what 3 supplements to take?

mattnike1987

Awards
Hey guys.

Im about to start training and i need some direction in regards to supplements.
Now the problem is that i cant afford to buy lots of supplements so im going to only buy 3 supplements that would benefit me the most.
I am looking at a protein powder, test booster and recovery stack.
Is that the best mix to go being on a budget?
Also would products would yous recommend?
I am around 5'9.5" but skinny at 155lbs so but i want to build muscle without putting the fat on.
Thanks in advance.

996ttelise

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Bettencourt Regenerate has both recovery and test boost and I actually kind of noticed positive results of Bettencourt products. Definitely a good solid protein. Regenerate and Bullnox I believe has a nice mixture of creatine, protein, test booster and recovery stuff. If just starting out, focus heavily on protein and diet. Eat lots of steak, chicken, broc, nuts, eggs, and fruit. Works for me. I wouldn't go for a strong test booster if just starting out and if younger.

th3futur3

Awards
  • Established
Don't waste your money on a test booster. Your 155 pounds and probably need a base. I wouldn't even worry about supplements until your done stuffing your face with oats, eggs, peanut butter, and chicken breast. If you were to chose three...Whey Protein, Creatine Monohydrate, Multi Vitamin. Take the money you save off the test booster and buy some fish oil as well. Then go grab a fork and eat some beef.

ddfox

ddfox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
^^^^

Agreed! Multi, Fish Oil, creatine mono, and protein. Stick to the basics when starting out.

Eat, Lift, Sleep, Repeat!

Just focus on diet and training the first 6 months! --- get a good base under you before adding too many supplements.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
creapure, beta alanine, multi.....all could be had cheap and in bulk....

owlicks

owlicks

Awards
^^^^

Agreed! Multi, Fish Oil, creatine mono, and protein. Stick to the basics when starting out.

Eat, Lift, Sleep, Repeat!

Just focus on diet and training the first 6 months! --- get a good base under you before adding too many supplements.
Agree with this as well. You should be taking a multi vitamin and fish oil anyway, so I won't count that as a supp. Get some whey protein (Nutro Pro from nutraplanet.com will work just fine and is cheap) and some creatine mono and you're good to go. Anyone who tells you otherwise at the point you're at likely doesn't know what he/she is talking about.

easybreezy313

Awards
hey bud,
I deff would look into a really good weight gainer I've had really good success with isomass extreme by ultimate nutrition and even ***'s mass xxx is legit. For test boosters if you can get your hands on anything with 6-oxo grab it but if you can't ive heard good things about test freak and the flex stack is good as well. And for recovery after glow is simply amazinggg. lemme know if any of this helps ya out

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Don't waste your money on a test booster. Your 155 pounds and probably need a base. I wouldn't even worry about supplements until your done stuffing your face with oats, eggs, peanut butter, and chicken breast. If you were to chose three...Whey Protein, Creatine Monohydrate, Multi Vitamin. Take the money you save off the test booster and buy some fish oil as well. Then go grab a fork and eat some beef.
This.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
hey bud,
I deff would look into a really good weight gainer I've had really good success with isomass extreme by ultimate nutrition and even ***'s mass xxx is legit. For test boosters if you can get your hands on anything with 6-oxo grab it but if you can't ive heard good things about test freak and the flex stack is good as well. And for recovery after glow is simply amazinggg. lemme know if any of this helps ya out
marketed weightgainers are NOT budget friendly....

mattnike1987

Awards
Thanks guys, I think I will take the advice and not buy any supplements at the moment and just focus on eating well and training hard, with multivitamins and fish oil.

I Just have a few questions though, why do I need a weight gainer for? why cant I just take a low carb protein? because I find that weight gainers just give me a fat guts and nothing else?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks guys, I think I will take the advice and not buy any supplements at the moment and just focus on eating well and training hard, with multivitamins and fish oil.

I Just have a few questions though, why do I need a weight gainer for? why cant I just take a low carb protein? because I find that weight gainers just give me a fat guts and nothing else?
I started hitting the gym to gain mass when I was 17-18 and I ate everything and anything I could get my hands on, but my metabolism was way to fast and my gains in the gym were slow. I was ripped to hell, but thin (6', 160lbs). I had to throw in a weight gainer twice a day to add the extra 1500-2000 calories because #1- I couldn't afford to eat more, #2- I was sick of eating all the time. In a couple years I gained a solid 25-30 lbs. This was about 20 years ago and I had about 5 good brands to pick from. It wasn't like it is now. I mean, I had to walk through 3 feet of snow snow and...Lol.

mattnike1987

Awards
I started hitting the gym to gain mass when I was 17-18 and I ate everything and anything I could get my hands on, but my metabolism was way to fast and my gains in the gym were slow. I was ripped to hell, but thin (6', 160lbs). I had to throw in a weight gainer twice a day to add the extra 1500-2000 calories because #1- I couldn't afford to eat more, #2- I was sick of eating all the time. In a couple years I gained a solid 25-30 lbs. This was about 20 years ago and I had about 5 good brands to pick from. It wasn't like it is now. I mean, I had to walk through 3 feet of snow snow and...Lol.
Haha nice effort man! But i still dont understand how it really works. like is the weight you put on fat or muscle? I find it just puts fat on? Do i need to put fat on to gain muscle?

Dan79langford

Awards
Is there much different between a brand of whey like ON, MET-TX, USN to a bulk brand of whey.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Haha nice effort man! But i still dont understand how it really works. like is the weight you put on fat or muscle? I find it just puts fat on? Do i need to put fat on to gain muscle?
It was just weight. I had to work my ass off to make sure it didn't turn into fat and give me a gut. You don't put on muscle from drinking or eating. That's just the fuel.

D2footballjrc

D2footballjrc

Awards
Multi, Fish Oil, creatine mono, and protein starting out. Then depending on age I'd add DAA and LCLT.

ISU152

ISU152

Awards
spend that money on food and food. You could maybe pick up some creatine mono. You can get it in bulk from nutraplanet for under $20

alewisdvm

Awards
Hey:
I'm 5'9" about 158 right now. Still doing some cutting.
I take caffeine, Carnitine, CLA, and EGCG.

But, when done cutting, I had the same question as you and came to this conclusion:
1. Food! first. Chicken, Eggs, Turkey...got to get that protein, and don't rely just on the shakes.
2. For shakes, I love the Optimum Nutrition Gold Milk Chocolate. It tastes good and is widely respected by many. Affordable as well.
3. Creatine is a must. Must
4. Fish oil. If you can't tolerate it (GI upset), try krill oil instead.
5. You might want to ask these guys about BCAA supplement as well. For me, I like having a little flavored something during workout. I am currently using "Xtend". Supposedly, since I am cutting, the consumption of the extra BCAA's and help reduce muscle lost. Whether it does or doesn't a little something during workouts, in my opinion, should be considered. Feels like I get a little extra boost.

Very important:
You need to use an online calculator and figure out what your maintenance calories are per day. In the beginning, I would consider making sure you eat at least your maintenance calories or only a few hundred above. If you eat an excessive amount over, I can guarantee it will not be a clean bulk and you will put on fat. That also means if you do a lot of cardio and are burning an extra couple hundred calories a day, you need to eat more to offset those calories lost. You will never gain muscle if you are not eating enough calories.

If you are like me (or where I am trying to get to), you are already skinny with lower body fat...don't start pounding calories just to get big. Do it paced with good proteins and not excessive calories.

Jymis

Jymis

Awards
Hey:
I'm 5'9" about 158 right now. Still doing some cutting.
I take caffeine, Carnitine, CLA, and EGCG.

But, when done cutting, I had the same question as you and came to this conclusion:
1. Food! first. Chicken, Eggs, Turkey...got to get that protein, and don't rely just on the shakes.
2. For shakes, I love the Optimum Nutrition Gold Milk Chocolate. It tastes good and is widely respected by many. Affordable as well.
3. Creatine is a must. Must
4. Fish oil. If you can't tolerate it (GI upset), try krill oil instead.
5. You might want to ask these guys about BCAA supplement as well. For me, I like having a little flavored something during workout. I am currently using "Xtend". Supposedly, since I am cutting, the consumption of the extra BCAA's and help reduce muscle lost. Whether it does or doesn't a little something during workouts, in my opinion, should be considered. Feels like I get a little extra boost.

Very important:
You need to use an online calculator and figure out what your maintenance calories are per day. In the beginning, I would consider making sure you eat at least your maintenance calories or only a few hundred above. If you eat an excessive amount over, I can guarantee it will not be a clean bulk and you will put on fat. That also means if you do a lot of cardio and are burning an extra couple hundred calories a day, you need to eat more to offset those calories lost. You will never gain muscle if you are not eating enough calories.

If you are like me (or where I am trying to get to), you are already skinny with lower body fat...don't start pounding calories just to get big. Do it paced with good proteins and not excessive calories.

good advice right here

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
creatine
bcaa
waxy/dextrose/etc