Epilepsy and stimulant use

IRON4LIFE

IRON4LIFE

Awards
  • Established
What’s up guys…have a question for anyone who suffers from epilepsy and how that has affected their use of fat burners. My wife suffers from a mild form of epilepsy and had interest in using a different fat burner/stimulant then what she has currently used. Over the last year she has used OEP on and off with no issues and has had good results. She would like to try something different, however she is weary given her condition. I realize this is ultimately a question for an MD, so please save both of us time and leave the smart ass comments at bay. I’m just looking for info from individuals who suffer from this condition and how it has affected their supplement use.

Thanks,
Iron4life

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
I'm guessing the best thing to do is a *lot* of research to make sure that there is no chance of the ingredients in the fat burner effecting the pathway(s?) that cause her to have the seizures.

ManBeast

C Rex

C Rex

Awards
If it were me, I would consult my primary care provider before any further use to see what he thinks. I know it may seem like a hassle, but better safe than sorry, right!?

IRON4LIFE

IRON4LIFE

Awards
  • Established

Thanks for the input manbeast. That is certainly what our first step would be. Partially what prompted me to start this thread and start to gather some info. Her condition is quite mild in that she hasn’t had a full blown event in years; however were trying to be as careful as possible. I should note she drinks coffee on a regular basis and that doesn’t seem to cause any problems. I just worry about some of the contents of these proprietary blends. I’m starting to think a non-stimulant burner like lean extreme might be a good avenue to explore.

D2footballjrc

D2footballjrc

Awards
Watch out for pre workouts like Craze and Focus XT.. Most likely she will be on a MOA Inhibitor and some supplements can actually make her epilepsy worse. You'll want to be very careful and research every ingredient. Only reason I know this, is I have a condition so I check every ingredient of every supplement I take and I've saw a lot of them mention stuff about don't take if you are on a MOAI and stuff for those reasons.

It might be a safer path for her to take the good ole.. Diet and Exercise path and avoid all but the most basic supplements. Diet and nutrition will do more than any supplement anyways. I'd error on the side of caution on any supplement I put in my body if I was your wife. Just my 2 cents. I wish her the best of luck in her goals! She can accomplish them no doubt. Just be careful.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Definitely avoid proprietary blends that don't list what they are using at the least, sometimes the amounts matter too, but I'm sure there are some definite red-flag ingredients, and if they aren't listed... eeek.

ManBeast (that was a manly "eeek" by the way)

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Eh, I don't care what a company wants to do, but things like that do influence what I whip my visa out for! LoL

ManBeast