western blotting. The activity of alkaline phosphatase (ALP) in rat osteoblastic UMR-106 cells was measured using p-nitrophenyl sodium phosphate assay.Results

Among the 5 antiosteoporotic medicinal plants, the extract of Epimedium brevicornum was found to significantly promote estrogen biosynthesis in KGN cells. Icariin, the major compound in Epimedium brevicornum, was identified to be the active compound for the estrogen biosynthesis-promoting effect. Icariin promoted estrogen biosynthesis in KGN cells in a concentration- and time-dependant manner and enhanced the mRNA and protein expressions of aromatase, which is the only enzyme for the conversion of androgens to estrogens in vertebrates. Further study showed that icariin also promoted estrogen biosynthesis and ALP activity in osteoblastic UMR-106 cells.Conclusions

These results show that the promotion of estrogen biosynthesis is a novel effect of Epimedium brevicornum, and icariin could be utilized for the prevention and treatment of osteoporosis.
    you get a hard on from the assumed vaso properties and emotional at the same time. That is odd scene, banging and crying at the same time.
  10. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.45%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by USPlabsRep View Post
    you get a hard on from the assumed vaso properties and emotional at the same time. That is odd scene, banging and crying at the same time.
    This is when the male starts asking the female if she is ok just to cuddle for a little while afterwards.
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  11. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.63%

Wait? so she is supposed to be the only one crying during sex? Damn
    toes-on-the-nose.blogspot.com Deployed blogging
  12. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.48%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

I've stated numerous times that HGW is a dirty plant with mixed activity. Icariin, a compound found in the plant, is not estrogenic and elevates testosterone. So go for higher extracts (though not cheap!).
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  13. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.35%

Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    I've stated numerous times that HGW is a dirty plant with mixed activity. Icariin, a compound found in the plant, is not estrogenic and elevates testosterone. So go for higher extracts (though not cheap!).
    High extracts of Icariin are very expensive and accordingly, many products that used to be 50% Icariin have downgraded to 40%, and some have even gone down further to 30% and 20%. 10% Icariin is the most common and can still be found easily. What is the minimum percentage extract of Icariin that you would consider high enough before using?
  14. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.48%
  15. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.48%

Quote Originally Posted by hsk View Post
    High extracts of Icariin are very expensive and accordingly, many products that used to be 50% Icariin have downgraded to 40%, and some have even gone down further to 30% and 20%. 10% Icariin is the most common and can still be found easily. What is the minimum percentage extract of Icariin that you would consider high enough before using?
    40%+ for me. The more icariin, the more positives, the less negatives.
  16. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.26%

Why would you use it again after your initial experience with it?

Don't plan to unless I could find a 60% or higher extract. Even if it were easily obtainable, Anacyclus currently holds my attention.
  17. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.88%

Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69
    NP 50% bulk use to be unreal!
  18. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.26%

I must have been reading about some of the other "dirty" compounds that act as T mimetics but readily aromitize in E mimetics, but its been years since I dabbled in this one. Interesting plant, nonetheless.

Hard to get one (Icariin) without the other(dirty goat estrogens). I ran the 50% for awhile and it was great for the first few months, but then I started bloating up. It was during a period when FDA was raiding all the ancillary labs so I couldnt get an AI. Not fun, but now I am much better versed on natural/alternative AI's.

I used to dream of creating a mix of 95% forskohlin and pure Icariin.
  19. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.08%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by bdcc View Post
    This is when the male starts asking the female if she is ok just to cuddle for a little while afterwards.
    I knew you would respond to that post!
    Product Educator | USPowders
    Statements made by this online persona are the sole property of the owner, and do not necessarily reflect USPowders’ opinion as a whole.
  20. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  174 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37.32%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

Icariin has always peaked my interests if I can find a high enough extract.
    PES Representative
  21. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.92%

Time for me to learn something. What's the point of Icariin in preworkouts? What benefits does Icariin confer other than testosterone?
    EvoMuse
  22. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.43%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by domore View Post
    Time for me to learn something. What's the point of Icariin in preworkouts? What benefits does Icariin confer other than testosterone?
    PDE5 inhibitor.

For the pumps bro.

Some other benefits as well but I assume that is the main reason why it is in pre-workouts.
  23. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.92%

For teh pumpz!

Thanks, bolt. I'm going to do some reading up on it.
    EvoMuse
  24. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.76%
    Achievements Activity Pro

I have used HGW with 10% icariin for 14 days at 2000 mg and felt no libido change whatsoever.

Total crap IMO.
  25. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.92%

Quote Originally Posted by Killler View Post
    I have used HGW with 10% icariin for 14 days at 2000 mg and felt no libido change whatsoever.

Total crap IMO.
    Well HGW, like mentioned before, is a "dirty" compound. If you want the true effects, it should be 40% or even 50% and up.
    EvoMuse
  26. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.35%

If my memory is correct, icariin has many beneficial properties including antioxidant,noortropic, lowers cortisol, testosterone mimetic/booster, LH stimulation, increase libido, PD5E inhibitor, nutrient partitioning, increased/improved vasculairty and blood flow, improved kidney function and overall increase sense of well-being. All the times I have taken 40% or higher extracts, I loved it and it is still one of my top favorites. I would only use 40% and above. I have tried high doses of 10-20% extracts (totaling 500-600mg of icariin daily) and got nothing from them so I am sure that 40-50% is the minimum starting point in order to get any real benefit from this active ingredient. The higher the % of extract the better.
  27. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.92%

Quote Originally Posted by hsk View Post
    If my memory is correct, icariin has many beneficial properties including antioxidant,noortropic, lowers cortisol, testosterone mimetic/booster, LH stimulation, increase libido, PD5E inhibitor, nutrient partitioning, increased/improved vasculairty and blood flow, improved kidney function and overall increase sense of well-being. All the times I have taken 40% or higher extracts, I loved it and it is still one of my top favorites. I would only use 40% and above. I have tried high doses of 10-20% extracts (totaling 500-600mg of icariin daily) and got nothing from them so I am sure that 40-50% is the minimum starting point in order to get any real benefit from this active ingredient. The higher the % of extract the better.
    I think I can still find APS Icariin 50% around. I may play with it.
    EvoMuse
  28. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.35%

Quote Originally Posted by domore View Post
    I think I can still find APS Icariin 50% around. I may play with it.
    I thought that product was discontinued. If you can find it though have fun! Just make sure you have enough to run a decent length cycle. I would not go less than 60 days. All the times I have ran 40%, I found the effects to accumulate over time and it really didn't start to pop until weeks 3-4. The longest I ran it was 12 weeks. Also, icariin has a short half-life and I noticed it worked a lot better when adding things that can increase absorption and or extend half life (ie. Bioperine/Naringin). However keep in mind that those two ingredients may also increase absorption and extend the half life of other things you may be taking as well so be careful if you decide to add those.
  29. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  160 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.49%

Found a link for Liftmode's 98% Icariin. Enjoy, boys.
  30. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.39%

Liftmode makes a 98% Icariin extract. They are known for their superior quality, but this is pretty pricy for only 5 grams.
    ENHANCED BODY FORMULATIONS
    Get Your Lean On
  31. Enhanced Body Formulations
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1.04%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Ape McGrapes View Post
    Liftmode makes a 98% Icariin extract. They are known for their superior quality, but this is pretty pricy for only 5 grams.
    Used with osthole increases thyroid function ...
    Enhanced Body Formulations Product Educator

For any questions on our products that need a quick response, please email me directly
    EnhancedBodyFormulations@gmail .com
  32. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.76%

So you guys would confidently have me buy almost pure Icariin even though the 10% Icariin HGW at high doses didn`t do anything for me?

You still think it may make a difference?
  33. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.48%

Quote Originally Posted by Killler View Post
    So you guys would confidently have me buy almost pure Icariin even though the 10% Icariin HGW at high doses didn`t do anything for me?

You still think it may make a difference?
    It will not.
  34. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33%

I've tried icariin through the whole % range pretty much (cost me a damn fortune mind) and this is what I found result wise for blood flow, pump and libido:

10% = pretty lame
    20% = not too bad
    40% = pretty good
    50% = good
    60% = awesome
    80% = not great
    98% = lame

I was pretty confused about the drop in effectiveness from the 80% and 98% extracts but then I spoke to one of my pals who works at GNC and he was saying that they've trialled all of the percentages, even 100% pure and apparently from 70% upwards the icariin flavonoids become over-extracted and lose their effectiveness which does tie in with what I've been getting from it.
  35. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.61%

wait a min... you have a friend who works at GNC!!!
    FINAFLEX forum rep
    visit our website at finaflex.com
  36. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.45%

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffy View Post
    I've tried icariin through the whole % range pretty much (cost me a damn fortune mind) and this is what I found result wise for blood flow, pump and libido:

10% = pretty lame
    20% = not too bad
    40% = pretty good
    50% = good
    60% = awesome
    80% = not great
    98% = lame

I was pretty confused about the drop in effectiveness from the 80% and 98% extracts but then I spoke to one of my pals who works at GNC and he was saying that they've trialled all of the percentages, even 100% pure and apparently from 70% upwards the icariin flavonoids become over-extracted and lose their effectiveness which does tie in with what I've been getting from it.
    Out of interest, was the dose you used standardised between each extract you used?
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  37. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.05%

It will not.
    go on....
  38. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.35%

It appears LiveLong Nutrition is making Icarin 40% again. I was browsing at their main site and saw it. I am not sure if I am allowed to post this but I assume its okay sine NP carries their products. They seem to only sell the Icariin product directly or on Amazon though and it is quite expensive compared to the old days, but I remember their Icariin 40% and 50% products from previous years was very potent. I might be giving it a shot soon if my budget allows.

https://www.livelongsupplements.com/...g-60-caps.html
  39. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33%

Quote Originally Posted by Ape McGrapes View Post
    I just received an order of the Liftmode Icariin to try. I'm going to start out at 250 mg daily. They also supplied a Certificate of Analysis with the product:
    Name:  icariin.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  435.8 KB
  40. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.39%

Staying tuned...
    ENHANCED BODY FORMULATIONS
    Get Your Lean On

Similar Forum Threads

1. Icariin- "the natural Viagra"