Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.38%
    Achievements Posting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Post How to Construct a Basic Supplement Stack

From my post on another board...

I thought I'd lay out a basic supplement stack for anyone who is interested.

Vitamins and Minerals

There are two main approaches to supplementing your vitamin and mineral needs.

1. Multivitamin

Pros:
    -Multivitamins are great because they conveniently include every vitamin and mineral that your body may need on a daily basis
    -Multivitamins are essentially a cheap insurance policy to ensure that deficiencies do not occur.

Cons:
    -Multivitamins, due to their large composition of ingredients, are pharmacokinetically challenged. When taken with food, the increased gastric motility may reduce overall micronutrient absorption. On the flip side, if taken without food, fat-soluble vitamins may suffer lesser absorption.
    -Most multivitamins do not account for interactions and uptake overlap between the various constituents of the formula.

How to purchase a multivitamin:

You want to purchase a multivitamin that uses superior vitamin forms and chelated minerals while circumventing the "cons" listed above.

Good Choices:

-AOR Orthocore
    -Orange Triad
    -Source Naturals Life Force Multiple

2. ACES

Pros:
    -Doesn't have the "cons" associated with multivitamins

Cons:
    -Expensive and inconvenient

How to purchase ACES:

Let me start by elucidating what ACES is: Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, and Selenium. On top of ACES, you will also want vitamin D, a b-complex, and a mineral complex.

Good Choices:

Vitamin A - Solaray Food Carotene 10,000IU
    Vitamin C- Ester-C or Generic Ascorbic Acid - 500mg
    Vitamin E- Toco-8 or MRM Complete-E
    Selenium- 100mcg of seleniomethionine (don't exceed 200mcg daily)
    Vitamin D- Generic Brand 5000 IU D3 in fall/winter, 2000 IU in spring/summer
    B-Complex - AOR B-Complex or Jarrow B-Right
    Mineral Complex - NOW Minerals

Some may prefer to dose the water-soluble vitamins multiple times a day (B and C). Personally, I would take a B-Complex 1-3 times a day and vitamin C 1-2 times a day, away from training sessions.

Fish Oil

Pros:
    -If the diet is deficient in Omega-3s from fish, fish oil supplementation is a great idea. The benefits are profound: reduced inflammation, increased protein synthesis in the elderly, fatty acid balance, optimized brain function, reduced blood pressure, and transiently increased energy expenditure following meals.

Cons:
    -None if dosed responsibly.

How to pick a fish oil:

You ideally want a fish oil with high epa/dha content. Plasma saturation of epa/dha occurs at 3g total daily, which is what you should be aiming for.

Good choices:

Controlled Labs Orange Oximega Fish Oil
    NOW Ultra Omega-3
    Nordic Naturals
    SAN Triple Fish Fats

Creatine

Pros:

-The primary benefit is increased anaerobic capacity. This means you will shift more weight for more reps in the 1-15 rep range.
    -Others: brain function, immune support, improved glucose tolerance, improved bone health, enhanced muscular hydration and volumization.

Cons:
    -None if used in healthy individuals and dosed correctly.

How to pick a creatine:

Simple: pick creatine monohydrate. Dose at 5g every day for the first month, and then 3-5g on workout days only thereafter. Certain individuals may respond better to Magnesium Creatine Chelate as far as GI issues are concerned. For particular forms of creatine, I'll answer what I can in this thread.

Good Choices:

SNS Creatine Monohydrate
    Allmax Micronized Creatine
    ON Micronized Creatine

Beta-Alanine

Pros:
    -Increased muscle carnosine translates into increased muscular endurance and performance. Complements creatine quite well.
    -A variety of benefits are associated with increased carnosine, such as greater longevity and reduced soreness following exercise.

Cons:
    -Some users may experience parathesia, a tingling sensation, if too much beta-alanine is taken at once.

How to choose a beta-alanine product:

Beta-alanine is best used by dosing multiple times a day in small doses. It should be used every day at 3.2-6.4g daily, for months on end. A good beta-alanine product will simply meet label claims, though I prefer capsules because it makes the "multiple-times-a-day" dosing far more convenient.

Good choices:

SNS Beta-alanine Caps
    AEN IntraXCell
    Gaspari Anavite at 6 tabs/day

So there you have 4 basic supplements for any user who is seeking to optimize performance and overall health. I will expand on this list in the future, but this is simply the "base" from which you can build up.

2. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.49%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

ive been debating on using aces vs now adam, which ive been using currently...
    LG Sciences forum representative
    www.lgsciences.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/249846-lg-sciences-would.html
  3. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.38%

Quote Originally Posted by hvactech View Post
    ive been debating on using aces vs now adam, which ive been using currently...
    There's a reason I didn't recommend ADAM and it's because it [supposedly] failed consumer report dissociation tests. I don't know if the issue has been amended since then.
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.49%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

where would green supreme fusion and oxigreens come into play as far as vit's and min's
    LG Sciences forum representative
    www.lgsciences.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/249846-lg-sciences-would.html
  5. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.49%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

If I may add.. Avoid eating high phytic acid foods (grains) around the time you supplement with minerals

Also, 3g fish oil is pushing it IMO. I wouldn't exceed 360/440 EPA/DHA. Also one should try and get a fish oil low in EPA, as it is plausible that high EPA can have a negative effect on ones HPA

Lastly, curcumin is a top 5 supplement for me and I would add it to this list
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  6. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  174 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.48%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

No love for MuscleFeast? They have really good deals on BA and Creatine usually.
  7. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.38%

Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    If I may add.. Avoid eating high phytic scid food (grains) when supplementing with minerals

Also, 3g fish oil is pushing it IMO. I wouldn't exceed 360/440 EPA/DHA. Also one should try and get a fish oil low in EPA, as it is plausible that high EPA can have a negative effect on ones HPA

Lastly, curcumin is a top 5 supplement for me and I would add it to this list
    Agreed with comment 1.

Why is 3g epa/dha pushing it? The studies done showing negative effects of fish oil supplementation used a higher dose. Unless you're eating fatty fish, I don't see much merit in consuming only 800mg daily. The EPA speculation is also overblown; I can find flaws with DHA too. They're both essential, and you want to dose them right.

Curcumin has extremely poor bioavailability, even if heat-treated/administered with piperine to inhibit the
    CYP3A4 enzyme/etc...It is a great anti-cancer agent in the gut, but that's as far as it goes. The issue lies with its solubility and ability to reach tissues of the body (outside of the GI tract). If you are absolutely mega-dosing curcumin (which I would never do as a staple due to cost), then it may be worthwhile.

To quote madchemist, who actually schooled me in this earlier:

"Curcumin is heavily restricted by its poor solubility and rapid metabolism. In humans taking between 9 and 12 grams of curcumin, the highest plasma concentration observed was 1.8 micromol/ml (anything below 3.8-4 grams is completely undetectable). The en vitro studies which demonstrate an anti-cancer and anti-alzheimers effect use between 5-50 micromol/ml and submit the cell lines to curcumin for hours on end (quite unrealistic)."
  8. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.38%

Quote Originally Posted by PrepNwa23 View Post
    No love for MuscleFeast? They have really good deals on BA and Creatine usually.
    Those are only recommendations. I didn't say they're all-inclusive
  9. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.99%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

pretty good layout, for multivitamin I use a powder form since it better.
  10. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.49%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    Agreed with comment 1.

Why is 3g epa/dha pushing it? The studies done showing negative effects of fish oil supplementation used a higher dose. Unless you're eating fatty fish, I don't see much merit in consuming only 800mg daily. The EPA speculation is also overblown; I can find flaws with DHA too. They're both essential, and you want to dose them right.

Curcumin has extremely poor bioavailability, even if heat-treated/administered with piperine to inhibit the
    CYP3A4 enzyme/etc...It is a great anti-cancer agent in the gut, but that's as far as it goes. The issue lies with its solubility and ability to reach tissues of the body (outside of the GI tract). If you are absolutely mega-dosing curcumin (which I would never do as a staple due to cost), then it may be worthwhile.

To quote madchemist, who actually schooled me in this earlier:

"Curcumin is heavily restricted by its poor solubility and rapid metabolism. In humans taking between 9 and 12 grams of curcumin, the highest plasma concentration observed was 1.8 micromol/ml (anything below 3.8-4 grams is completely undetectable). The en vitro studies which demonstrate an anti-cancer and anti-alzheimers effect use between 5-50 micromol/ml and submit the cell lines to curcumin for hours on end (quite unrealistic)."
    As for EPA, the amount I posted was only my opinion. I can cite references for why I believe this but dont want to derail the thread too much. Overall nothing is really too conclusive but it is pretty clear there is a relationship between EPA/DHA supplementation and the HPA

As for curcumin, admittedly the majority of studies are either in vitro or in rats with only a handful of human studies but in my opinion curcumin still shows a great deal of potential. As far as its effects on cancer, yes that is one of the benefits but there is also evidence on its effects on numerous physiological systems with very little evidence pointing to side effects. Again I can cite references but dont wish to derail the thread, only expressing my opinion.

Now I do agree that curcumin's bioavailability is quite low, but large doses may circumvent any problems with absorption and yes piperine has been shown to also increase absorption. Lastly, it has also available encapsulated in lipid solvents (LEF) which would also possibly improve absorption.

Again, these are only my opinions and I only wanted to add to your thread, not challenge or debate you.
  11. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.38%

As for EPA, the amount I posted was only my opinion. I can cite references for why I believe this but dont want to derail the thread too much. Overall nothing is really too conclusive but it is pretty clear there is a relationship between EPA/DHA supplementation and the HPA

As for curcumin, admittedly the majority of studies are either in vitro or in rats with only a handful of human studies but in my opinion curcumin still shows a great deal of potential. As far as its effects on cancer, yes that is one of the benefits but there is also evidence on its effects on numerous physiological systems with very little evidence pointing to side effects. Again I can cite references but dont wish to derail the thread, only expressing my opinion.

Now I do agree that curcumin's bioavailability is quite low, but large doses may circumvent any problems with absorption and yes piperine has been shown to also increase absorption. Lastly, it has also available encapsulated in lipid solvents (LEF) which would also possibly improve absorption.

Again, these are only my opinions and I only wanted to add to your thread, not challenge or debate you.
    Nor I, you. I'm always up for discussion and I won't hesitate to amend my viewpoint if enough evidence is presented in favor of an opposing one. In fact, I was once 100% with you on curcumin but after doing more and more research, I had to change my stance. We can certainly add to this list of 4 basic supplements, and I welcome you to add your own "ingredient, pros, cons, dosing summary, good product options" if you so desire.
  12. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.45%

I love my ACLAR. I just feel better when on it. Its a staple for me.
    I hated every minute of training, but I said, "Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion." -Muhammad Ali
  13. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.38%

Quote Originally Posted by Jonbero View Post
    I love my ACLAR. I just feel better when on it. Its a staple for me.
    Likewise
  14. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.98%

Great thread my friend
  15. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.49%

We can certainly add to this list of 4 basic supplements, and I welcome you to add your own "ingredient, pros, cons, dosing summary, good product options" if you so desire.
    I will just post PMIDs instead of quoting abstracts

Curcumin:

Pros-

Cancer
    - PMID: 20145189, PMID: 20127174, PMID: 16584595, PMID: 19898931, PMID: 20032896, PMID: 20044614, PMID: 20332461, PMID: 20305684, PMID: 20358476, PMID: 20387230, PMID: 20363232, PMID: 20360934, PMID: 20077433, PMID: 19901561, PMID: 20373902, PMID: 20393484, PMiD: 20057137, PMID: 20360934

Anti-ROS, Injury, Inflammation, and Inflammation-related Disease - PMID: 19917353, PMID: 20018302, PMID: 20132469, PMID: 20227282, PMID: 16364299, PMID: 20056736, PMID: 20125031, PMID: 20180411, PMID: 20214332, PMID: 19878610, PMID: 20188213, PMID: 19932168, PMID: 20056776, PMID: 20112103, PMID: 20025056, PMID: 20026275, PMID: 20229497, PMID: 20080166, PMID: 16387899, PMID: 19919835, PMID: 20026325

Stress and Depression - PMID: 19653644, PMID: 18406348, PMID: 17617388, PMID: 17846884, PMID: 17846884, PMID: 17942093, PMID: 18766332, PMID: 17022948, PMID: 19879308

Insulin, Skeletal Muscle, Fat, and Metabolism - PMID: 20227862, PMID: 20395228, PMID: 20357182, PMID:19093868, PMID: 10444409, PMID: 20205235, PMID: 20222050

Cons:
    Poor bioavailability
  16. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.53%

From my post on another board...

I thought I'd lay out a basic supplement stack for anyone who is interested.

So there you have 4 basic supplements for any user who is seeking to optimize performance and overall health. I will expand on this list in the future, but this is simply the "base" from which you can build up.
    WHAT No Superdrol
  17. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.45%

Quote Originally Posted by vidapreta View Post
    WHAT No Superdrol
    Wow... OP is pretty ignorant huh???

Superdrol is one of the best overall health supplements out there IMO
    I hated every minute of training, but I said, "Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion." -Muhammad Ali
  18. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.53%

Wow... OP is pretty ignorant huh???

Superdrol is one of the best overall health supplements out there IMO
    They're like Flinstone Chewable Vitamins.
  19. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.45%

They're like Flinstone Chewable Vitamins.
    Yeah! Only difference is one can be found on walmart shelves...
  20. PESCIENCE.com
    Stats
    6'0"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.33%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Nice thread!
    Amino-IV - Not Your Average Amino
    SELECT Protein
    - Ultra-Premium Blend
    ALPHAMINE - Thermogenics...Redefined
  21. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.9%

Def great work here Coop! In before it's the AM-e-letter featured thread of the week
    ~SNS~ Serious Nutrition Solutions- Rep
    Cortisol control:ReduceXT/Test Boost:DAA (bulk&caps)/Pump/N.O.:Agmatine(bulk & caps)/Test/sleep support:ZMA **RB** Est Post #22
  22. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.81%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting Pro

Mr. Cooper,

What are your thoughts on water soluble Vitamin B formulas vs. Coenzyme B formula?I currently do use B-Right.
  23. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.38%

Quote Originally Posted by koi1214 View Post
    Mr. Cooper,

What are your thoughts on water soluble Vitamin B formulas vs. Coenzyme B formula?I currently do use B-Right.
    Hmm I'm assuming you're asking if you should get a co-enzymated form? While it's preferable, def not necessary, and I don't use one.
  24. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.87%

Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69

Hmm I'm assuming you're asking if you should get a co-enzymated form? While it's preferable, def not necessary, and I don't use one.
    Dear mr. Cooper

I see you have not included black liver. What do?
    Serious Nutrition Solutions
    Revolutionizing Sports Nutrition, One Product At A Time
    antihero [@] SeriousNutritionSolutions.com
  25. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.81%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting Pro

What I was asking is if you think there is really a difference between the two.I know the coenzmye form is better absorbed with food but I really don't think one would notice a big difference.
  26. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.33%

There is a plethora of human clinical trails with curcumin. "Absorption" is an insignificant variable in its irrelevancy.

Read the bottom of this post a few more times and maybe it will sink in (or stick around and be schooled):
    How to Construct a Basic Supplement Stack
  27. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.38%

Bump (thanks for having my back recoverbros )
  28. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.5%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

Very good thread bro!
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider http://facebook.com/pescience
  29. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.93%

Great stuff, going to give some input later.
  30. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.38%

Bump for people who are PMing me
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  31. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  174 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.48%

Great thread here if anyone is looking to start out this is where they should start out. I think AOR puts out the best multivitamin with Controlled Labs coming in a close second. Lately I switched to Genomyx Krill Oil from using Nutraplanets bulk.
  32. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.53%

Quote Originally Posted by PrepNwa23 View Post
    Great thread here if anyone is looking to start out this is where they should start out. I think AOR puts out the best multivitamin with Controlled Labs coming in a close second. Lately I switched to Genomyx Krill Oil from using Nutraplanets bulk.
    You find Krill better than plain old Fish Oil??
  33. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.87%

Quote Originally Posted by vidapreta
    You find Krill better than plain old Fish Oil??
    Absolutely. I still have some old krillipid laying around, but my supply is down to only a couple bottles. I bought 2 dozen for me and family when I new RPN wasnt gonna be making it anymore.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions
    Revolutionizing Sports Nutrition, One Product At A Time
    antihero [@] SeriousNutritionSolutions.com
  34. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.53%

Quote Originally Posted by antihero View Post
    Absolutely. I still have some old krillipid laying around, but my supply is down to only a couple bottles. I bought 2 dozen for me and family when I new RPN wasnt gonna be making it anymore.
    In what way is it better than regular Fish Oil??
  35. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.53%

Just curious because I've been taking fish oil for years now.
  36. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.38%

They are VERY different. Fish oil carries the benefits of epa/dha; krill oil has other benefits associated with astaxanthin and the like.
  37. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.53%

They are VERY different. Fish oil carries the benefits of epa/dha; krill oil has other benefits associated with astaxanthin and the like.
    So would a combination of the 2 be worthwhile??
  38. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.45%

Dear Mr. Cooper

I see you have not included Superdrol on your list

Please explain
  39. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.38%

So would a combination of the 2 be worthwhile??
    Yes, there is certainly merit in using both. I will be adding to this list shortly. I'd add Krill Oil but it wouldn't be on my next "tier" of staple supplements.
  40. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.38%

Dear Mr. Cooper

I see you have not included Superdrol on your list

Please explain