Hawthorn berries extract dosage

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
was wondering what dosage you guys who take hawthorn take of the extract, and what has been an effective dose in your experience....my version has:

1 Capsule:

Hawthorn Extract 141mg
(Crataegus oxyacantha)(berries)
std. to 1.8% vitexin 2.5mg
---------------------------
Hawthorn 424mg
(Crataegus oxyacantha)(berries)

label says 1-3 a day, but I want to be sure I'm taking enough to positively effect BP.

Disturbed

Disturbed

Awards
This is from Dr Houser's (dinoiii) post article over at LB.

[SIZE=+2]Typical Forms & Dosage[/SIZE]

- Suggested Daily Dose: 3.5-19.8mg flavanoids, calculated as hyperoside (DAB 10), or 160-900mg extract (3:1 - 7:1 with ethanol 45% v/v or methanol 70% v/v), corresponding to 30-168.7mg oligomeric procyanidins, calculated as epicatechol. Hawthorn leaf/flower can be used for unlimited time periods.

- How this translates if not concentrated (See short topic series IV for more on concentration): 0.75mg – 6 grams per day of dried flower, leaf, or by infusion; 3 – 6 mL per day of a 1:2 liquid extract of hawthorn leaf or equivalent in tablet/capsule form; 3.5 – 17.5 mL per day of a 1:5 tincture of hawthorn leaf.

- Doses for leaf and flower extracts tested in clinical trials ranged from 160-1800mg/day, while the berry extracts were tested from 300-1000mg three times per day.

- Products containing standardized extract WS 1442:
(18.75% OPCs): statistically significant trials have used doses of 60mg three times per day or 80mg twice daily. The U.S. brand HeartCare (Nature's Way) is standardized in this fahsion.

- Products containing standardized extract LI 132:
(2.2% flavanoids): statistically significant trials have used doses of 100mg three time daily, 200mg twice daily, and up to 300mg three times per day.

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
Thanks man, never saw that posting. So I guess the suggested high dosage on the label of 3 a day is pretty good....equals about 400mg of the standardized....which falls in the middle of the three suggested protocols. and there is the normal hawthorn in there too in addition to the extract which adds to the total. I guess I'll do 2 caps twice daily...thats close to 600mg of extract plus the additional hawthorn berry. thanks again, reps.

Disturbed

Disturbed

Awards
Thanks man, never saw that posting. So I guess the suggested high dosage on the label of 3 a day is pretty good....equals about 400mg of the standardized....which falls in the middle of the three suggested protocols. and there is the normal hawthorn in there too in addition to the extract which adds to the total. I guess I'll do 2 caps twice daily...thats close to 600mg of extract plus the additional hawthorn berry. thanks again, reps.
I always dosed a gram to 1,500.I'm sure it will all depend on a lot of factors,including what compound your using(meaning PH or AAS).

RoadBlocK

RoadBlocK

Awards
  • Established
I always dosed a gram to 1,500.I'm sure it will all depend on a lot of factors,including what compound your using(meaning PH or AAS).
Same here, usually 1g, but if its something known to cause bad bp spikes, I dose it higher.

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
Well 6 a day would be ~850mg of the extract and ~2500mg of the basic hawthorn. Not sure if I should shoot for ~1,000 of the EXTRACT....or compensate for the basic hawthorn that is not standardized which is in there??? having standardized extract mixed with basic hawthorn is kind of tough to gauge since you have no idea of the potency of the non-standardized stuff.....

Disturbed

Disturbed

Awards
Hopefully you have a BP monitor at your house and can adjust the HB doses accordingly.Also start the HB 2 weeks before you start your cycle.

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
Hopefully you have a BP monitor at your house and can adjust the HB doses accordingly.Also start the HB 2 weeks before you start your cycle.
there is a BP machine at the pharmacy which is a short walk from work. I'm going in there to pick up a script tomorrow anyways, so I was going to get an initial 24 hour reading at 4-5 caps a day....then go back on thursday and get another reading.....so on and so forth to see where I am at. I'm always in high normal or slightly into high when on PH's so I doubt taking too much would be of any consequence....could only serve to help me. previously I was taking the NOW coq10 with hawthorne.....so I doubt I was getting an effective dose.....