Total Newb!

jimmywst

jimmywst

Awards
Evenin all,

Im a total beginner to supplementing my weight training (which im still pretty raw at too) and was wondering where would be an ideal place to start supplementing from, the aim of the game is turning my (pretty) soft 181 5'10 frame into something bigger and stronger...i've been trying various whey proteins over the past couple of months and thats as far as i got before drowning in a sea of web-based info.

any pointers in the right direct would be greatly appreciated.

uvawahoowa

Awards
Evenin all,

Im a total beginner to supplementing my weight training (which im still pretty raw at too) and was wondering where would be an ideal place to start supplementing from, the aim of the game is turning my (pretty) soft 181 5'10 frame into something bigger and stronger...i've been trying various whey proteins over the past couple of months and thats as far as i got before drowning in a sea of web-based info.

Start w whey, creatine, fish oil, and a multi.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
i would start with learning proper nutrition, getting your workout down packed and then go from there........food does wonders!

but i would start with creatine, beta alanine, omegas, vitamins, whey (if needed) and maybe a pre workout

uvawahoowa

Awards
i would start with learning proper nutrition, getting your workout down packed and then go from there........food does wonders!

but i would start with creatine, beta alanine, omegas, vitamins, whey (if needed) and maybe a pre workout
This is true, diet > supplements

Jay888999

Jay888999

Banned
Awards
Evenin all,

Start with diet first..learn how to train..Routine,form,rom& diet most important

jimmywst

jimmywst

Awards
Thanks guys.. Been trying to read up on nutrition but find it all a little "all or nothing"... Hard trying to find that happy medium, what with work commitments (two/three hourly eating windows aren't always possible) and Also having a young family kinda screws the best laid plans...

p5sky

p5sky

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks guys.. Been trying to read up on nutrition but find it all a little "all or nothing"... Hard trying to find that happy medium, what with work commitments (two/three hourly eating windows aren't always possible) and Also having a young family kinda screws the best laid plans...
Once you learn and understand proper nutrition it becomes a habit, PLUS it will be good for your entire family. Sure the 6 meals/day is ideal, but proper macros is def more important. My mid-meal nutrition is usually a protein shake because I am at work at it is convenient.

All of the other posts are exactly what you need. Learn proper nutrition, a good workout for your goals, and then creatine, fish oil, multi-vitamin.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I'd start by posting your diet and training and goals and we can go from there:)

jimmywst

jimmywst

Awards
Before I started training I read up a little on nutrition, as I said earlier but probably due to habit more than choice I stick to 3 square meals... Typically on a standard day I will eat

Breakfast
Bowl of rolled oats with skimmed milk
Cup of instant coffee (not a great "morning person")
Whey shake before leaving for work

Mid-morning
Bananas or apples

Lunch
Two rounds of either chicken breast or tuna sandwiches

Mid afternoon
More fruit either banana or nectarine
Grain/fibre snack bar

Dinner
Family meal which will always consist of meats, veggies, spuds or rice. (keen on kids eating well)

Training (5 days a week hitting the different muscle groups on individual days)
Followed by
whey proteins shake Post w/out.

Does it just need tweaking or totally re-thinking :)

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
for breakfast take the time to cook your food-eggs are fine with eggwhites or protein pancakes

mid morning do a shake or if you have time to eat whole protein do it-same with mid afternoon

Jay888999

Jay888999

Banned
Awards
for breakfast take the time to cook your food-eggs are fine with eggwhites or protein pancakes

mid morning do a shake or if you have time to eat whole protein do it-same with mid afternoon
Ive read that more protein is found in the egg yolks...i think with good diet,u dont have to skip on the yolks..they contain amino acids. I eat whole eggs and very rarely just whites..ive cut down and very well not cutting yolks.Then again cause they contain fats,i can see a ,ompetitive bb'er cutting them...

uvawahoowa

Awards
Ive read that more protein is found in the egg yolks...i think with good diet,u dont have to skip on the yolks..they contain amino acids. I eat whole eggs and very rarely just whites..ive cut down and very well not cutting yolks.Then again cause they contain fats,i can see a ,ompetitive bb'er cutting them...
It's not necessarily the protein, but the omegas and sat fats along with the micronutrients in the yolk that makes it great for lifters

Jay888999

Jay888999

Banned
Awards
It's not necessarily the protein, but the omegas and sat fats along with the micronutrients in the yolk that makes it great for lifters
Yes,I am knowledeable about all that ^^^,but thnx anyway.But my reply was about the other poster sticking with just eggwhites....yolk contains bcaas as well,which also help in the transport of protein...im no scientist,but thats what i read.

jimmywst

jimmywst

Awards
Maybe I should make more time in the
Mornings to get the solid foods in.. I try and do my cardio before work three times a week do a little fuel for the furnace can't hurt right?

be yourself- everyone else is taken

jimmywst

jimmywst

Awards

Earlier alarm set... Gonna try and rustle up some protein pancakes, thanks for the
Nod in that direction.

JosNYC

Awards
Diet looks solid based on what you have mentioned thus far. At 5'10 and 181 we are on that same size "Boat." These guys are 100% on the diet > supplements, I learned this the hard way. It sounded to me like you wanted to build muscle, correct me if im wrong, but if I heard you right i think working out 5 days a week may be a little taxing on the body. I was doing this, and yes everyone one is different- this is more for the guy who'll chime in and make the same statement, but I also found that if I wanted add muscle I needed to do some compound exercises-Push ups with varying angles, Pull ups with varying angles, Dips-not chair dips but bar dips only, weighted Burpees, plymoterics, walking lunges-eventually weighted etc. on an alternating schedule. The goal for me is to eventually do 100 of each exercise in however many sets and reps are needed to hit 100 with the ultimate goal of 100 reps in 4 sets of 25 each - not their yet but im coming along well. My body started changing, fast, growing stronger and faster and bigger every month.

Instead of five days per week I am doing this every other day or every two days depending on how sore/stiff my body is on a given day. However, I do perform cardio 5 days a week every AM. for 30 minutes light cardio, never spirited.

jimmywst

jimmywst

Awards
Diet looks solid based on what you have mentioned thus far. At 5'10 and 181 we are on that same size "Boat." These guys are 100% on the diet > supplements, I learned this the hard way. It sounded to me like you wanted to build muscle, correct me if im wrong, but if I heard you right i think working out 5 days a week may be a little taxing on the body. I was doing this, and yes everyone one is different- this is more for the guy who'll chime in and make the same statement, but I also found that if I wanted add muscle I needed to do some compound exercises-Push ups with varying angles, Pull ups with varying angles, Dips-not chair dips but bar dips only, weighted Burpees, plymoterics, walking lunges-eventually weighted etc. on an alternating schedule. The goal for me is to eventually do 100 of each exercise in however many sets and reps are needed to hit 100 with the ultimate goal of 100 reps in 4 sets of 25 each - not their yet but im coming along well. My body started changing, fast, growing stronger and faster and bigger every month.

Instead of five days per week I am doing this every other day or every two days depending on how sore/stiff my body is on a given day. However, I do perform cardio 5 days a week every AM. for 30 minutes light cardio, never spirited.
The compound ex's sound like great ways of working out, especially from a stamina/strength point of view. initially I was blind sided by just purely training with weights however like yourself I found an article on a bodybuilding website that championed incorporating compounds into the weight training sessions and I have noticed a difference already (only about 3weeks using dips/press up etc as "warm ups")

The only reason I have taken to training five days a week is solely down to not getting much "pump" from three days alternative training, plus the two rest days at the weekend means quality time with the kids... although I'm starting to realise that you can "over train". I guess the more you read the more you learn.

JosNYC

Awards
Try a four day spilt giving yourself one day off in the middle, i.e. Mon Tues-Thurs Fri.

I understand the whole weekends off thing- I'm a proud Papa my self.

In regard to the Compound ex's, i dont incorporate them at all in my weight training. Instead I will workout with weights one week and the next week its all compound ex's with my leg workout/upper body being my midpoint, i.e. Mon: Push ups, Pull ups, and Dips Wed: Burpees, Walking lunges, Squats, and Plyometrics Fri: Push ups, Pull ups, and Dips then I switch to two lower body workout days and One upper body work out day on that second alternating week.

Its a hell of a change of pace keeping your body -or at least mine - resilient.

jimmywst

jimmywst

Awards
Sounds like a great way of keeping the
Muscle groups alternated...(uneducated assumption) Thanks for the insight fella...depending on results after my current training cycle I may give something like this a whirl, keen on trying all variations till I find something that suits. Guess that's the benefit of being a rookie :)