How to Construct a Basic Supplement Stack

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
From my post on another board...

I thought I'd lay out a basic supplement stack for anyone who is interested.

Vitamins and Minerals

There are two main approaches to supplementing your vitamin and mineral needs.

1. Multivitamin

Pros:
-Multivitamins are great because they conveniently include every vitamin and mineral that your body may need on a daily basis
-Multivitamins are essentially a cheap insurance policy to ensure that deficiencies do not occur.

Cons:
-Multivitamins, due to their large composition of ingredients, are pharmacokinetically challenged. When taken with food, the increased gastric motility may reduce overall micronutrient absorption. On the flip side, if taken without food, fat-soluble vitamins may suffer lesser absorption.
-Most multivitamins do not account for interactions and uptake overlap between the various constituents of the formula.

How to purchase a multivitamin:

You want to purchase a multivitamin that uses superior vitamin forms and chelated minerals while circumventing the "cons" listed above.

Good Choices:

-AOR Orthocore
-Orange Triad
-Source Naturals Life Force Multiple

2. ACES

Pros:
-Doesn't have the "cons" associated with multivitamins

Cons:
-Expensive and inconvenient

How to purchase ACES:

Let me start by elucidating what ACES is: Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, and Selenium. On top of ACES, you will also want vitamin D, a b-complex, and a mineral complex.

Good Choices:

Vitamin A - Solaray Food Carotene 10,000IU
Vitamin C- Ester-C or Generic Ascorbic Acid - 500mg
Vitamin E- Toco-8 or MRM Complete-E
Selenium- 100mcg of seleniomethionine (don't exceed 200mcg daily)
Vitamin D- Generic Brand 5000 IU D3 in fall/winter, 2000 IU in spring/summer
B-Complex - AOR B-Complex or Jarrow B-Right
Mineral Complex - NOW Minerals

Some may prefer to dose the water-soluble vitamins multiple times a day (B and C). Personally, I would take a B-Complex 1-3 times a day and vitamin C 1-2 times a day, away from training sessions.

Fish Oil

Pros:
-If the diet is deficient in Omega-3s from fish, fish oil supplementation is a great idea. The benefits are profound: reduced inflammation, increased protein synthesis in the elderly, fatty acid balance, optimized brain function, reduced blood pressure, and transiently increased energy expenditure following meals.

Cons:
-None if dosed responsibly.

How to pick a fish oil:

You ideally want a fish oil with high epa/dha content. Plasma saturation of epa/dha occurs at 3g total daily, which is what you should be aiming for.

Good choices:

Controlled Labs Orange Oximega Fish Oil
NOW Ultra Omega-3
Nordic Naturals
SAN Triple Fish Fats

Creatine

Pros:

-The primary benefit is increased anaerobic capacity. This means you will shift more weight for more reps in the 1-15 rep range.
-Others: brain function, immune support, improved glucose tolerance, improved bone health, enhanced muscular hydration and volumization.

Cons:
-None if used in healthy individuals and dosed correctly.

How to pick a creatine:

Simple: pick creatine monohydrate. Dose at 5g every day for the first month, and then 3-5g on workout days only thereafter. Certain individuals may respond better to Magnesium Creatine Chelate as far as GI issues are concerned. For particular forms of creatine, I'll answer what I can in this thread.

Good Choices:

SNS Creatine Monohydrate
Allmax Micronized Creatine
ON Micronized Creatine

Beta-Alanine

Pros:
-Increased muscle carnosine translates into increased muscular endurance and performance. Complements creatine quite well.
-A variety of benefits are associated with increased carnosine, such as greater longevity and reduced soreness following exercise.

Cons:
-Some users may experience parathesia, a tingling sensation, if too much beta-alanine is taken at once.

How to choose a beta-alanine product:

Beta-alanine is best used by dosing multiple times a day in small doses. It should be used every day at 3.2-6.4g daily, for months on end. A good beta-alanine product will simply meet label claims, though I prefer capsules because it makes the "multiple-times-a-day" dosing far more convenient.

Good choices:

SNS Beta-alanine Caps
AEN IntraXCell
Gaspari Anavite at 6 tabs/day

So there you have 4 basic supplements for any user who is seeking to optimize performance and overall health. I will expand on this list in the future, but this is simply the "base" from which you can build up.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
ive been debating on using aces vs now adam, which ive been using currently...

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
ive been debating on using aces vs now adam, which ive been using currently...
There's a reason I didn't recommend ADAM and it's because it [supposedly] failed consumer report dissociation tests. I don't know if the issue has been amended since then.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
where would green supreme fusion and oxigreens come into play as far as vit's and min's

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If I may add.. Avoid eating high phytic acid foods (grains) around the time you supplement with minerals

Also, 3g fish oil is pushing it IMO. I wouldn't exceed 360/440 EPA/DHA. Also one should try and get a fish oil low in EPA, as it is plausible that high EPA can have a negative effect on ones HPA

Lastly, curcumin is a top 5 supplement for me and I would add it to this list

PrepNwa23

PrepNwa23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No love for MuscleFeast? They have really good deals on BA and Creatine usually.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
If I may add.. Avoid eating high phytic scid food (grains) when supplementing with minerals

Also, 3g fish oil is pushing it IMO. I wouldn't exceed 360/440 EPA/DHA. Also one should try and get a fish oil low in EPA, as it is plausible that high EPA can have a negative effect on ones HPA

Lastly, curcumin is a top 5 supplement for me and I would add it to this list
Agreed with comment 1.

Why is 3g epa/dha pushing it? The studies done showing negative effects of fish oil supplementation used a higher dose. Unless you're eating fatty fish, I don't see much merit in consuming only 800mg daily. The EPA speculation is also overblown; I can find flaws with DHA too. They're both essential, and you want to dose them right.

Curcumin has extremely poor bioavailability, even if heat-treated/administered with piperine to inhibit the
CYP3A4 enzyme/etc...It is a great anti-cancer agent in the gut, but that's as far as it goes. The issue lies with its solubility and ability to reach tissues of the body (outside of the GI tract). If you are absolutely mega-dosing curcumin (which I would never do as a staple due to cost), then it may be worthwhile.

To quote madchemist, who actually schooled me in this earlier:

"Curcumin is heavily restricted by its poor solubility and rapid metabolism. In humans taking between 9 and 12 grams of curcumin, the highest plasma concentration observed was 1.8 micromol/ml (anything below 3.8-4 grams is completely undetectable). The en vitro studies which demonstrate an anti-cancer and anti-alzheimers effect use between 5-50 micromol/ml and submit the cell lines to curcumin for hours on end (quite unrealistic)."

MrMarc

MrMarc

Awards
pretty good layout, for multivitamin I use a powder form since it better.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Agreed with comment 1.

Why is 3g epa/dha pushing it? The studies done showing negative effects of fish oil supplementation used a higher dose. Unless you're eating fatty fish, I don't see much merit in consuming only 800mg daily. The EPA speculation is also overblown; I can find flaws with DHA too. They're both essential, and you want to dose them right.

Curcumin has extremely poor bioavailability, even if heat-treated/administered with piperine to inhibit the
CYP3A4 enzyme/etc...It is a great anti-cancer agent in the gut, but that's as far as it goes. The issue lies with its solubility and ability to reach tissues of the body (outside of the GI tract). If you are absolutely mega-dosing curcumin (which I would never do as a staple due to cost), then it may be worthwhile.

To quote madchemist, who actually schooled me in this earlier:

"Curcumin is heavily restricted by its poor solubility and rapid metabolism. In humans taking between 9 and 12 grams of curcumin, the highest plasma concentration observed was 1.8 micromol/ml (anything below 3.8-4 grams is completely undetectable). The en vitro studies which demonstrate an anti-cancer and anti-alzheimers effect use between 5-50 micromol/ml and submit the cell lines to curcumin for hours on end (quite unrealistic)."
As for EPA, the amount I posted was only my opinion. I can cite references for why I believe this but dont want to derail the thread too much. Overall nothing is really too conclusive but it is pretty clear there is a relationship between EPA/DHA supplementation and the HPA

As for curcumin, admittedly the majority of studies are either in vitro or in rats with only a handful of human studies but in my opinion curcumin still shows a great deal of potential. As far as its effects on cancer, yes that is one of the benefits but there is also evidence on its effects on numerous physiological systems with very little evidence pointing to side effects. Again I can cite references but dont wish to derail the thread, only expressing my opinion.

Now I do agree that curcumin's bioavailability is quite low, but large doses may circumvent any problems with absorption and yes piperine has been shown to also increase absorption. Lastly, it has also available encapsulated in lipid solvents (LEF) which would also possibly improve absorption.

Again, these are only my opinions and I only wanted to add to your thread, not challenge or debate you.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
As for EPA, the amount I posted was only my opinion. I can cite references for why I believe this but dont want to derail the thread too much. Overall nothing is really too conclusive but it is pretty clear there is a relationship between EPA/DHA supplementation and the HPA

As for curcumin, admittedly the majority of studies are either in vitro or in rats with only a handful of human studies but in my opinion curcumin still shows a great deal of potential. As far as its effects on cancer, yes that is one of the benefits but there is also evidence on its effects on numerous physiological systems with very little evidence pointing to side effects. Again I can cite references but dont wish to derail the thread, only expressing my opinion.

Now I do agree that curcumin's bioavailability is quite low, but large doses may circumvent any problems with absorption and yes piperine has been shown to also increase absorption. Lastly, it has also available encapsulated in lipid solvents (LEF) which would also possibly improve absorption.

Again, these are only my opinions and I only wanted to add to your thread, not challenge or debate you.
Nor I, you. I'm always up for discussion and I won't hesitate to amend my viewpoint if enough evidence is presented in favor of an opposing one. In fact, I was once 100% with you on curcumin but after doing more and more research, I had to change my stance. We can certainly add to this list of 4 basic supplements, and I welcome you to add your own "ingredient, pros, cons, dosing summary, good product options" if you so desire.

Jonbero

Jonbero

Awards
I love my ACLAR. I just feel better when on it. Its a staple for me.

BPjohn123

BPjohn123

Awards
Great thread my friend

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
We can certainly add to this list of 4 basic supplements, and I welcome you to add your own "ingredient, pros, cons, dosing summary, good product options" if you so desire.
I will just post PMIDs instead of quoting abstracts

Curcumin:

Pros-

Cancer
- PMID: 20145189, PMID: 20127174, PMID: 16584595, PMID: 19898931, PMID: 20032896, PMID: 20044614, PMID: 20332461, PMID: 20305684, PMID: 20358476, PMID: 20387230, PMID: 20363232, PMID: 20360934, PMID: 20077433, PMID: 19901561, PMID: 20373902, PMID: 20393484, PMiD: 20057137, PMID: 20360934

Anti-ROS, Injury, Inflammation, and Inflammation-related Disease - PMID: 19917353, PMID: 20018302, PMID: 20132469, PMID: 20227282, PMID: 16364299, PMID: 20056736, PMID: 20125031, PMID: 20180411, PMID: 20214332, PMID: 19878610, PMID: 20188213, PMID: 19932168, PMID: 20056776, PMID: 20112103, PMID: 20025056, PMID: 20026275, PMID: 20229497, PMID: 20080166, PMID: 16387899, PMID: 19919835, PMID: 20026325

Stress and Depression - PMID: 19653644, PMID: 18406348, PMID: 17617388, PMID: 17846884, PMID: 17846884, PMID: 17942093, PMID: 18766332, PMID: 17022948, PMID: 19879308

Insulin, Skeletal Muscle, Fat, and Metabolism - PMID: 20227862, PMID: 20395228, PMID: 20357182, PMID:19093868, PMID: 10444409, PMID: 20205235, PMID: 20222050

Cons:
Poor bioavailability

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
From my post on another board...

I thought I'd lay out a basic supplement stack for anyone who is interested.

So there you have 4 basic supplements for any user who is seeking to optimize performance and overall health. I will expand on this list in the future, but this is simply the "base" from which you can build up.
WHAT No Superdrol:lol:

Jonbero

Jonbero

Awards
WHAT No Superdrol:lol:
Wow... OP is pretty ignorant huh???

Superdrol is one of the best overall health supplements out there IMO

Jonbero

Jonbero

Awards
schizm

schizm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Def great work here Coop! In before it's the AM-e-letter featured thread of the week :)

koi1214

koi1214

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Mr. Cooper,

What are your thoughts on water soluble Vitamin B formulas vs. Coenzyme B formula?I currently do use B-Right.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Mr. Cooper,

What are your thoughts on water soluble Vitamin B formulas vs. Coenzyme B formula?I currently do use B-Right.
Hmm I'm assuming you're asking if you should get a co-enzymated form? While it's preferable, def not necessary, and I don't use one.

antihero

antihero

Awards
  • Established
Hmm I'm assuming you're asking if you should get a co-enzymated form? While it's preferable, def not necessary, and I don't use one.
Dear mr. Cooper

I see you have not included black liver. What do?

koi1214

koi1214

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What I was asking is if you think there is really a difference between the two.I know the coenzmye form is better absorbed with food but I really don't think one would notice a big difference.

madchemist

Banned
Awards

There is a plethora of human clinical trails with curcumin. "Absorption" is an insignificant variable in its irrelevancy.

Read the bottom of this post a few more times and maybe it will sink in (or stick around and be schooled):
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplements/198135-how-construct-basic.html#post3318263

LiveToLift

LiveToLift

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Very good thread bro!

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Great stuff, going to give some input later.

PrepNwa23

PrepNwa23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Great thread here if anyone is looking to start out this is where they should start out. I think AOR puts out the best multivitamin with Controlled Labs coming in a close second. Lately I switched to Genomyx Krill Oil from using Nutraplanets bulk.

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Great thread here if anyone is looking to start out this is where they should start out. I think AOR puts out the best multivitamin with Controlled Labs coming in a close second. Lately I switched to Genomyx Krill Oil from using Nutraplanets bulk.
You find Krill better than plain old Fish Oil??

antihero

antihero

Awards
  • Established
You find Krill better than plain old Fish Oil??
Absolutely. I still have some old krillipid laying around, but my supply is down to only a couple bottles. I bought 2 dozen for me and family when I new RPN wasnt gonna be making it anymore.

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Absolutely. I still have some old krillipid laying around, but my supply is down to only a couple bottles. I bought 2 dozen for me and family when I new RPN wasnt gonna be making it anymore.
In what way is it better than regular Fish Oil??

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just curious because I've been taking fish oil for years now.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
They are VERY different. Fish oil carries the benefits of epa/dha; krill oil has other benefits associated with astaxanthin and the like.

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
They are VERY different. Fish oil carries the benefits of epa/dha; krill oil has other benefits associated with astaxanthin and the like.
So would a combination of the 2 be worthwhile??

Jonbero

Jonbero

Awards
Dear Mr. Cooper

I see you have not included Superdrol on your list

Please explain

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
So would a combination of the 2 be worthwhile??
Yes, there is certainly merit in using both. I will be adding to this list shortly. I'd add Krill Oil but it wouldn't be on my next "tier" of staple supplements.

antihero

antihero

Awards
  • Established
Jonbero

Jonbero

Awards
vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I also think you should've added M1T.. But nobody's perfect.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I haven't used a bvit complex in a while. You say 3 times per day you take it? What is the dose per meal? something like a B50?
Jarrow B-Right is what I use when I'm not using Orange Triad. A quality, built-in B-vitamin complex in a multi (like OT) negates the need for further B-complex dosing.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
Jarrow B-Right is what I use when I'm not using Orange Triad. A quality, built-in B-vitamin complex in a multi (like OT) negates the need for further B-complex dosing.
The Jarrow product looks solid I'll pick that up. I have been looking to dose all my vitamins individually like this for a while, I just ran out of my multi last week so this is the best time to give it a go. People start to look at you weird when you pill out a bag with 30 pills in it at a restaurant, though o_O.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
The next one on my list will be carnitine salts, specifically ALCAR.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
How much epa/dha would the 3gs your recommended for fish oil come out to? I use a liquid product and per 1.5g it has 800mg epa/500mg dha, carlson brand.