Study: BCAAs Improve Recovery

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Exercise-induced muscle damage is redu... [J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Exercise-induced muscle damage is reduced in resistance-trained males by branched chain amino acids: a randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled study.

Howatson G, Hoad M, Goodall S, Tallent J, Bell PG, French DN.
Abstract

ABSTRACT:
BACKGROUND:

It is well documented that exercise-induced muscle damage (EIMD) decreases muscle function and causes soreness and discomfort. Branched-chain amino acid (BCAA) supplementation has been shown to increase protein synthesis and decrease muscle protein breakdown, however, the effects of BCAAs on recovery from damaging resistance training are unclear. Therefore, the aim of this study was to examine the effects of a BCAA supplementation on markers of muscle damage elicited via a sport specific bout of damaging exercise in trained volunteers.
METHODS:

Twelve males (mean +/- SD age, 23 +/- 2 y; stature, 178.3 +/- 3.6 cm and body mass, 79.6 +/- 8.4 kg) were randomly assigned to a supplement (n = 6) or placebo (n = 6) group. The damaging exercise consisted of 100 consecutive drop-jumps. Creatine kinase (CK), maximal voluntary contraction (MVC), muscle soreness (DOMS), vertical jump (VJ), thigh circumference (TC) and calf circumference (CC) were measured as markers of muscle damage. All variables were measured immediately before the damaging exercise and at 24, 48, 72 and 96 h post-exercise.
RESULTS:

A significant time effect was seen for all variables. There were significant group effects showing a reduction in CK efflux and muscle soreness in the BCAA group compared to the placebo (P < 0.05). Furthermore, the recovery of MVC was greater in the BCAA group (P < 0.05). The VJ, TC and CC were not different between groups.
CONCLUSION:

The present study has shown that BCAA administered before and following damaging resistance exercise reduces indices of muscle damage and accelerates recovery in resistancetrained males. It seems likely that BCAA provided greater bioavailablity of substrate to improve protein synthesis and thereby the extent of secondary muscle damage associated with strenuous resistance exercise. Clinical Trial Registration Number: NCT01529281.

Full-text analysis to follow tomorrow morning.

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What was their protein intake? That is really the only question that matters. With a high enough intake of protein, BCAA supplementation should have no impact on recovery.... right?

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
What was their protein intake? That is really the only question that matters. With a high enough intake of protein, BCAA supplementation should have no impact on recovery.... right?
This is why I will be delving into the full text tomorrow. The discussion section is key here.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What was the ratio? Did I miss it?

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What was the ratio? Did I miss it?
They used 2:1:1. Unfortunately it looks as if dietary protein intake (or any intake for that matter) was not controlled. :(

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I would be slightly more inclined to know there protein intake directly coupled with resistance training.

Say someone is doing a fasting diet, they eat 1.5g+(bodyweight(kg)) in protein, but all in one sitting; this one sitting is also no where near training; in this scenario I would rather know dosing than total macros.

Maybe a bad example, but hopefully makes sense.

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Very interesting coop. I look forward to reading this one.

DJBeanPole

DJBeanPole

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
tumblr_m6iqzdyfy61qckaivo2_500.jpg

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Where are we at on this? Coop?

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
They used 2:1:1. Unfortunately it looks as if dietary protein intake (or any intake for that matter) was not controlled. :(
Until we see a few good studies doing this we are going to be constantly arguing about the necessity of BCAA supplementation vs. just a higher protein diet/whey shakes which are already abundant in BCAA's.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
This should be interesting. I was a BCAA/EAA nonbeliever until recently when I started adding Extend as my intraWO and sometimes sip it on off days. I have recently resumed training after a 2 year hiatus where I was unable to lift more than 2-3x per month due to traveling constantly for work. Despite loss of condition, I have hit the weights hard and have been remarkably "un-sore" this last 2 weeks. Normally under these circumstances, I would have DOMS for 3-5 days.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Sorry for not coming back to this. The study was ultimately unimpressive as they compared the results to placebo. What the fitness community needs is for BCAAs to be compared to whey protein, OR to have individuals on high protein diets employ BCAAs.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I thought my brotelligent post settled the matter? lol. Back to the drawing board...with crayons in tow.

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
Sorry for not coming back to this. The study was ultimately unimpressive as they compared the results to placebo. What the fitness community needs is for BCAAs to be compared to whey protein, OR to have individuals on high protein diets employ BCAAs.
Not the same as a large scale double blind peer reviewed study, but I'm sure Scivation undertook a small scale study of just that. A comparison of whey, carbohydrates and BCAAs taken during training by resistance trained athletes.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Not the same as a large scale double blind peer reviewed study, but I'm sure Scivation undertook a small scale study of just that. A comparison of whey, carbohydrates and BCAAs taken during training by resistance trained athletes.
Is this the study that has remained unpublished for like 8 years now?

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Is this the study that has remained unpublished for like 8 years now?
Nothing like a supplement company doing studies to really make you feel good about their products. They have nothing to gain by setting it up to establish the results that make their product look good, nothing at all :)

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would think this would follow along the lines of multi-vitamins. If you are solid with your dietary intake of protein, then it really is just overkill.

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
Nothing like a supplement company doing studies to really make you feel good about their products. They have nothing to gain by setting it up to establish the results that make their product look good, nothing at all :)
Hence my disclaimer. Just thought I would throw it out there. It was published I think, not in any journal though, so how much reliance you would want put on it I don't know.