What BCAA do you guys recommend and is it necessary?

strongman24

Awards
What BCAA do you guys recommend and is it necessary?

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
I've been using Monster Amino from Cytosport.......it's and 8:1:1 ratio so it's heavy on the Leucine and Leucine peptides. The best part is the taste, most of the BCAA formulas w/o flavoring taste like crap....and the ones with flavor have extra carbs in them if you are trying to avoid carbs. This stuff has 1 carb a scoop and still actually tastes good (at least the grape and punch flavors taste good to me). I would advocate taking a decent shot of BCAA post workout separate from your protein. I believe they absorb better and are best utilized that way. You can find much cheaper versions of course, non-name brand, not sure of the quality or the taste though. I have used Optimum Nutritions BCAA as well in the past. ON's is a 2:1:1 and is unflavored. I do not work for cytosport btw lol....

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
RecoverPro or Xtend.

Lexagon

Lexagon

Awards
1. RecoverPro
2. Xtend

Both are great I just prefer the RecoverPro! :)

Srt4Muscle

Srt4Muscle

Awards
ive recently been reading people think some products are being underdosed, so this worried me. i was in the same postion you are last week, after alot of research i desided to buy in bulk, 1 kilo for me lol. ill deal with the taste when i gets here but for the price of a 1 month supply i got 1000 grams of 2:1:1. i know recently we're supposed to be leaning toward 4 to 1 or 8 to 1 or even 10 to 1 but i wanted to keep it simple. granted i still cant test the potency but i feel much better about a bulk purchase in this case. so im recommending you do the same. find a bulk supplier get your own and mix it with some crystal light or something. i ordered a bunch of stuff in bulk and im just gonna try and make my own supplement. im probably not the first to try this so wish me luck lol

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
To answer your second part of your question, no it is not necessary. Xtend tastes good. I hear the same about RecoverPro.

gwulbrecht72

Awards
I've seen a lot of the talk of underdosed supplements as well, so I went and bought some Modern BCAA (it's 8:1:1 as well); mixes really well and the white blue razz tastes pretty good, and after everything that I've read/heard about the instability of glutamine, I like that it's got sustamine in it.

evandem27

evandem27

Awards
RecoverPro -lemonade is my favorite of all time! Taste and effectiveness wise

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
I've seen a lot of the talk of underdosed supplements as well, so I went and bought some Modern BCAA (it's 8:1:1 as well); mixes really well and the white blue razz tastes pretty good, and after everything that I've read/heard about the instability of glutamine, I like that it's got sustamine in it.
grape is good too

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
BCAA's still have use even when your diet and protein intake is on par.

Effects of supplemental protein on body composition and muscular strength in healthy athletic male adults

Nutraceutical Effects of Branched-Chain Amino Acids on Skeletal Muscle

Influence of branched-chain amino acid supple... [J Am Coll Nutr. 2006] - PubMed - NCBI

I am a fan of the Modern BCAA due to the high leucine content because leucine is the star BCAA, but taking only leucine is not necessarily just the answer. And its the only BCAA I have taken that doesnt give me "leucine mouth", I term i am starting which describes the nasty chalky taste some leucine powder leaves in your mouth

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
I purchased few tubs of modern iBCAA currently on discount. The taste is terrible and it would not be my first choice. There is another thread about the taste and seems many who purchased that batch complaining about the taste as well. You can taste the bitter powder. Xtend tastes 10x better. But since I have few tubs of this and I only use it during workouts, I will add crystal lites to it to mask the flavor.

taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
BCAA's still have use even when your diet and protein intake is on par.

Effects of supplemental protein on body composition and muscular strength in healthy athletic male adults

Nutraceutical Effects of Branched-Chain Amino Acids on Skeletal Muscle

Influence of branched-chain amino acid supple... [J Am Coll Nutr. 2006] - PubMed - NCBI

I am a fan of the Modern BCAA due to the high leucine content because leucine is the star BCAA, but taking only leucine is not necessarily just the answer. And its the only BCAA I have taken that doesnt give me "leucine mouth", I term i am starting which describes the nasty chalky taste some leucine powder leaves in your mouth
Damn, Natty stepping up STRONG as usual!!!!!!!!! :)

PrepNwa23

PrepNwa23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I usually go with whatever is cheaper and you really couldn't beat AI's Black Friday sale was dirt cheap for RecoverPro, so i have a lot of RecoverPro and I still have lots of ModernBCAA's when they were on sale. I don't mind the taste of both, i hear some people complain with ModernBCAA's but oh well. Things like Xtend was to sweet for me, i used to like LG's BC+EAA cause the taste was mild.

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I purchased few tubs of modern iBCAA currently on discount. The taste is terrible and it would not be my first choice. There is another thread about the taste and seems many who purchased that batch complaining about the taste as well. You can taste the bitter powder. Xtend tastes 10x better. But since I have few tubs of this and I only use it during workouts, I will add crystal lites to it to mask the flavor.
What flavor? I like the blueberry.

The unflavored + crystal light works too, if you find one of the good crystal light flavors. Some are gross

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is interesting also:

Increasing Dietary Leucine Intake Reduces Diet-Induced Obesity and Improves Glucose and Cholesterol Metabolism in Mice via Multimechanisms

http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/56/6/1647.abstract
Thats why I like the high leucine ratios

Surprised Modern BCAA can be sold at the cost its sold at, leucine prices are insane. I dont expect high ratio BCAAs like modern to remain the cost they are...unless the companies are fine selling them at cost.

The kilo for $29.99 is nuts

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
What flavor? I like the blueberry.

The unflavored + crystal light works too, if you find one of the good crystal light flavors. Some are gross
it is the Grape Bubble Gum that they are selling at a discount due to accidentally adding coloring agent. I added grape crystal light but it still tasted like medicine. I'll live with it, it is still better than unflavored but no where near other brands unless the discounted one also had the wrong flavoring agent and they did not tell us.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I pretty much exclusively use Body Mortar and Body Mortar Carb Free from AMS. Though I change it up to others if I see a good sale to break up monotony and add other favors. Not sure if am ready to jump on the 8:1:1 yet and stick with 4:1:1.

Side note AMS is coming out with a new carb free version that has some added goodies such as electrolytes. Something I've been pushing for, for a long time. I also participate in a lot of endurance races so I'm huge on BCAAs and supplemental electrytes. Now I'll be able to get them in one product

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
I pretty much exclusively use Body Mortar and Body Mortar Carb Free from AMS. Though I change it up to others if I see a good sale to break up monotony and add other favors. Not sure if am ready to jump on the 8:1:1 yet and stick with 4:1:1.

Side note AMS is coming out with a new carb free version that has some added goodies such as electrolytes. Something I've been pushing for, for a long time. I also participate in a lot of endurance races so I'm huge on BCAAs and supplemental electrytes. Now I'll be able to get them in one product
You remember those Ajinomoto Amino Vital BCAA RTD's? They were like G2, fruit flavored but low cal with some potassium in them....but they also featured a BCAA blend. Tasted good and had BCAA and electrolytes, but were expensive as hell.

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
NutraPlanet BCAA's (1 Kilo)

Great Value: Grape Drink Mix

That is $42 for a kilo of grape flavored 2:1:1 BCAA's - not l-glutamine or citrulline malate...etc, etc...just BCAA's!

Or of course this - Bulk Modern BCAA (1 kg)

but this is in no way anything other than a discounted price for a manufacture defect. Still great!
8:1:1

and leucine prices have tripled in the last 6 months....

correct on the defect all be it a simple one and minor one...The educated consumers wins at the end of the day.

sidoious

sidoious

Banned
Awards
  • Established
it is the Grape Bubble Gum that they are selling at a discount due to accidentally adding coloring agent. I added grape crystal light but it still tasted like medicine. I'll live with it, it is still better than unflavored but no where near other brands unless the discounted one also had the wrong flavoring agent and they did not tell us.
I personally think you're too harsh on the description of the taste. If anything, it's a very weak flavor of grape, but it's not intolerable like you describe. Even if it was unflavored like Nutra's bulk aminos it's still a great deal for the blend! I respect your opinion however; although I must also respectfully disagree with it.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It does have a great grape flavor. At first I thought it was a little bitter but it grows on you. The bulk modern bcaa that is. The taste also depends on how much water you use. I have been using 40 oz for 3 level tablespoons and it tastes alright.

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you are looking for super artificial and super sweet this deal is not for that consumer...

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I personally think you're too harsh on the description of the taste. If anything, it's a very weak flavor of grape, but it's not intolerable like you describe. Even if it was unflavored like Nutra's bulk aminos it's still a great deal for the blend! I respect your opinion however; although I must also respectfully disagree with it.
We've improved on the flavors....wait until you try the watermelon and they Fruit punch...all natural flavor..

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
For those looking for a leucine product, SNS bulk leucine is very affordable and gets the job done at 1 scoop. Add it to anything, it's flavorless.

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
Im almost finished with my last bottle of xtend and them im gonna start digging into my modernBCAA from the sale. You all have me a little nervous on the flavor, tho. During the inner circle release i picked up the deal for both flavors. I dont remember either of them being bad, but there was one i really enjoyed. I just cant remember which! lol

Srt4Muscle

Srt4Muscle

Awards
Thats why I like the high leucine ratios

Surprised Modern BCAA can be sold at the cost its sold at, leucine prices are insane. I dont expect high ratio BCAAs like modern to remain the cost they are...unless the companies are fine selling them at cost.

The kilo for $29.99 is nuts
this is one of the reasons i bought bulk from somewhere else, that price just doesnt add up.

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
I'm going by my taste, and agreed people will have different opinions.

sidoious

sidoious

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Big fan of the bulk ModernBcaa, taste isn't as overpoweringly sweet or cloying as some of the other mixes out there! Regular ModernBcaa is just right!

Srt4Muscle

Srt4Muscle

Awards
I meant surprisingly cheap
well what you were saying was 29.99 sounds pretty damn close to cost at that ratio, last time i heard companies dont just sell their products at cost. especially when they know they have a good product. now with a product defect then fine, but thats a special circumstance. thats all im saying :)

gymrat827

Awards
  • Established
Xtend, old verison, yes its worth the money for it.

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
well what you were saying was 29.99 sounds pretty damn close to cost at that ratio, last time i heard companies dont just sell their products at cost. especially when they know they have a good product. now with a product defect then fine, but thats a special circumstance. thats all im saying :)
when these runs where produced, Leucine was 3x cheaper.

You'll see and taste the leucine in the product...it is pretty evident...

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
For those looking for a leucine product, SNS bulk leucine is very affordable and gets the job done at 1 scoop. Add it to anything, it's flavorless.
Flavorless?....Leucine has an inherent flavor to it's chemical makeup...

Unless you are sourcing from the leucine magic factory:)

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Flavorless?....Leucine has an inherent flavor to it's chemical makeup...

Unless you are sourcing from the leucine magic factory:)
While there are unique undertones, I detect no "flavor." I can add it to crystal light and not notice that leucine is in there.