Protein before or after workout?

  1. Protein before or after workout?


    I know this question came up before but couldn't find it. So what works best? Before or after? and is it bad to use if I'm trying to lose the little bit of fat I'm trying to lose?
    advice would be great.
    Sent from my M886 using Tapatalk 2


  2. Thanks man it helped.

    Sent from my M886 using Tapatalk 2
    •   
       


  3. Both preferable imo but not right before just with tour pre workout complete meal. As for weight loss just fit it into tour desired macros

  4. If you have to pick one, drink it right after. I like a morning shake, post workout shake, and when I can afford it a bedtime shake haha

  5. Yeah, I still like right after if choosing just one.
    I'm Back...

  6. I like before, during, after, and at most points in between!
    EvoMuse Products Rep

    PM me with any questions!

  7. Quote Originally Posted by bmoney59 View Post
    I know this question came up before but couldn't find it. So what works best? Before or after? and is it bad to use if I'm trying to lose the little bit of fat I'm trying to lose?
    advice would be great.
    sounds like you should spend some more time understanding nutrition, rather than zoning in on "when" you should ingest protein.
    generically speaking, as long as you are consuming protein at every feeding thruout the day, it will be a non-issue. (this is the concept geoforce illustrates above)

    for most, it is not preferable to drink protein immediately prior to training (as criticalbench mentions above)..but a great many ppl will tell you it IS preferable immediately after, as you need to replenish after strenuous activity.

    when someone wonders if protein will make them fat, that is a glaring indicator that you do not grasp nutritional concepts.
    overall caloric intake is what will determine whether you will contribute to fat stores..and then, finitely, follows the construction of that caloric intake (ie, macros).

    for the record - protein in itself will not make you fat, in fact it is the most thermogenic macronutrient we can consume..logically, follows then that if we want to lose bodyfat, we increase our protein intake (while simultaneously lowering carbs and/or fat intake)..going further, we have the micronutrient construction of those macronutrients..(ie, the difference between the carb known as dextrose or sugar, and the carb known as, say, a sweet potato)..

    if i can give you one bit of advice, it would be to study nutrition and dietary concepts.

    good luck.

  8. bmoney59,

    I think you should check out a program like the Muscle Book. It's free: http://www.strengthuniversity.org/muscle-book/
    The book is great. It will provide you some good information on nutrition and training.
    I'm Back...

  9. I like to go for runs after a workout should I take the shake after the run or after my workout before I go for my run?

    Sent from my M886 using Tapatalk 2

  10. Quote Originally Posted by bmoney59 View Post
    I like to go for runs after a workout should I take the shake after the run or after my workout before I go for my run?

    Sent from my M886 using Tapatalk 2
    I personally would wait until after your run.

  11. Quote Originally Posted by snagencyV2.0 View Post

    for most, it is not preferable to drink protein immediately prior to training (as criticalbench mentions above)..but a great many ppl will tell you it IS preferable immediately after, as you need to replenish after strenuous activity.
    Never did I say drink protein immediately before. I said you can drink a protein shake with your pre-workout complete meal. Pre-workout meal, means the last meal you eat prior to your workout.

    I even said, NOT right before. No clue what you read, or how you took it, just justifying what i said. Hell, maybe I even took what you said wrong! Just clarifying, no hate.

    My pre-workout meal is,

    3oz Steak
    12oz Potato's
    1 Scoop Protean with 1/2 cup cottage cheese blended in

    That is around 1 hour prior. Driving to gym, I drink 1 scoop compete with some extra bcaa's. Intra-workout I drink 1 scoop compete, 20g waxy maize, some extra amino's. 30-45 mins post workout I have 1 scoop protean, 1/2 cup cottage cheese blended in, 1 low fat string cheese.

  12. I'm usually whey protein+half a scoop of GlycoMyx about 45 minutes to an hour before workout. I think the concept of "before" workout really depends on how well you can handle a meal (or liquid) before training gut wise. 45 minutes-an hour gives me plenty of time to let the stuff settle, but i might have a hard time doing this if I took it say 5 minutes before.
    EvoMuse Products Rep

    PM me with any questions!

  13. Quote Originally Posted by criticalbench View Post
    Never did I say drink protein immediately before. I said you can drink a protein shake with your pre-workout complete meal. Pre-workout meal, means the last meal you eat prior to your workout.

    I even said, NOT right before. No clue what you read, or how you took it, just justifying what i said.

    Hell, maybe I even took what you said wrong!
    yup, you read it wrong bro.
    i read yours just fine.
    in essence, i was agreeing with you, and mentioned (as criticalbench said) it is NOT preferable immediately before....
    no hate.
    sh!t happens.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Cardio before or after workout for fat loss
    By jays23 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 10-23-2010, 08:48 PM
  2. Running Before or After Workout?
    By hypebeast in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-08-2010, 10:43 AM
  3. Protein Shake Before or After morning Cardio??
    By SacDIESEL in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-02-2007, 09:38 AM
  4. Cardio before or after workout?
    By BAMAJAS in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-19-2007, 10:02 PM
Log in
Log in