JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So if i take vit d i will get fat?!?!
Doubtful.

Adel has a personal beef with vitamin D and it is justifiably so considering how OVER recommended it is AND at extreme amounts.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Doubtful.

Adel has a personal beef with vitamin D and it is justifiably so considering how OVER recommended it is AND at extreme amounts.
Who is Adel? Author of suppversity? TBH I'd never even seen the website until I googled the name of the study in hopes of finding the FT

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Who is Adel? Author of suppversity? TBH I'd never even seen the website until I googled the name of the study in hopes of finding the FT
Yes, I know him from another forum we are members of. Browse his blog some.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Doubtful.

What would you say is extreme amounts?

broons

Awards
  • Established
Well its a safe bet that many here supplement vitamin D. Are you all getting fatter and losing lbm?

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Know the author from another forum as well that I used to be highly active on. While I don't agree with everything, I always learn some things by reading his work.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Know the author from another forum as well that I used to be highly active on. While I don't agree with everything, I always learn some things by reading his work.
What's the forum/username?

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yup

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm not sure if it's just in head or not but since I started taking Vit d3 just this past Monday was my first dosage, my hunger seems to have gone up and I have much more energy. Usually I start to feel sleepy around 2 pm everyday and a lot of times I take a nap, but this week I haven't felt sleepy at all and hunger seems to be creeping up slowly. Could be just placebo though I guess.

baldwanus

baldwanus

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I'm not sure if it's just in head or not but since I started taking Vit d3 just this past Monday was my first dosage, my hunger seems to have gone up and I have much more energy. Usually I start to feel sleepy around 2 pm everyday and a lot of times I take a nap, but this week I haven't felt sleepy at all and hunger seems to be creeping up slowly. Could be just placebo though I guess.
out of curiosity, how much actual sunlight are you getting this time of year?

i know for myself, i dont really supplement D3 in the summer, since im usually in the sun a decent ammount.....but once fall/winter rolls around i hop back on it

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
out of curiosity, how much actual sunlight are you getting this time of year?

i know for myself, i dont really supplement D3 in the summer, since im usually in the sun a decent ammount.....but once fall/winter rolls around i hop back on it

I go for hour long walks three times a week but that is about it as far as sun. Well unless you count walking to and from the car while shopping or doing errands.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If I had to guess I would say this is just placebo at this point. Maybe if after another week or two I feel the same then it could be the d3.

baldwanus

baldwanus

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I go for hour long walks three times a week but that is about it as far as sun. Well unless you count walking to and from the car while shopping or doing errands.
well coop/josh correct me if im wrong, but im pretty sure 10-15 minutes out in the sun and you'll be all set

sugardaddy69

sugardaddy69

Awards
If D3 increases testosterone no wonder your appetite would be increased as well, I have been using it for almost 3 years now only positive things to report so far

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm another one who tends to supplement with D more in the winter than summer for obvious reasons. I do think it has an impact on my seasonal affective disorder, but that could literally all be in my head :)

chimeranD

Awards
From my understanding it doesn't take much exposure at all to produce vitamin D, something like 15 minutes for a few thousand IU's, I highly doubt you'll have any problem with that exposure.

neddo

neddo

Awards
well coop/josh correct me if im wrong, but im pretty sure 10-15 minutes out in the sun and you'll be all set
It's 20-30 mins iirc.

I'd only supplement in the fall/winter seasons.

(small bump?)

dondon

dondon

Awards
  • Established
I been on HRT therapy since July, everything was okay, but then I started sliding off...less sperm, less erections and less thoughts about sex. I couldn't figure it out...till these past 2 weeks. I had stopped taking vit D and never really cared or thought about, I thought it was just one of those supplements that couldn't hurt. Without thinking about it, I started taking it again (the top of my refrigerator is like a *** store shelf) and all of a sudden, morning wood is back...started thinking about sex again...and blowing loads again. I couldn't figure it out, went over all my daily supplements...checked my test bottle, just about everything and then I realized that the only thing different was adding vit D. Vitamin D for me rocks.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I been on HRT therapy since July, everything was okay, but then I started sliding off...less sperm, less erections and less thoughts about sex. I couldn't figure it out...till these past 2 weeks. I had stopped taking vit D and never really cared or thought about, I thought it was just one of those supplements that couldn't hurt. Without thinking about it, I started taking it again (the top of my refrigerator is like a *** store shelf) and all of a sudden, morning wood is back...started thinking about sex again...and blowing loads again. I couldn't figure it out, went over all my daily supplements...checked my test bottle, just about everything and then I realized that the only thing different was adding vit D. Vitamin D for me rocks.
What you are experiencing is called placebo. A vitamin D deficiency will take months to years to manifest, and about the same amount of time to be reversed.

dondon

dondon

Awards
  • Established
What you are experiencing is called placebo. A vitamin D deficiency will take months to years to manifest, and about the same amount of time to be reversed.
Placebo?? re-read what I wrote, I couldn't figure out what it was, I had to go over what it was that I did differently. If I knew what it was then I can vouch for a placebo. I took it without any expectations.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Placebo?? re-read what I wrote, I couldn't figure out what it was, I had to go over what it was that I did differently. If I knew what it was then I can vouch for a placebo. I took it without any expectations.
You don't need concious expectations for placebo to be at play.

broons

Awards
  • Established
Placebo or not, if its improved your quality of life then that's good for you.

dondon

dondon

Awards
  • Established
You don't need concious expectations for placebo to be at play.
Okay, that may be right, but you just can't turn testosterone on and off, not like I witnessed. I been in this game a long time, I've had many supplements that worked and had some (actually most) that didn't work, so I do know what I'm experiencing is not placebo, its been consistent everyday.

Placebo or not, if its improved your quality of life then that's good for you.
Its a life saver and it worked for me...the least expensive with the least expectation did the most for me, go figure.

Quadzilla99

Quadzilla99

Awards
  • Established
Vitamin D supplementation doesn't prevent or reduces symptoms and duration of the common cold when 25(OH)D levels are sufficient:
jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1367547

(Now need 150 posts to post links?!)
The answer to that question is yes apparently

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
A deeper look into the paper of the OP is quite interesting. The Vit D group consumed more calories overall, and vit D seemed to stimulate appetite as the change in caloric consumption after 12 weeks was much higher in the vit D group.

The vit D group had an obvious decline in PTH levels, showing that supplemental calcium and Vit D are sufficient for raising blood calcium levels (if you didn't already know this). Statistical significance isn't the be all, end all.

BUUUUUUUT, here's a figure that ergolog conveniently left out in their latest article:

So absolute fat mass trended towards an increase over placebo in the vit D group, yet the waist-to-hip ratio decreased. So ergolog's extrapolations are actually quite false. It would appear that vit D alters fat distribution and negatively affects overall body comp, as suppversity concluded.

Quadzilla99

Quadzilla99

Awards
  • Established
Should I stop taking my vitamin D?

confuzzled...will stop for now

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Yeah just for now or until there are more positive studies posted about it....Tomorrow or next week it will be recommended again. LMAO. Every-time the win blows a different direction. I'm sure if you search hard enough you can find as positive and negative studies on anything.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

No

the lessen here is more is not always better. If you are vit D deficient then supplementation may be beneficial for you but if you are not AND are mega dosing vitD (which seems to be a popular trend) then it may NOT be as beneficial for you as one might think.

Yeah just for now or until there are more positive studies posted about it....Tomorrow or next week it will be recommended again. LMAO. Every-time the win blows a different direction. I'm sure if you search hard enough you can find as positive and negative studies on anything.
I hate this mindset

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
coop, there's something I'd like to point out about that graph which you may have momentarily forgotten. In statistics, if you have error bars like that that intersect each other at any point between different bars/data points, it means there's no statistical significance. So what one is supposed to get out of that graph is that there is no significant change in either lean mass or fat mass during the experiment.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
coop, there's something I'd like to point out about that graph which you may have momentarily forgotten. In statistics, if you have error bars like that that intersect each other at any point between different bars/data points, it means there's no statistical significance. So what one is supposed to get out of that graph is that there is no significant change in either lean mass or fat mass during the experiment.
I am aware. However, one of my gripes with literature is that statistical significance does not always accurately equate to biological significance. Trending towards an endpoint cannot be ignored if consistently expressed

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
statistical significance does not always accurately equate to biological significance.
I agree. I think it's important to point out, though, that averages like this involve reducing scattered data into simplified bars that don't quite capture the range of the data. That's why the error bars are included. So what those bars are saying is that it's very likely any differences in lean or fat mass gains *are* due to statistical artifacts, not treatments.

Can real causal relationships be hiding under that? Sure. But it would be inappropriate to draw such conclusions from this kind of data that shows there is no difference between the two groups in changes in these parameters.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I agree. I think it's important to point out, though, that averages like this involve reducing scattered data into simplified bars that don't quite capture the range of the data. That's why the error bars are included. So what those bars are saying is that it's very likely any differences in lean or fat mass gains *are* due to statistical artifacts, not treatments.

Can real causal relationships be hiding under that? Sure. But it would be inappropriate to draw such conclusions from this kind of data that shows there is no difference between the two groups in changes in these parameters.
I don't disagree. Look at it in the context of the present vitamin D data and you'll see where I'm coming from, particularly with respect to fat mass correlations.

Quadzilla99

Quadzilla99

Awards
  • Established
I get out in the sun a ton already and vit d is so cheap that mothballing my $11 bottle of 400 ct 10000 IU vit d capsules is no big economic loss. You convinced me Coop

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
and the plot thickens...

Turns out the relationship between supplementing with vitD and getting the cold turns out to be just a correlation and not causative.

Effect of vitamin D3 supplementation on upper respiratory tract infections in healthy adults: the VIDARIS randomized controlled trial.

Abstract

CONTEXT:
Observational studies have reported an inverse association between serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D (25-OHD) levels and incidence of upper respiratory tract infections (URTIs). However, results of clinical trials of vitamin D supplementation have been inconclusive.

OBJECTIVE:
To determine the effect of vitamin D supplementation on incidence and severity of URTIs in healthy adults.

DESIGN, SETTING, AND PARTICIPANTS:
Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial conducted among 322 healthy adults between February 2010 and November 2011 in Christchurch, New Zealand.

INTERVENTION:
Participants were randomly assigned to receive an initial dose of 200,000 IU oral vitamin D3, then 200,000 IU 1 month later, then 100,000 IU monthly (n = 161), or placebo administered in an identical dosing regimen (n = 161), for a total of 18 months.

MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES:
The primary end point was number of URTI episodes. Secondary end points were duration of URTI episodes, severity of URTI episodes, and number of days of missed work due to URTI episodes.

RESULTS:
The mean baseline 25-OHD level of participants was 29 (SD, 9) ng/mL. Vitamin D supplementation resulted in an increase in serum 25-OHD levels that was maintained at greater than 48 ng/mL throughout the study. There were 593 URTI episodes in the vitamin D group and 611 in the placebo group, with no statistically significant differences in the number of URTIs per participant (mean, 3.7 per person in the vitamin D group and 3.8 per person in the placebo group; risk ratio, 0.97; 95% CI, 0.85-1.11), number of days of missed work as a result of URTIs (mean, 0.76 days in each group; risk ratio, 1.03; 95% CI, 0.81-1.30), duration of symptoms per episode (mean, 12 days in each group; risk ratio, 0.96; 95% CI, 0.73-1.25), or severity of URTI episodes. These findings remained unchanged when the analysis was repeated by season and by baseline 25-OHD levels.

CONCLUSION:
In this trial, monthly administration of 100,000 IU of vitamin D did not reduce the incidence or severity of URTIs in healthy adults.
A randomized controlled trial of vitamin D3 supplementation for the prevention of symptomatic upper respiratory tract infections.

Abstract

Vitamin D has been shown to be an important immune system regulator. Vitamin D insufficiency during winter may cause increased susceptibility to upper respiratory tract infections (URIs). To determine whether vitamin D supplementation during the winter season prevents or decreases URI symptoms, 162 adults were randomized to receive 50 microg vitamin D3 (2000 IU) daily or matching placebo for 12 weeks. A bi-weekly questionnaire was used to record the incidence and severity of URI symptoms. There was no difference in the incidence of URIs between the vitamin D and placebo groups (48 URIs vs. 50 URIs, respectively, P=0.57). There was no difference in the duration or severity of URI symptoms between the vitamin D and placebo groups [5.4+/-4.8 days vs. 5.3+/-3.1 days, respectively, P=0.86 (95% CI for the difference in duration -1.8 to 2.1)]. The mean 25-hydroxyvitamin D level at baseline was similar in both groups (64.3+/-25.4 nmol/l in the vitamin D group; 63.0+/-25.8 nmol/l in the placebo group; n.s.). After 12 weeks, 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels increased significantly to 88.5+/-23.2 nmol/l in the vitamin D group, whereas there was no change in vitamin D levels in the placebo group. There was no benefit of vitamin D3 supplementation in decreasing the incidence or severity of symptomatic URIs during winter. Further studies are needed to determine the role of vitamin D in infection.