Restricted calorie diets don't appear to extend lifespan

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It was originally shown in fruit fly studies that by cutting calories to 30% of what was considered normal maintenance you could achieve significant lifespan increases. This long term 2nd study on rhesus monkey appears to show that it is not the case in the primates

Low Cal Diet Doesn't Increase Monkey Lifespan - AnabolicMinds.com

There was a prior study that showed lifespan increases in monkeys, but that study had a list of flaws about as long as the American Heart Association's diet studies.

It is interesting although not totally surprising that monkeys who were close to normal weight that were put on the -30% diet when they were older did see some blood marker improvements but it did not come with an increase in lifespan.

howwedo107

howwedo107

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What is the maint cals of a fruit fly? .00000001 cal? Haha

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I actually sat in on a seminar from one of the lead researchers in this field and was required to type up a 2 page summary/review of her lecture and all present studies. I'll post it up when I'm at the right computer.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Starving monkeys for 25 years? :worried: Not cool. Especially for a negative result.
mind you this is the second set as well, with the earlier sloppy study showing positive results.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I actually sat in on a seminar from one of the lead researchers in this field and was required to type up a 2 page summary/review of her lecture and all present studies. I'll post it up when I'm at the right computer.
Subbed

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
She get into sirtuins, ampk, ppar's and all that good stuff? Or just calorie restriction itself?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'd like to see someone *cough coop* start a thread with some good research pieces on AGEs. I can't quite bring myself to only steaming and boiling foods so far, but I keep pondering it.