Liver and kidney damage due to supplements?

loydy

Awards
I am a 23 year old male and have recently started taking a few supplements, I have been bodybuilding for around 18 months. Some of the supplements I take range from:
Jacked, protein, animal stak, GABA, bcaa pills, glutamin, creatine and recently started universal natural sterol pills.
I also take some milk thistle and multi vitamins to try and support my liver ect. And about 5 liters of water a day.
My question is could these items be doing irraversable damage to my liver or kidneys?

UncleWade

UncleWade

Awards
  • Established
It is highly unlikely that any of these substances would do irreversible damage to your liver or kidneys.

Some of the supplements you take are less-than-desirable from a cost:effect perspective (Jack3d, glutamine, sterol pills, et cetera) but from a health standpoint they should not hurt you. The most concerning things for liver/kidney health are typically anabolic compounds such as PH/AAS.

While you shouldn't have a concern about kidney/liver damage unless you have a pre-existing medical condition, should you decide that the general health benefits of liver support supplements are worth it, SNS makes Liver Assist XT which has a healthy dose of NAC - a compound great for many general health benefits and one of my favorites for health support - that might fit your needs.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
first off your liver can heal itself unless it basically stops working. second, those supplements wont harm you. i like to take breaks from all supps tho

loydy

Awards
Oh ok, thanks, so even taking three scoops of jacked and the sterol pills and animal stak in a day should be ok?
Also what would you recommend to replace thease items for a more effective?

ForAnAngel

Awards
Jack3d isn't great stuff for your body. Can cause blood pressure issues, arrhythmia, and in large quantities can make you dependent. It's a subpar pre workout to begin with. Sometimes people feel strung out or "uppidity" on it. If your concerned with what you're taking in, I'd consider finding a new pre workout. Many people have great advice in these forums about them.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
More water= healthier kidneys. Supplements like agmatine and arginine have also proved healthy for the kidneys. Everything in moderation man, pick some staple supplements and stick to those. Contrary to what people may say you dont need a bajillion supplements.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
More water= healthier kidneys. Supplements like agmatine and arginine have also proved healthy for the kidneys. Everything in moderation man, pick some staple supplements and stick to those. Contrary to what people may say you dont need a bajillion supplements.
Not always true because fluid volume overload can be renal toxic just like hypovolemia.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not always true because fluid volume overload can be renal toxic just like hypovolemia.
That would be an obnoxious amount of water though. Like the woman who died from drinking too much water to win the nintendo wii

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
it just depends on what condition his kidneys/body are in. if hes holding water as it is then taking an excess, that isnt good, but in most cases, for being on creatine or being healthy, a gallon/day is good at least for me it is