whats the newest trend for full detox?

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.77%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Geoforce View Post
    I make a habit of taking an open mind into any discussion. I've changed my mind often throughout the iron game on many former truths: I need meals every few hours, need casein protein before bed, need lots of carbs post-workout, etc. Honestly if something doesn't interest me I don't educate myself on it that much. I have no desire to be a detox expert and from the looks of this thread so far few people in it are either. What I've read about detox stuff so far I haven't been convinced. Most of the testimony seems to come from supplement sellers that I've seen.

I educate myself largely by looking for studies on things. Anecdotal evidence is ok for some things, but for a detox diet probably not so much IMO. As best as I've seen so far few studies exist. I'm not waiting on someone to change my mind, if no one does then no one does and I'll feel the exact same way I always did about them. The stuff I mentioned earlier people on forums or through my own reading changed my mind. I'm not going to search for a ton of reasons why detox diets are necessary and so far I can't find studies that say they do. If someone drops a knowledge bomb on me I'll research what they said and see if it has validity. But right now I'm limited to "you know how many toxins are out there!"

FWIW I think a huge difference exists between what you talk about in terms of clean water and alkalizing vegetables and the lay persons supplement based detox diet wonder. Many of the "master cleanse, super flush, etc" seem to be carrying some pretty significant side effects and I don't think it's wrong to wonder if people are doing more harm than good. Again, from what I've read I've yet to see scientific evidence that our bodies are loaded with toxins we can't purge on our own and that we need to take drastic steps or else we're screwed. I can't educate myself into finding scientific studies that say this yet
    Just as I suspected.....

We are on the exact same page after all. lol I should have clarified from the start that these mainstream detoxes SUCK, but a healthy, natural, cleansing/detox may be of use to many of us. Just due to the changes in our diets, micro/macro environments justifies this alone in my opinion. From the acidity in water, to carbonation and processed food we are really ramping up the potential for inflammation and acidosis to occur internally. Not to say the body cannot handle this properly over time, but it definitely leads to an increase in chronic diseases which has become overwhelmingly apparent over the last few decades.

So while I agree with you that there may not be very much concrete evidence on the bodies inability to properly maintain pH in the midst of the increased exposure to toxins, I do feel the chronic disease increase alone should raise some sort of red flag. You're stance on open mindedness is very similar to my own, so reps for that. Didnt mean to come off like a know-it all before, but I've almost started to anticipate people's ignorance towards the amount of absolute garbage we put into our systems on a daily basis.

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.73%

Going back to what I said earlier. Drink water. Lot's of water. Only water. For an extended period of time. All of this=successful fast. Keep it simple op. Those new trend things are a waste of cash.
    iForce Nutrition Representative
    iTrain. iCompete. iDominate…iForce!
    www.iforcenutrition.com
  3. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.84%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

alot of great replies, i was mainly reffering to basic protocols not so much "detoxing", wrong choice of words, i actually have been doing a ton of water along with my multi and greens, i dropped whey powder and added more whole food....
    LG Sciences forum representative
    www.lgsciences.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/249846-lg-sciences-would.html
    •   

4. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.93%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by DaveGabe24 View Post
    Just as I suspected.....

We are on the exact same page after all. lol I should have clarified from the start that these mainstream detoxes SUCK, but a healthy, natural, cleansing/detox may be of use to many of us. Just due to the changes in our diets, micro/macro environments justifies this alone in my opinion. From the acidity in water, to carbonation and processed food we are really ramping up the potential for inflammation and acidosis to occur internally. Not to say the body cannot handle this properly over time, but it definitely leads to an increase in chronic diseases which has become overwhelmingly apparent over the last few decades.

So while I agree with you that there may not be very much concrete evidence on the bodies inability to properly maintain pH in the midst of the increased exposure to toxins, I do feel the chronic disease increase alone should raise some sort of red flag. You're stance on open mindedness is very similar to my own, so reps for that. Didnt mean to come off like a know-it all before, but I've almost started to anticipate people's ignorance towards the amount of absolute garbage we put into our systems on a daily basis.
    I didn't think you were coming off like a know it all by any means, I was just trying to explain my thought process a bit better. ]

Most of what we "know" is probably going to end up being wrong anyways. The truths of old eras are now falsehoods in many lines of thinking from basic science to economics to politics etc. Most of what our elders "knew" ended up being false and it's stupid to assume we won't end up being false on a lot of things as well. I already mentioned all the old "truths" I'd accepted that ended up being wrong anyways.

Knowing this it's next to pointless to ever assume we are 100% correct in any type of scientific debate or as muscleheads with anything as complicated as our bodies. I think the worst thing anyone could ever do is assume they have tons of correct answers when it comes to supplements, exercise, or something like detox. We have to keep in mind our elders had all the answers as well
    EvoMuse Products Rep

PM me with any questions!
  5. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.24%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Good question. Wondering about the same thing. I will be going vegan for a week or two. There's also the green pepper and water detox. Detox pruduct suck.
    GAME ON! MOVAH FUKAZ!
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/231867-man-sports-gameday.html#post4047619
  6. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.84%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by murk01 View Post
    Good question. Wondering about the same thing. I will be going vegan for a week or two. There's also the green pepper and water detox. Detox pruduct suck.
    i added lemon to my water and cayenne
    LG Sciences forum representative
    www.lgsciences.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/249846-lg-sciences-would.html
  7. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  196 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    96.58%

Just like much of this industry, the "detox" idea is based on something that seems to make logical sense when it is explained, but doesn't actually hold up against scientific scrutiny. Almost all detox protocols just involve sweating and ****ting. Unless you're constipated or are about to get a colonoscopy, don't bother.

Live "healthy"? Go for it, even though the health industry is filled with scare tactics like everything else. Living a "healthy" lifestyle does not necessarily mean cutting out things that are not actually dangerous like artificial sweeteners, GMOs, whatever other BS someone told you causes cancer. Eat a diet with good macronutrient composition, eat real foods when possible, exercise, love your family, get a hobby, quit drinking, and you will be living a healthy lifestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by fightbackhxc View Post
    Probably the most ignorant post I've read in a good while. The amount of toxins in our environment is much higher and you can see this with the skyrocketing disease rates. Autism all time high, cancer runs rampant. Just because the body is resilient doesn't mean we shouldn't try to make it healthier and more efficient.
    This is a terrible argument for "detoxing." Autism is at an "all time high" because we are just beginning to understand it and diagnose it -- we don't simply call autistic children "retards" and forget about the rest. To think autism is caused by environmental factors is crazy. Cancer's a fun one, too. Sure, smoking cigarettes causes lung cancer as do a very select few lifestyle activities. Excepting a few things like tobacco use that have more than just a loose correlation with cancer (ie. eating red meat doesn't cause cancer just because people that enjoy red meat get cancer more often), the increase in cancer diagnoses is again improved diagnostic techniques and understanding. There was a time when people simply died...nowadays we actually can figure out why. Perhaps even more importantly, we now have the ability to keep people from dying every time they get the flu, etc. making it more likely that they make it to the time in life when cancer can get them.

Again...go ahead and live a healthy lifestyle, hedge your bets. Don't waste your time and money on bull****, though.
  8. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.77%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I didn't think you were coming off like a know it all by any means, I was just trying to explain my thought process a bit better. ]

Most of what we "know" is probably going to end up being wrong anyways. The truths of old eras are now falsehoods in many lines of thinking from basic science to economics to politics etc. Most of what our elders "knew" ended up being false and it's stupid to assume we won't end up being false on a lot of things as well. I already mentioned all the old "truths" I'd accepted that ended up being wrong anyways.

Knowing this it's next to pointless to ever assume we are 100% correct in any type of scientific debate or as muscleheads with anything as complicated as our bodies. I think the worst thing anyone could ever do is assume they have tons of correct answers when it comes to supplements, exercise, or something like detox. We have to keep in mind our elders had all the answers as well

So true. One of my favorite classes in undergrad was philosophy of science, we read books by Kuhn and learned how science inevitably leads to anomalies while evolving within the confines of its own paradigms. So to ever think we possess infallible knowledge is simply ignorant, agreed. It was often my professors that would admit they did not know something, that seemed to impress me the most, along with those that were willing to be corrected or hear a student out with a different perspective.

However, I do believe many of the laws, principles, basic findings of today's age will be much less proven wrong, but perhaps built upon. Call it wishful thinking
  9. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.93%

Quote Originally Posted by DaveGabe24 View Post
    So true. One of my favorite classes in undergrad was philosophy of science, we read books by Kuhn and learned how science inevitably leads to anomalies while evolving within the confines of its own paradigms. So to ever think we possess infallible knowledge is simply ignorant, agreed. It was often my professors that would admit they did not know something, that seemed to impress me the most, along with those that were willing to be corrected or hear a student out with a different perspective.

However, I do believe many of the laws, principles, basic findings of today's age will be much less proven wrong, but perhaps built upon. Call it wishful thinking
    To your last point I agree. As we continue to build upon our knowledge base in theory we should be getting less wrong. Also agree on the professors, in this day and age everyone thinks they are an expert on everything. Often I'm most impresseople say "we just don't know or we just can't be certain."
    EvoMuse Products Rep

10. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.72%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Clearly this doesn't refute anything. On the contrary I was saying it's far from settled. I don't think anyone yet has given a good reason for why we need to detox, and more importantly what detox diet to follow and why to follow this specific diet. I came into this thread thinking "never really been pointed to a good reason why I need to do this" and I haven't changed my mind yet. I'm more than willing to once someone can say something a bit more convincing than "the toxins bro!"

That was snarky of me, I apologize. I agree with a lot of the statements made about a "healthy lifestyle" per se as a way to avoid toxins. I'm not sold on the need for detoxing per se, just that I've been through a couple of them and it is disturbing that there is enough crud in my body to make me completely ill even just attempting to get rid of them.

IMO, unless you have a chronic issue that lifestyle adjustments don't fix, then don't detox...unless you're the adventurous type
  11. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.2%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Geoforce

I'm not going to attempt to refute the "amount of toxins higher" but where is the proof that any of these diets make you healthier? We don't have any medical studies that I know of that prove detox diets work or are even necessary. Sky rocketing disease rates? We LIVE longer than at any other time in history. Of course some of these rates are higher, we aren't dying at age 40 anymore. And I'd love to see a study where detox diets have anything to do with autism.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/press_...promote-health

"Our bodies are remarkable systems that filter out toxins on an ongoing basis. The organs responsible for detoxification are the liver, lungs, kidneys, and skin. When nutrients and other substances first enter the body the first place they go is the liver, which filters out and eliminates harmful toxins such as drugs and alcohol. Additionally, the kidneys filter out wastes by creating urine for excretion. The skin allows us to sweat out toxins, and the lungs allow us to filter the air that we breathe.

Since our bodies are primarily water--around 70%--it makes sense that staying hydrated through drinking adequate amounts of water also helps us stay healthy. However, to date there is no scientific evidence to support the idea that water flushes out toxins."

http://www.bidmc.org/YourHealth/Holi...ChunkID=100544

And that was with a 2 second google search. At the very least I'd say the "need" is quite debatable. Some of the detox diets seem much harder on the system than clean eating would be! You could be right, but I think either side assuming 100% victory here is a bit disingenuous.
    The posters arguments were not with trendy detox diets. He said in general detox was stupid. There are several ways to help ur body detox such as staying hydrated having a good diet and utlizing saunas etc. I'm opposed to these trendy things as well but a lot of detox science coming out has a ton of merit. Little things we can do everyday makes a big difference. Using all organic products and staying away from typical household chemicals, detergents, cosmetics etc.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions | Online Representative
    Growth Factor XT-GROW! Need Cycle Support? Check out Liver XT.
    Follow SNS on Facebook for more promos!
  12. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.93%

The posters arguments were not with trendy detox diets. He said in general detox was stupid. There are several ways to help ur body detox such as staying hydrated having a good diet and utlizing saunas etc. I'm opposed to these trendy things as well but a lot of detox science coming out has a ton of merit. Little things we can do everyday makes a big difference. Using all organic products and staying away from typical household chemicals, detergents, cosmetics etc.
    Well it certainly evolved as such. The problem is everyone is arguing completely different things, especially if their original point got called out. I could not agree more with avoiding chemicals, detergents, etc...and many of the "detox" ideas espoused here so far are ones I'm already on board with!
    EvoMuse Products Rep

13. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.42%

Quote Originally Posted by chimeranD View Post
    Who's to say it's not diet, or lifestyle, or many genetic factors and people being in such high proximity to each other causing it? The fact is, we don't know what causes these in such high amounts, and detoxing may not do anything besides hurt your body worse. I'm still going to firmly believe in a good diet rich in fruits and vegetables along with whatever else I need. Been doing that for some time and never felt better, why bother going on a specific diet that isn't going to do anything that my diet isn't already?

This too.

lol the fruits and vegetables you eat have artificial hormones and are not natural like they use to be, have been sprayed with chemicals and other shiz...so as much as you try to be healthy you can't unless you have your own garden..lol
  14. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.77%
    Achievements Posting Pro

A bit off topic, but for those that follow Layne Norton on facebook...he had a few posts the other day about organic being completely worthless compared to inorganic...

Thoughts?

15. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.24%

Quote Originally Posted by DaveGabe24
    A bit off topic, but for those that follow Layne Norton on facebook...he had a few posts the other day about organic being completely worthless compared to inorganic...

Thoughts?
    I think that's BS. Deffinite benifit with organic. U can't measure/scale quality of life.
    That's like saying posion is the same as no posion.
    GAME ON! MOVAH FUKAZ!
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/231867-man-sports-gameday.html#post4047619
  16. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.77%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I think that's BS. Deffinite benifit with organic. U can't measure/scale quality of life.
    That's like saying posion is the same as no posion.
    I was on the fence about it myself, as he raised some valid points and I try to avoid simplifying complex situations like you have here.

When I get home I'll post some of the literature he offered for people to look over before they started shouting out what they "believe."
  17. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  196 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    96.58%

Hormones in my fruits, eh? lol

I hope we all realize that synthetic pesticides are now safer than natural pesticides...and even better, they keep pests out of your food. If we switched all world farming to organic methods...we'd be short on food to the tune of about half of the population. There's a reason that people eating these foods aren't just randomly dropping dead. There is even some evidence that organic foods are LESS nutrient dense than non-organically farmed foods.

The BS about hormones in our meats is overblown as well. Yes, some livestock is "juiced" up. How this means eating their muscle is bad is beyond me. Even if there were trace amounts of hormones in the meat, I strongly doubt they would survive the preserving/cooking process and I doubt even more strongly that they'd be orally bioavailable. There's a reason Pat Arnold worked at ErgoPharm and not a steakhouse.
  18. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.24%

For example look at bpa's
    Raise estrogen levels. Kill testosterone and cuases cancer.
    Most supermarkets buy fruits Covered in it because it gives it a shine. Like a wax coating.
    GAME ON! MOVAH FUKAZ!
  19. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.24%

That's y my boys drink out of glass. Bottles.
    GAME ON! MOVAH FUKAZ!
  20. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    96.68%

Quote Originally Posted by kojack View Post
    lol the fruits and vegetables you eat have artificial hormones and are not natural like they use to be, have been sprayed with chemicals and other shiz...so as much as you try to be healthy you can't unless you have your own garden..lol
    Lol so since I say I eat a lot of fruits and veggies that means I got them all from a supermarket? I do live in the country with dozens of local farms as well as farmers markets weekly, so think before you talk kiddo.
    Quote Originally Posted by D3Baseball View Post
    The BS about hormones in our meats is overblown as well. Yes, some livestock is "juiced" up. How this means eating their muscle is bad is beyond me. Even if there were trace amounts of hormones in the meat, I strongly doubt they would survive the preserving/cooking process and I doubt even more strongly that they'd be orally bioavailable. There's a reason Pat Arnold worked at ErgoPharm and not a steakhouse.
    I will say that locally farmed beef I get is MUCH more flavorful than something purchased at the supermarket, as well as cheaper and I can buy it in bulk and pack a freezer or two
  21. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    96.68%

Quote Originally Posted by kojack View Post
    Lol so since I say I eat a lot of fruits and veggies that means I got them all from a supermarket? I do live in the country with dozens of local farms as well as farmers markets weekly, so think before you talk
    Quote Originally Posted by D3Baseball View Post
    I will say that locally farmed beef I get is MUCH more flavorful than something purchased at the supermarket, as well as cheaper and I can buy it in bulk and pack a freezer or two
    For example look at bpa's
    Raise estrogen levels. Kill testosterone and cuases cancer.
    Most supermarkets buy fruits Covered in it because it gives it a shine. Like a wax coating.
    You will likely kill yourself by overeating those foods before getting the effects of those BPA's. Yet another health scare with little to no ground to stand on.
  22. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.61%

I've never done a detox, though I drink alot of water and oximega greens.
    I guess I never really felt my body needed a detox, except maybe after the holidays

Subb'ed!
  23. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.58%

Good thread!
  24. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.42%

I can tell you the fruits and veggies and meat in Afghanistan taste a whole lot better than in the states....
  25. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.8%

Quote Originally Posted by kojack
    I can tell you the fruits and veggies and meat in Afghanistan taste a whole lot better than in the states....
    Uh, we are going to disagree on this one lol
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222
  26. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.42%

Quote Originally Posted by CopyCat View Post
    Uh, we are going to disagree on this one lol
    lol...granted there isnt much fruits here but the mulberries, apples, and cantaloupes are good. we dont get much out here in this vsp.
  27. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  160 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.83%

Quote Originally Posted by bioman View Post
    I think a lot of detox products are scams, however I think the overall concept of detox is fairly well documented and having experienced it a few times, I believe it. As a species we are indeed swimming in chemical compounds that our bodies were never meant to deal with. Whatever the liver cannot deal with can get stored in cells and this too is detailed in the literature. Dr's are great, but generally only after something is already broken.
    So true! A lot of supplements and other product offers right now are scam. But for me, the newest trend for full detox that is totally not a scam is this chlorella supplement from a doctor named Mercola. I've tried using it for over a month now and suprisingly, I really feel that my immune system is a lot stronger than before. No kidding. Try it and see for yourself.
  28. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  196 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    96.58%

Oh lord, you dun goofed giving money to Mercola. He has spent his entire adult life spreading bull****.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Liver/blood/full body detox
    By BurghHardcore in forum Supplements
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-27-2010, 02:15 PM
  2. Any one else notice this trend lately...
    By Zero V in forum General Chat
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 02-24-2010, 12:30 PM
  3. Detox Cleanse Your Body with a Detox Kit
    By David Dunn in forum Supplements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-25-2009, 02:18 PM
  4. Keep an eye out for this dumb trend
    By tattoopierced1 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-29-2006, 08:20 PM
  5. so the trend now is m1t w/ 4ad huh?