is PLCAR worth it?

titanman31

titanman31

Awards
Hey guys I'm pretty limited on money but I have seen some good stuff on it. What's some peoples experiences on it?

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
its amazing, i've been running it along with ALCAR for the last 40 days, just opened my 2nd 100g tub of the plcar :)

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
^ I would avoid running ALCAR with PLCAR. Although they have their benefits, the combination has been shown to be inferior than either alone for certain benefits. Try alternating between alcar and plcar cycles...I love it.

OP, PLCAR is the only carnitine that can directly elevate muscle carnitine stores. Further, it has been shown to combat general fatigue and may increase natural energy.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
TLCAR is also good stuff. But they all have different uses, and I wouldn't use them all together. I don't know why, but they don't work as well when combined.

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
^ I would avoid running ALCAR with PLCAR. Although they have their benefits, the combination has been shown to be inferior than either alone for certain benefits. Try alternating between alcar and plcar cycles...I love it.
Have you got any more info on this? Everything i've read has always hyped the two together :(

th3futur3

Awards
  • Established

OP, PLCAR is the only carnitine that can directly elevate muscle carnitine stores. Further, it has been shown to combat general fatigue and may increase natural energy.
You always seem to impress me hahah. Good stuff man.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Have you got any more info on this? Everything i've read has always hyped the two together :(

Not from what I've seen.

Probably the best thing to take with ALCAR is NA-RALA.

Almost everywhere I've read, says not to take PLCAR and ALCAR together.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
I really like plcar but it's not the cheapest. Really I use about .5-1g prework out with coffee and again before work in a propel as I drive in.

It is not a pre work out type energy. Closer to a vitB6 or bowl of oats type energy. I find I can think quicker and more clearly as well.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I'm very pressed for time these next few days, but I'll try to get it to you next week. The study was with respect to testosterone-like effects (which believe it or, ALCAR and PLCAR can produce in lacking individuals if administered longterm).

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
I'm very pressed for time these next few days, but I'll try to get it to you next week. The study was with respect to testosterone-like effects (which believe it or, ALCAR and PLCAR can produce in lacking individuals if administered longterm).
no rush! i'll do some looking around :) It'll work out cheaper for me too if i start cycling them.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would be interested in this as well.

flightposite

flightposite

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Did a quick search and stumbled upon this

PMID:15072869

Still looking though as thats not really helpful. They found the combo of alcar and plcar did not significantly effect total and free test levels but Coop mentioned "test like effect" (he didnt say actual test levels) so this probably isnt what he was referencing.

And then there was this one PMID 15039515

Which showed the effect the carnitines had on fatigue decreased when alcar and plcar were combine

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I think l-carnitine-l-tartarate has the greatest effect on test, since it upregulates the androgen receptors

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I think l-carnitine-l-tartarate has the greatest effect on test, since it upregulates the androgen receptors
On the contrary, ALCAR likely has the most significant effects on testosterone: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8232773. Upregulating ARs is of minimal concern in natural athletes.

Still could not locate the study I mentioned earlier. It is saved on my drive at school along with other carnitine research so I may just head there later today. Josh found another good one showing that the combination of carnitines may not be as beneficial as you think.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
On the contrary, ALCAR likely has the most significant effects on testosterone: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8232773. Upregulating ARs is of minimal concern in natural athletes.

Still could not locate the study I mentioned earlier. It is saved on my drive at school along with other carnitine research so I may just head there later today. Josh found another good one showing that the combination of carnitines may not be as beneficial as you think.
I vaguely remember reading something that hinted PLCAR being superior for testosterone levels. I only remember because it seemed odd to me and thinking it may have been possibly the propionyl acted as a BCAA and thats why an effect on testosterone levels were seen.

I tried to find it again but couldnt :( it may have been an article and not an actual study

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I vaguely remember reading something that hinted PLCAR being superior for testosterone levels. I only remember because it seemed odd to me and thinking it may have been possibly the propionyl acted as a BCAA and thats why an effect on testosterone levels were seen.

I tried to find it again but couldnt :( it may have been an article and not an actual study
I have read that too. The caveat is that it was administered for 6 straight months at 2g/day.

ALCAR is my personal favorite, but it also goes along with my lifestyle. With alcohol, ALCAR serves a dual function of preventing neurodegeneration while also normalizing testosterone levels in response to a negative external stimulus. Also, while this could be placebo, 2g alcar the morning after drinking appears to lessen the effects of the hangover :D.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
ALCAR is definitely more of a nootropic than the others

icecold9487

Awards
I have read that too. The caveat is that it was administered for 6 straight months at 2g/day.

ALCAR is my personal favorite, but it also goes along with my lifestyle. With alcohol, ALCAR serves a dual function of preventing neurodegeneration while also normalizing testosterone levels in response to a negative external stimulus. Also, while this could be placebo, 2g alcar the morning after drinking appears to lessen the effects of the hangover :D.
that's weird because i've found ALCAR to give me significantly worse hangovers. it's bad enough that i won't touch ALCAR until i feel completely normal again. i want to also add that i'm a huge fan of ALCAR and that has been the only downside that i've found to it.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Does this hold true for other forms of Carnitine or just ALCAR + PLCAR? (was aware of this but hadn't I am not sure if I have seen anything regarding the combination of others)

As for the OP. I love PLCAR. Regularly toss some of it in with my Ultima and love the added benefits.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Does this hold true for other forms of Carnitine or just ALCAR + PLCAR? (was aware of this but hadn't I am not sure if I have seen anything regarding the combination of others)

As for the OP. I love PLCAR. Regularly toss some of it in with my Ultima and love the added benefits.
It should not apply to the other carnitines. Obviously there is overlap between GPLC and PLCAR, but that's as far as it goes.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It should not apply to the other carnitines. Obviously there is overlap between GPLC and PLCAR, but that's as far as it goes.
Alright that is what I thought. Thanks I'd rep you but I hardly rep anyone so it still says I gotta spread my rep around :rolleyes:

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Coop, u mention cycling carnitine use.. I've been on 1.5-2g alcar daily for about a year now.. Should I come off for a bit? If so, Should I expect any negative sides?

Most importantly- Could the long term use be negatively affective test/androgen levels?

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Coop, u mention cycling carnitine use.. I've been on 1.5-2g alcar daily for about a year now.. Should I come off for a bit? If so, Should I expect any negative sides?

Most importantly- Could the long term use be negatively affective test/androgen levels?
Cycle off for a month.
No negative sides.
It wouldn't affect androgen levels if you come off it (unless there is some HEAVY external stressor which I doubt you have).

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Cycle off for a month.
No negative sides.
It wouldn't affect androgen levels if you come off it (unless there is some HEAVY external stressor which I doubt you have).
K my bottle Is almost gone so I guess I shall.

Define heavy external stressor? Lol does life count?

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just cycle off lol. You should be cycling everything
Sorry for turning this into the Carnitine Ask Coop thread...but, is this implying cycling off all carnitines of just cycling between the different forms? I tend to cycle between forms, and therefore haven't cycled completely off like in awhile like I try to with everything (LCLT seems to be the new BA or creatine being in everything now a days from pres to intras etc).

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Sorry for turning this into the Carnitine Ask Coop thread...but, is this implying cycling off all carnitines of just cycling between the different forms? I tend to cycle between forms, and therefore haven't cycled completely off like in awhile like I try to with everything (LCLT seems to be the new BA or creatine being in everything now a days from pres to intras etc).
Yeah you can just cycle off the individual salts. It may be beneficial to take carnitine in some form in the long-long-run.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah you can just cycle off the individual salts. It may be beneficial to take carnitine in some form in the long-long-run.
Alright that makes me feel better.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
@sns8778

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Ha. The last post in this thread was from 2012 :p

For anyone wondering why thebigt bumped this it's because we were discussing PLCAR in another thread and why SNS had discontinued it - and the reason was because PLCAR was an ingredient that people frequently talked about but it never translated over into being a good seller. And because PLCAR is very sticky during the capsulation process it's a nightmare in production so most contract manufacturers require a very large run to be willing to make it. That translates into a company having a lot of money tied up in a slow selling product. However, I do think PLCAR is a great ingredient; unfortunately sales just didn't translate over into allowing it to remain a single ingredient sku.

I kind of speed read through this thread and it seemed like the issue with people saying not to mix ALCAR and PLCAR was specifically pertaining to the combination not being as strong for testosterone boosting purposes as high dosing ALCAR alone. My comment on that is that I wouldn't be using either (nor do we or did we ever market either) as being testosterone boosters and if that's what someone is/was looking for, they're probably better to choose a different ingredient anyway. For nootropic purposes, I love ALCAR but I see no reason that people looking for a variety of effects should be hesitant to mix the two. Just my opinion.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Still one of the best ingredients I ever brought to the industry but, yeah, it's a pain to work with. At some point I'll probably grab another drum and sell plain old powder, but I'm waiting on some news first.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I have tried and tried to find PLCAR - without success. Yes, I would buy it - darn right I would.

Last edited:
cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Still one of the best ingredients I ever brought to the industry but, yeah, it's a pain to work with. At some point I'll probably grab another drum and sell plain old powder, but I'm waiting on some news first.
Good to see you back out and posting

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 1
Supplements 24
Avengeme Evomuse 6
dsade Evomuse 128
Supplements 46