SSRI'S and supps

allday54

Awards
I have been on an SSRI for about 4 months. I asked the doctor if I should stay away from any supps and he said no. Anyone know of any certain supps I should stay away from or what will happen if I take something I shouldn't?????

allday54

Awards
I've been taking jack3d and recently finished muscle marinade and I didn't notice any strange sides

dvp

Awards
Any product that impacts serotonin levels or pathways could either enhance or mitigate the SSRIs effects.

That could create a whole host of side effects. Just keep your doctor informed and you should be fine.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
There are plenty of supplements that you should be cautious with (i.e. yohimbine). Post them here if you're uncertain

J19891

J19891

Awards
I have been on an SSRI for about 4 months. I asked the doctor if I should stay away from any supps and he said no. Anyone know of any certain supps I should stay away from or what will happen if I take something I shouldn't?????
Only one I can think to avoid off hand would be St. John's Wort and possibly mucuna pruriens/L-dopa. STJW is essentially a weak herbal SSRI, and mucuna/L-dopa effects your neurotransmitters as well.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Yohimbine and Rauwolscine. Those will directly interfere, but you also need to address why you are taking the SSRI. If it is for depression, fine, but if you are taking it for anxiety, you might want to stay away from things like stims that will exacerbate your symptoms without actually interacting with your medication.

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yohimbine and Rauwolscine. Those will directly interfere, but you also need to address why you are taking the SSRI. If it is for depression, fine, but if you are taking it for anxiety, you might want to stay away from things like stims that will exacerbate your symptoms without actually interacting with your medication.
allday54, if there is anything you are unsure of in regards to interactions, Aleks is the man to ask!

dvp

Awards
Aleks wondering if you are willing to explain the science behind that? Thanks.

Edit: or anyone willing to (Cooper et al.) Thanks

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
http://www.nature.com/tpj/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/tpj201124a.html

2 dietary ingredients affecting 5-htt,

5-htt backround on diabetes.. showing that 5-htt increases can aid in serotonin resistance ect.

Major depression as a disorder of serotonin resistance: inference from diabetes mellitus type II

the association between antidepressant use and disturbances in glucose homeostasis; evidence from spontaneous reports

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Aleks wondering if you are willing to explain the science behind that? Thanks.

Edit: or anyone willing to (Cooper et al.) Thanks
Under normal circumstances, serotonin is released into the synapse between two neurons and then taken back up. If you have a problem (often depression or anxiety) that might require a boost in serotonin, then SSRIs simply inhibit the presynaptic neuron from taking it back up, so that it has more time to work on the targeted cell. But then if you add something like yohimbine or rauwolscine, which can act on serotonin receptors (you might see them listed as 5-HT receptors), you're going to have too much and could go into the region of experiencing serotonin syndrome. The syndrome itself can be fatal, but, with an SSRI and a supplement, more than likely you're just going to have headaches and nausea.

Those are just two examples of ones that act directly though and the CNS is not that black and white. If you change levels of another neurotransmitter, that may also boost serotonin indirectly, but probably not enough to cause sickness (at least not with supplements).

allday54

Awards
I have no depression whatsoever. It's for anxiety. Since I have been on my SSRI I have been taking preworkouts and haven't experienced any sides. The SSRI has worked extremely well for my anxiety. Right now I'am cycling off stimulant based pw's for a month.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I have no depression whatsoever. It's for anxiety. Since I have been on my SSRI I have been taking preworkouts and haven't experienced any sides. The SSRI has worked extremely well for my anxiety. Right now I'am cycling off stimulant based pw's for a month.
Excellent! Some people are more sensitive to stims than others and pre-workouts should be fine for most. It's when you get into the stim supps that are meant more as fat burners that you might or might not have increased anxiety.

allday54

Awards
I'm taking it for anxiety. Since I have been taking the ssri I have been taking pw's and haven't experienced my prior symptoms returning at all.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Aleksander hit the nail on the head. Chances are the if you're using SSRIs, you're using them for a reason that yohimbine definitely works against.

allday54

Awards
Aleksander hit the nail on the head. Chances are the if you're using SSRIs, you're using them for a reason that yohimbine definitely works against.
I've never heard of yohimbine. Is it a stimulant?

schroedes

schroedes

Awards
i take 100mg zoloft a day, i know with the androseries products it can be a problem cause of the grapefruit content, what about the new alpha series from FRL?, uses berberine to inhibit cyp34a, think this would increase blood levels of the medication? would like to try the stuff

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
i take 100mg zoloft a day, i know with the androseries products it can be a problem cause of the grapefruit content, what about the new alpha series from FRL?, uses berberine to inhibit cyp34a, think this would increase blood levels of the medication? would like to try the stuff
I wouldn't use them together. I recommend asking your pharmacist though.

schroedes

schroedes

Awards
I wouldn't use them together. I recommend asking your pharmacist though.
guys have said they used the androseries with ssri's with no problems, took the meds as far as possible from the supp, too bad a FRL rep couldnt chime in on this and the inhibition of the enzyme. ive also read that zoloft and a couple others arent strongly affected by the cyp34a enzyme anyways so maybe it wouldnt be a problem

lboston

lboston

Awards
I take 10mgs of lexapro every day for anxiety and I've used several stimmed and non-stimmed preworkouts with no noticeable interferences with my medication. If there were some, I'm certain my lady would have pointed it out...

Mrpersinality

Mrpersinality

Awards
I take 10mgs of lexapro every day for anxiety and I've used several stimmed and non-stimmed preworkouts with no noticeable interferences with my medication. If there were some, I'm certain my lady would have pointed it out...
How is the Lexapro with labido? I got off of Zoloft (hell coming off of that ****) for anxiety but it's coming back big time so i was gonna see about Lexapro

allday54

Awards
How is the Lexapro with labido? I got off of Zoloft (hell coming off of that ****) for anxiety but it's coming back big time sink was gonna see about Lexapro
I've been on 20 Mg's of celexa and my libido is spot on.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
guys have said they used the androseries with ssri's with no problems, took the meds as far as possible from the supp, too bad a FRL rep couldnt chime in on this and the inhibition of the enzyme. ive also read that zoloft and a couple others arent strongly affected by the cyp34a enzyme anyways so maybe it wouldnt be a problem
There are some meds that are affected more than others. If you were taking something like Buspar, I would say don't mess with it, but you might be fine with the Zoloft. It's just at your own risk of course.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
10mg is a fairly low dose and pre-workouts for the most part are not going to directly conflict with the Lexapro. My point was that if you're taking it for anxiety, something like a stim which raises your heart rate may trigger a panic attack in some people, but not all. If you're fine though, then keep doing what you're doing:)

allday54

Awards
There are some meds that are affected more than others. If you were taking something like Buspar, I would say don't mess with it, but you might be fine with the Zoloft. It's just at your own risk of course.
I have heard ssri's lower test levels in some people?? Is this only in the higher doses like 30mg or 40mg. I'm taking 20mg and haven't experienced any noticeable test suppression.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I have heard ssri's lower test levels in some people?? Is this only in the higher doses like 30mg or 40mg. I'm taking 20mg and haven't experienced any noticeable test suppression.
The research isn't very clear on a direct connection between the two. The topic does come up because SSRIs can cause sexual dysfunction, which can be an indirect measure of test levels, but not always. If you're not experiencing any issues with libido or erections, I wouldn't worry about it.