Question about 17 year old

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.79%

Question about 17 year old

I have a friend who has a 17 year old son who plays football. He asked my opinion about supplements. His son is trying to add lean mass . He weighs around 174 pounds. His goal is to get his weight up to 185-190 by next football season. I told him at his son's age the best thing he could do was eat good and workout. He insisted that his son needed supplements. So I suggested a good protein powder and maybe BCAA's. Now he wants to add agmatine. Is that a good idea for a 17 year old? Do you guys and gals think I gave him good advice? Thanks
    Motivation is what gets you started habit is what keeps you going.

2. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.27%

The best anabolic is food.But if he insists to take suplements a good protein and some bcaas can do the trick.
  3. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.48%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

Creatine mono. Protein. A preworkout if he wants. That'll be his best options at 17.
    Body Performance Solutions Representative

Check out our products at www.bpsnutrition.net
    Check out our FaceBook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Body-Performance-Solutions/191322614238042
    •   

4. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.71%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Like the previous posters have said...the kid needs to learn how to eat and eat right before the other variables should be mixed in. Tell his Dad to supplement him with steak and potatoes 4 times a day and see where that gets him.
    Always open light. Itís not what you open with, itís what you finish with. Louie Simmons
  5. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.33%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by AZMIDLYF View Post
    supplement him with steak and potatoes 4 times a day and see where that gets him.
    indeed.
    now that's supplementation.
    (even if no one thinks it's sexy)
    FINAFLEX Product Educator
    visit our website at finaflex.com
    contact me at snagency@finaflex.com
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.92%
    Achievements Posting Pro

i wish someone would supplement me with steak and potatoes 4 times a day
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.13%

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderHumper View Post
    i wish someone would supplement me with steak and potatoes 4 times a day
    Hell to the yes.................. and chicken with flavored rice
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  254 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.82%

Not to beat a dead horse but supplements are primarily used because nobody has a perfect diet. How realistic is it for a 17 year old kid to get everything he needs through food? Most kids are lucky if they get breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Now that being said I'm not for stuffing a kid full of a bunch of supplements either. Theres just no point. At that age they have more testosterone and hgh running through system than they no what to do with. I would say that foundational products that help give him a balanced diet are key. Protien powders and bars to help him get the right "healthy" macros in. Multi-mineral/ multi-vitamin. Maybe a post work out drink with aminos/carbs/ and creatine like Postal to help their body repair and grow. Just my opinion.
    BigMikeC----Americanmuscle.us
    Nothing I say constitutes medical advice. Please check with your medical professional before starting any diet or exercise program.
  9. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.33%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeC View Post
    Not to beat a dead horse but supplements are primarily used because nobody has a perfect diet. How realistic is it for a 17 year old kid to get everything he needs through food?
    that's what we are advising to change.
    just because, as you infer, it's "not realistic" does not mean we cannot attempt to change this..
    is that not what we do here by advising xyz-supplement use?
    food is another part of the puzzle of growth - and, as the undercurrent of your post suggests - is THE MOST critical part of progress.

why would you not want to rectify dietary transgressions at the youngest age possible?
    FINAFLEX Product Educator
    visit our website at finaflex.com
    contact me at snagency@finaflex.com
  10. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.42%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

Supplements shouldn't be used at that age. It is entirely realistic for someone that age to get all they need from food. At that age he can better utilize the food, and any excess will be burned off or used in the building of muscle. Being that young, he has that advantage. Taking supplements would just be waste of money and possibly cause more harm then good to an adolescent. I'll give you all the supplements in my cabinet if you give me back the testosterone levels I had at 17 years old....Seriously if he is having trouble gaining mass at that age, all he has to do is eat more. Simple as that.
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.92%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeC
    Not to beat a dead horse but supplements are primarily used because nobody has a perfect diet. How realistic is it for a 17 year old kid to get everything he needs through food? Most kids are lucky if they get breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Now that being said I'm not for stuffing a kid full of a bunch of supplements either. Theres just no point. At that age they have more testosterone and hgh running through system than they no what to do with. I would say that foundational products that help give him a balanced diet are key. Protien powders and bars to help him get the right "healthy" macros in. Multi-mineral/ multi-vitamin. Maybe a post work out drink with aminos/carbs/ and creatine like Postal to help their body repair and grow. Just my opinion.
    very good point there and true. but the problem is that by doing that, youre teaching the kid to rely on supplement rather than manipulating his diet. i definately dont see the harm in protein or creatine though
  12. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.46%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Creatine would really be as far as I would go at that age.
    I'm Back...
  13. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.79%

Thanks for the replies everybody. I'm glad I was kinda right lol. His father is insisting on his son using supplements so I will tell him to use protein powder and maybe BCAA's. He said his son tried creatine, but it made his stomach bloat and cramp. I'm not sure of the dosage or brand. This guy knows little about nutrition so it will be interesting to see what happens. I'm sure I'm not the only person he is asking to help him. Thanks again.
    Motivation is what gets you started habit is what keeps you going.
  14. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.48%

Quote Originally Posted by dat dude
    Thanks for the replies everybody. I'm glad I was kinda right lol. His father is insisting on his son using supplements so I will tell him to use protein powder and maybe BCAA's. He said his son tried creatine, but it made his stomach bloat and cramp. I'm not sure of the dosage or brand. This guy knows little about nutrition so it will be interesting to see what happens. I'm sure I'm not the only person he is asking to help him. Thanks again.
    If he cramped it was most likely from insufficient water intake.

Bloat is from taking too much creatine.
    Body Performance Solutions Representative

Check out our products at www.bpsnutrition.net
    Check out our FaceBook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Body-Performance-Solutions/191322614238042
  15. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  182 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.93%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

And if the father insists on specific supplements and not willing to take advice....please stay away from anything that tampers with his hormones, whether natural or not. He's too young and in him prime.
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.92%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Cordeen
    And if the father insists on specific supplements and not willing to take advice....please stay away from anything that tampers with his hormones, whether natural or not. He's too young and in him prime.
    yea definately this. dont elt the dude touch an ai lol. god forbid he mention a steroid

if you need to, just feed him bull****. tell him to play with arginine and throw in some broscience mumbojumbo. sommething like that
  17. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.42%

If he is insistent, just tell him Superdrol at 40mg a day for at least 12 weeks.
  18. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.71%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by dat dude View Post
    All the more reason for him to learn this first!
    Always open light. Itís not what you open with, itís what you finish with. Louie Simmons
  19. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.62%

Like most posters are saying, protein and creatine and maybe even bcaas are all i would do at this point. Obviously diet is going to be the biggest thing he could focus on but not all 17 year olds are going to be able to do a strict diet, so the protein powder would defiantly be something he could bring along with him to throw down quick in between breakfast and lunch at school and before training.
    Broser Built Athlete www.broserbuilt.com

Similar Forum Threads

1. 17 year old, im new on this forums
    By opfor101 in forum Pics
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 05-14-2008, 04:19 PM
  2. Is it safe for a 17 year old to go on jungle warfare?
    By Inchamery in forum Supplements
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-10-2007, 02:33 AM
  3. 17 year old 6-oxo
    By Jarrod in forum Supplements
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-29-2006, 12:08 AM
  4. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-26-2006, 08:28 PM
  5. Steroid use among teens (from a 17 year old)
    By davisville64 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 10-18-2005, 02:27 PM