IIFYM validated

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
A randomized trial of protein supplementation compared with extra fast food on the effects of resistance training to increase metabolism.

Abstract

Objective. To prospectively evaluate the effects of resistance training combined with increased energy intake or protein-supplementation on lean body-mass, resting metabolic-rate (RMR) and cardiovascular risk factors. Methods. Twenty-four healthy males (aged 19-32 years) performed resistance exercise for 12 weeks aiming for at least 1 hour training-sessions 3 times a week. The participants were randomized to consume extra protein (33 g whey protein/day) or a meal of fast-food/day (1350 kcal, 41 g protein). Body-composition was measured with Dual-Energy X-ray Absorptiometry (DEXA) and RMR by indirect calorimetry. Fasting blood samples were drawn before and after the 3-month training period and after 12 months. Results. The body weight increased from 75.1 ± 6.9 kg to 78.7 ± 7.2 kg (p < 0.0001), without differences between the groups. RMR increased from 1787 ± 143 kcal/24 h to 1954 ± 187 kcal/24 h (p < 0.0001, N = 24), which was more than expected from the increase in lean body-mass (increase from 59.7 ± 4.3 kg to 61.8 ± 4.1 kg p = 0.004). Fasting serum-insulin levels increased in the fast-food group compared with the extra-protein group (p = 0.03). ApoB increased from 0.691 ± 0.14 g/L to 0.768 ± 0.17 g/L, p = 0.004, in the fast-food group only. Long-term follow up after 12 months showed that RMR, body weight, total fat and lean body-masses did not differ from baseline (n = 19). Conclusions. Resistance training for 12 weeks increased RMR and lean body-mass similarly when based on either an increased energy-intake or protein supplement. However, the increase in RMR was higher than expected from the increase in lean body-mass. Thus resistance training could potentially decrease the risk of obesity by induction of increased RMR.

PMID: 22935042
I feel its important to note that while one may be able to get lean while eating junk food, body composition does not necessarily reflect an individuals health

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I've not yet read the FT, but 1 group consumed 33g protein (132 kcal) and the other group consumed a 1350 kcal fast-food meal and body weight, fat mass and LBM did not differ?! I assume daily caloric and macronutrient intake did not differ between groups, right?
I'd assume so, unless we're looking at the worst nutrition-based experimental design in history

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So keeping macros in line is probably>importance than food choices is what we are taking away here?

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've not yet read the FT, but 1 group consumed 33g protein (132 kcal) and the other group consumed a 1350 kcal fast-food meal and body weight, fat mass and LBM did not differ?! I assume daily caloric and macronutrient intake did not differ between groups, right?
EDIT: jumped the gun. Sorry, will re-analzyse this shortly.

RE-EDIT: Just confirmed: calories and macros WERE NOT controlled in this study.

Therefore, results are highly questionable, and cooper's fears are confirmed: perhaps the worst nutritional study design in history.

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
EDIT: jumped the gun. Sorry, will re-analzyse this shortly.

RE-EDIT: Just confirmed: calories and macros WERE NOT controlled in this study.

Therefore, results are highly questionable, and cooper's fears are confirmed: perhaps the worst nutritional study design in history.
Good lord how do people screw this up so badly?

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
So keeping macros in line is probably>importance than food choices is what we are taking away here?
Seems to be the IIFYM method. :)