Safety of taking ephedra and running?

  1. New Member
    SpicedCider's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    496
    Rep Power
    135932
    Level
    24
    Lv. Percent
    65.59%

    Safety of taking ephedra and running?


    Is it as dangerous as the FDA made it out to be back in '04 - '05 to take ephedra and run (or do some other form of cardio)? I figured that it would be dose-dependent, but I wanted to get the general consensus. Generally speaking, if someone is free of congenital heart defects and BP-related conditions, how safe/unsafe is it to take 20-25 mg of ephedrine and run 7-8 miles?

  2. Elite Member
    howwedo107's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5,313
    Rep Power
    1977799
    Level
    66
    Lv. Percent
    5.81%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Hiit=no no Liss=yeah why not
    Email me for free prodigy samples
    Ricky@pni-online.com
    www.pni-online.com
  3. New Member
    SpicedCider's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    496
    Rep Power
    135932
    Level
    24
    Lv. Percent
    65.59%

    Thanks; I figured it would be a bad idea to do sprintwork while taking ephedra. I guess I will just stick to taking it when I'm sticking to a 7:00 - 8:00 min./mile pace. I think I also read somewhere that most people don't even experience a substantial increase in HR or BP when taking 20 mg/less, but I could have misread/misinterpreted this.
    •   
       

  4. Diamond Member
    mr.cooper69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,628
    Rep Power
    6508145
    Level
    98
    Lv. Percent
    39.22%
    Achievements Posting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Ephedrine in the absence of caffeine is perfectly fine to take for any running.
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  5. New Member
    SpicedCider's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    496
    Rep Power
    135932
    Level
    24
    Lv. Percent
    65.59%

    Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    Ephedrine in the absence of caffeine is perfectly fine to take for any running.
    What's the danger of taking it with caffeine and running? Overstimulation? Just curious...

    Also, is it still effective if taken without caffeine? I remember taking around 20 mg of ephedra a few years ago without any caffeine and felt nothing at all (no energy boost or bronchodilation), but when I take it with caffeine, it's as if the caffeine "unlocks" ephedra's powers.
  6. Diamond Member
    mr.cooper69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,628
    Rep Power
    6508145
    Level
    98
    Lv. Percent
    39.22%
    Achievements Posting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by SpicedCider View Post
    What's the danger of taking it with caffeine and running? Overstimulation? Just curious...Also, is it still effective if taken without caffeine? I remember taking around 20 mg of ephedra a few years ago without any caffeine and felt nothing at all (no energy boost or bronchodilation), but when I take it with caffeine, it's as if the caffeine "unlocks" ephedra's powers.
    Caffeine heavily potentiates the activities of ephedrine...including blood pressure.Is it effective for fat loss if taken without caffeine? Not really. Is it effective for bronchodilation? Yes.
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  7. New Member
    SpicedCider's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    496
    Rep Power
    135932
    Level
    24
    Lv. Percent
    65.59%

    Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    Caffeine heavily potentiates the activities of ephedrine...including blood pressure.Is it effective for fat loss if taken without caffeine? Not really. Is it effective for bronchodilation? Yes.
    Appreciate the info. Is the increase in BP that arises from taking E+C really significant? How dangerous do you think it would be to take 20 mg of ephedra, 150 mg of caffeine, and then run?

    Also, even though ephedra still acts as a bronchodilator even if taken without caffeine, do you still feel an energy boost when taking it without caffeine?
  8. Diamond Member
    mr.cooper69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,628
    Rep Power
    6508145
    Level
    98
    Lv. Percent
    39.22%
    Achievements Posting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by SpicedCider View Post
    Appreciate the info. Is the increase in BP that arises from taking E+C really significant? How dangerous do you think it would be to take 20 mg of ephedra, 150 mg of caffeine, and then run? Also, even though ephedra still acts as a bronchodilator even if taken without caffeine, do you still feel an energy boost when taking it without caffeine?
    If you were sprinting and you took the combination prior to developing a tolerance to side effects (about a one month buffer period), then it would be very dangerous. By very dangerous, I mean a single digit or less percent chance of something happening, but that is a rather higher percent risk when death is an endpoint (obviously this is just an abstraction).Ephedrine barely penetrates the BBB and will create an ever so mild stimulant effect if taken without caffeine. You may not notice it at all if you are tolerant to stims.
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  9. New Member
    SpicedCider's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    496
    Rep Power
    135932
    Level
    24
    Lv. Percent
    65.59%

    Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    If you were sprinting and you took the combination prior to developing a tolerance to side effects (about a one month buffer period), then it would be very dangerous. By very dangerous, I mean a single digit or less percent chance of something happening, but that is a rather higher percent risk when death is an endpoint (obviously this is just an abstraction).Ephedrine barely penetrates the BBB and will create an ever so mild stimulant effect if taken without caffeine. You may not notice it at all if you are tolerant to stims.
    Thanks. Okay, last question... if I'm not sprinting (instead, let's say running a 7-8 min. mile pace for about 8 miles), would you still consider it to be very dangerous to take E+C if I'm running at that easier pace?
  10. Diamond Member
    mr.cooper69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,628
    Rep Power
    6508145
    Level
    98
    Lv. Percent
    39.22%
    Achievements Posting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by SpicedCider View Post
    Thanks. Okay, last question... if I'm not sprinting (instead, let's say running a 7-8 min. mile pace for about 8 miles), would you still consider it to be very dangerous to take E+C if I'm running at that easier pace?
    Definitely not as dangerous, no.
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  11. New Member
    SpicedCider's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    496
    Rep Power
    135932
    Level
    24
    Lv. Percent
    65.59%

    Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    Definitely not as dangerous, no.
    That's good to hear. I have only gone running while on E+C a few times, but on every single occasion, I loved the clean energy, bronchodilation, and the overall feeling of just being lighter on my feet. In my experience, nothing else has compared to it. I guess I will just limit my dosages to 25 mg or less of ephedra with 150 mg of caffeine on long distance, non-sprinting days and make sure to run near crowded, highly-public areas (preferably with defibrillators nearby).
  12. Elite Member
    DJBeanPole's Avatar
    Stats
    6'9"  242 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,673
    Rep Power
    2574217
    Level
    73
    Lv. Percent
    6.72%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    If you were sprinting and you took the combination prior to developing a tolerance to side effects (about a one month buffer period), then it would be very dangerous. By very dangerous, I mean a single digit or less percent chance of something happening, but that is a rather higher percent risk when death is an endpoint (obviously this is just an abstraction).Ephedrine barely penetrates the BBB and will create an ever so mild stimulant effect if taken without caffeine. You may not notice it at all if you are tolerant to stims.
    *looks at possible side effects*
    hmm... heart could explode inside my chest...

    FFFUUUUUU!!!

    I always did my HIIT fasted first thing after waking up and dosed my first EC around an hour after that was finished.

    Don't end up like Bill! Listen to Coop
    GENOMYX REPRESENTATIVE
    GENOMYX.COM
    STIMaholic & PHENADROL Now Available!
  13. New Member
    SpicedCider's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    496
    Rep Power
    135932
    Level
    24
    Lv. Percent
    65.59%

    Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    Definitely not as dangerous, no.
    I have an interesting quandary for you to consider. I live in an area of the southeastern US that becomes EXTREMELY humid during the summer months as well as during other times throughout the year, and as I'm sure you're aware of, there is a proportional increase in HR as relative humidity percentage increases. In other words, when it's 85% humidity and even just 85 degrees, you can really feel your heart practically beating out of your chest even during a slower-paced run. In fact, the left side of my chest will actually be sore during the last half mile or so of my run when the climate is that humid. Sometimes I will even get the feeling that death must be imminent and that I won't possibly be able to make it another mile back to my car. This is drenched-in-sweat humidity, where you get so sweaty after 30-40 minutes that your running shoes squeak when you walk in them.

    So which do you think would make for a more dangerous workout that would be more likely to lead to having a heart attack and/or cause a greater increase in HR: not taking any stimulants and running in extreme humidity, or taking EC and running in a dry, tolerable climate?
  14. Diamond Member
    mr.cooper69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,628
    Rep Power
    6508145
    Level
    98
    Lv. Percent
    39.22%
    Achievements Posting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by SpicedCider View Post
    I have an interesting quandary for you to consider. I live in an area of the southeastern US that becomes EXTREMELY humid during the summer months as well as during other times throughout the year, and as I'm sure you're aware of, there is a proportional increase in HR as relative humidity percentage increases. In other words, when it's 85% humidity and even just 85 degrees, you can really feel your heart practically beating out of your chest even during a slower-paced run. In fact, the left side of my chest will actually be sore during the last half mile or so of my run when the climate is that humid. Sometimes I will even get the feeling that death must be imminent and that I won't possibly be able to make it another mile back to my car. This is drenched-in-sweat humidity, where you get so sweaty after 30-40 minutes that your running shoes squeak when you walk in them.So which do you think would make for a more dangerous workout that would be more likely to lead to having a heart attack and/or cause a greater increase in HR: not taking any stimulants and running in extreme humidity, or taking EC and running in a dry, tolerable climate?
    If the left side of your chest is sore, it's not due to your heart. Heart pain would refer onto your left shoulder due to its innervation by general visceral afferents. It's more likely that your lungs are getting taxed and pushing against the parietal membrane of the mediastinum, causing somatic pain at the region.Taking EC and doing low intensity, steady state cardio in a dry environment is less likely to cause cardiac issues, though neither should really do you in.
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  15. New Member
    SpicedCider's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    496
    Rep Power
    135932
    Level
    24
    Lv. Percent
    65.59%

    Cooper, I have just one other quick question. I'm going to run in a 10k race today in a few hours. How safe do you think it would be take 24 mg of ephedrine but without any caffeine? You stated earlier in the thread that there was no problem with taking just ephedrine by itself and running, but I just wanted to make sure.

    Thanks...
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Best Source of Ephedra and Caffeine
    By jrw in forum Supplements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-28-2009, 02:18 AM
  2. 2 bottles of X-factor and 1 max out, how to run it
    By rustlerracer in forum Supplements
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-23-2008, 08:35 PM
  3. running two bottles of levi-r and dcp back to back
    By DreamOfWeight in forum Supplements
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-19-2008, 09:25 PM
  4. The long term safety of naringin and piperine?
    By johnyq in forum Supplements
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-09-2008, 12:07 AM
  5. An Analysis of the Relative Safety of Ephedra
    By Sheesh in forum Supplements
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-05-2003, 06:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in