sugar substitute

rhino67jg

rhino67jg

Awards
What would be the best & most healthy, sugar substitute to put in my morning coffee?

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
none...but stevia is ok i guess

Invycktus

Invycktus

Awards
  • Established
Agave, I would think.

monstermash

monstermash

Awards
  • Established
Stevia Balance from Now Foods.

Testdriver

Testdriver

Awards
I use straight up cane sugar but I don't go crazy. One to two teaspoons per cup. I've tried Splenda, sweet and low and they make my coffee taste like SH*T!! I also have a cheap espresso maker i got from wallys to make shooters with .... No sugar needed for espresso shots as far as I'm concerned :)

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Agave is horsecrap.

It is metabolised by liver causing fatty liver disease

RiZzah

RiZzah

Awards
Agave is horsecrap.

It is metabolised by liver causing fatty liver disease
This man speaketh truth.

If you've never heard the negatives on Agave, google is your friend.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
This man speaketh truth.

If you've never heard the negatives on Agave, google is your friend.
Thanks.
It messes with blood lips, increases LDL (bad) cholesterol, fatty liver, insulin resistance, drops in c reactive proteins and so forth.

Just bad bad news

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What's wrong with table sugar? Please don't bother with the "sugar is bad for you" rhetoric.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Sugar is sugar is sugar is cancer

D2footballjrc

D2footballjrc

Awards
I grow my own stevia, if I buy it, I like the stevia in the raw stuff.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
I really hope you don't believe that.
I treat sugar as what it is. Sugar.
I avoid it as much as possible.
I do eat glucose carbs and berries for their ORAC value.
Anything else no.
Read up on sugar rhad.

Bigez

Awards
The little bit of sugar that you would put in coffee isn't going to matter that much unless you go heavy with it and drink 25 cups a day.45 calories per tablespoon.It takes getting used to it but many people use honey.

RiZzah

RiZzah

Awards
Seriously.

Why has no one on this thread mentioned Honey?

I like a bit of honey in moderation, the benefits are endless.

Most of my shakes contain aspartame, and as much as I dislike it, I find its kind of inevitable to encounter it in supplements IE PWO, Intra workout, Post workout, you name it.

A company in the UK do whats called Flavadrops, I assume you probably have the equivalent in the US?

They are aspartame based drops of flavour you can put in your shakes/porridge/carb free greek yoghurt etc etc..

They do the job for me!

broons

Awards
  • Established
If I had to choose sugar or aspartame I would choose sugar. I agree about the honey though, so long as it is not overprocessed. The stuff you buy at like wally world is mostly worthless. Manufacturers get it way too hot so it flows better which destroys most of the nutritional value in it. If you can find a beekeeper and get some raw honey its awesome

monstermash

monstermash

Awards
  • Established
stevia > lo han guo > raw honey > xylitol > raw sugar >sucralose >aspartame I'm sure I'm forgetting some and some is opinion so don't crucify me plz.

I found Now Foods Stevia and Stevia balance (1gram inulin fiber and 50mcg chromium) to be the best tasting stevia powders and it doesn't contain any fillers or anti-caking agents. Stevia in the Raw had a weird after-taste for me and the use a small amount of maltodextrin/ose in it as an anti-caking agent. Another popular brand uses dextrose for the same reason and it also has a slightly bitter after-taste IMO.

AJay

Awards
I like to take Isomaltulose (or honey) instead of sugar, splenda, or anything else.

monstermash

monstermash

Awards
  • Established
Also, I would to throw it out there that Stevia is very alkaline.

nreviya

Awards
Splenda is the best in my opinion. Stevia is really weird. It gives sweet aftertaste stronger than when it is in my mouth. It is pretty disgusting. I do not feel Splenda at all. No aftertaste. I tried to use sugar when Splenda was not available, and I honestly don't know how people use that with coffee! It destroys it completely. Sour aftertaste after each gulp.

broons

Awards
  • Established
Splenda is the best in my opinion. Stevia is really weird. It gives sweet aftertaste stronger than when it is in my mouth. It is pretty disgusting. I do not feel Splenda at all. No aftertaste. I tried to use sugar when Splenda was not available, and I honestly don't know how people use that with coffee! It destroys it completely. Sour aftertaste after each gulp.
I think with stevia, a lot of it depends on the brand. I would actually like to grow some stevia on my own and try it out.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Although I never sugar my coffee (I do if I drink it iced), I might give truvia a shot. It's a pretty delicious sweetener as long as you don't go overboard. I used to be ok with Splenda even though it had this strange tart and soapy flavor, but now I'm not as huge of a fan. And any time you can avoid aspartame, do so.

monstermash

monstermash

Awards
  • Established

Most stevia's do have that "weird after-taste" I do agree with you there but flavor is very subjective and Splenda is not good for you IMO. Too much can/will effect body composition despite it being a calorie free sweetener. Mind you it's in a lot of things already ie preworkout, protein shake/powder, amino's ,etc...

BTW I drink my coffee either black or with very little half n half, that's it. Took a bit to adjust to unsweetened coffee but now that's the only way I like it now.

Ev52

Ev52

Awards
  • Established
You can buy Zsweet in bulk for cheap. It's a stevia/erithyritol blend that measures equally to sugar. I'm also a huge raw local honey fan...

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
BTW I drink my coffee either black or with very little half n half, that's it. Took a bit to adjust to unsweetened coffee but now that's the only way I like it now.
I think I drank too much in my early years of college, because when I picked up drinking coffee it was a very easy transition to drink it black.

Also I'm not familiar with the prevalence of sucralose in sports supplements. It's usually aspartame and acesulfame potassium, and sometimes stevia.

SokVichet

SokVichet

Awards
  • Established
I like to take Isomaltulose (or honey) instead of sugar, splenda, or anything else.
THIS. Also called Palatinose.

It tastes exactly like sugar (but slightly less sweet). No weird aftertaste. No cancer (sic). Low GI, and it is an actual carbohydrate with nutritional value. The only problem is it has become harder to find in the last year or so.

nreviya

Awards
Most stevia's do have that "weird after-taste" I do agree with you there but flavor is very subjective and Splenda is not good for you IMO. Too much can/will effect body composition despite it being a calorie free sweetener. Mind you it's in a lot of things already ie preworkout, protein shake/powder, amino's ,etc...

Maybe you are right, but I doubt the fact about body composition. I am using artificial sweeteners for at least 16 years. As you said all protein shakes are based on them. I competed in BB shows for last 3 years. I honestly do not feel that Splenda messes up with my diet.
Besides, I do not usually subscribe to a general idea that if it grows on a tree it must be better :)

monstermash

monstermash

Awards
  • Established
Also I'm not familiar with the prevalence of sucralose in sports supplements. It's usually aspartame and acesulfame potassium, and sometimes stevia.
Most of my flavored products list Sucralose ,splenda just being a brand name for it, as the main sweetener. It's usually coupled with Ace-K too. I noticed when using a bunch of artificially sweetened products I hold more weight around the midsection.

monstermash

monstermash

Awards
  • Established
Maybe you are right, but I doubt the fact about body composition. I am using artificial sweeteners for at least 16 years. As you said all protein shakes are based on them. I competed in BB shows for last 3 years. I honestly do not feel that Splenda messes up with my diet.
Besides, I do not usually subscribe to a general idea that if it grows on a tree it must be better :)
to be fair I was using a lot everyday of it when I noticed this.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Most of my flavored products list Sucralose ,splenda just being a brand name for it, as the main sweetener. It's usually coupled with Ace-K too. I noticed when using a bunch of artificially sweetened products I hold more weight around the midsection.
That's one thing I like about MST; they don't use sucralose, acesulfame K, or aspartame to flavor their products. And their preWO are absolutely delicious!

monstermash

monstermash

Awards
  • Established
Just for ****z n gigs here's a alkalinity chart. Stevia comes off as a clear winner health wise.

Category
High Acid
Medium Acid
Low Acid
Low Alkaline
Medium Alkaline
High Alkaline
Fruits
Blueberries, Cranberries, Prunes,Sweetened Fruit Juice
Sour Cherries, Rhubarb, Canned Fruit
Plums, Processed Fruit Juices
Oranges, Bananas, Cherries, Pineapple, Peaches, Avocados
Dates, Figs, Melons, Grapes, Papaya, Kiwi, Berries, Apples, Pears, Raisins
Lemons, Watermelon, Limes, Grapefruit, Mangoes, Papayas
Vegetables
Beans/Legumes
Potatoes (without skins), Pinto Beans, Navy Beans, Lima Beans
Cooked Spinach, Kidney Beans, String Beans
Carrots, Tomatoes, Fresh Corn, Mushrooms, Cabbage, Peas, Potato Skins, Olives, Soybeans, Tofu
Okra, Squash, Green Beans, Beets, Celery, Lettuce, Zucchini, Sweet Potato, Carob
Asparagus, Onions, Vegetable Juices, Parsley, Raw Spinach, Broccoli, Garlic
Meats
Beef, Pork, Shellfish
Turkey, Chicken, Lamb
Venison, Liver, Cold Water Fish
Eggs/Dairy
Cheese, Custard, Homogenized Milk, Ice Cream
Raw Milk
Eggs, Butter, Yogurt, Buttermilk, Cottage Cheese
Soy Cheese, Soy Milk, Goat Milk, Goat Cheese, Whey
Grains/Cereals
Wheat, White Flour, Pastries, Pasta
White Rice, Corn, Buckwheat, Oats, Rye
Sprouted/Whole Wheat Bread, Brown Rice
Millet, Wild Rice
Oils
Corn Oil
Canola Oil
Flax Seed Oil
Olive Oil
Beverages
Liquor, Beer, Soft Drinks
Coffee, Wine
Tea, Cocoa
Ginger Tea
Green Tea
Herb Teas, Lemon Water
Sweeteners
NutraSweet, Equal, Aspartame, Sweet 'N Low
White Sugar, Brown Sugar, Molasses
Processed Honey
Raw Honey, Raw Sugar
Maple Syrup, Rice Syrup
Stevia
Nuts/Seeds
Peanuts, Walnuts
Pecans, Cashews, Pistachios,
Pumpkin Seeds, Sunflower Seeds,Sesame Seeds
Chestnuts
Almonds
Misc.
Chocolate
Jam, Ketchup, Mayonnaise, Mustard, and Vinegar
Margarine, Lard

OP, here's an article on this exact subject

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/content/sugar-substitute-1489/

monstermash

monstermash

Awards
  • Established
That's one thing I like about MST; they don't use sucralose, acesulfame K, or aspartame to flavor their products. And their preWO are absolutely delicious!
Just looked it up and Rag has both sucralose and stevia. Definitely better than most but still has a artificial sweetener. Regardless, MST is a top-notch company.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just looked it up and Rag has both sucralose and stevia. Definitely better than most but still has a artificial sweetener. Regardless, MST is a top-notch company.
Woops! I didnt notice the sucralose, thanks for pointing that out. I somehow saw stevia and just stopped there I guess?

Ev52

Ev52

Awards
  • Established
Just for ****z n gigs here's a alkalinity chart. Stevia comes off as a clear winner health wise.

Category

High Acid

Medium Acid

Low Acid

Low Alkaline

Medium Alkaline

High Alkaline

Fruits

Blueberries, Cranberries, Prunes,Sweetened Fruit Juice

Sour Cherries, Rhubarb, Canned Fruit

Plums, Processed Fruit Juices

Oranges, Bananas, Cherries, Pineapple, Peaches, Avocados

Dates, Figs, Melons, Grapes, Papaya, Kiwi, Berries, Apples, Pears, Raisins

Lemons, Watermelon, Limes, Grapefruit, Mangoes, Papayas

Vegetables
Beans/Legumes

Potatoes (without skins), Pinto Beans, Navy Beans, Lima Beans

Cooked Spinach, Kidney Beans, String Beans

Carrots, Tomatoes, Fresh Corn, Mushrooms, Cabbage, Peas, Potato Skins, Olives, Soybeans, Tofu

Okra, Squash, Green Beans, Beets, Celery, Lettuce, Zucchini, Sweet Potato, Carob

Asparagus, Onions, Vegetable Juices, Parsley, Raw Spinach, Broccoli, Garlic

Meats

Beef, Pork, Shellfish

Turkey, Chicken, Lamb

Venison, Liver, Cold Water Fish

Eggs/Dairy

Cheese, Custard, Homogenized Milk, Ice Cream

Raw Milk

Eggs, Butter, Yogurt, Buttermilk, Cottage Cheese

Soy Cheese, Soy Milk, Goat Milk, Goat Cheese, Whey

Grains/Cereals

Wheat, White Flour, Pastries, Pasta

White Rice, Corn, Buckwheat, Oats, Rye

Sprouted/Whole Wheat Bread, Brown Rice

Millet, Wild Rice

Oils

Corn Oil

Canola Oil

Flax Seed Oil

Olive Oil

Beverages

Liquor, Beer, Soft Drinks

Coffee, Wine

Tea, Cocoa

Ginger Tea

Green Tea

Herb Teas, Lemon Water

Sweeteners

NutraSweet, Equal, Aspartame, Sweet 'N Low

White Sugar, Brown Sugar, Molasses

Processed Honey

Raw Honey, Raw Sugar

Maple Syrup, Rice Syrup

Stevia

Nuts/Seeds

Peanuts, Walnuts

Pecans, Cashews, Pistachios,

Pumpkin Seeds, Sunflower Seeds,Sesame Seeds

Chestnuts

Almonds

Misc.

Chocolate

Jam, Ketchup, Mayonnaise, Mustard, and Vinegar

Margarine, Lard

OP, here's an article on this exact subject

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/content/sugar-substitute-1489/
Nice chart

brutostronzo

Awards
We are talking sugar here, agreed it probably has zero efficiency or value the body can assimilate out of it... One thing I noticed however is most Whey Protein manufacturers include it or a man made synthesized form in protein products and everyone trying to gain muscle knows to probably have at least 3 x 40-50gram shakes a day.. Only protein I've noticed to have a reduced amount is Dymatize products or Optimum's "all natural" Pro complex.. Anyone know of any other good ones?