Nootropics

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

Nootropics

What combinations do yall use for studying/chillaxing/brain and memory function? Im making my own formula for chillin and have a huge on the job test coming up. I heard the nootropics at the right combo can make you focus real well and also make you feel real relaxe. I have peracitam (sp?) Bought it from here when it was on sale. Takes very little Nd knocks me out for sleeping...

2. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  185 lbs.

SNS Focus XT with Piracetam sounds like fun.
  3. Registered User

I'd look into Focus XT by SNS. It is 2 for 30 bucks on the SNS website, has all your nootropic bases covered, and the flavoring is excellent. Stack it with your piracetam or some aniracetam for good results.
    •   

4. Banned

Piracetam is a glutaminergic drug which effects the acetylcholine system by modulating neuronal calcium influx and upregulating enzymes (acetylcholine transferase) and growth promoting receptors (TrkB). It has nothing to do with focus/attention, which is more related to the reticular activating system and norepinephrine responsiveness.
  5. Registered User

as far as for studying/school purpses:

1 scooop Focus XT
    2g piracetam
    1 Cap SNS Hup A
    1 Cap SNS Picamilon 150

for general around the house chilling, phenibut can be pretty awesome. just not something you wanna use for extended periods of time without taking a break
    iForce Nutrition Online Representative Manager
    iTrain. iCompete. iDominate…iForce!
    www.iforcenutrition.com
  6. Official Genomyx Wizard
    Board Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by madchemist View Post
    Piracetam is a glutaminergic drug which effects the acetylcholine system by modulating neuronal calcium influx and upregulating enzymes (acetylcholine transferase) and growth promoting receptors (TrkB). It has nothing to do with focus/attention, which is more related to the reticular activating system and norepinephrine responsiveness.
    Still good for overall cognitive function tho right? I notice my vocabulary expands when I use piracetam consistently.

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by itzDodge View Post
    Still good for overall cognitive function tho right? I notice my vocabulary expands when I use piracetam consistently.
    yes it is. he was more referring to the fact that ingredients like stimulants are what actually confer focus and alertness. piracetam seems to alter my thought processes in a positive manner (great for writing papers, terrible for interviews)
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  250 lbs.

I've never heard piracetam's MOA summed up that way before, all the writing on it I've come across has led me to believe that there isn't a clear consensus on it's MOA but that it's thought to effect the acetylcholine system in some way. Assuming what you say is true, couldn't piracetam have excitotoxic potential?
  9. Banned

Quote Originally Posted by J19891 View Post
    I've never heard piracetam's MOA summed up that way before, all the writing on it I've come across has led me to believe that there isn't a clear consensus on it's MOA but that it's thought to effect the acetylcholine system in some way. Assuming what you say is true, couldn't piracetam have excitotoxic potential?
    It's MAO has been known for quite some time. It's an allosteric activator of the NMDA receptor, which means it potentiates the receptors activation after neuronal depolarization (i.e. magnesium displacement). It doesn't directly activate the receptor, and therefore would actually be excito-protective --> which is why it has been used in the setting of TBI.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  250 lbs.

It's MAO has been known for quite some time. It's an allosteric activator of the NMDA receptor, which means it potentiates the receptors activation after neuronal depolarization (i.e. magnesium displacement). It doesn't directly activate the receptor, and therefore would actually be excito-protective --> which is why it has been used in the setting of TBI.
    Yeah, I did some googling after reading your posts, my prior research sources apparently sucked. I saw someone else making the case for it being neuroprotective due to its role as an allosteric modulator, but forgive my ignorance, why does it being an allosteric activator make it neuroprotective? If it's potentiating the NMDA receptors activation, wouldn't taking it with glumatine, DAA, or an amphetamine just be a recipe to fry your neurons?
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  250 lbs.

I can see you're right, there are plenty of studies showing that positive allosteric modulators of the NMDA receptor are neuroprotective, I just don't get why. It seems like positive activation of that receptor should mean more calcium ions in the cell.
  12. Banned

Yeah, I did some googling after reading your posts, my prior research sources apparently sucked. I saw someone else making the case for it being neuroprotective due to its role as an allosteric modulator, but forgive my ignorance, why does it being an allosteric activator make it neuroprotective? If it's potentiating the NMDA receptors activation, wouldn't taking it with glumatine, DAA, or an amphetamine just be a recipe to fry your neurons?
    It's excito-protective because it regulates the ionotropic influx frequency. Excitotoxicity generally refers to a particular state, mostly after a TBI, in which the neuron is bathed with glutamate. In this setting, glutamate is free to continually activate the AMPA/NMDA receptors and allow unchecked calcium entry. Free ionized calcium activates proteases and phospholipases which destroy the soma (as well as activating apoptotic enzymes) and cause degeneration or death. This process is tempered by co-activating regulators like D-serine or glycine, along with magnesium. Piracetam effects this cascade by preventing immediate re-activation, and thereby extend the time between calcium influx. In the context of a normal brain, however, it would actually be decreasing the time to re-activation.

Context is everything.
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  250 lbs.

It's excito-protective because it regulates the ionotropic influx frequency. Excitotoxicity generally refers to a particular state, mostly after a TBI, in which the neuron is bathed with glutamate. In this setting, glutamate is free to continually activate the AMPA/NMDA receptors and allow unchecked calcium entry. Free ionized calcium activates proteases and phospholipases which destroy the soma (as well as activating apoptotic enzymes) and cause degeneration or death. This process is tempered by co-activating regulators like D-serine or glycine, along with magnesium. Piracetam effects this cascade by preventing immediate re-activation, and thereby extend the time between calcium influx. In the context of a normal brain, however, it would actually be decreasing the time to re-activation.

Context is everything.
    I understand all that, but what I'm asking is how is it doing that? Why is it tempering the influx of calcium ions in people with TBI, even though its a positive modulator of the NMDA receptor? Why is it preventing reactivation at all?
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  250 lbs.

Wait, I think I get it. So piracetam is an allosteric modulator in that it is exerting it's effect on the cofactors (mg, D-serine, glycine), which are required along with glutamate in order for the neuron to fire. Since piracetam is increasing the cofactors, it is increasing the number of synapses while still preventing an over-accumulation of calcium inside the cell, thereby preventing excitotoxicity. Am I seeing this correctly?
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

I bought some parecetam and I think its called vibracetam and Alpha gpc amazon has some sweet bulk orders. But I will have to check out the focus xt. Sounds like fun. I was trying to put together an ultimate pill with everything in it and I found a combination that sounds pretty sweet.
    L tyrosine, d l phenylalanine, pentothenic acid, paba, dmae, rubidium, tocopherol, beta cerotine, manganese folic acid, copper gluconate, selenium. As an am pill. Then the pm pill will be, niacinmide, taurine, magnesium oxide, perodoxine, niacin, riboflavine, zinc beta cerotine, chromium, b12..... Seems like a good combo..... What yall think?
  16. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'3"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69

yes it is. he was more referring to the fact that ingredients like stimulants are what actually confer focus and alertness. piracetam seems to alter my thought processes in a positive manner (great for writing papers, terrible for interviews)
    Why bad for interviews?
    Athletic Xtreme Team REP
    http://www.AthleticX.net/
    AXHOLE BY NATURE
  17. Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    yes it is. he was more referring to the fact that ingredients like stimulants are what actually confer focus and alertness.
    Correct. The only racetam capable of directly increasing focus is phenylpiracetam.
  18. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by flightposite View Post
    Why bad for interviews?
    I don't know; it seems to make you think a little too much to yourself, rather than thinking outloud. Totally personal experience though, you may well respond quite differently.

Correct. The only racetam capable of directly increasing focus is phenylpiracetam.
    Have you ever used phenylP and was it extremely hit or miss for you?
  19. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'3"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69

I don't know; it seems to make you think a little too much to yourself, rather than thinking outloud. Totally personal experience though, you may well respond quite differently.

I see. Thanks for your response. When I take piracetam with a stim I seem to be a better communicator so for me = good 4 interviews
    Athletic Xtreme Team REP
    http://www.AthleticX.net/
    AXHOLE BY NATURE
  20. Official Genomyx Wizard
    Board Sponsor

I am similar, I actually tend to stumble over my words a lot more when I've dosed piracetam consistently. I thought I was an anomaly in this instance lol, going to go with aniracetam for next semester and see if how I enjoy that.

21. Banned

I've used in the past and it was definitely more stimulating then the other racetams, although inferior to drugs like modafinil, or methylphenidate (at the dose I was using it at).
  22. Registered User

I've used in the past and it was definitely more stimulating then the other racetams, although inferior to drugs like modafinil, or methylphenidate (at the dose I was using it at).
    In terms of stimulation, I agree. It made sleeping very difficult if taken in the evening. I was more referring on your ability to learn while on it. When I used to use it, my brain would just absorb information during some sessions, while not comprehending even the most basic problems (similar to fogginess, though a very different kind of fogginess) during other sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by asalerno89 View Post
    I take alphabrain, tyrosine, and 5-htp daily.

some great stuff.

check out onnitlabs.com for the alpha brain its probably the best nootropic available, also quite pricey
    Yet another stellar post from you!
  23. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by asalerno89 View Post
    thanks, I have a lot more information on zazenlife.com if you are interested!
    search: The ultimate supplement stack
    Eh, you missed some sarcasm
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

Bump, back to my question..... Dont mean to interupt............. But would someone amswer my question on what they think....
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by madds87
    I bought some parecetam and I think its called vibracetam and Alpha gpc amazon has some sweet bulk orders. But I will have to check out the focus xt. Sounds like fun. I was trying to put together an ultimate pill with everything in it and I found a combination that sounds pretty sweet.
    L tyrosine, d l phenylalanine, pentothenic acid, paba, dmae, rubidium, tocopherol, beta cerotine, manganese folic acid, copper gluconate, selenium. As an am pill. Then the pm pill will be, niacinmide, taurine, magnesium oxide, perodoxine, niacin, riboflavine, zinc beta cerotine, chromium, b12..... Seems like a good combo..... What yall think?
    Heres what I asked....
  26. Official Genomyx Wizard
    Board Sponsor

In terms of stimulation, I agree. It made sleeping very difficult if taken in the evening. I was more referring on your ability to learn while on it. When I used to use it, my brain would just absorb information during some sessions, while not comprehending even the most basic problems (similar to fogginess, though a very different kind of fogginess) during other sessions.
    How about you send me some, I'll take a crack at deriving a mathematical equation for turbulence and we'll make our decisions based on whether or not I get a million dollars?

27. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  250 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by madds87 View Post
    Heres what I asked....
    lol Yeah sucks to have your thread derailed. It all looks good to me, I take piracetam and pantothenic acid religiously and I've played around with the alpha gpc, but mostly I just stick with the basic choline bitartrate. Don't expect piracetam to be like that drug from the movie "Limitless", or for it to be anything like a stimulant. You honestly won't even notice it, and you're likely to think you got ripped off the first few times you take it. There's no "buzz" to it, and there really isn't a distinct feeling you get apart from perhaps somewhat lower anxiety while taking it.

After about two weeks of taking it consistently (I tend to take a bit more than the recommended dosage), think back and see if you don't feel like you've been a bit more "on your game" than usual. I know that I tend to retain information much better, recall things quicker, and I have praying mantis ninja reflexes while on it. It's effects are subtle but profound if you're introspective and know how to appreciate them.

Good luck. Understand that most of the benefits you get from cognition are going to be attributable to the alpha gpc and the piracetam. Hopefully you fall in love with that combo the way I did.
  28. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by J19891

lol Yeah sucks to have your thread derailed. It all looks good to me, I take piracetam and pantothenic acid religiously and I've played around with the alpha gpc, but mostly I just stick with the basic choline bitartrate. Don't expect piracetam to be like that drug from the movie "Limitless", or for it to be anything like a stimulant. You honestly won't even notice it, and you're likely to think you got ripped off the first few times you take it. There's no "buzz" to it, and there really isn't a distinct feeling you get apart from perhaps somewhat lower anxiety while taking it.

After about two weeks of taking it consistently (I tend to take a bit more than the recommended dosage), think back and see if you don't feel like you've been a bit more "on your game" than usual. I know that I tend to retain information much better, recall things quicker, and I have praying mantis ninja reflexes while on it. It's effects are subtle but profound if you're introspective and know how to appreciate them.

Good luck. Understand that most of the benefits you get from cognition are going to be attributable to the alpha gpc and the piracetam. Hopefully you fall in love with that combo the way I did.
    Thank you. Ill try em out and should love it. My body is sensitive to stuff like that.
  29. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by itzDodge View Post
    How about you send me some, I'll take a crack at deriving a mathematical equation for turbulence and we'll make our decisions based on whether or not I get a million dollars?
    I'd hate to be responsible for someone's insanity, but when I'm back at school (3 weeks) PM me your addy and I'll send you a little.
  30. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.

This stuff sounds amazing....
    RecoverBro ELITE
  31. Registered User

I have mentioned this product a few times --Chaotic Labz MALICE.

The mental aspect of that product is unreal. 1 pill.

stacked with EndoAMP max (PS & AGPC) + AndroDrive (dhea + preg + 7,8benzo)

-Matt
    Buy IronMagLabs products and SAVE with matt15

Buy BlackStone Labs product and SAVE with matt10

32. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by MattPorter
    I have mentioned this product a few times --Chaotic Labz MALICE.

The mental aspect of that product is unreal. 1 pill.

stacked with EndoAMP max (PS & AGPC) + AndroDrive (dhea + preg + 7,8benzo)

-Matt
    Matt, thats your combo huh? What you get out of it. Has itbecome a staple?
  33. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  255 lbs.

1 scoop of focus XT plus 3-4 grams of piracetam and then slowly sip a little more caff(coffee,energy drink,green tea,etc..) is probably one of if not my favorite stack for learning,studying,researching, etc..
    SeriousNutritionSolutions:::
    online rep
  34. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

It sounds extreme. Lol
  35. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  144 lbs.

One of my favorite "stacks", back in 2004-5, was to take a 1/2 teaspoon and pour the following on my tongue, chased with a swig of orange juice before going to work:

oxiracetam
    centrophenoxine
    bacopa monnieri
    rhodiola rosea
    ALCAR

Along with a couple caps of ashwagandha.

This would be on an empty stomach in the morning. On my commute in, I'd sip on a bottle of Mt. Dew Code Red. Man, I'd feel a little euphoric by the time I got in, and I'd have focus and enthusiastic energy for at least a solid 3 hours.

I'm not sure how that impacted immediate cognition, as this was after I decided I was done with school, but it was around this time that I began to have success memorizing certain things. At the time, I got myself to memorize my check card number, expiration and security code, as well as the numbers of a few local pizza places (before online ordering became vogue).

Nothing has made me more razor-sharp focused than adderall, but that's not practical. However, when I briefly used that, it was more of a short-term memory prep, as it was only used on the day of mid-terms or finals.

DS Craze, with which I have been recently acquainted, has really enabled me with a focused, can-do mindset. After I do my morning exercise, it's still working up to 4-5 hours later, and I'm keeping myself on task. I'm willing to bet that if I had something like Craze back in '98-00, I'd have actually gotten a degree.

As far as chillin' / relaxin', I am of no help. Anything I take to increase brainpower, focus, or memory, just makes me either quiet, "squinty" (like the term Booth calls the lab people on the show, 'Bones'), or maybe a little bit happy or too enthusiastic. This is great for the job, where people rely on me to come through, but in the social realm, it's of no value. I don't suddenly become a brilliant orator like all the fictional kids on Dawson's Creek, nor do I feel totally at ease or put people at ease. I'm better off just having a nice, cold stout or porter, and putting my feet up.
  36. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by madds87 View Post
    Matt, thats your combo huh? What you get out of it. Has itbecome a staple?
    First off -- the Malice is amazing (this company needs to sponsor by the amount posts I write about it) It must be something else in it because from the ingredient list --- it just doesnt add up to the way I feel. The PEA's must be quadruple dosed!

EndoAMP is just great all around -- cortisol, memory, mood etc....

AndroDrive will just increase your mood even more with dhea and preg for your brain,

-Matt
    Buy IronMagLabs products and SAVE with matt15

Buy BlackStone Labs product and SAVE with matt10

37. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.

I just finished my finals last week and I had many last night study sessions. My go to study/focus supps were: Huperzine A, Adrena G, PLCAR, and sometimes Focus XT for the additional kick.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions rep
  38. Registered User

Can anyone shed some light on this post? Any issues with Piracetam + DAA? Thank you
  39. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  250 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by mattrag View Post
    This stuff sounds amazing....
    It really is, IMO. It's also worth mentioning that I believe it works better for people who are already intellectual.

Again, you shouldn't expect it to alter your mood very much, which makes it hard to notice it's effects unless you're neurotic, self-analyzing and/or somewhat introverted. This is a compound that directly effects cognition for the most part, whereas something like adderall seems to effect cognition but it exerts it's influence indirectly by influencing mood.

Of course qualifying drugs in terms of mood is subjective and not exactly scientific, so it's best to just try it out first hand.
  40. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.

SNS Focus XT, N2KTS, Rezolution and the prewo powerhews give me a nice focus i use half-1full dose. or just take the following:
    1g ALCARE
    3g TAURINE
    300mg DMAE
    100-200mg caffein
    n some tyrosin
    LG Sciences Board Rep
    These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, do not constitute medical advice, and are not official or authorized comments by LG Sciences, LLC.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. nootropics
    By djbombsquad in forum Supplements
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-29-2010, 04:07 PM
  2. Nootropics?
    By Warhead in forum Supplements
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-14-2009, 09:38 AM
  3. Nootropics?..i need help please.
    By airram479 in forum Supplements