BCAA, EAA and Leucine: AK's Aminobattle!

AutoKal47

AutoKal47

AK DoubleWide 47
Awards
BCAAs have been one of my top 3 sups for the longest
time, I remember the first time I megadosed them, it was one of those "oooohhhh" moments
in which a whole new world opens up.

For me the benefits of high doses of BCAAs around my wo are massive,
endurance, recovery, strength with or without is night and day.
This is due mostly to the fact that I train fasted, I don't have a postworkout meal or shaker either,
(warrior diet), and I'm also a low carber, altho' I recently discovered that carbs don't give me any
extra energy in the gym, fats do.

Anyways, I've been sticking to the regular 2:1:1 BCAA since forever,
very happy with that and never really tried (aside from few samples)
other ratio before.

Lately I got interested in trying leucine alone and in combination with
BCAA and also with EAA, so I got myself a kilo of bulk leucine and some
EAAs along with my BCAA load

Photo1635.jpg

My old dosing/timing for BCAAs was straight and simple:
10gr prewo, 15gr intra, 10gr post.
The pre and post doses being plain bulk BCAA, put it in my mouth
and down it with some water.
The intra dose being Xtend+Bulk, mixed 50/50, sipped during the workout.

The new protocol is going to be the following:

PREWO: 1 and 1/2 scoops of LG BC+EAA plus 5gr of Leucine, down it with some water

INTRA: 2 scoop of Xtend + 5gr of bulk BCAA, sipped during wo

POSTWO: Another 1 and 1/2 scoops of LG BC+EAA + 5gr Leucine, down it with some wate

OPTIONAL: 3gr of bulk leucine before my first meal which is about 6/8 hours after my workout.
This last one is because there are some studies showing how leucine added to your meal
can trigger better protein synthesis and also shows some partitioning efffect, so i thought
I'd give it a try.

I've been doing this for only two days, and so far I had great workouts,
I was less fatigued after and while this can be just the results of
a couple of good days it's a good start.
I'll keep going and report

If you guys want me to try different combinations, feel free to suggest ;)

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm glad I clicked this thread because many years ago, BCAAs were a staple for me and then it just kind of weaned and I didn't go back. I started a run of anabeta this week and I really think I could benefit from adding the aminos again. It's good to read another person's experience with high doses of them.

AutoKal47

AutoKal47

AK DoubleWide 47
Awards
I'd die without BCAA, like literally
I fast for 16hours a day, everyday
and sometimes my cal deficit is crazy low, so yeah.. literally.
Aside from the anti-catabolic action they do improve my performance
in the gym a lot, now I can easily see someone with a different diet
not noticing such difference like I do, but still.

Chest/tris workout day just finished, one of my hardest routine,
also today I switched chest exercises which in my book means
pushing twice more because I'm always afraid - with a new routine -
not to stimulate enough.

Results are: wo started around 4.20pm, finished at 7.35pm
with very high intensity, plenty of energy during the whole session
and I'm even feeling good now that I'm done, plus,
my pecs are in *flames* (ditched flat bench press in favor of other exercises, sooo much better stimulation)

I'd say so far I'm experiencing better results with this combo than with regular
2:1:1 BCAA

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
JC, that is a long workout. Good post, man. I'm gonna add them in today.

AutoKal47

AutoKal47

AK DoubleWide 47
Awards
Again after one more workout I can say improvement in the gym is very noticeable,
and I didn't change anything but this.
Intensity and recovery between sets in particular,dropsets and burn sets are heavier,
rest time is shorter, some added reps and sets to analready "to failure" way of training,
so I'm very happy with this.
Today I'll try a higher leucine ratio intra as well

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
Nice man. I'll follow. I recently started doing the following....

5g leucine
2.5g isoleucine
2.5g valine
2.5g glutamine
2.5g Beta Alanine
2.5g Citrulline Malate

Do this twice while at work and once before training and once during training

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Subbed!

I am a long time fan of EAAs. IMO they are very under-rated. Everyone seems to focus on leucine despite the lack of evidence for it used alone WRT lean body mass gains.

AutoKal47

AutoKal47

AK DoubleWide 47
Awards
Ok report after some more workouts under the belt:

holy cow!

For once I'm very happy to say: I was so very wrong.
When the whole higher leucine ratio bcaa came out, I was all "meh, that's marketing, I ain't buying it"
some studies were saying it worked, some other it didn't.. as usual.
2:1:1 worked for me, no need to change it I thought.

Well, after these last 3 days of training with high doses of leucine i can totally say
the difference that makes is one of the most noticeable a supplement ever gave me.

I can give a very specific description of this improvement actually, I tried to analyze it in depth
and this is the best description I can come out with:

it changes the "curve" of my strength and endurance. Example: when doing 4 sets of a given
exercise, I can feel the strength curve slowly go down as you go; with leucine my strength feels
at the same (high) level the whole time, up until I go to failure; also I noticed the positive/explosive part
of the movements are well, more explosive, I'm faster in that moment (which we all know is good for hypertrophy)
strength seems to be used more efficiently, with a higher, steady level and then a steeper "slope" to failure.

This, and then overall a much better recovery between sets, better endurance and also more energy in general
after the workout.

It's settled for me, higher doses of leucine WORKS very well on me, don't know what role the EEAs (which I wasn't using before)
are playing but surely it's the whole package working so I ain't changing.

Dosing and timing have been the following:

PREWO: 5gr Leucine + 1 and 1/2 scoop LG BC+EEAs 25min prewo
INTRA: 5gr Xtend+5gr BCAA (bulk) + 5gr Leucine
POSTWO: 5gr Leucine + 1 and 1/2 scoop LG BC+EEAs

BigRigg

BigRigg

Awards
Awesome thread as always AK

UKNoko

UKNoko

Awards
Sub'd. I wonder how it's going to work out for you in longer run

AutoKal47

AutoKal47

AK DoubleWide 47
Awards
Thinking about trying a a LG warrior diet style but idk mentally I would feel like I'm losing mass
In my opinion you don't do warrior "just 'cause"
Warrior makes sense if you're cutting or trying to maintain a low BF like me,
also, I think is best when paired with a low carb diet as well, even if you think about
the name, is called warrior because warriors use to go out in the morning to hunt,
and then eat at night, and what the heck did they hunt, carbs? lol nope.. protein and fat
But most important is closer to a life style than a diet really, if you have hard time
training fasted and fasting for such long period of time you're not gonna lose mass,
you're gonna lose your mind.
I was doing warrior before knowing what I was doing had actually a name..
for me it feels very natural to fast the whole day and eat at night, if is not the same for you
I wouldn't advice that.

With that said, if you down the same amount of calories not only you're not gonna lose mass,
but you're not even gonna notice any change in body comp either.
Food timing have lil impact compared to calorie in vs calorie out, then come food choices,
and lastly food timing.
Granted that the "you need to have your protein every 3 hours" was and still is bs.. lol

AutoKal47

AutoKal47

AK DoubleWide 47
Awards
Experiment has been going on and the results are still impressive.
I think I can say it's over with the last tests, and these are my results:

I get the best performance in terms of energy, endurance and recovery
using EAAs+Leucine pre and post, BCAA+Leucine intra

Megadose:
40gr (20gr pre and 20gr post) of EEAs+Leucine makes no difference compared to 20gr (10gr pre/10gr post)
25gr of BCAA+Leucine intra makes no difference compare to 10gr

Lower dose:
10gr EEAs+Leucine (5gr pre/5gr post) does decrease performance compare to 20gr
5gr of BCAA+Leucine intra compare to 15gr does decrease performance, especially recovery between sets

So that's pretty much it, I tried different combo and most important I've been able to spot
the doses, so to get the max benefit without wasting product.

th3futur3

Awards
  • Established
We have spoke about this method and anyone reading this should seriously consider doing it...givin that your a not a p***y and can mentally sustain the given template. I have never seen such an effective recomp method until I tried the Warrior Diet. It is rewarding, fulfilling, but mentally strengthens your ability to maker choices. If it wasn't called The Warrior Diet...it would have been called "The get **** done all day without worrying about food while losing fat rapidly and eating a kick-ass meal at night diet."

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
We have spoke about this method and anyone reading this should seriously consider doing it...givin that your a not a p***y and can mentally sustain the given template. I have never seen such an effective recomp method until I tried the Warrior Diet. It is rewarding, fulfilling, but mentally strengthens your ability to maker choices. If it wasn't called The Warrior Diet...it would have been called "The get **** done all day without worrying about food while losing fat rapidly and eating a kick-ass meal at night diet."
ive been using a fasted training/warrior style diet for years.....i use whatever bcaa's/eaa's i find at the time. currently using purple wraath and amino x

AutoKal47

AutoKal47

AK DoubleWide 47
Awards
ive been using a fasted training/warrior style diet for years.....i use whatever bcaa's/eaa's i find at the time. currently using purple wraath and amino x
Plus, with fasted training there's an increase in catecholamines, which gives you a sort of "adrenaline rush"
which - again, a matter of personal preference - works better than energy from a pre workout meal.
Lotsa people then talk about the pumps they get from the prewo meal but they don't realize that it could
easily be the blood used for digestion being shuttled to the muscle group that you're training, but that also
mean that your food is temporarily sitting in your stomach because of that.
Example is see often: prewo meal, then squat. "Omg my legs are so pumped, and I pushed so hard that I felt like throwing up"
There you go, blood shuttled in your legs (pump), throwing up feeling (food sitting in your stomach)