What's a supplement that lowers cholesterol?

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Quote Originally Posted by thesinner View Post
    Thanks for the reply back.

This changes the tone (from my perspective) from "I have a sudden urge to fix my cholesterol levels through pills I can get without a doctor's prescription" to "A trip to the doctor opened up my eyes to cholesterol levels, and I want to take preventative measures".

My initial thoughts were seeking alternatives to Lipitor (or other meds) due either ability to afford the medication or stress on the liver. Daily consumption of alcohol or tylenol (i.e. acetaminophen) or (of course) steroids would be inidcators of the latter. Now it's clear you are just trying to take better care of yourself.
    You are very perceptive - well done!

I am only trying to take preventative measures in a mild way to try and lower my LDL levels before the next time my cholesterol is checked. Nothing drastic or no serious reason to suddenly fix everything.

I'm just - as you said - trying to take better care of myself.

2. Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post

So I assume your doctor had the typical bloodwork done and the way he gets the number for LDL is based on a formula and it is not a actual measurement. If you are concerned than ask your doctor for a VAP and NMR Lipoprofile test. They will give you an actual measurement of LDL and their particle size.

Typically if you have high LDL combined with low trig than usually the majority of your LDL are the larger particles which are harmless. So if your LDL is dominated by the larger particles (which is probably your case considering your trig count) than I wouldnt worry too much about the LDLs.
    I think I should print this out and take it with me next time so I'll know what to ask for.

Thanks for the expert advice!
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by tnubs View Post
    red yeast rice & policosanol. they are also cheap. like a months worth for like $4
    This is what I was going to say. Just be careful with the Red Yeast Rice, I took it for a really long time and it slightly raised my liver enzyme levels. It works like a mild statin..

But it def brought the numbers down for me a lot, esp the first time I used them..SJ

4. Cocoa helps I believe
    Serious Nutrition Solutions | Online Representative
    Growth Factor XT-GROW! Need Cycle Support? Check out Liver XT.
    Follow SNS on Facebook for more promos!
  5. Never enough

Quote Originally Posted by DGA3 View Post
    Last fall my doc ran some bloodwork, and it was good news/bad news:

LDL = 169/high (bad news)
    HDL = 71/very high (good news)
    Triglycerides = 39/very low (good news)

Because I am in great physical condition, exercise a lot, eat healthy, and have no family history of heart/stroke problems, my doc said there was no need to rush to drugs (statins) to lower my LDL. We're going to check my cholesterol again in the spring and see where it's at.

In the meantime, I've done some research, and one new way to look at cholesterol is not to worry so much about the overall (total) number, but more importantly, the ratio of good to bad. If that's true, I am in great shape because of my very high HDL levels.
    yep, that is true, so you are in good shape. You have to also look at whether LDL was measured or just caclulated as there are some potential issues with whether it really is high or not given it being calculated. In all the research studies once you read the whole way through them, high cholesterol alone without high triglycerides hasn't been shown to be a factor in heart disease/strokes. With high triglycerides, sure
    Animis Rep
    facebook.com/xAnimis
    animis.org/forum

6. Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    . . . high cholesterol alone without high triglycerides hasn't been shown to be a factor in heart disease/strokes.
    Yahoo!

Thanks for the update.

7. My doctor said to take an aspirin with niacin to reduce flushing. It feels like an allergic reaction to me, so I have taken a Benadryl with it and had good luck preventing flushing.

8. Good stuff Judo

To add to that, low carb diets seems to help all facets of problematic lipid level issues.

Here:
    http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/faq...holesterol.htm

Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    no by already I meant already. I was asking how do you know your LDL is elevated. Sometimes with a OTC product (such as niacin and others) people might just assume their cholesterol is high (usually because they have a diet of meat and are under the belief dietary cholesterol impacts serum cholesterol) and want to take something as a preemptive measure and think, "hey this is over the counter so should be fine to take." This is why I asked.

So I assume your doctor had the typical bloodwork done and the way he gets the number for LDL is based on a formula and it is not a actual measurement. If you are concerned than ask your doctor for a VAP and NMR Lipoprofile test. They will give you an actual measurement of LDL and their particle size.

Typically if you have high LDL combined with low trig than usually the majority of your LDL are the larger particles which are harmless. So if your LDL is dominated by the larger particles (which is probably your case considering your trig count) than I wouldnt worry too much about the LDLs.
    A-Minds HYPE-SLAYER! All posts & feedback are guaranteed to be unsolicited and legit
    "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge. Fools despise wisdom & instruction"
    Proverbs 1:7

9. Those levels may alter based on the last thing you ate. Obviously a fasted blood draw is going to be a bit more accurate. That LDL isnt so bad considering your HDL is good. Individual numbers are one way to look at it but comprehensively lipid panels are ratios. Another example is thyroid panels; T3 Uptake doesnt mean much without TSH and TT4.

In your case:
    Cholesterol = HDL+LDL+VLDL = 71+169+39 = 279 = Very high cholesterol
    CHOL/HDL = 279/71 = 3.93 <---<4.5 is acceptable, shoot for 2-3 range
    LDL/HDL = 169/71 = 2.38 <--- Thats pretty good, but not perfect

My initial though it something about diet. Im sure age is starting to play a role and I dont know how your work/family life are. Sometimes its genetic. These results arent alarming but adjustments could be made.
    By believing passionately in something that still does not exist, we create it. The nonexistent is whatever we have not sufficiently desired.
    Franz Kafka

10. Quote Originally Posted by R1balla
    Sure supplements will help, but main point is diet.
    Diet is always first try.. but that doesn't work for everyone.
    Hi-Tech Pharmaceuticals Representative
    •   

11. I don't know if it would make a difference, but the night before, I had an "all you can eat" fried fish dinner with a few beers.

Had an appointment with my Doc the following morning for some poison ivy, and while I was there, he decided to go ahead and do a blood draw because it had been a while since my last one.

Hadn't planned on it, and surely wouldn't have eaten in the manner I did the night before!

12. Quote Originally Posted by DGA3 View Post
    I don't know if it would make a difference, but the night before, I had an "all you can eat" fried fish dinner with a few beers.

Had an appointment with my Doc the following morning for some poison ivy, and while I was there, he decided to go ahead and do a blood draw because it had been a while since my last one.

Hadn't planned on it, and surely wouldn't have eaten in the manner I did the night before!
    Meals the day before can affect blood work from what i always was told. Usually they say 8 hours prior, but a LARGE meal can carry effects longer.
    Hi-Tech Pharmaceuticals Representative

13. Bumping a 4 year old thread!
    Any new products/ingredients to lower cholesterol? Bergamonte(bergamot?) still good?

14. A good, cheap & healthy strategy is to take a fiber supplement prior to any fatty/cholesterol containing meals.
    Olympus Labs Representative
    Olympus Labs - Turning Men Into Demigods
    BOXER30 TO SAVE 30% OFF OLYMPUS LABS ITEMS

15. Quote Originally Posted by DonnieM View Post
    Bumping a 4 year old thread!
    Any new products/ingredients to lower cholesterol? Bergamonte(bergamot?) still good?
    Depends in what your total cholesterol is and total triglycerides are. A range between 200-220 is associated with lower all cause mortality (correlated) but when trigs are high (overweight or high carbohydrate diet) then you have potential for negative interaction.

Id get my LDL-p looked at
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-gels: Arachidonic Acid made affordable

16. I have run Cycle Assist+lots of fiber for years now and it's done miracles for my cholesterol. Actually gonna go get it checked again this week so will report back.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-GELS THE Prohormone alternative!
    anabolicminds.com/forum/supplements/246394-arachidonic-acid-help.html
  17. What's a supplement that lowers cholesterol?

Cycle assist and Nimbus Nutrition Cadence
    SNS Forum Representative | Lift, Laugh, Repeat

Similar Forum Threads

1. Dim Lowers DHT ?????
    By theoh in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-02-2012, 05:06 PM
  2. Cholesterol in foods not affecting blood cholesterol?
    By Jayhawkk in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-19-2009, 02:03 PM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-01-2006, 02:30 AM