bcaa supplementation, does it technically count toward your protein breakdown

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
simple: if im aiming for 200g of pro and use 20g of bcaa's does it mean i can eat 180g of whole food and still meet my macro goals?

kevinhy

kevinhy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Technically it probably should, but i dont count them.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
hmmmmm question answered....

BPjohn123

BPjohn123

Awards
Like mentioned, should count, I never have though.

MrBEEF

Awards
You gotta ask yourself WHY you are counting protein....

More than likely it is to make sure you're getting enough protein to maximize anabolism and minimum catabolism...

since BCAA's are the nail on the head in this subject...it's safe to count them, but like Kenvinhy....I personally dont, but when cutting I only take it 10g/day of BCAA & 10g Glutamne split into the day...so the incremental amount per meal is kinda low (2g/2g/meal)

-P

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Yes they should be counted.

Interestingly, BCAAs have more calories per gram than almost any other amino acid (~6 kcals)

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Yes they should be counted.

Interestingly, BCAAs have more calories per gram than almost any other amino acid (~6 kcals)
this would play a huge role in people who cut and mega dose bcaas...

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
It's all about consistency. If you are losing weight without counting BCAAs, then continue not counting them, and when you make a dietary adjustment due to weight stalling, continue not to count the BCAAs. My post was merely so that people understand that the reality of the matter is BCAAs contain ~6 kcals per gram.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
It's all about consistency. If you are losing weight without counting BCAAs, then continue not counting them, and when you make a dietary adjustment due to weight stalling, continue not to count the BCAAs. My post was merely so that people understand that the reality of the matter is BCAAs contain ~6 kcals per gram.
gotcha...

AutoKal47

AutoKal47

AK DoubleWide 47
Awards
Well we're talking about if BCAA count as protein, not that one shouldn't count the calories
which really aren't that much anyway compared to food.. When you cut, you're in cal deficit anyway (you should lol)

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Thid is a topic Ive never gotten a straight answer on. But so far this one has been the most informative and to-the-point. I never counted them but figured I should be.

itzDodge

itzDodge

Official Genomyx Wizard
Awards
  • Established
I don't count them and last I checked Layne doesn't either. If you're stressing over 100 kcals of aminos that are spiking MPS you're not focused on the big picture.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
I don't count them and last I checked Layne doesn't either. If you're stressing over 100 kcals of aminos that are spiking MPS you're not focused on the big picture.
if youre talking about my original question it was hypethetical, im confused on the bolded phrase above....

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
if youre talking about my original question it was hypethetical, im confused on the bolded phrase above....
He means Layne Norton.

And to the poster above, if they count calorically, they also count as a protein source.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Reference?

I have always counted them as 4kcal/g

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
i know the reference, just wondering since layne doesnt count them means nobody should?

AutoKal47

AutoKal47

AK DoubleWide 47
Awards
He means Layne Norton.

And to the poster above, if they count calorically, they also count as a protein source.
Well, BCAA can be considered incomplete protein, so i'm not sure we should count them in our protein intake,
also don't they have less calories x gr than whole protein?

Of course this is just to chat about it because personally I like to keep things simple, I count macros only, meaning
I don't count the protein traces in my fats, as well as I don't count fat traces in my protein sources, etc..
it makes easier to count and keep tracks of things and most important easier to adjust things in the diet if something's wrong.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Well, BCAA can be considered incomplete protein, so i'm not sure we should count them in our protein intake,
also don't they have less calories x gr than whole protein?

Of course this is just to chat about it because personally I like to keep things simple, I count macros only, meaning
I don't count the protein traces in my fats, as well as I don't count fat traces in my protein sources, etc..
it makes easier to count and keep tracks of things and most important easier to adjust things in the diet if something's wrong.
?

Incomplete protein vs complete is irrelevant in the context of a high protein diet rich in complete protein sources. ALL protein sources count; however, as I said before, consistency is the key. If you weren't counting them before, don't start now, as your approach is clearly working.

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
yeah whether its BCAA or whole protein they are all jumping into the same pool (pun intended) so they all "count"....BCAA is usable in your amino acid pool just the same as whole proteins.... which are then broken down into, what? aminos. :D It counts as protein....if you don't want to count them? then that is individual choice, you will be thinking you are taking in 200 grams of protein. BUT in reality you are taking in 220 grams since you are taking 20 grams BCAA every day. same difference I suppose....you're taking in what you are taking in.....

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
good stuff in this thread....

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
?

Incomplete protein vs complete is irrelevant in the context of a high protein diet rich in complete protein sources. ALL protein sources count; however, as I said before, consistency is the key. If you weren't counting them before, don't start now, as your approach is clearly working.
Protein is protein thats protein. All of it gets broken down into amino acids and distributed as needed. I can roll with that, dont fix whats not broken.

Docmattic

Docmattic

Awards
  • Established
So just because the FDA says you cant count the calories from them they are marketed as calorie free....thats complete bull****...but im not surprised.

If you want the calorie breakdown to nearly any amino acid, go here and select the amino acid of choice: http://www.bulknutrients.com.au/amino-acids

Australia puts it on the nutrition label. I realize this is another shop...but i cant really see many people on this board importing from Australia- nutra is cheaper. This was more for informational purposes.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
So just because the FDA says you cant count the calories from them they are marketed as calorie free....thats complete bull****...but im not surprised.

If you want the calorie breakdown to nearly any amino acid, go here and select the amino acid of choice: http://www.bulknutrients.com.au/amino-acids

Australia puts it on the nutrition label. I realize this is another shop...but i cant really see many people on this board importing from Australia- nutra is cheaper. This was more for informational purposes.
Personally speaking, I count all amino acids (even BCAAs) at 4 cals/gram. Micromanaging each individual amino acid simply isn't worth the time.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established

If you want the calorie breakdown to nearly any amino acid, go here: http://www.bulknutrients.com.au/amino-acids
Australia puts it on the nutrition label.
Calories printed on the FDA labels are based on the actual caloric value of energy stored in the item itself. Not necessarily what your body utilizes. NET calories dont equal GROSS calories. Perfect example: broccoli. All the carbs are dietary fiber that, yes, have a caloric value but because humans lack the enzyme to break down cellulose so they are metabolically inert in our system and we get 0.

itzDodge

itzDodge

Official Genomyx Wizard
Awards
  • Established
i know the reference, just wondering since layne doesnt count them means nobody should?
I'm not saying nobody should amigo, just saying its really not a necessity. I know a lot of forum bros don't and they maintain great physiques but I was just giving an example of someone who knows their stuff and still doesn't count them so all of us who don't count have a more legitimate argument than just saying 'bro relax, they're BCAAs'. Get what I'm saying lol

AutoKal47

AutoKal47

AK DoubleWide 47
Awards
?

Protein is protein thats protein. All of it gets broken down into amino acids and distributed as needed. I can roll with that, dont fix whats not broken.
Makes sense :)
I never counted them, mine was just curiosity
I eat the same things everyday, I counted macros and calories once,
and that was it

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
I'm not saying nobody should amigo, just saying its really not a necessity. I know a lot of forum bros don't and they maintain great physiques but I was just giving an example of someone who knows their stuff and still doesn't count them so all of us who don't count have a more legitimate argument than just saying 'bro relax, they're BCAAs'. Get what I'm saying lol
i know what youre saying, i would only see a need to count if one was mega dosing but for 10g im not worried about 40-60 cals thats not being counted...

th3futur3

Awards
  • Established
Makes sense :)
I never counted them, mine was just curiosity
I eat the same things everyday, I counted macros and calories once,
and that was it
Respect.