How To Properly Use A Weight Gainer

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I don't knock pre mad gainers at all... But there are some ground rules, if you're skinny and using it as a meal replacement you won't gain weight! Follow the instructions below.

1) Eat a meal! A big meal with carbs & protein

2) 45 minutes or so after finishing meal, make shake in blender and add liquid egg whites, p butter, banana, ice cream... The list can go on & on.

3) Pound shake back...

4) 2 hours later Eat another meal

5) Wait 45 minutes later & make another gainer & pound it.

6) Repeat all above steps 3-6 times per day.

-And a calorie is a calorie, no matter which way u slice it.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
That is a good point that you make as far as not replacing meals but ADDING meals. If you want to gain weight/mass you need to increase cals over what you are currently eating. Hence if you eat 3 meals keep those meals the same and add in a weight gain shake in between the meals :thumbsup:

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
That is a good point that you make as far as not replacing meals but ADDING meals. If you want to gain weight/mass you need to increase cals over what you are currently eating. Hence if you eat 3 meals keep those meals the same and add in a weight gain shake in between the meals :thumbsup:
Right Big D

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
In case some1 miss this...

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Definitely. And using whole foods in the shake (PB, eggs, etc) as Aaron points out is so superior to the store-bought maltodextrin-based gainers that are so popular.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
hit the nail on the head haha

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Bump.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It is so easy to gain weight. I don't understand why people have a problem with it. Then they think the answer is to use a DS/PS/PH type product. Most of the people using them are far below the 200 weight mark too. Most I see are 6 feet and 140-160 pounds. Oh well though. Like I really care anyway. Just bored and this place entertains me.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
It is so easy to gain weight. I don't understand why people have a problem with it. Then they think the answer is to use a DS/PS/PH type product. Most of the people using them are far below the 200 weight mark too. Most I see are 6 feet and 140-160 pounds. Oh well though. Like I really care anyway. Just bored and this place entertains me.
lol...
They want that quality weight.

Herm

Awards
yea, I can admit that I fell into this category at one point in time. When your surrounded by alot of people who have no nutrition knowledge and carry out a poor diet on a regular basis, you could yourself just do a step better and think that your eating "alot" or that you have an impossible metabolism to cope or gain muscle with. I was one of those people, and then when I closely monitored everything I was eating I realized I was living on garbage, and not even coming close to what I needed half the time. When I even stepped my diet up to 1.5grams/lb of body weight I gained so much quality weight that I felt almost ashamed of myself for what I had been doing in the past

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
yea, I can admit that I fell into this category at one point in time. When your surrounded by alot of people who have no nutrition knowledge and carry out a poor diet on a regular basis, you could yourself just do a step better and think that your eating "alot" or that you have an impossible metabolism to cope or gain muscle with. I was one of those people, and then when I closely monitored everything I was eating I realized I was living on garbage, and not even coming close to what I needed half the time. When I even stepped my diet up to 1.5grams/lb of body weight I gained so much quality weight that I felt almost ashamed of myself for what I had been doing in the past
We all had to start somewhere. You figured out what you were doing wrong and that's the important part.

SuppBro

Awards
Because over 4000 calories is maintenance for me and getting less can undo months of gym progress.

Awards
Hate to bring up an old thread

But I'm currently 150 and have been trying to eat 3,300 calories / day. Havent been gaining weight as effectively as I thought.

The weight gainer I have is 980 calories....so I could technically take another shake and bump it up by 1,000 calories.

My question is do you think 2 weight gainer shakes per day is overkill?

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

But I'm currently 150 and have been trying to eat 3,300 calories / day. Havent been gaining weight as effectively as I thought.

The weight gainer I have is 980 calories....so I could technically take another shake and bump it up by 1,000 calories.

What's your maintenance? How effectively are you gaining weight?

Awards
My maintenance is 3000. I've been hitting 3400 - 3500 at least 4 days a week but typically fall off a bit on the other 3 days (2800 - 3000). Results have been really poor as I've probably put on a max of 1 - 2 pounds over 4 months or so.

Awards
I'm a little worried that if I shock the system with like 4,000 calories a lot of it might be fat vs lean muscle. Pretty happy with how things look at 150 but I'd ideally like to get to 165 or so.

Awards
You know what...pretty vague post from me...I'll write a detailed breakdown of what I'm eating right now and then ask...

HardB0iled

HardB0iled

Awards
  • Established
You've only gained 1 or 2 pounds in four months because you're barely eating above maintenance if at all. You need to get your calories close to 4000 consistently, not just a few days a week. What do your macros look like? Are you taking in enough carbs?

Awards
Current Meal Breakdown

Coconut Oil - 260 cals, 0 protein, 0 carbs, 28 g fat
Butter - 70 cals, 0 protein, 0 carbs, 8 g fat
Protein Shake - 980 cals, 60g protein, 159g carbs, 11g fat
Protein bar - 270 cals, 20g protein, 29g carbs, 9g fat
Lunch - 356 cals, 48g protein, 31g carbs, 5.3g fat
Banana - 89 cals, 1g protein, 23g carbs, 0.3g fat
Banana - 89 cals, 1g protein, 23g carbs, 0.3g fat
Dinner - 328 cals, 32g protein, 31g carbs, 9g fat
Ice cream - 130 cals, 1g protein, 16g carb, 7g fat
Sweet potatoes - 86 calories, 2g protein, 20g carbs, 0g fat
Eggs - 216 cals, 18g protein, 1.2g carb, 15g fat

Total: 3400 cals, 223g protein, 391g carbs, 111g, fat

Bossmoss94

Bossmoss94

Awards
I've been doing 4,000 cals for a week. I'm going up to 5,000 cals today. Do a mass gain shake in the morning and a mass gain shake before you go to sleep. You wanna get big? You gotta eat big! I know the struggle. I have always struggled with trying to put on weight and this past week I can already tell a difference in muscle fullness. Eating 3,000 is barely maintenance. Your testing metabolic rate is probably about that. You need to be above maintenance to make up for the high metabolism. Consistency is key. 4-5k calories EVERY DAY is key. If you do a 1000 cal shakes for breakfast and before you go to sleep, add in oats and use milk. That's added calories. Then you're left with 2,000-3,000 for 3 regular meals, your preworkout meal, and your post workout meal.

Awards
Gotcha, thanks.

The mass gain shake in the evening should be a pretty easy add for an additional 1,000 calories.

Do you think there's a risk of alot of that increased weight coming in the form of fat though?

Awards
Like I'm pretty vascular at 150 right now....nice muscle definition, etc.

Just trying not to lose that definition as I put on some size.

Daycrawler

Awards
  • Established

You'll put on some fat as you eat more, it'll be inveitable.

Awards
Ok, so if I make a few tweaks, I can get to these macros with another mass gain shake:

Calories: 4,000
Protein - 262
Carbs - 500
Fat - 117

The carbs seem pretty damn high....think I should lower them?

HardB0iled

HardB0iled

Awards
  • Established

You and everyone else in the world. Lol. IIf you want to gain substantial weight you can't be afraid of losing a little definition. That's what cutting is for.

How tall are you by the way?

HardB0iled

HardB0iled

Awards
  • Established
Lol I'm 5'11
Damn dude. 5'11" 150 pounds... i'm sure you have definition, you must look like a skeleton. Not trying to be a dick, but you need to start doing some serious eating. The fact that you're concerned about gaining fat and losing definition with those stats is a little concerning.

Awards
Lol must people actually guess I'm 170....they're shocked when I say 150

Bossmoss94

Bossmoss94

Awards
My nutritionist has me trying to get 600-700g Carbs. You're going to lose muscle definition as you get bigger. Once you get to a good weight that you want, then you can worry about maintenance and recomposition to get the definition and vascularity back. You shouldn't put on any "fat" though. If you do it right and have the right training scheme, you should just put on some lean muscle mass.

Bossmoss94

Bossmoss94

Awards
Your protein looks a little high. If you want high protein, just 1.3 to 1.5g/lb of bodyweight. You doing double, your body won't digest it all and use all of it.

gxw

Awards
150 pounds at 5'11" does seem a little low lol you probably don't need to worry about definition when you're bulking, you can cut that off easily at your size

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
If what youre eating currently isnt doing the trick, eat more! 4000kcals is definitely a hefty pull; do you have quite an active job?

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer

Here's what I told some clients in the past.

Whole milk 200 cal
Protein 2 scoops 320 cal
Banana 100 cal
Pb 4 tbs 400 cal

1000 Cals and much cheaper

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
If you cannot take in a meal, pick up a good protein powder, whole milk, banana and PB works great.

This is typically my protocol BUT I recently picked up ProSupps Incredibulk at a phenomenal price and actually like it..

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I found iforce mass gainz to work really well when trying to gain weight.....it might not have a million calories like some but I replace my isolate shakes with it to increase calories, but it also doesn't rely on sugar and crap as a carb source, it's a really well designed weight gainer.....also found when gaining weight that natty pb could be your best friend, a lot of calories crammed into something that won't offset your normal hunger cycle

Awards
Thanks....been on 4,000 for the last 4 days and already feeling the difference

Bossmoss94

Bossmoss94

Awards
If that's 4K of raw GOOD food, at your weight that is a ton my friend haha. Kudos to you.

Epolis13

Epolis13

Awards
I found iforce mass gainz to work really well when trying to gain weight.....it might not have a million calories like some but I replace my isolate shakes with it to increase calories, but it also doesn't rely on sugar and crap as a carb source, it's a really well designed weight gainer.....also found when gaining weight that natty pb could be your best friend, a lot of calories crammed into something that won't offset your normal hunger cycle
Glad you like it. We really wanted to create a gainer that wasn't full of the usual ingredients. It's a great option for anyone and esp those looking for a "healthier" gainer.

brofessorx

brofessorx

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Here's the truth of the matter.
Putting on good quality muscle weight takes time. If you work hard an stay consistent with eat, train, sleep, you will gain. Shoot for 10lbs per year.
Don't get impatient.