cancer and supplements

westhockey32

westhockey32

Awards
hey my friend is thru his first month of cancer treatment I wanted to send him a little care package, I’ve been doing a lot of research I found glutamine, bcaa, and whey protein are actually really good for cancer patients, obviously he must consult with his cancer dietitian to make sure these supplements do not interfere with his treatments, but I’m sending him them three things. My question is if anyone might know a little more about this type of thing through experience and what else I can get him, thanks

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
my friend had cancer and isnt even allowed to take protein right now

C

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Any anti oxidant like vit e.. coq10.. nac... rapeseed extract.. cordyceps.

What kind of cancer.. as that matters.

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My sibling found accupunture to be therapeutic for combating the sides of chemotherapy and radiation. Anything to help strengthen the immune system would be helpful as well.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
hey my friend is thru his first month of cancer treatment I wanted to send him a little care package, I’ve been doing a lot of research I found glutamine, bcaa, and whey protein are actually really good for cancer patients, obviously he must consult with his cancer dietitian to make sure these supplements do not interfere with his treatments, but I’m sending him them three things. My question is if anyone might know a little more about this type of thing through experience and what else I can get him, thanks
Let his highly educated and experience oncologist and nutritionist treat him. I imagine an oncologist and nutritionist may know a little bit about what they are doing without the need of mine or your help. Seriously.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I mean this as respectfully as possible.

I think what you are asking (items related to post-cancer, post-chemo health, prevention of reccurrance) is way "bigger" than what's offered on this board. While certain supps can help, there are so many variables and specificities with respect to the different types of cancers, that such a question begging for misinformatioon at best and hurtful information at worst (despite everyone's best intentions).

Your desire of sending a healthy care package for your friend are very cool, but perhaps one better than that would be a wisely chosen book on such things written by a respected author to give your friend the tools he/she needs to properly recover and give the best chances for permamanent remission.

Congrats to your friend for beating cancer. Focusing efforts on decreasing chances for return can be a real battle. I speak from experience. ;)

westhockey32

westhockey32

Awards
yea me and him are kind of different in getting my engineering degree and I love working out and being healthy, I don’t think he would take the time to read a book just not that into things like that, but if is dietitian okays that stuff I get him he would probably take it. The thing is he lives on his own with his girlfriend I just want to get him something he could use, the friend of mine isn’t into fitness and stuff he doesn’t even know what to eat or what to get when he goes shopping, probably not a good cook either. Just trying to let him know I’m here for him, plus if he cant take the supps , i will!lol I was more or less trying to get some stories from other people and see what helps what doesnt

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Vitamins, aminos, protein, fish oil.

My mom is going through cancer right now. Things like probiotics help because chemo screws with your digestion (as well as so many other things obv.)

Iron, as chemo can be known to lower iron levels.

Something like GrubOn, Black Hole, something to increase appetite. Eating to get your strength through cancer is VERY important (hence why medical THC is prescribed...so they'll eat!)

rome32

rome32

Board Sponsor
Awards
I had skin cancer a while back and the doctor said the supplements I was taking made a big difference and help force it out of my body instead of growing inward.

Supplements saved my life man. I was taking Pro Complex and that has 14g bcaa and 10g glutamine. Along with M5 and a multi.

3utcher

3utcher

Awards
Let his highly educated and experience oncologist and nutritionist treat him. I imagine an oncologist and nutritionist may know a little bit about what they are doing without the need of mine or your help. Seriously.
this

and no, BCAA is no good for cancer.

A

annielizstan

Awards
Hi friends,
The best way to get the vitamins, minerals and other nutrients you need is through a balanced and varied diet, with plenty of fruit and vegetables.

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hi friends,
The best way to get the vitamins, minerals and other nutrients you need is through a balanced and varied diet, with plenty of fruit and vegetables.
Well looks like i've been doing things wrong this whole time. FLM

R

rhgunner

Awards
My wife had gallbladder cancer and has been cancer free for two years. A bought a product for her made by Cell Forte called IP-6 & Inositol. Helps build your immune system and increases natural killer-cell activity. Google the product.

3utcher

3utcher

Awards
My wife had gallbladder cancer and has been cancer free for two years. A bought a product for her made by Cell Forte called IP-6 & Inositol. Helps build your immune system and increases natural killer-cell activity. Google the product.
She better do squat than taking those supps

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
:06:

She better do squat than taking those supps

R

rhgunner

Awards
Well a lot of people swear by it and we tried it. It seemed to boost her immune system after chemo and radiation treatment. I'm not telling anyone to buy it, but to research it.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Supplements are the last thing he should want/need.

Hardcore Purus Labs Rep.
-Mobile Device Posting.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Be a good friend and buy him a tonne of brightly coloured fruits and vegetables.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
There ARE supplements that have been shown to help with chemotherapy outcomes, however they need to be very carefully researched and tailored to both the type of chemo as well as the type of cancer in question. As others stated, work very closely with the cancer dietician and oncologist before starting anything.

A shotgun approach is not warranted for this disease.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So much fail.

First, BCAA's are the absolute worst thing you can give a cancer patient... Protein as well.

Both illicit a IGF response, of which is fuel to cancer cells, and considering the whole point of chemo is to restrict protein turnover in certain cells, your friend may want to follow that restriction guideline.. no point in chemo.

As for anti-ox's and the likes... again, each thing better be cleared with an oncon.. You can probably assume the oncon has them on the stuff they should be taking. Each supp works through a certain MOA, and has periphery actions that may be detrimental to the treatment, or exasperate the issue.

The postulating and recommendations being made in this thread is a bit ominous.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Back squat cure cancer
Love to see a study where the ONLY cancer treatment was back squats that subsequently lead to a reduction in cancer cells..

J

JD261985

Banned
Awards
Ask a doctor because most of us aren't

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
This is in a 4:1 mix and is pattened, but it can very easily be duplicated with bulk powder for a far smaller price. Look at BAC.

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My mum has had breast cancer 4x. She has so many vitamins n stuff, but i notice she takes like chinese mushroom extracts for her immune system! You can find books on this, they tell you what herbs/foods help prevent/fight cncer. Time for your mate to start reading. Good luck. ;)

3utcher

3utcher

Awards
So much fail.

First, BCAA's are the absolute worst thing you can give a cancer patient... Protein as well.

Both illicit a IGF response, of which is fuel to cancer cells, and considering the whole point of chemo is to restrict protein turnover in certain cells, your friend may want to follow that restriction guideline.. no point in chemo.

As for anti-ox's and the likes... again, each thing better be cleared with an oncon.. You can probably assume the oncon has them on the stuff they should be taking. Each supp works through a certain MOA, and has periphery actions that may be detrimental to the treatment, or exasperate the issue.

The postulating and recommendations being made in this thread is a bit ominous.
This.
Many chemo drugs inhibit the mTor pathway, so taking BCAA is stupid.
Many drugs are metabolised by Glutathion, so taking N-Ac-Cys is stupid.
and the list goes on..