Myostatin inhibition - AnabolicMinds.com

Myostatin inhibition

1. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Myostatin inhibition

OK guys, I understand that currently there is no supplement that has been shown to do this but something I saw a few weeks ago got me wondering.

Lets just say that there was a legitimate product that could do this and it was sold as a supplement instead of by a pharmaceutical company (I know tons of hypotheticals). What could be some of the long term negative effects of toying with genetics in this manner?

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  182 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post
    OK guys, I understand that currently there is no supplement that has been shown to do this but something I saw a few weeks ago got me wondering.

Lets just say that there was a legitimate product that could do this and it was sold as a supplement instead of by a pharmaceutical company (I know tons of hypotheticals). What could be some of the long term negative effects of toying with genetics in this manner?
    I remember hearing something along the lines of immunodeficiency.. let me look.
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  213 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Sounds like a decent idea for muscle growth.

There is a genetic deficiency in the mstn gene (typically codes for myostatin protein) that causes lack of gene expression and therefore little to no myostatin is produced. This can cause a condition called myostatin-related muscle hypertrophy b/c myostatin isn't there to watch over/restrain muscle growth (its actually a family of proteins that does this with myostatin in it).

So I mean, although I don't feel like any supplement should f with anyones genetics, a supplement that acutely inhibits myostatin might be promising for the purposes of muscle growth.

(I got this info from my genetics class)

I also have that there really are no side effects except increased muscle size and strength b/c myostatin is typically only present in skeletal muscle. So therefore this condition really wouldn't affect other body systems that we don't want rapidly growing (heart, etc).

You definitely bring up an interesting topic.
    Current Unsponsored XGELS log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/238229-jswains-run-xgels.html
    •   

4. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by jswain34 View Post
    Sounds like a decent idea for muscle growth.

There is a genetic deficiency in the mstn gene (typically codes for myostatin protein) that causes lack of gene expression and therefore little to no myostatin is produced. This can cause a condition called myostatin-related muscle hypertrophy b/c myostatin isn't there to watch over/restrain muscle growth (its actually a family of proteins that does this with myostatin in it).

So I mean, although I don't feel like any supplement should f with anyones genetics, a supplement that acutely inhibits myostatin might be promising for the purposes of muscle growth.

(I got this info from my genetics class)

I also have that there really are no side effects except increased muscle size and strength b/c myostatin is typically only present in skeletal muscle. So therefore this condition really wouldn't affect other body systems that we don't want rapidly growing (heart, etc).

You definitely bring up an interesting topic.
    That's typically my understanding of it but it does beg the question of any long term repercussions that could come from it.

I was unaware of its presence being almost solely in skeletal muscle.
  5. Senior Member

Reputation Reputation

myostatin inhibitors are already on the blackmarket and i have yet to see anybody look like a belgian blue cow. Their is a boy that was born with it and like expected did have muscles far larger then he should.
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  213 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Jstrong20 View Post
    myostatin inhibitors are already on the blackmarket and i have yet to see anybody look like a belgian blue cow. Their is a boy that was born with it and like expected did have muscles far larger then he should.
    This is the case in nearly everyone that has been found to have the aforementioned gene mutation. I also found that the mutation is more prevalent in African Americans, not that that is really relevant. Just interesting that they could genetically have the upper hand in that regard.
    Current Unsponsored XGELS log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/238229-jswains-run-xgels.html
  7. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jstrong20 View Post
    I highly doubt they are legitimate myostatin inhibitors.
  8. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  215 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post
    I highly doubt they are legitimate myostatin inhibitors.
    exactly.

welcome to the next great farce guys..
    if you spend your $ on otc supps that claim to be MIs, you need help.

this will never be a reality.
    FINAFLEX Product Educator
    visit our website at finaflex.com
    contact me at snagency@finaflex.com
  9. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by snagencyV2.0 View Post
    exactly.

welcome to the next great farce guys..
    if you spend your $ on otc supps that claim to be MIs, you need help.

this will never be a reality.
    That's what I expect but it would be interesting if there were.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  185 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

i remember watching a documentary about kids who were born without the myostatin gene. it was fascinating to say the least basically if there was one mutation i wouldn't mind having this would be it lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIZ-tfLCyxA

Similar Forum Threads

1. steroids and cancer due to HPTA inhibition
    By neurotic in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-24-2013, 09:42 PM
  2. Myostatin Inhibition - again!
    By Whacked in forum Supplements
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 11-02-2009, 07:56 AM
  3. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-31-2008, 04:38 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-08-2003, 03:55 PM
  5. Myostatin Binders/Blockers---Next Scam!
    By Blindfaith in forum Supplements
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-05-2002, 02:19 PM