Immune Booster?

1. Advanced Member
    Answers

Cool Immune Booster?

Was going to pick up a bottle of Biotivia's Immune Boost+, but I was informed it won't be back in stock till the new year.

I currently take a one a day and 5,000iu of Vit. D3.

So what is the best standalone product to get my immune system cranking into overdrive?

Really need to get it up this winter.

2. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'5"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Vitamin C and zinc works for me
    Genomyx Rep
    www.genomyx.com

3. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Answers

Second on vitamin c. Anytime I feel sensitivity in my throat I pop vit c for a few days and I'm all clear

•   

4. Senior Member
    Answers

From Dr. Houser:
    Well - if you are already taking my ACES recommendation; there are two immediate alternates/additions I would ask that you keep in mind through flu season. The first two are MUST-HAVES; the other ones are just kind of giving you some ideas thereafter...

1. Omega-3 Fatty Acids: they act as immune boosters by increasing the activity of phagocytes, the white blood cells that eat up bacteria. They have had a lot of success with pulmonary (lung) infections/ailments.

2. AAHC: Active Hexose-Correlated Compound is a mushroom extract supplement that has been tested for its potential role in the immune system, liver health, cancer treatment and as a biological response modifier. Enhances resistance to infection and natural killer cell activity.

Granted, this is a study done in mice...but when looking at it in instances of the flu; I don't think this can be overlooked...

Supplementation with active hexose correlated compound increases the innate immune response of young mice to primary influenza infection.
    J Nutrition. 2006;. Department of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA,
    In this study, young mice were supplemented with 1 gram AHCC / (kilogram body weight x day) for 1 wk prior to and throughout infection with influenza A (H1N1, PR8). Our data suggest that supplementation boosts natural killer activity, improves survival, and reduces the severity of influenza infection in young mice.

Other Stuff topping off recent research would include...

3. N-acetylcysteine (NAC). In an Italian study, Researchers in Italy found that seniors taking 600 mg of NAC twice daily developed fewer flu-like symptoms and had influenza-like episodes less frequently. NAC helps boost levels of a disease-fighting antioxidant compounds known as glutathiones.

4. Andrographis. A Chinese medicine herb (Andrographis paniculata) that is known to reduce symptoms of upper respiratory infections and congestion. Can be combined Siberian Ginseng (Eleutherococcus senticosus) which might provide even greater, synergistic benefits. High dosages can have side effects, such as changes in blood pressure.

5. Elderberry extract. Studies show that this extract of Sambucus nigra stimulates the immune system. In a limited study in Israel, researchers found that people taking elderberry extract experienced a significant reduction in symptoms such as fever in just two days. Ninety percent were symptom-free after only three days. See below for more. We've used it very successfully.

6. Oscillococcinum. This top-selling homeopathic remedy for reducing cold and flu symptoms which has been found to reduce the duration of flu and flu-like syndromes.

7. North American Ginseng. North American ginseng has, in one small study, shown to cut the length of colds by one-third while reducing slightly the odds of catching a cold.

8. Zinc lozenges. Zinc is an antioxidant that stimulates the body's resistance to infection. Some research suggests that zinc lozenges reduce the duration of colds.

D_

5. Ω Omega Sports Ω
    Answers

Vitamin C & Zinc. I do need to work on getting in more Omega 3's.
    Omega Sports Representative
    The Omega Vision Honor. Integrity. Trust.

6. Advanced Member
    Answers

Thanks guys. Now let's keep em coming. Time to put a little stack together.

Anyone ****s with Astragalus?

7. New Member
    Answers

Vitamin C, zinc, and D. That and a good all around diet and proper recovery.

8. Senior Member
    Answers

In addition to those listed above - Astragalus.

I have used this a lot. I used to give this to one of my sons when, as a 10 years old, he used to get ear infections and sore throats. After I started giving astragalus to him, he NEVER gains had these problems.

It is very inexpensive. There are no negative side effects.

Extracts of Astragalus membranaceus (syn. Astragalus propinquus) are marketed as life prolonging extracts in humans. A proprietary extract of the dried root of Astragalus membranaceus, called TA-65, 'was associated with a significant age-reversal effect in the immune system, in that it led to declines in the percentage of senescent cytotoxic T cells and natural killer cells after six to twelve months of use.'[dubiousdiscuss][9][unreliable source?] In October 2010, Intertek/AAC Labs, an ISO 17025 internationally recognized lab, found the largest component of TA-65 to be Cycloastragenol.[10] Telomerase activation was feared to pose an increased risk of cancer becausetelomere shortening is a mechanism that limits cell proliferation. However, short telomeres result in chromosome instability, hence there is also a potential mechanism for telomere lengthening to protect against cancer (as distinct from mutation-induced activation).[11]

9. Advanced Member
    Answers

Damn that AHCC is expensive. $60 for NOW brand.

10. Senior Member
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Ape McGrapes View Post
    Damn that AHCC is expensive. $60 for NOW brand.
    Yeah it definitely is expensive. I should have added a caveat to that

11. Senior Member
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by domore View Post
    Yeah it definitely is expensive. I should have added a caveat to that
    Many of the individual mushroom components are available in bulk (look at BAC)

12. Professional Member
    Answers

Check out Paractin. It's in our Joint Help, however clinicals show it works very well to boost ones immune system

13. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  230 lbs.
    Answers

Gut health. I never seem to get sick while taking it.

14. Diamond Member
    Answers

a little shocked to see a physician making such dated suggestions...

I agree that NAC is great, and I'm going to say one that I bet most PES reps are totally unaware of. Anabeta is a very strong immunostimulant.
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES

15. Elite Member
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post

I agree that NAC is great, and I'm going to say one that I bet most PES reps are totally unaware of. Anabeta is a very strong immunostimulant.
    Actually saw a study or two on that the other day. Thought it was interesting but didn't read past the abstracts, but just more reason to use it I guess.

I like NAC and Gut Health for these purposes. From an anecdotal standpoint I feel Gut Health has really helped me stay healthy (watch me get sick in the next month now..) since using it consistently for the last half a year or so.

16. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'1"  0 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnTrue View Post
    Check out Paractin. It's in our Joint Help, however clinicals show it works very well to boost ones immune system
    BUMP THAT!

NAC and Vit C I take daily.. regardless of data, echinacea has been very effective for me. Interesting info coop on anabeta!

Mike

17. Senior Member
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post

I pulled those from his subforum. The suggestions date to about this time last year.

18. Ω Omega Sports Ω
    Answers

I still don't know what I think about Echinacea.

19. Senior Member
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Clickster View Post
    I still don't know what I think about Echinacea.
    Pubmed says that it is possibly effective for vaginal yeast infections.......

20. Ω Omega Sports Ω
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by domore View Post
    Pubmed says that it is possibly effective for vaginal yeast infections.......

hahahaha! It is awesome stuff then!

21. Board Sponsor
    Answers

Sleep is probably underrated for the purposes of immune system enhancement. Also cystine and theanine have improved the immune system of actual weight trainees:

http://www.advancedmusclesciencelab....-research.html
    ForeRunner Labs
    The Future of Human Performance
    Please LIKE FRL on Facebook

22. Ω Omega Sports Ω
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Royd The Noyd View Post
    Sleep is probably underrated for the purposes of immune system enhancement. Also cystine and theanine have improved the immune system of actual weight trainees:

http://www.advancedmusclesciencelab....-research.html
    Interesting link! Thanks for sharing.

23. New Member
    Answers

Whay type of Zinc is most recommended for immune system?

I like Zinc Orotate, but I already read that some types are better for skin, for energy, etc, this is true? or it's all the same when it's in your body?

24. New Member
    Answers

If you want to go hardcore I use Olive Leaf Extract, Andrographis, Black Cumin Seed Oil and Neem Leaf all from Swanson Vitamins...you can also throw in Garlic extracted for high Allicin content and the usual suspects like 3 gram and up Vitamin C per day and Zinc.

25. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Answers

Liver XT, Vitamin C, Magnesium, Vitamin D, Astragalus, Green Tea..plenty of good stuff out there.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions | Online Representative
    Growth Factor XT-GROW! Need Cycle Support? Check out Liver XT.
    Follow SNS on Facebook for more promos!

26. Advanced Member
    Answers

Should I go astragalus powder or extracted for 0.5% hydroxy-3-methoxy-isoflavone-7?

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. immune system boosters
    By kingdong in forum Supplements
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 03-12-2010, 06:44 PM
  2. multi-vitamin/immune booster
    By ctd in forum Supplements
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-09-2009, 02:20 PM
  3. Best Immune System Booster
    By PrepNwa23 in forum Supplements