PhosphatidylSerine Benefits

MattPorter

MattPorter

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I am really fascinated with Phosphatidyl Serine and it's ability to attenuate the negative effects of exercise induced cortisol.

I am also seeing a correlation with naturally high cortisol levels and environmentally provoked high cortisol levels and lowered Testosterone production.

It would seem that PhosphatidylSerine would be ideal in a Post Cycle Therapy as an "indirect T booster" via -->cortisol lowering pathways.

It also looks like phospholipids will serve as a major catalyst in the biosynthesis of cholesterol-->testosterone conversion.

EndoAmp became 'sexy' to me again....just kind of forgot about it.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2503954/
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6348068

-Matt

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
What if I told you that exercise-induced cortisol is correlated with increased LBM and may actually be a beneficial adaptation for hypertrophy? Would you still be so staunchly behind the effects of PS (which I love by the way, but definitely not for the reasons you mentioned)?

supermanjow

supermanjow

Awards
  • Established
OOO, nerd war!!! Ok Coop, why do you like it?!

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Much like administering antioxidants periworkout to reduce exercise-induced ROS, I think it would be a rather dumb idea to use an anti-cortisol supplement around workout times: Associations of exercise-induced hormone profiles and gains in strength and hypertrophy in a large cohort after weight training. If not for that reason, then because exercise is a great time for lipolysis to occur, a process which will be blunted if you reduce cortisol prematurely. Conversely, in muscle tissue, cortisol is really only catabolic to muscle protein in a chronically elevated, unnatural state.

So while Matt is correct in saying PS is a pretty versatile ingredient, he likes it for all the wrong reasons.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
God that ****er beats me to everything. I love him though

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sub'd for more info. Subject has always kind of interested me. In general I always felt that these things may be detrimental for reasons posted in link, etc.

Coop I know you like Anabeta Elite, so do the same ideas hold for dosing of that and Reduce XT around workouts (or I guess not around them)?

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Subbng for info because I feel PS is highly underrated for its benefits partially because the know abouts aren't out in the open.

OS-Team App Nut

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
Much like administering antioxidants periworkout to reduce exercise-induced ROS, I think it would be a rather dumb idea to use an anti-cortisol supplement around workout times: Associations of exercise-induced hormone profiles and gains in strength and hypertrophy in a large cohort after weight training. If not for that reason, then because exercise is a great time for lipolysis to occur, a process which will be blunted if you reduce cortisol prematurely. Conversely, in muscle tissue, cortisol is really only catabolic to muscle protein in a chronically elevated, unnatural state.

So while Matt is correct in saying PS is a pretty versatile ingredient, he likes it for all the wrong reasons.
i missed where he said ingesting PS periWO??
yes he mentions exercise-induced cortisol but i don't think that specific timing scenario is what he had in mind..just one of the many benefits, to wipe out any worry when PS supplementation is incurred on a daily basis..
i also thoroughly enjoy this for pct - matt you know i love EndoAMP and TRS. :yup:

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
i missed where he said ingesting PS periWO?? yes he mentions exercise-induced cortisol but i don't think that specific timing scenario is what he had in mind..just one of the many benefits, to wipe out any worry when PS supplementation is incurred on a daily basis..i also thoroughly enjoy this for pct - matt you know i love EndoAMP and TRS. :yup:
The effect of PS is acute. If you want to mitigate exercise-induced cortisol, then by default the dose would have to be periworkout.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
The effect of PS is acute. If you want to mitigate exercise-induced cortisol, then by default the dose would have to be periworkout.
Makes sense... cortisol peaks mid workout. It's really THAT acute of effects for PS that a pre/post dosage would be ineffective?

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Makes sense... cortisol peaks mid workout. It's really THAT acute of effects for PS that a pre/post dosage would be ineffective?
I never said that. Cortisol peaks about 45 minutes into an intense training session. I've been saying periworkout (pre/post/intra) is not a good idea for optimizing body composition.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Ohhh I misread that.

3utcher

3utcher

Awards
3g ALCAR
1g PS
650mg N-Ac-Y
400mg DMAE
200mg Ginkgo

that was pure win.

MattPorter

MattPorter

Banned
Awards
  • Established
What if I told you that exercise-induced cortisol is correlated with increased LBM and may actually be a beneficial adaptation for hypertrophy? Would you still be so staunchly behind the effects of PS (which I love by the way, but definitely not for the reasons you mentioned)?

I was mostly concerned with its use as a PCT adjunct. Also, perhaps making steroids work better.

What references do you have the show cortisol promotes hypertrophy or anabolism? This is good info coop.

I definitely understand cortisol effects that come about in natural 'acute' ways like through exertion through exercise and its ability

to promote lipolysis ,, but how does this affect LbM accrual? I am more concerned about tipping the favor of utmost muscle growth , rather than oxidizing fatty acids.

-Matt

MattPorter

MattPorter

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I was just laughing at the thread....talk about PS, plug a product, then run away

Naw, was just late Friday when I made the thread and prioritize my nutrition clients all weekend so I havent had much time to check up on this til today.

-Matt

HereToStudy

HereToStudy

Primordial Performance Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I was mostly concerned with its use as a PCT adjunct.
Which is the reason the product is most often used. Cortisol does become a concern in PCT as cortisol can rebound from exo hormone administration, and yes, I would argue that the increase in cortisol would be unwanted at a time when one would see low testosterone.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is something I have never understood. Why would cortisol spike after your body was in such an anabolic state?

MattPorter

MattPorter

Banned
Awards
  • Established
This is something I have never understood. Why would cortisol spike after your body was in such an anabolic state?

If your referring to heavy weight training it would be more so catabolic as you are breaking down muscle tissue during that time period.

-Matt

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
But you are breaking down muscle tissue whether on cycle or off cycle. I just never grasped why everyone always said your cortisol spikes when coming off a cycle.

MattPorter

MattPorter

Banned
Awards
  • Established
But you are breaking down muscle tissue whether on cycle or off cycle. I just never grasped why everyone always said your cortisol spikes when coming off a cycle.

SOmething like trenbolone is a glucocorticoid antagonist so that is a much different scenario than being UN assisted and breaking down muscle tissue with only endogenous levels

-Matt

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I was mostly concerned with its use as a PCT adjunct. Also, perhaps making steroids work better.

What references do you have the show cortisol promotes hypertrophy or anabolism? This is good info coop.

I definitely understand cortisol effects that come about in natural 'acute' ways like through exertion through exercise and its ability

to promote lipolysis ,, but how does this affect LbM accrual? I am more concerned about tipping the favor of utmost muscle growth , rather than oxidizing fatty acids.

-Matt
Someone actually posted a link to the study in this thread, right after I made the post. Exercise-induced cortisol increases are correlated with higher LBM and lower fat mass.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Well some catabolism needs to happen in order to drive anabolism.

MattPorter

MattPorter

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Well some catabolism needs to happen in order to drive anabolism.

Yes -- just like inflammation is crucial in muscle growth and why nsaids and fishoil etc need to be in check.

Would be cool to see more studies than the one that was posted.

I like using PS (endoamp) upon rising with my carbless breakfast

-Matt

supermanjow

supermanjow

Awards
  • Established
Yes -- just like inflammation is crucial in muscle growth and why nsaids and fishoil etc need to be in check.

Would be cool to see more studies than the one that was posted.

I like using PS (endoamp) upon rising with my carbless breakfast

-Matt
Do you keep your carbs fairly low offseason even?