My Current Training, Dieting, Supplemenation - Tips? - AnabolicMinds.com

My Current Training, Dieting, Supplemenation - Tips?

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.

My Current Training, Dieting, Supplemenation - Tips?

Hello all,

My name is Max. I am 23, have just graduated college, and am working full-time 9-5. I've been lifting casually and seriously (off and on) since I was 17. I have recently begun training/dieting/supplementing seriously in hopes of getting in the best shape of my life and ideally competing in my first amateur bodybuilding competition in the spring of 2013. I'm currently 5'10 and around 170 lbs, with (and this is a broad approximation) 12-15% body fat, though I can achieve 175lbs and lower body fat rather quickly when I dedicate myself. My arms lag a bit behind the rest of my body. This is my first post on here and I'm just going to provide a brief overview of my current training/diet/supplementation and would appreciate any feedback on how I could best optimize my gains:

Training:

Monday: Back (approx. 4 exercises, 3 sets, 12-8 reps)
    Tuesday: Chest (approx. 5 exercises, 3 sets, 12-8 reps)
    Wednesday: Legs: (approx. 4 exercises, 3 sets, 12-8 reps - includes deep squats and straight leg dead lifts)
    Thursday: Shoulders: (5x5 on a form of shoulder press, a form of shrugs - 3 sets, 12-8 reps, rear and/or frontal delt raises, and centuries (100 reps) lateral raises (often using the machine))
    Friday: Biceps (5x5 on some sort of curl, one exercise - 3 sets, 12-8 reps, and another exercise - centuries (100 reps)) and Triceps (5x5 on skull crushers, one exercise - 3 sets, 12-8 reps, and another exercise - centuries (100 reps)
    Saturday: rest
    Sunday: rest

After 4/5 lifting sessions, I do abs for approx. 5-10 minutes and perform HIIT cardio or swim laps in the pool, each for approx. 20 minutes.

I have been doing this for about a week, but will tailor the training to how my body is developing (i.e. cut some cardio when I have burned enough fat or change the number of reps when I want to put on more size)

5/7 days a week, upon waking, I eat every 2.5-3 hours - a typical day of dieting is as follows:

Diet:

Meal 1: 3 whole eggs, 1 egg white, 1 cup oatmeal, 1 fruit (apple, banana, etc.)
    Meal 2: 25g whey protein with water, PBJ Sandwich on wheat bread
    Meal 3: Grilled chicken on a whole wheat wrap or a Tuna Sandwich on wheat bread
    Meal 4: Cottage cheese mixed with granola and/or pineapple
    Workout
    Meal 5: 30g whey protein, one scoop of Gatorade powder (approx. 40g of sugar)
    Meal 6: Chicken and Rice (and sometimes beans)
    Meal 7: Sustained-released protein powder with peanut butter and milk

2/5 days is the same as above but far fewer carbs besides Meal 5 (post-workout)

Supplementation:

Whey protein post workout and 1x per day (EAS whey protein from Costco (can't beat the price)
    Sustained-release protein at bedtime (currently Musclepharm Combot Powder, but may switch to Syntha-6)
    Preworkout - Concret (1.5 scoops) and BSN Hyper FX (1 scoop)
    Musclepharm Bullet-Proof - nighttime recover powder (I have not yet begun taking this)

Okay - I guess I take back my initial statement about this post being brief. If you read this, I really appreciate it so much and I know you guys have some great experience and advice and if there is anything you can assist me with, it'd really mean a lot to me! So, that being said, please go ahead, tell me what I'm doing right, what I'm doing wrong, how you'd tweak this program now or in the future. Thanks so much!!!

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.

Note: The purpose of this post in regards to supplementation is that I'm curious what the next step is beyond preworkout, protein and creatine. I'm taking Hyper FX right now (which I'd consider a slight test booster), but I'm really curious what the best supplement to use that will increase upon the gains I make with protein and creatine. Thanks again everybody!
  3. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by newfie89 View Post
    Note: The purpose of this post in regards to supplementation is that I'm curious what the next step is beyond preworkout, protein and creatine. I'm taking Hyper FX right now (which I'd consider a slight test booster), but I'm really curious what the best supplement to use that will increase upon the gains I make with protein and creatine. Thanks again everybody!
    May I interest you in some suggestions for that stack?

-First of all Protein is what it is, a Macronutrient , nothing else nothing more. Have it if it helps fill your requirements and kCaloric needs. As far as this subject goes, food will always trump a powder since it can be (not necessarily) more micronutrient rich
    -The most researched supplement in supplement history found to work is Creatine Monohydrate, I would stick to that for wallets sake and remember you don't need more than 3-5g a days, and I would recommend 3g for your weight. Creatine can be taken at ANY time of the day, it doesn't have to be pre-workout and I would recommend it POST workout, no not in the sense of an instant post workout supplement, just somewhere in the day after you have worked out.
    -Please look for another preworkout, there are far better formulas out there:
    -Monster Pump
    -Focus-XT
    -Craze
    Any of the past would fit the bill perfectly well, and if you have been on stimulants too much there's also the Stim-Free alternative:
    -Ultima
    -Caffeine Free Focus-XT
    -Hemavol
    If you really REALLY like powders and cannot live without them (some people love their taste and see them as a treat) then I would recommend:
    -Trutein
    -Ultra Peptide
    -Protean
    Amazing tastes, good profiles and also more bang for the buck...(Ultra Peptide and Protean have the best tastes in the whole industry)

If you are looking to take it a "step further" then I would suggest you first revisit your concepts upon supplementation, if a test booster is what you want there's good options like:
    -DAA
    -Triazole
    -Recourse (contains DAA and other goodies)

If an AI/Cort control is in order:
    -PES Erase (AI)
    -SNS Reduce-XT (Cort Control)
    -Formasurge (AI)

Anything else you might want to know? Remember something only please: Your gains come from your diet, rest and workout in that order. You cannot expect optimal results if one of them is not in check, specially the diet. You had the basics, if you don't NEED anything else just stick to the basics and maybe grab some fish oils (Controlled Labs Oximega Greens are amazing)
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep
    •   

4. Banned
    Stats
    5'8"  195 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

BSN..not a fan of at all...its close behind Muscle Tech.
  5. New Member

Celorza has some solid advice. Your diet looks to be in check which is always the most important aspect of any physique desires. If you're looking to pick up weight I'd lower cardio and switch to 4x a week work out tops. Rest and recovery are just as important for growing as training is and you look to be close to overtraining and inhibiting gains.

Creatine, Beta Alanine, a solid multi (Orange Triad or the new Anavite would be my recommendation), a probiotic (Gut Health is cheap and effective), and fish oil are all something everyone should take daily in my opinion.

Other things that can impact performance:
    Agmatine- 500 mg-1 g pre wo and 500 mg before 1 carb meal in the day has many benefits and can help with nutrient partitioning and NO production.
    COP- new to the market but 2g pre WO is said to increase endurance noticably.
    Citrulline Malate- different dosages have different benefits but 6g pre WO increases pump and 8-9 g increases endurance.
    PLCAR, ALCAR, LCLT- different forms of carnitine do different things but all have great benefits at 2 g a day

SNS is my go to for most of the products above and have very reasonable prices.

Extras: Many people love to add something into their cycle to aid their current goals. Examples could be fat burners, GDAs, test boosters, estrogen inhibitors, and natural "anabolics".
    A couple of my favorites are DAA, Erase, ArA (X factor, Xgels), and Recompadrol. AnaBeta (and Anabeta Elite) get a ton of love on this forum too and I can't wait to give ABE a try.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-09-2012, 02:10 AM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-22-2007, 09:24 AM
  3. Somewhat confused aboyt my current Diet
    By Spectre32 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-04-2006, 06:48 PM
  4. Training while on gear vs my current style.....
    By The Rob in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-26-2004, 06:11 PM
  5. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-16-2003, 10:27 PM