Simple sugars in post workout

  1. Simple sugars in post workout


    If simple sugars are key for a robust insulin spike post workout, as I'm sure many of us have heard, then why do so many post-workout protein/creatine recovery products have low or zero simple carbs?

    Is whey protein a sufficient trigger for a strong insulin secretion, or should I add some simple carbs into my post workout protein shake for better results?


  2. the post shake should spike in its self, unless you are fully depleted i dont see the need to add simple sugars with that being said i had good results using slinshot with simple carbs post workout

  3. post workout,i have a juice and a protein shake..45 mins later a meal with a strachy carb.usually potato
    •   
       


  4. Whey protein already maximizes the anabolic effects of insulin. No carbs necessary
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES

  5. Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69
    Whey protein already maximizes the anabolic effects of insulin. No carbs necessary
    Details please!!!!!

  6. IF guys seem to love just whey post wo but IF or not post workout is when I get my biggest carb intake

  7. Quote Originally Posted by "FL3X
    post workout is when I get my biggest carb intake
    Thats the ideal time,i believe.

  8. Quote Originally Posted by jcxy View Post
    If simple sugars are key for a robust insulin spike post workout, as I'm sure many of us have heard, then why do so many post-workout protein/creatine recovery products have low or zero simple carbs?

    Is whey protein a sufficient trigger for a strong insulin secretion, or should I add some simple carbs into my post workout protein shake for better results?
    of course you'll get different stances on this issue..diffrent theories and diffrent preferences abound.
    explains why a great many products as you mention tout low/no sugar.
    but - that is a bit misleading as well, because while some of these products claim to be low, they contain that hidden catch-phrase "glucose polymers" which is simply maltodextrin, and malto actually has a higher GI than dextrose.
    my own preference is to keep insulin levels stable as possible thruout the day..but i will consume the majority of my simple carbs following training in regular protocol (ie not training for a show etc).
    try it both ways yourself, and make your own decision on what works for you.

  9. Quote Originally Posted by snagencyV2.0 View Post
    of course you'll get different stances on this issue..diffrent theories and diffrent preferences abound.
    explains why a great many products as you mention tout low/no sugar.
    but - that is a bit misleading as well, because while some of these products claim to be low, they contain that hidden catch-phrase "glucose polymers" which is simply maltodextrin, and malto actually has a higher GI than dextrose.
    my own preference is to keep insulin levels stable as possible thruout the day..but i will consume the majority of my simple carbs following training in regular protocol (ie not training for a show etc).
    try it both ways yourself, and make your own decision on what works for you.
    I have heard that Cinamon extract or some sort of Conamon can help with keeping insulin levels stable.

    i may be off,but pretty sure t has some effect on insulin.

    Is this true?

  10. Quote Originally Posted by Jay888999 View Post
    I have heard that Cinamon extract or some sort of Conamon can help with keeping insulin levels stable.

    i may be off,but pretty sure t has some effect on insulin.

    Is this true?
    cinnamon does help improve insulin resistance, yes.

  11. I have been eating a banana with my shake post workout lately. Not sure how much benefit I have been getting from it, but I seem to "bounce back" after a tough training session faster. Maybe the potassium along with the carbs?

  12. Quote Originally Posted by snagencyV2.0
    cinnamon does help improve insulin resistance, yes.
    TY..

  13. Quote Originally Posted by FL3X MAGNUM View Post
    Details please!!!!!
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21131864

    The biphasic postworkout insulin spike consists of a former portion that acts independently of carbohydrate intake.
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-30-2015, 06:07 AM
  2. Gatorade powder mix in post-workout shake?
    By Harry Manback in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-11-2011, 12:35 PM
  3. Milk in post workout protein shakes
    By biggjohn in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 03-20-2006, 11:13 PM
  4. Replies: 62
    Last Post: 11-14-2005, 06:35 PM
  5. Post-workout sugar
    By TheCrownedOne in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-02-2005, 03:52 AM
Log in
Log in