SSRI'S and supps

  1. New Member
    allday54's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  160 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    180
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    10.01%

    SSRI'S and supps


    I have been on an SSRI for about 4 months. I asked the doctor if I should stay away from any supps and he said no. Anyone know of any certain supps I should stay away from or what will happen if I take something I shouldn't?????

  2. New Member
    allday54's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  160 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    180
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    10.01%

    I've been taking jack3d and recently finished muscle marinade and I didn't notice any strange sides
  3. New Member
    dvp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    56
    Rep Power
    101
    Level
    7
    Lv. Percent
    24.23%

    Any product that impacts serotonin levels or pathways could either enhance or mitigate the SSRIs effects.

    That could create a whole host of side effects. Just keep your doctor informed and you should be fine.
    •   
       

  4. Diamond Member
    mr.cooper69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,667
    Rep Power
    6777729
    Level
    99
    Lv. Percent
    23.5%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

    There are plenty of supplements that you should be cautious with (i.e. yohimbine). Post them here if you're uncertain
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  5. New Member
    J19891's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    408
    Rep Power
    4886
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    71.34%

    Quote Originally Posted by allday54 View Post
    I have been on an SSRI for about 4 months. I asked the doctor if I should stay away from any supps and he said no. Anyone know of any certain supps I should stay away from or what will happen if I take something I shouldn't?????
    Only one I can think to avoid off hand would be St. John's Wort and possibly mucuna pruriens/L-dopa. STJW is essentially a weak herbal SSRI, and mucuna/L-dopa effects your neurotransmitters as well.
  6. Senior Member
    Aleksandar37's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,820
    Rep Power
    1236078
    Level
    50
    Lv. Percent
    87.26%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Yohimbine and Rauwolscine. Those will directly interfere, but you also need to address why you are taking the SSRI. If it is for depression, fine, but if you are taking it for anxiety, you might want to stay away from things like stims that will exacerbate your symptoms without actually interacting with your medication.
    ***PES Representative***
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  7. Diamond Member
    bdcc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    10,449
    Rep Power
    10742714
    Level
    108
    Lv. Percent
    55.13%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandar37 View Post
    Yohimbine and Rauwolscine. Those will directly interfere, but you also need to address why you are taking the SSRI. If it is for depression, fine, but if you are taking it for anxiety, you might want to stay away from things like stims that will exacerbate your symptoms without actually interacting with your medication.
    allday54, if there is anything you are unsure of in regards to interactions, Aleks is the man to ask!
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  8. New Member
    dvp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    56
    Rep Power
    101
    Level
    7
    Lv. Percent
    24.23%

    Aleks wondering if you are willing to explain the science behind that? Thanks.

    Edit: or anyone willing to (Cooper et al.) Thanks
  9. Enhanced Body Formulations
    EBF Inc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,772
    Rep Power
    1704913
    Level
    68
    Lv. Percent
    13.43%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    http://www.nature.com/tpj/journal/va...pj201124a.html

    2 dietary ingredients affecting 5-htt,

    5-htt backround on diabetes.. showing that 5-htt increases can aid in serotonin resistance ect.

    Major depression as a disorder of serotonin resistance: inference from diabetes mellitus type II


    the association between antidepressant use and disturbances in glucose homeostasis; evidence from spontaneous reports
    Enhanced Body Formulations Product Educator

    For any questions on our products that need a quick response, please email me directly
    EnhancedBodyFormulations@gmail .com
  10. Senior Member
    Aleksandar37's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,820
    Rep Power
    1236078
    Level
    50
    Lv. Percent
    87.26%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by dvp View Post
    Aleks wondering if you are willing to explain the science behind that? Thanks.

    Edit: or anyone willing to (Cooper et al.) Thanks
    Under normal circumstances, serotonin is released into the synapse between two neurons and then taken back up. If you have a problem (often depression or anxiety) that might require a boost in serotonin, then SSRIs simply inhibit the presynaptic neuron from taking it back up, so that it has more time to work on the targeted cell. But then if you add something like yohimbine or rauwolscine, which can act on serotonin receptors (you might see them listed as 5-HT receptors), you're going to have too much and could go into the region of experiencing serotonin syndrome. The syndrome itself can be fatal, but, with an SSRI and a supplement, more than likely you're just going to have headaches and nausea.

    Those are just two examples of ones that act directly though and the CNS is not that black and white. If you change levels of another neurotransmitter, that may also boost serotonin indirectly, but probably not enough to cause sickness (at least not with supplements).
    ***PES Representative***
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  11. New Member
    allday54's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  160 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    180
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    10.01%

    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandar37
    Yohimbine and Rauwolscine. Those will directly interfere, but you also need to address why you are taking the SSRI. If it is for depression, fine, but if you are taking it for anxiety, you might want to stay away from things like stims that will exacerbate your symptoms without actually interacting with your medication.
    I have no depression whatsoever. It's for anxiety. Since I have been on my SSRI I have been taking preworkouts and haven't experienced any sides. The SSRI has worked extremely well for my anxiety. Right now I'am cycling off stimulant based pw's for a month.
  12. Senior Member
    Aleksandar37's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,820
    Rep Power
    1236078
    Level
    50
    Lv. Percent
    87.26%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by allday54 View Post
    I have no depression whatsoever. It's for anxiety. Since I have been on my SSRI I have been taking preworkouts and haven't experienced any sides. The SSRI has worked extremely well for my anxiety. Right now I'am cycling off stimulant based pw's for a month.
    Excellent! Some people are more sensitive to stims than others and pre-workouts should be fine for most. It's when you get into the stim supps that are meant more as fat burners that you might or might not have increased anxiety.
    ***PES Representative***
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  13. New Member
    allday54's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  160 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    180
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    10.01%

    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandar37
    Yohimbine and Rauwolscine. Those will directly interfere, but you also need to address why you are taking the SSRI. If it is for depression, fine, but if you are taking it for anxiety, you might want to stay away from things like stims that will exacerbate your symptoms without actually interacting with your medication.
    I'm taking it for anxiety. Since I have been taking the ssri I have been taking pw's and haven't experienced my prior symptoms returning at all.
  14. Diamond Member
    mr.cooper69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,667
    Rep Power
    6777729
    Level
    99
    Lv. Percent
    23.5%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

    Aleksander hit the nail on the head. Chances are the if you're using SSRIs, you're using them for a reason that yohimbine definitely works against.
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  15. New Member
    allday54's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  160 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    180
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    10.01%

    Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69
    Aleksander hit the nail on the head. Chances are the if you're using SSRIs, you're using them for a reason that yohimbine definitely works against.
    I've never heard of yohimbine. Is it a stimulant?
  16. Diamond Member
    mr.cooper69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,667
    Rep Power
    6777729
    Level
    99
    Lv. Percent
    23.5%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

    Yes
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  17. New Member
    allday54's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  160 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    180
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    10.01%

    Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69
    Yes
    What are some supplements that contain it?
  18. Advanced Member
    schroedes's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  221 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    555
    Rep Power
    5615
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    34%

    i take 100mg zoloft a day, i know with the androseries products it can be a problem cause of the grapefruit content, what about the new alpha series from FRL?, uses berberine to inhibit cyp34a, think this would increase blood levels of the medication? would like to try the stuff
    T2
  19. Senior Member
    Aleksandar37's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,820
    Rep Power
    1236078
    Level
    50
    Lv. Percent
    87.26%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by allday54 View Post
    What are some supplements that contain it?
    It's a lot to list, but here is what you get from searching over at nutraplanet: http://www.nutraplanet.com/search?query=yohimbine

    Some of those that are listed don't have yohimbine, but do contain rauwolscine, which is a stereoisomer of yohimbine. One of those products is Alpha-T2. That is why I recommend Shift instead to people using SSRIs.
    ***PES Representative***
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  20. Senior Member
    Aleksandar37's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,820
    Rep Power
    1236078
    Level
    50
    Lv. Percent
    87.26%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by schroedes View Post
    i take 100mg zoloft a day, i know with the androseries products it can be a problem cause of the grapefruit content, what about the new alpha series from FRL?, uses berberine to inhibit cyp34a, think this would increase blood levels of the medication? would like to try the stuff
    I wouldn't use them together. I recommend asking your pharmacist though.
    ***PES Representative***
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  21. Advanced Member
    schroedes's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  221 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    555
    Rep Power
    5615
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    34%

    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandar37 View Post
    I wouldn't use them together. I recommend asking your pharmacist though.
    guys have said they used the androseries with ssri's with no problems, took the meds as far as possible from the supp, too bad a FRL rep couldnt chime in on this and the inhibition of the enzyme. ive also read that zoloft and a couple others arent strongly affected by the cyp34a enzyme anyways so maybe it wouldnt be a problem
    T2
  22. Senior Member
    lboston's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,249
    Rep Power
    27141
    Level
    27
    Lv. Percent
    86.13%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by allday54

    I have no depression whatsoever. It's for anxiety. Since I have been on my SSRI I have been taking preworkouts and haven't experienced any sides. The SSRI has worked extremely well for my anxiety. Right now I'am cycling off stimulant based pw's for a month.
    I take 10mgs of lexapro every day for anxiety and I've used several stimmed and non-stimmed preworkouts with no noticeable interferences with my medication. If there were some, I'm certain my lady would have pointed it out...
  23. New Member
    Mrpersinality's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Age
    33
    Posts
    365
    Rep Power
    3579
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    29.32%

    Quote Originally Posted by lboston

    I take 10mgs of lexapro every day for anxiety and I've used several stimmed and non-stimmed preworkouts with no noticeable interferences with my medication. If there were some, I'm certain my lady would have pointed it out...
    How is the Lexapro with labido? I got off of Zoloft (hell coming off of that ****) for anxiety but it's coming back big time so i was gonna see about Lexapro
  24. New Member
    allday54's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  160 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    180
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    10.01%

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrpersinality

    How is the Lexapro with labido? I got off of Zoloft (hell coming off of that ****) for anxiety but it's coming back big time sink was gonna see about Lexapro
    I've been on 20 Mg's of celexa and my libido is spot on.
  25. Senior Member
    Aleksandar37's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,820
    Rep Power
    1236078
    Level
    50
    Lv. Percent
    87.26%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by schroedes View Post
    guys have said they used the androseries with ssri's with no problems, took the meds as far as possible from the supp, too bad a FRL rep couldnt chime in on this and the inhibition of the enzyme. ive also read that zoloft and a couple others arent strongly affected by the cyp34a enzyme anyways so maybe it wouldnt be a problem
    There are some meds that are affected more than others. If you were taking something like Buspar, I would say don't mess with it, but you might be fine with the Zoloft. It's just at your own risk of course.
    ***PES Representative***
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  26. Senior Member
    Aleksandar37's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,820
    Rep Power
    1236078
    Level
    50
    Lv. Percent
    87.26%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by lboston View Post
    I take 10mgs of lexapro every day for anxiety and I've used several stimmed and non-stimmed preworkouts with no noticeable interferences with my medication. If there were some, I'm certain my lady would have pointed it out...
    10mg is a fairly low dose and pre-workouts for the most part are not going to directly conflict with the Lexapro. My point was that if you're taking it for anxiety, something like a stim which raises your heart rate may trigger a panic attack in some people, but not all. If you're fine though, then keep doing what you're doing
    ***PES Representative***
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  27. New Member
    allday54's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  160 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    180
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    10.01%

    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandar37

    There are some meds that are affected more than others. If you were taking something like Buspar, I would say don't mess with it, but you might be fine with the Zoloft. It's just at your own risk of course.
    I have heard ssri's lower test levels in some people?? Is this only in the higher doses like 30mg or 40mg. I'm taking 20mg and haven't experienced any noticeable test suppression.
  28. Senior Member
    Aleksandar37's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,820
    Rep Power
    1236078
    Level
    50
    Lv. Percent
    87.26%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by allday54 View Post
    I have heard ssri's lower test levels in some people?? Is this only in the higher doses like 30mg or 40mg. I'm taking 20mg and haven't experienced any noticeable test suppression.
    The research isn't very clear on a direct connection between the two. The topic does come up because SSRIs can cause sexual dysfunction, which can be an indirect measure of test levels, but not always. If you're not experiencing any issues with libido or erections, I wouldn't worry about it.
    ***PES Representative***
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. question using ssri and adding other supps.
    By spyder24 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-24-2010, 01:57 PM
  2. SSRI's and 5-HTP
    By andro69 in forum OTC Drug
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-24-2010, 09:27 AM
  3. SSRI
    By Stallion83 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-16-2009, 11:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in