responders and non-responders - AnabolicMinds.com

responders and non-responders

  1. Dan
    New Member
    Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Age
    29
    Posts
    137
    Rep Power
    193

    Reputation

    responders and non-responders


    Acute Creatine Monohydrate Supplementation: A Descriptive Physiological Profile of Responders vs. Nonresponders.

    Syrotuik DG, Bell GJ.


    Faculty of Physical Education and Recreation, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada.

    Syrotuik, D.G., and G.J. Bell. Acute creatine monohydrate supplementation: a descriptive physiological profile of responders vs. nonresponders. J. Strength Cond. Res. 18(3):610- 617. 2004.-The purpose of this study was to describe the physiological profile of responders (>20 mmol.kg(-1) dry weight [dw] increase in total intramuscular creatine monohydrate [Cr] + phosphorylated creatine [PCr]) versus nonresponders (<10 mmol.kg(-1) dw increase) to a 5-day Cr load (0.3 g.kg(-1).d(-1)) in 11 healthy men (mean age = 22.7 years). Pre-post 5-day cellular measures included total resting Cr content (Cr + PCr), fiber type composition, and fiber type cross-sectional area (CSA) determined from muscle biopsies of the vastus lateralis. Body mass, daily dietary intake, 24-hour urine outputs, urinary Cr and creatinine (CrN), and strength performance measures (1 repetition maximum [1RM] bench and leg press) were also assessed before and after the 5-day loading period. Results indicated that there were 3 levels of response to the 5-day supplementation: responders (R), quasi responders (QR), and nonresponders (NR) with mean changes in resting Cr + PCr of 29.5 mmol.kg(-1) dw (n = 3), 14.9 mmol.kg(-1) dw (n = 5), and 5.1 mmol.kg(-1) dw (n = 3), respectively. The results support a person-by-treatment interaction to acute Cr supplementation with R possessing a biological profile of lowest initial levels of Cr + PCr, greatest percentage of type II fibers, and greatest preload muscle fiber CSA and fat-free mass. Responders also showed improvement in 1RM leg press scores following the 5-day loading period. NR had higher preload levels of Cr + PCr, less type II muscle fibers, small preload muscle CSA, and lower fat-free mass and displayed no improvements in 1RM strength scores. The results suggest that to be considered a responder to acute oral supplementation, a favorable preexisting biological profile may determine the final extent to which an individual responds to supplementation. Physiologic profiles of nonresponders appear to be different and may limit their ability to uptake Cr. This may help partially explain the reported equivocal performance findings in the Cr supplementation literature.

    PMID: 15320650 [PubMed - in process]

  2. Advanced Member
    DragonRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    542
    Rep Power
    470

    Reputation

    I was a non responder to creatine untill I raised the dose.
    I have to take 15 grams a day in three divided doses as a maintenance level to get the effects.
    I believe the recommended mainenance dose is too low for most BB's especially if you weigh over 200lbs.
  3. Dan
    New Member
    Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Age
    29
    Posts
    137
    Rep Power
    193

    Reputation

    The body can't actually absorb 5g of creatine at once. It's believed that the reason you get better results at higher dosages is due to the fact that you are taking it more than once a day, so the body is able to absorb more.
    •   
       

  4. The Godfather of NUTRAPLANET
    stryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Age
    37
    Posts
    3,962
    Rep Power
    2805

    Reputation

    If the body can't absorb 5gm than how much can it absorb?
  5. Dan
    New Member
    Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Age
    29
    Posts
    137
    Rep Power
    193

    Reputation

    I would expect it depends on the individual. I once heard that guys in the NFL take 3g a day. Additionally, the newer forms of creatine like 2CM or CEE are effective at dosages of 5g (split dosing) a day or less.
  6. Diamond Member
    T-Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    15,938
    Rep Power
    4568194

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    The body can't actually absorb 5g of creatine at once. It's believed that the reason you get better results at higher dosages is due to the fact that you are taking it more than once a day, so the body is able to absorb more.


    Thats ****ing ridiculous!. The reason for non-responders is a problem geting the creatine into the muscle cells. You are make a very bold, but ludicris statement. Most creatine products come with at least a 5g serving!. Don't even try to argue because you won't win!. You must have been high when you posted that!
  7. Dan
    New Member
    Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Age
    29
    Posts
    137
    Rep Power
    193

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone
    Thats ****ing ridiculous!. The reason for non-responders is a problem geting the creatine into the muscle cells. You are make a very bold, but ludicris statement. Most creatine products come with at least a 5g serving!. Don't even try to argue because you won't win!. You must have been high when you posted that!
    Look tough guy, read the thread. I never said this was the reason for non-responders, I said that 5g servings of creatine are not necessary as the body is incapable of absorbing 5g of creatine at one time. People on this board post in a civil manner and get the facts straight before they flame, let's try and keep it that way.
  8. Diamond Member
    T-Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    15,938
    Rep Power
    4568194

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    Look tough guy, read the thread. I never said this was the reason for non-responders, I said that 5g servings of creatine are not necessary as the body is incapable of absorbing 5g of creatine at one time. People on this board post in a civil manner and get the facts straight before they flame, let's try and keep it that way.
    Sorry thats just not fact.
  9. Banned
    hogiejoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Age
    32
    Posts
    250
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    lets see, why would companies make there servings more than necesary? it is pretty easy to figure out. i have read that some people take something like 5, 2 mg servings a day with good results.
  10. Advanced Member
    DragonRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    542
    Rep Power
    470

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    The body can't actually absorb 5g of creatine at once. It's believed that the reason you get better results at higher dosages is due to the fact that you are taking it more than once a day, so the body is able to absorb more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    I would expect it depends on the individual. I once heard that guys in the NFL take 3g a day. Additionally, the newer forms of creatine like 2CM or CEE are effective at dosages of 5g (split dosing) a day or less.
    This doesn't make sense, because using your words, I am still only responding because I get a total of 9 grams a day.
    5 grams three times a day with the body absorbing only 3 grams each time is still 9 grams total per day to see any effects.
  11. Diamond Member
    T-Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    15,938
    Rep Power
    4568194

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Yes well Dan is COMPLETELY WRONG!
  12. Dan
    New Member
    Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Age
    29
    Posts
    137
    Rep Power
    193

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonRider
    This doesn't make sense, because using your words, I am still only responding because I get a total of 9 grams a day.
    5 grams three times a day with the body absorbing only 3 grams each time is still 9 grams total per day to see any effects.
    Yea I know what you mean, I was simply saying that 5 gms is more than you need at once... even though this doesn't really matter since creatine is dirt cheap anyhow. I don't know how this got blown out of proportion, you guys are taking this totally the wrong way. The whole reason I started this post was to let people see the study, but it looks like this post went waaaay off on a tangent.
  13. Advanced Member
    DragonRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    542
    Rep Power
    470

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    [size=4] The results suggest that to be considered a responder to acute oral supplementation, a favorable preexisting biological profile may determine the final extent to which an individual responds to supplementation. Physiologic profiles of nonresponders appear to be different and may limit their ability to uptake Cr. This may help partially explain the reported equivocal performance findings in the Cr supplementation literature.

    PMID: 15320650 [PubMed - in process]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    [b][size=4]The whole reason I started this post was to let people see the study, but it looks like this post went waaaay off on a tangent.
    I wouldn't say way off.
    I was simply disagreeing with the study's findings based upon my personal experience of responding at levels higher than is typically accepted.
  14. The Godfather of NUTRAPLANET
    stryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Age
    37
    Posts
    3,962
    Rep Power
    2805

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonRider
    This doesn't make sense, because using your words, I am still only responding because I get a total of 9 grams a day.
    5 grams three times a day with the body absorbing only 3 grams each time is still 9 grams total per day to see any effects.
    You are considering the total gm taken/day whereas Dan is talking about cumulatively taking the same amount through divided doses...

    So let's say (hypothetically) this theory is correct. Taking a 10 gm serving 1 x day would yield a total assimilation of 3 gm/day in contrast to taking 3 gm 3 x day yielding a total of 9 gm...
  15. Advanced Member
    DragonRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    542
    Rep Power
    470

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by stryder
    You are considering the total gm taken/day whereas Dan is talking about cumulatively taking the same amount through divided doses...

    So let's say (hypothetically) this theory is correct. Taking a 10 gm serving 1 x day would yield a total assimilation of 3 gm/day in contrast to taking 3 gm 3 x day yielding a total of 9 gm...
    Actually, I'm saying it HAS to be taken in divided doses throughout the day irregardless of how much the body assimilates at one time. I don't make an argument anywhere for 1 dose a day at any amount. My argument is that the recommended maintainance dose has always been too low.

    Dan's study is saying (if you respond), one 3gm dose a day will suffice even if you are a pro football player ranging in weight from 240 to 340. So, essentially it doesn't matter if you are a 150lb amateur bodybuilder or a 340lb linebacker, 3gm total per day will jack you.
    And Dan is saying that if you take 10gms at once you will still only assimilate 3gms for the day. I don't know, so I have no input on that point. My argument there was that if I assumed he was correct, I still have to take 3 servings a day before I see any benefits.
  16. The Godfather of NUTRAPLANET
    stryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Age
    37
    Posts
    3,962
    Rep Power
    2805

    Reputation

    I see what you're saying, but what I got from Dan was that the body cannot absorb 5 gm at one sitting, but the reason or misconception of responders getting the good results was not the dosing but rather the frequency...isn't it funny how two people can hear the exact thing and get varying interpretations
  17. Board Supporter
    MaDmaN's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Age
    55
    Posts
    990
    Rep Power
    20134

    Reputation

    Funny thing I have read about responders and non responders and it seems like everything else body type may have something to do with it..

    I never noticed any difference taking 5 grams of monohydrate all it seemed to do is make me a little puffy,but I took it anyway..Now im taking Turbo V-12 by San and this product is noticable difference..After 1 week im fuller thicker and more vascular im sure the other ingredients are helping as well.The tri-creatine Malate seems to work for me..Im not one to boast about a supplement unless I see results..V-12 works
  18. Board Supporter
    meathead1987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Age
    27
    Posts
    796
    Rep Power
    523

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by MaDmaN
    Funny thing I have read about responders and non responders and it seems like everything else body type may have something to do with it..

    I never noticed any difference taking 5 grams of monohydrate all it seemed to do is make me a little puffy,but I took it anyway..Now im taking Turbo V-12 by San and this product is noticable difference..After 1 week im fuller thicker and more vascular im sure the other ingredients are helping as well.The tri-creatine Malate seems to work for me..Im not one to boast about a supplement unless I see results..V-12 works
    Its dicreatine malate. Tricreatine malate cannot exist.

    God knows how San can advertise their product has a product that is actually impossible to make.
  19. Board Supporter
    MaDmaN's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Age
    55
    Posts
    990
    Rep Power
    20134

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by meathead1987
    Its dicreatine malate. Tricreatine malate cannot exist.

    God knows how San can advertise their product has a product that is actually impossible to make.

    The point here is that it works
  20. Board Supporter
    wastedwhiteboy2's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,988
    Rep Power
    3012

    Reputation

    I had read also that the body can only absorb so much creatine at a time. I also got that doses spread throughout the day were best. I think I read it on an advertisement for CEE. so it may not be correct?
  21. Dan
    New Member
    Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Age
    29
    Posts
    137
    Rep Power
    193

    Reputation

    From what I've heard, CEE works better because it has far higher bioavailability in the gut than monohydrate.
  22. Advanced Member
    julius kelp's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    762
    Rep Power
    520

    Reputation

    i took a bunch of creatine when it first came out & nothing happened until i started mixing it with a good quantity of simple sugars. i immediatedly bloated up.
  23. The Godfather of NUTRAPLANET
    stryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Age
    37
    Posts
    3,962
    Rep Power
    2805

    Reputation

    Noticed the same...first creatine I tried was Phosphagen HP and the results were amazing as far as size and strength, tried the pure monohydrate (mixed with water) and didn't notice much of anything. Interested to see how Custom's CEE pans out...
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Creatine Mono responder, CEE non-responder
    By CryingEmo in forum Supplements
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-25-2007, 06:49 PM
  2. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-07-2005, 05:15 PM
  3. Iraqi PM Allawi Attacked by Kerry; Bush and Repubs Respond
    By kwyckemynd00 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-26-2004, 05:03 PM
  4. v-12 turbo or swole? Non-responder
    By swoody in forum Supplements
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 08-19-2004, 02:18 PM
  5. PH non-responder's 1st M1T Cycle log
    By raytrade in forum Cycle Info
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-28-2004, 11:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in