Any fat burners to avoid while on an SSRI?

lboston

lboston

Awards
Are there any get burners one might want to steer away from if on an SSRI? I've read some different opinions on it, but wanted to get some of your opinions on this. If you could give specific products that would be much appreciated.

Sarkis18

Sarkis18

Awards
I would stay clear of any with Yohimbine/Alpha-Yohimbine/Rauwolscine

Sarkis18

Sarkis18

Awards
Alpha-2 antagonists (Yohimbine, Alpha-Yohimbine etc.) can actually increase serotonin production, which can bring about some negative sides if you are on an SSRI. Also, if you're taking the SSRI for anxiety, Yohimbine could exacerbate your anxiety, as could other stimulants, so you should be careful there as well.

lboston

lboston

Awards
Alpha-2 antagonists (Yohimbine, Alpha-Yohimbine etc.) can actually increase serotonin production, which can bring about some negative sides if you are on an SSRI. Also, if you're taking the SSRI for anxiety, Yohimbine could exacerbate your anxiety, as could other stimulants, so you should be careful there as well.
Thanks again-I take a VERY low dose of lexapro-10mg daily for generalized anxiety, but I drink a ton of caffeine and used stimmed pre-workouts...I have a very high tolerance to 1,3 and other stims.

Hopefully I can find something without the ingredients you and EBF suggested and give it a go. It's a shame, the AAV2 was the exact product I was wanting to use!

lboston

lboston

Awards
RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It may help your mood. If you choose to use it. Take it extremely slow an talk it over with yur health care practitioner

allieninja

allieninja

Awards
Thanks again-I take a VERY low dose of lexapro-10mg daily for generalized anxiety, but I drink a ton of caffeine and used stimmed pre-workouts...I have a very high tolerance to 1,3 and other stims.

Hopefully I can find something without the ingredients you and EBF suggested and give it a go. It's a shame, the AAV2 was the exact product I was wanting to use!
I've had problems with SSRIs and Yohimbine before. I try to use non-stim fat burning options such as Lean Xtreme. I've used EC in the past with no problems as well.

lboston

lboston

Awards
I've had problems with SSRIs and Yohimbine before. I try to use non-stim fat burning options such as Lean Xtreme. I've used EC in the past with no problems as well.
What type of problems did you have? Do you mind sharing?

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
I ironically had bigger issues with Anxiety while taking SSRI and Anti-Anxiety meds with Lean Extreme than I have with Yohimbine.

I've been taking SSRI's right now and Anti-Anxiety and am able to take 2 - 3 caps of Yohimbine in the morning in an empty stomach (1 cap at a time, 3 hours apart).

Don't ask me why but that has been the case.

lboston

lboston

Awards
I ironically had bigger issues with Anxiety while taking SSRI and Anti-Anxiety meds with Lean Extreme than I have with Yohimbine.

I've been taking SSRI's right now and Anti-Anxiety and am able to take 2 - 3 caps of Yohimbine in the morning in an empty stomach (1 cap at a time, 3 hours apart).

Don't ask me why but that has been the case.
You ever used oxyelite pro? That's the one I'm considering.

J19891

J19891

Awards
Agreed. This one time I took some yohimbine with a big ol block of tyramine containing cheese. Fun afternoon. And by fun, I mean the worst day of my life.

lboston

lboston

Awards
How about oxyelite pro? The ingredients are as follows:

Proprietary Blend 119.5mg
Bauhinia Purpurea L. (Leaf And Pod)(Standardized For Bauhnia-Statins 1-4), Bacopa Monniera (Leaf), 1,3-Dimethylamylamine (Geranium [Stem]), Cirsium Oligophyllum (Whole Plant Extract), Rauwolscine (Rauvolfia Canescens L. [Leaf And Root])
Caffeine 100mg

I know it has the Rauwolscine, which sarkis mentioned steering clear of.

Anyone on a SSRI use this?

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Reps for a good post

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
You ever used oxyelite pro? That's the one I'm considering.
Nothing personal, but I don't use USP Labs products.

I'm sure plenty of people have had great results with many of them, but the 5 I tried, the 5 I guess I was a "non-respondent" so therefore I will not be spending any more money on those. Would sure be willing to give some of their products a try and perhaps my perception will change, but as of now, I feel like I would rather spend my money on other things I've tried and worked for me (Dexaprine, Alpha T2, etc)

Nothing personal.

lboston

lboston

Awards
Nothing personal, but I don't use USP Labs products.

I'm sure plenty of people have had great results with many of them, but the 5 I tried, the 5 I guess I was a "non-respondent" so therefore I will not be spending any more money on those. Would sure be willing to give some of their products a try and perhaps my perception will change, but as of now, I feel like I would rather spend my money on other things I've tried and worked for me (Dexaprine, Alpha T2, etc)

Nothing personal.
Was thinking about dexaprine--what kind of results did you see?

Sarkis18

Sarkis18

Awards
Thanks--I appreciate it. How exactly does the Rauwolscine interact with the SSRI?
Essentially an alpha-2 antagonist like rauwolscine can cause an increase in serotonin levels by enhancing serotonergic neurotransmission by inhibiting receptors that decrease serotonin transmission and stimulating receptors that increase transmission. Seeing as an SSRI is already increasing serotonin levels, this can leave you with "too much serotonin" when on an SSRI, and can lead to Serotonin Symptom, which can be life threatening, but more common sides would probably be headaches, vomitting, nausea, and problems with coordination etc. (I suggest looking this up). Basically, rauwolscine has the potential to enhance the effects of your SSRI, but to an unwanted degree that can be uncomfortable and dangerous.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Essentially an alpha-2 antagonist like rauwolscine can cause an increase in serotonin levels by enhancing serotonergic neurotransmission by inhibiting receptors that decrease serotonin transmission and stimulating receptors that increase transmission. Seeing as an SSRI is already increasing serotonin levels, this can leave you with "too much serotonin" when on an SSRI, and can lead to Serotonin Symptom, which can be life threatening, but more common sides would probably be headaches, vomitting, nausea, and problems with coordination etc. (I suggest looking this up). Basically, rauwolscine has the potential to enhance the effects of your SSRI, but to an unwanted degree that can be uncomfortable and dangerous.
Exactly this^^^ Best case scenario, you feel so crappy that you won't even workout...best case.

lboston

lboston

Awards
Thanks again. In that case, I should probably sell this unopened bottle of OEP in the cabinet...

I'd like to quit the SSRI (lexapro) altogether, but coming off is a b:tch. I only take 10mg and really don't feel it's necessary. Started taking it like 7 years ago when going through some serious stress in college.

Any thoughts as to whether or not using something that contains Yohimbe or other things could elevate serotonin to a point where it could make weaning off easier?

Quit cold turkey once, but the headaches were so bad I caved and went back on.

Sarkis18

Sarkis18

Awards
Any thoughts as to whether or not using something that contains Yohimbe or other things could elevate serotonin to a point where it could make weaning off easier?
Yohimbe is a known anxiogenic, so it probably would not be helpful when trying to come off an SSRI.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Thanks again. In that case, I should probably sell this unopened bottle of OEP in the cabinet...

I'd like to quit the SSRI (lexapro) altogether, but coming off is a b:tch. I only take 10mg and really don't feel it's necessary. Started taking it like 7 years ago when going through some serious stress in college.

Quit cold turkey once, but the headaches were so bad I caved and went back on.
10mg is pretty low, but you're going to want to speak with your physician about weaning off. Definitely don't go cold turkey ever off of an SSRI. You'd probably only have to do 5mg for a month, if your doctor thinks that is even necessary.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Thanks--I appreciate it. How exactly does the Rauwolscine interact with the SSRI?
The new Dexaprine is going to have Rauwolscine so you might want to pick up some of the old version if you can still get it.

lboston

lboston

Awards
I appreciate all the great feedback. Going to steer clear of the stims. Any non stim products work for anyone?

allieninja

allieninja

Awards
The new Dexaprine is going to have Rauwolscine so you might want to pick up some of the old version if you can still get it.
Good lookin out, I was gonna try this but now I know to steer clear. Hopefully I can try out some of the old version before it's not around anymore.

I appreciate all the great feedback. Going to steer clear of the stims. Any non stim products work for anyone?
DS Lean Xtreme
SNS Reduce XT
Raspberry Ketones
TTA (haven't tried this yet personally but a lot of nice things are said about it by trusted forum members)

lboston

lboston

Awards
Good lookin out, I was gonna try this but now I know to steer clear. Hopefully I can try out some of the old version before it's not around anymore.

DS Lean Xtreme
SNS Reduce XT
Raspberry Ketones
TTA (haven't tried this yet personally but a lot of nice things are said about it by trusted forum members)
Thanks allie--appreciate it.

I'm an elementary teacher, I need that SSRI more than I need to loose a couple pounds! ; )

allieninja

allieninja

Awards
Thanks allie--appreciate it.

I'm an elementary teacher, I need that SSRI more than I need to loose a couple pounds! ; )
SSRIs can make a huge positive change in some people's lives, and if you don't get any side effects from them, why not improve your quality of life? You can get cut without fat burners, it's just a little harder.

JosNYC

Awards
Hopefully this isn't too far off topic, however, it is still a serious concern while supplementing for body building purposes. Liver enzymes get out of whack with prolonged use of Nsaid's and SSRI's. I would definitely speak with a Doc about the use of of any stim/fat burners as they can put additional stress on your liver. If insured, a request to have quarterly/possibly monthly blood test to detect liver enzyme abnormalities is within reason because SSRI's are known to put stress on the liver.

lboston

lboston

Awards
Hopefully this isn't too far off topic, however, it is still a serious concern while supplementing for body building purposes. Liver enzymes get out of whack with prolonged use of Nsaid's and SSRI's. I would definitely speak with a Doc about the use of of any stim/fat burners as they can put additional stress on your liver. If insured, a request to have quarterly/possibly monthly blood test to detect liver enzyme abnormalities is within reason because SSRI's are known to put stress on the liver.
I think you are well within reason to be concerned about that. I am as well. I had liver cancer years ago, so I pay close attention to that.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Is this true? I know it is for nsaids but never heard of that with SSRIs.
Sort of, but that original statement is misleading. They do affect the liver because they are a drug and are metabolized by cytochrome P 450. There have been documented accounts of it causing issues with the liver, but it is extremely rare and usually requires liver issues to begin with. It also depends on the SSRI itself.

JosNYC

Awards
Sort of, but that original statement is misleading. They do affect the liver because they are a drug and are metabolized by cytochrome P 450. There have been documented accounts of it causing issues with the liver, but it is extremely rare and usually requires liver issues to begin with. It also depends on the SSRI itself.
Admittedly, I did not elaborate enough in my post and I want to thank Aleksandar for clarifying, he is spot on that although cases are rare and contigent upon factors such as pre-existing conditions and the SSRI itself, Overall health, lifestyle and bodybuilding supplementation can exacerbate the stress/demand on the liver.

Having a baseline reading on Liver enzymes during normal (individualized) function is important in understanding the changes taking place during supplementation and/or prolonged Nsaid/SSRI use.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Admittedly, I did not elaborate enough in my post and I want to thank Aleksandar for clarifying, he is spot on that although cases are rare and contigent upon factors such as pre-existing conditions and the SSRI itself, Overall health, lifestyle and bodybuilding supplementation can exacerbate the stress/demand on the liver.

Having a baseline reading on Liver enzymes during normal (individualized) function is important in understanding the changes taking place during supplementation and/or prolonged Nsaid/SSRI use.
Agreed. Physical and blood work is always a good idea no matter what you're taking:)

feather319

feather319

Awards
Just wanted to post that I found Dexaprine to make my anxiety and mood worse! I actually thought OEP worked well for me and I've never had a problem with Yohimbine HCL. Not sure if that help but it is just my experience.

lboston

lboston

Awards
Just wanted to post that I found Dexaprine to make my anxiety and mood worse! I actually thought OEP worked well for me and I've never had a problem with Yohimbine HCL. Not sure if that help but it is just my experience.
Feather-are you on an SSRI?

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Sometimes different stim products affect people differently. Some have anxiety so bad that they need to stay away from stims period in their diet.

lboston

lboston

Awards
Would something like a Shift + Methyl Synphernine stack be something that would interact with an SSRI?

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Would something like a Shift + Methyl Synphernine stack be something that would interact with an SSRI?
Not at all:) It's definitely what I would recommend if you are having issues with an SSRI interacting with supps. You could even add caffeine too. The only thing is that some people have anxiety that is triggered by use of stims, but that isn't from an interaction between drugs.

lboston

lboston

Awards
Not at all:) It's definitely what I would recommend if you are having issues with an SSRI interacting with supps. You could even add caffeine too. The only thing is that some people have anxiety that is triggered by use of stims, but that isn't from an interaction between drugs.
May have to give that a try. I drink around 2 cups coffee and 3 diet cokes a day; caffeine doesn't bother me too much. Stims to any degree don't seem to bother. I've used varying stimmed preworkouts with no problems--other than a crash after a workout!

Thanks for the feedback.

th3futur3

Awards
  • Established
New Dexaprine= No Anxiety. Lots of sweating. Waistline shrinkage! I am a huge believer in this one!!! Going to be EPIC!

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
New Dexaprine= No Anxiety. Lots of sweating. Waistline shrinkage! I am a huge believer in this one!!! Going to be EPIC!
No anxiety in people with preexisting conditions and on meds for anxiety?

allieninja

allieninja

Awards
May have to give that a try. I drink around 2 cups coffee and 3 diet cokes a day; caffeine doesn't bother me too much. Stims to any degree don't seem to bother. I've used varying stimmed preworkouts with no problems--other than a crash after a workout!
Same here. I can do any stim, it's the lesser talked about ingredients that are added in sometimes that you have to watch out for.

I heard the new Dexaprine formula has a chem SSRI users should stay away from, IIRC. I'm not sure off the top of my head though and I don't have access to the ingredient label .

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Same here. I can do any stim, it's the lesser talked about ingredients that are added in sometimes that you have to watch out for.

I heard the new Dexaprine formula has a chem SSRI users should stay away from, IIRC. I'm not sure off the top of my head though and I don't have access to the ingredient label .
New dexaprine has rauwolscine

th3futur3

Awards
  • Established
True. I meant me. Lol. I should of clarified that! Good looks! I actually have been on anti-psychotics and anti-depressants for over 5 years and had no issue with the new Dexaprine. I have been off meds for 1 year, however. So yes I have a pre-existing diagnosis and so far so good.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I told you about it on page 2 :D