Iodoral

wannabebig25

Awards
anybody ever take this?

im looking into it as i have all the signs and symptoms of hypothyroidism and/or iodine deficiency. had a 2nd thyroid panel run yesterday so im just waiting on the numbers to confirm my suspicions.

BBB

BBB

Awards
  • Established
My family and I have been taking Iodoral as a staple for years. The benefits are many fold.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
I have been a fan of the Tri-Iodine formula and Iodoral seems good. I used to adhere to all the warnings that say exceeding the FDA's RDA of iodine is harmful, but other people in different areas of the world take in thousands of times the iodine that we do.

BBB

BBB

Awards
  • Established
My family doctor actually put me and my entire family on Iodoral years ago. Dr. Brownstein has a web site that discuss the need of iodine in our diet.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
My family doctor actually put me and my entire family on Iodoral years ago. Dr. Brownstein has a web site that discuss the need of iodine in our diet.
Oh awesome. That's cool that you have a doctor that actually knows about the use of dietary supplements and whatnot as opposed to ones such as a psychiatrist that used to tell me that, "No supplements do anything." I could've argued with him, but it wouldn't do any good as he is so one-sided that it was rediculous. I can thank him for putting me on Cymbalta, having a withdrawal effect on par with what I went through discontinuing opiates. And I titrated!

icecold9487

Awards
i've tried iodoral before. i have a mixed opinion on it. i did feel sharper but i also felt very jittery, sweaty, anxious, had trouble sleeping, and would have periods of extreme fatigue. supporters of iodoral would say that this is a sign of bromide and choride detox but i'm not sure i buy into that. supposedly it can takes years for someone to complete the detox. although i do believe the rda is on the low side i think iodoral is way over dosed. now i try to stay cautious by taking a kelp supplement with about 500mg of iodine. it's also important to note that over consumption of iodine also leads to hypothyroidism. it's a balancing act.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
i've tried iodoral before. i have a mixed opinion on it. i did feel sharper but i also felt very jittery, sweaty, anxious, had trouble sleeping, and would have periods of extreme fatigue. supporters of iodoral would say that this is a sign of bromide and choride detox but i'm not sure i buy into that. supposedly it can takes years for someone to complete the detox. although i do believe the rda is on the low side i think iodoral is way over dosed. now i try to stay cautious by taking a kelp supplement with about 500mg of iodine. it's also important to note that over consumption of iodine also leads to hypothyroidism. it's a balancing act.
Sorry to hear that you had this issue. Are you sure that it's 500mg and not 500mcg?

wannabebig25

Awards
thanks for the info guys! please keep it coming.

wannabebig25

Awards
My family and I have been taking Iodoral as a staple for years. The benefits are many fold.
have any of you had any adverse reactions due to bromide detox?

wannabebig25

Awards
I have been a fan of the Tri-Iodine formula and Iodoral seems good. I used to adhere to all the warnings that say exceeding the FDA's RDA of iodine is harmful, but other people in different areas of the world take in thousands of times the iodine that we do.
yea i read that the japanese intake 13mg of iodine per day and have the lowest incidence of cancer

wannabebig25

Awards
im actually thinking of starting on a kelp supplement and working my way up in dosages until im ready to take iodoral. like 500mcg the first week, 1mg the next, 2mg the next, etc.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
yea i read that the japanese intake 13mg of iodine per day and have the lowest incidence of cancer
I haven't taken the 12.5mg dose that's in Tri-Iodine in a while and not sure how my body would handle it now though...

BBB

BBB

Awards
  • Established
have any of you had any adverse reactions due to bromide detox?
Iodoral is only 12.5 mg of two different kinds of iodine. You need both kinds for optimal health. We have not had any adverse reactions. Dr. Brownstein conducts seminars all over the country in an effort to educate doctors and health practitioners on the necessity of iodine in our diet. He is also treating women with breast cancer with nothing but high doses of Iodoral and having remarkable success. Every organ in the body has iodine receptors. Womens breasts and mens prostate are some the highest areas. Without adequate levels of iodine the body will accept things like bromine and chlorine in these receptors putting the body in a toxic state opening the door for a whole host of health issues. If your body is in a highly toxic state it would be possible to have adverse reaction to iodine.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Iodoral is good stuff. I will probably go back to using it after I use up my Strong Lugol's solution which is now pretty hard to get due to FDA meddling. The bromide/Chlorine/Flourine detox can be pretty pronounced. I noticed my urine would smell strongly like bromine/chlorine during the first week of dosing..it would stink up the bathroom. Kinda freaky,lol.

wannabebig25

Awards
Iodoral is only 12.5 mg of two different kinds of iodine. You need both kinds for optimal health. We have not had any adverse reactions. Dr. Brownstein conducts seminars all over the country in an effort to educate doctors and health practitioners on the necessity of iodine in our diet. He is also treating women with breast cancer with nothing but high doses of Iodoral and having remarkable success. Every organ in the body has iodine receptors. Womens breasts and mens prostate are some the highest areas. Without adequate levels of iodine the body will accept things like bromine and chlorine in these receptors putting the body in a toxic state opening the door for a whole host of health issues. If your body is in a highly toxic state it would be possible to have adverse reaction to iodine.
so then 12.5mg if a relatively safe dose according to what ive read from brownstein? up to 50mg may be necessary for full body iodine saturation of 1.5g.

wannabebig25

Awards
Iodoral is good stuff. I will probably go back to using it after I use up my Strong Lugol's solution which is now pretty hard to get due to FDA meddling. The bromide/Chlorine/Flourine detox can be pretty pronounced. I noticed my urine would smell strongly like bromine/chlorine during the first week of dosing..it would stink up the bathroom. Kinda freaky,lol.
Lugol's solution is available readily over the counter here in canada. yet they ban stuff like carnitine. silly canadians. i was going to get it but they were out of stock.

how much were you taking that you noticed the detox smell in your urine lol. i just popped my first 525mcg of iodine from kelp. im going to build up until i feel comfortable to take lugols or iodoral.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
You can still get a more dilute form of Lugol's here, but I've had trouble finding the "strong" solution. I think I was only taking about2-4mg when I noticed the detox smell.

wannabebig25

Awards
You can still get a more dilute form of Lugol's here, but I've had trouble finding the "strong" solution. I think I was only taking about2-4mg when I noticed the detox smell.
the one i was going to get was 12% "extra strength" solution. they were all out but theres another location that has it.

wannabebig25

Awards
maybe anybody in this thread can chime in. i take 525mcg of iodine from kelp and feel GREAT for 15-20 minutes then i feel worse than before. im wondering if my body is just burning through that low level of iodine so quick and then has nothing felt, leaving me feel like ****.

im debating going to the other location of my health food store and grabbing the lugols iodine and using that until i order iodoral.

wannabebig25

Awards
also just found out my city adds flouride and chlorine to our water supply. what the hell. directly from the governments website.

Chlorine is used to control bacteria, algae and viruses that can be found in the water. It's considered one of the most important tools to disinfect drinking water. It's actually been in use for more than 100 years and is responsible for ending disease epidemics that were widespread prior to its use. If extra chlorine is used (to ensure disinfection of the plant) before the water is pumped to your home, sulphur dioxide is added to reduce the chlorine to a residual level. Ammonia is then added to stabilize the residual.

Fluoride is added to treated water to reduce the risk of dental cavities. And in keeping with Health Canada Guidelines, our fluoride level maximizes dental health benefits and minimizes concerns about over exposure. Chlorine and fluoride are key ingredients to water quality and public health and safety.

i have a separate tap with a huge filter under the sink, but im not sure how much it filters out.

pressureSpike

Banned
Awards
anybody ever take this?

im looking into it as i have all the signs and symptoms of hypothyroidism and/or iodine deficiency. had a 2nd thyroid panel run yesterday so im just waiting on the numbers to confirm my suspicions.
Do u have a autoimmune disease? I read that iodine will worsen auto immune diseases and hypothyroidism and auto immune diseases go hand in hand. Be careful I have a bottle of iodoral but I'm hesitant to trying it

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
handle it how? side effects?
I didn't have any side effects that I was able to notice, but I just meant that some of the side effects that others speak of the abundance of iodine, I can't really tell for sure what it would do. I do plan on taking it again though.

wannabebig25

Awards
Do u have a autoimmune disease? I read that iodine will worsen auto immune diseases and hypothyroidism and auto immune diseases go hand in hand. Be careful I have a bottle of iodoral but I'm hesitant to trying it
no autoimmune disease here. although ive read literature that says it can reverse hashimotos and correct graves.

wannabebig25

Awards
I didn't have any side effects that I was able to notice, but I just meant that some of the side effects that others speak of the abundance of iodine, I can't really tell for sure what it would do. I do plan on taking it again though.
you mean the bromide detox symptoms? ive read that salt loading and lots of vitamin c minimizes any side effects. ive been taking both.

pressureSpike

Banned
Awards
no autoimmune disease here. although ive read literature that says it can reverse hashimotos and correct graves.
Can u link me to these literatures thanks my mom has RA and I been hesitant to tell her bout the iodoral cause of the negative stuff I read bout iodine and hasimotod

wannabebig25

Awards
Can u link me to these literatures thanks my mom has RA and I been hesitant to tell her bout the iodoral cause of the negative stuff I read bout iodine and hasimotod
http://perfecthealthdiet.com/?p=3621

On the other side, doctors such as Dr. Guy E. Abraham [9], Dr. David Brownstein [10], Jorge D. Flechas [11] and Dr. David Derry [12] have claimed success prescribing high doses of iodine for Hashimoto’s and for breast and thyroid cancers.

Excess iodine intake can cause an autoimmune thyroiditis that bears all the characteristics of Hashimoto’s. However, in animal studies this occurs only if selenium is deficient or in excess. Similarly, in animal studies very high iodine intake can exacerbate a pre-existing autoimmune thyroiditis, but only if selenium is deficient or in excess.
With optimal selenium status, thyroid follicles are healthy, goiter is eliminated, and autoimmune markers like Th1/Th2 ratio and CD4+/CD8+ ratio are normalized over a wide range of iodine intake. It seems that optimizing selenium intake provides powerful protection against autoimmune thyroid disease, and provides tolerance of a wide range of iodine intakes.

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/?p=3650

Iodine and selenium are two extremely important minerals for human health, and are righly emphasized as such in the Perfect Health Diet book and blog. I believe they are fundamental to thyroid health and very important to Hashimoto’s patients.
A survey of the literature suggests that Hashimoto’s is largely unaffected by iodine intake. However, the literature may be distorted by three circumstances under which iodine increases may harm, and iodine restriction help, Hashimoto’s patients:
  1. Selenium deficiency causes an intolerance of high iodine.
  2. Iodine intake via seaweed is accompanied by thyrotoxic metals and halides.
  3. Sudden increases in iodine can induce a reactive hypothyroidism.
All three of these negatives can be avoided by supplementing selenium along with iodine, using potassium iodide rather than seaweed as the source of iodine, and increasing iodine intake gradually.
It’s plausible that if iodine were supplemented in this way, then Hashimoto’s patients would experience benefits with little risk of harm. Anecdotally, a number have reported benefits from supplemental iodine.
Other evidence emphasizes the need for balance between iodine and selenium. Just as iodine without selenium can cause hypothyroidism, so too can selenium without iodine. Both are needed for good health.

http://jeffreydach.com/2011/09/14/iodine_hashimotos.aspx

http://www.mnwelldir.org/docs/nutrition/brownstein.htm

The commonly accepted medical opinion is that iodine’s only role in the body is to help make thyroid hormones. Although this is an extremely important function, Abraham demonstrates that the role of iodine in the body goes far beyond its function of making thyroid hormones. Other possible functions include: helping to regulate moods, preventing cancer (especially in breasts, ovaries, uterus, prostate and thyroid gland), preventing and treating fibrocystic breasts in women, helping to regulate blood pressure, helping to regulate blood sugar and prevent and treat diabetes, and helping to prevent abnormal cardiac rhythms. For example, Japanese women, who have one of the lowest breast cancer rates in the world, ingest more than 13 mg of iodine daily from seaweed without suffering any adverse consequences. He further demonstrates that iodine tends to be antibacterial, antiviral, antiparasitic, and antifungal and that it enhances immune function. Furthermore, he suggests that suboptimal iodine intake may contribute to various thyroid abnormalities commonly seen today, including hypothyroidism (underactive), hyperthyroidism (overactive) and autoimmune inflammation of the thyroid (Hashimoto’s Disease).

http://www.naturalendocrinesolutions.com/archives/an-interview-with-dr-david-brownstein-on-iodine-and-thyroid-health/

Dr. Eric: There seems to be a great deal of controversy as to whether people with Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis should supplement with iodine, even if they have a deficiency. I admittedly have been guilty of this as well, as I always was taught that people with Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis should avoid iodine because it will worsen their condition. When I attended your seminar you told the audience you usually have had no problems giving your patients who have Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis iodine supplementation. Can you please elaborate on this?

Dr. Brownstein: Animal studies show that you cannot cause Hashimoto’s disease in an animal unless they are iodine deficient and they are given a goitrogen. That is what is happening to our human population; we are iodine deficient and we are exposed to an ever-increasing amount of goitrogens like bromide and fluoride.

Dr. Eric: If it’s fine for people with Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis to take iodine, then why do some people feel bad when supplementing with iodine?

Dr. Brownstein: Iodine can cause a detoxification reaction whereby the body releases bromide. I believe this is where many of the adverse effects are coming from. I explain this in my books. My experience has clearly shown that vast majority of patients with autoimmune thyroid disorders improve with iodine when it is used as part of a holistic treatment regimen.

Do some react negatively to iodine? Yes. Iodine is not for everyone, but, my clinical experience has clearly shown adverse effects to iodine are rare when it is used appropriately.

pressureSpike

Banned
Awards
So with someone who has Hasimoto's

they should supplement with this protocol?

"In order to prevent the thyroid storm and other adverse effects from iodine in Hashimoto's patients, as you know, these patients must be supplemented with selenium first. This is why we first routinely draw a serum selenium, and for those cases below 135 ng/ml, we give 200-400 meg of selenomethionune for three weeks before starting the iodine supplementation at 6.25 mg (half the 12.5 mg tab) every other day.

Starting with a lower dose of iodine avoids the various adverse effects of skin itching and metallic taste and GI symptoms that can be reported at first. These are usually transient, and after a week or so, the dose can be safely increased to a full tablet daily."

200-400selenium for 3 weeks before supplementing with Iodine. after 3 weeks add in half a tab of Iodoral every other day?

wannabebig25

Awards
So with someone who has Hasimoto's

they should supplement with this protocol?

"In order to prevent the thyroid storm and other adverse effects from iodine in Hashimoto's patients, as you know, these patients must be supplemented with selenium first. This is why we first routinely draw a serum selenium, and for those cases below 135 ng/ml, we give 200-400 meg of selenomethionune for three weeks before starting the iodine supplementation at 6.25 mg (half the 12.5 mg tab) every other day.

Starting with a lower dose of iodine avoids the various adverse effects of skin itching and metallic taste and GI symptoms that can be reported at first. These are usually transient, and after a week or so, the dose can be safely increased to a full tablet daily."

200-400selenium for 3 weeks before supplementing with Iodine. after 3 weeks add in half a tab of Iodoral every other day?
from my research thats what i have read, but i am not a doctor. the last thing i want is to give out medical advice on the internet lol. i encourage you to read up on hashimotos and iodine though. mainly dr guy abraham and dr david brownstein. if anything, start slow and watch for adverse effects. its best to work with your medical doctor on issues like this.

pressureSpike

Banned
Awards
from my research thats what i have read, but i am not a doctor. the last thing i want is to give out medical advice on the internet lol. i encourage you to read up on hashimotos and iodine though. mainly dr guy abraham and dr david brownstein. if anything, start slow and watch for adverse effects. its best to work with your medical doctor on issues like this.
nah i understand haha, i was just making sure im reading the same thing you've ran across. thanks again

wannabebig25

Awards
just an update. worked my way up to 4mg of iodine from kelp tablets. body temperature increasing daily. ordered 12.5mg iodoral. should be here within a few days. i plan on working up to 6mg iodine from kelp by the time the iodoral gets here.

J19891

J19891

Awards
Oh awesome. That's cool that you have a doctor that actually knows about the use of dietary supplements and whatnot as opposed to ones such as a psychiatrist that used to tell me that, "No supplements do anything." I could've argued with him, but it wouldn't do any good as he is so one-sided that it was rediculous. I can thank him for putting me on Cymbalta, having a withdrawal effect on par with what I went through discontinuing opiates. And I titrated!
It's astounding how ignorant people with medical degrees can actually be at times. Few of them seem to be abreast of current research in their feilds.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
It's astounding how ignorant people with medical degrees can actually be at times. Few of them seem to be abreast of current research in their feilds.
Right on. Surprisingly a few years back I ran into my pediatrician (musta been 82+ years old) and asked him a question about protein powder safety and to my surprise, he asked me if I was taking whey concentrate, hydrolyzed whey fractions, or isolate. I gave him some real reputation points just for knowing that there're different forms of whey protein, which many doctors I've talked to don't even know that.

Also, when I mentioned that I didn't know how the high iodine dosage would effect me at this point, I was referring to the fact that my brain has undergone a lot of changes over the years from trying different meds, illicit substances (unfortunately), and some supplements that made some new issues arise that I haven't had before. One such example would be a decreased seizure threshold. It never bothered me back when I took it and I remained quite functional with it, but I am very wary of using certain things now at this point.

BBB

BBB

Awards
  • Established
12.5 mg is an arbitrary number. It is based on the average intake of people in the orient who eat a lot of kelp in their diet. These people seldom develop any form of cancer. It is believed that their iodine intake is primarily responsible.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
digitalducki Supplements 12
Male Anti-Aging Medicine 0