I feel this needs to be posted - Me, My Brain, and ALCAR

Page 1 of 11 1236 ... Last
  1. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.5%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

I feel this needs to be posted - Me, My Brain, and ALCAR

I have been a long-time user of ALCAR and have always loved it. I used it consistently before studying or training for the major focus effects, but I was also aware of its other benefits like neuroprotection. Well recently (as in, 2 months ago), I changed my ALCAR dosing. Rather than taking it sporadically whenever I needed a boost, I use 1-2g every day, split into 1g doses. Over the past 2 months, I have noticed a vast change in my life and I really want to help others realize just how significant this ingredient is.

From my consistent usage, I have noticed a DRAMATIC increase in sharpness and memory. As far as school goes, I need far less time to get my assignments done. I am notorious for making silly mistakes in math exams/homework etc...I always get the concepts but the silly mistakes kill me. Well, in the past 2 months, I have lost a total of 1 point in my math class. I'm not saying this to brag, but my point is that this has never occurred in the past: my study habits quite literally haven't changed one bit. In fact, a 2nd consecutive 100% on a very long math exam (not multiple choice; just tons of calculations) prompted me to write this because I feel that others stand to benefit from this as well. To put it simply, I feel sharp and focused all the time, and can recall things from memory with more ease than ever.

But there are other things I've noticed too -- major things. I still drink occasionally, and when I drink, it's usually quite a bit. During the following days, or even the entire following week, I feel foggier. ALCAR seems to reverse these effects if taken at 2g prior to drinking as I have. This makes sense scientifically as well, as ALCAR is demonstrated to help prevent alcohol-induced neurodegeneration.

I have also been bulking the past few months. I'm not sure if it's the ALCAR or other factors, but I have kept fat at a reasonable level despite eating a "dirty" diet. ALCAR may indeed aid with staying lean.

Finally, something I've been enjoying: vivid, and even LUCID, dreams. The mental stimulation caused by ALCAR likely causes this, and it is awesome.

I can't stress enough that these benefits did not manifest themselves until I used ALCAR continuously at 1-2g/day, rather than sporadically.

This may not sound like "all that" to a bodybuilder, but please realize just how important the mind is to bodybuilding. I feel sharper, I feel happier, I feel on-top-of-things. I sleep better. ALCAR has made my life better, and if that doesn't affect bodybuilding, I don't know what does.

Anyway, that's my story. Just wanted to get the word out because this ingredient does not get nearly the amount of love that it should. A true staple for me.

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.31%
    Achievements Posting Pro

excellent post, I will definitely pick some up
  3. PESCIENCE.com
    Stats
    6'0"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.32%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

If I was using ALCAR daily i would take an anti-oxidant. It has shown to have pro-oxidant effects at very high doses. Whether this translates to 1-2g per day I am not sure, but always better safe than sorry.

Also don't just depend on ALCAR. The only part of ALCAR doing anything for memory or cognition is the acetyl group. It cleaves as soon as it hits the stomach, and having more acetyl groups available may allow for more production of acetylcholine.

But knowing this, it is essential to supplement a choline with it to get more of the spectrum. Then you can get tricky and add an AChE inhibitor here and there
    Amino-IV - Not Your Average Amino
    SELECT Protein
    - Ultra-Premium Blend
    ALPHAMINE - Thermogenics...Redefined
    •   

4. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.5%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by nattydisaster View Post
    If I was using ALCAR daily i would take an anti-oxidant. It has shown to have pro-oxidant effects at very high doses. Whether this translates to 1-2g per day I am not sure, but always better safe than sorry.

Also don't just depend on ALCAR. The only part of ALCAR doing anything for memory or cognition is the acetyl group. It cleaves as soon as it hits the stomach, and having more acetyl groups available may allow for more production of acetylcholine.

But knowing this, it is essential to supplement a choline with it to get more of the spectrum. Then you can get tricky and add an AChE inhibitor here and there
    Indeed Natty. I do focus xt at a scoop every other day and will dose Hup A during exam time. However, the benefits that I mentioned above truly came to light once I started dosing the ALCAR continuously, ceteris paribus.

Na-R-Ala = best antioxidant with ALCAR IMO, just don't take them together or they polymerize.
  5. PESCIENCE.com
    Stats
    6'0"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.32%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Indeed!
    Amino-IV - Not Your Average Amino
    SELECT Protein
    - Ultra-Premium Blend
    ALPHAMINE - Thermogenics...Redefined
  6. Official Genomyx Wizard
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.51%

brb updating cart

7. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.59%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

I take 1-2g daily also, sometimes i miss a day here or there. I deff love it too. I would use focus xt if it didnt give me headaches and sometimes a huge crash.
  8. Official Genomyx Wizard
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.51%

Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou321 View Post
    I take 1-2g daily also, sometimes i miss a day here or there. I deff love it too. I would use focus xt if it didnt give me headaches and sometimes a huge crash.
    That was most likely a result of sensitivity to vinpocetine or caffeine but thats a duh.

9. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.59%

Quote Originally Posted by itzDodge View Post
    That was most likely a result of sensitivity to vinpocetine or caffeine but thats a duh.
    Not the caffiene, probably just to much for my poor brain to handle lol
  10. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.5%

Not the caffiene, probably just to much for my poor brain to handle lol
    A huge crash from Focus XT is odd as the nootropics actually seem to help me ease off the stimulants. On the flip side, that's a lot of mental stimulation .
  11. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.59%

Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    A huge crash from Focus XT is odd as the nootropics actually seem to help me ease off the stimulants. On the flip side, that's a lot of mental stimulation .
    I thinks its more of a crash from my brain working so hard not the caffiene lol, it doesnt feel like a caffiene crash at all.
  12. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.38%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Great Info ITT... Thanks!
    ~SNS~ Serious Nutrition Solutions- Rep
    Cortisol control:ReduceXT/Test Boost:DAA (bulk&caps)/Pump/N.O.:Agmatine(bulk & caps)/Test/sleep support:ZMA **RB** Est Post #22
  13. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.45%

Is alcar best taken on an empty stomach or can it mixed in with a protein shake? It's very acidic.
  14. Official Genomyx Wizard
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.51%

I thinks its more of a crash from my brain working so hard not the caffiene lol, it doesnt feel like a caffiene crash at all.
    If it wasn't the caffeine then most likely it was the vinpocetine

Quote Originally Posted by Pinch
    Vinpocetine may improve glucose utilization and blood flow in brain tissue, but even more likely than that is it will give you a headache. Itís basically a cerebral vasodilator, which inhibits adenosine reuptake and cGMP (a second messenger involved in vasodilation) degradation, prolonging vascular relaxation without affecting peripheral cardiovascular parameters. (23) It will probably make you feel a little weird, perhaps even dizzy, but I tend to avoid it. In short, I hate it and I donít even call it a nootropic.

15. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.67%

What!!!! I've been taking alcar and Na-R Ala together. Polymerization does what exactly?
  16. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.5%

Quote Originally Posted by southpaw23 View Post
    Is alcar best taken on an empty stomach or can it mixed in with a protein shake? It's very acidic.
    I notice the acute focus effects slightly faster on an empty stomach, but as far as the consistent usage, timing doesn't matter. It is, after all, a cumulative effect.

Quote Originally Posted by tunnelrat View Post
    What!!!! I've been taking alcar and Na-R Ala together. Polymerization does what exactly?
    Define taking them together. I was literally putting Na-R-Ala in my focus XT shakes at one point, and the entire shake turned white and flaky. I'm not exactly sure what they polymerize into, but keep in mind that ALCAR is Acetyl-L-Carnitine HCL.
  17. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.67%

I notice the acute focus effects slightly faster on an empty stomach, but as far as the consistent usage, timing doesn't matter. It is, after all, a cumulative effect.

Define taking them together. I was literally putting Na-R-Ala in my focus XT shakes at one point, and the entire shake turned white and flaky. I'm not exactly sure what they polymerize into, but keep in mind that ALCAR is Acetyl-L-Carnitine HCL.
    Every morning on an empty stomach, I wash down 2 grams of alcar with water, followed by 2 Alpha T-2 and 2 Na-R Ala caps. I was just concerned that dosing them together would affect their efficacy or something.
  18. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.5%

Quote Originally Posted by tunnelrat View Post
    Every morning on an empty stomach, I wash down 2 grams of alcar with water, followed by 2 Alpha T-2 and 2 Na-R Ala caps. I was just concerned that dosing them together would affect their efficacy or something.
    Try taking the Na-R-Ala half an hour before your ALCAR. Na-R-Ala has a very long half-life (17-22 hours) so don't worry if you don't take it at exactly the same time as ALCAR. This probably isn't an issue, but just play it safe .
  19. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.67%

Try taking the Na-R-Ala half an hour before your ALCAR. Na-R-Ala has a very long half-life (17-22 hours) so don't worry if you don't take it at exactly the same time as ALCAR. This probably isn't an issue, but just play it safe .
    Thank you sir!!!
  20. New Member
    Stats
    5'4"  123 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37.63%

Love this post. Cy > all.
  21. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.89%

Very interesting read man. How does this look?

1-2g/day ALCAR
    3/day 120mg Ginkgo Biloba and 5mg Vinpocetine
    3/day 250mg Bacopa Monnieri Extract (BaCgonize)
    Cutting all summer, cycle in September
  22. Official Genomyx Wizard
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.51%

Quote Originally Posted by T50 View Post

1-2g/day ALCAR
    Add in 500-1000mg of Citicoline per day and that stack should have your brain feelin pretty sharp

23. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  196 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.14%

How would ALCAR stack with Alpha Lipoic Acid?

Are there purity issues to be concerned with when buying ALCAR. I.E. NOW vs SNS etc.
    ~ Serious Nutrition Solutions ~
    Ask me about Reload. Free SNS for your labels
    Rhadam [@] seriousnutritionsolutions.com
  24. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.5%

Quote Originally Posted by T50 View Post

1-2g/day ALCAR
    To be perfectly honest, I have never used the herbal cognitive enhancers so my experience there is limited. The vinpocetine dose is fine if you respond well to it. As Dodge said, you may want to consider adding a choline source. I do not dose my choline every day like I do with the ALCAR. 2-4 times per week at a respectable daily dose seems to do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhadam View Post
    How would ALCAR stack with Alpha Lipoic Acid?

Are there purity issues to be concerned with when buying ALCAR. I.E. NOW vs SNS etc.
    Read page 1, we talked about timing the Na-R-Ala a bit. ALCAR can become a pro-oxidant is used very heavily, and while dosing like this probably does not reach that level, it is better to play it safe. I don't use Na-R-Ala every single day, but dosing it with a high carb meal in the morning, and then taking my ALCAR at any point in the day besides exactly at the same time as the Na-R-Ala (due to possible polymerization issues) seems to be the way to go. I have no doubt that both NOW and SNS are high quality ALCAR sources.
  25. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  196 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.14%

Read page 1, we talked about timing the Na-R-Ala a bit. ALCAR can become a pro-oxidant is used very heavily, and while dosing like this probably does not reach that level, it is better to play it safe. I don't use Na-R-Ala every single day, but dosing it with a high carb meal in the morning, and then taking my ALCAR at any point in the day besides exactly at the same time as the Na-R-Ala (due to possible polymerization issues) seems to be the way to go. I have no doubt that both NOW and SNS are high quality ALCAR sources.
    Ah, k just went back and read it. Posted my question only after reading the original post. Do you think that Na-R-Ala is a viable addition for an overall health benefit stack with ALCAR? I can't really get in to the library effectively to look for clinical evidence supporting R-Ala usage as this wireless connection is beyond horrible. Seems as though both Na-R-Ala and ALCAR have anecdotal reports of supporting lean tissue gain and fat loss promotion.
    ~ Serious Nutrition Solutions ~
    Ask me about Reload. Free SNS for your labels
    Rhadam [@] seriousnutritionsolutions.com
  26. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97.05%

Nice post. I feel like Alcar (sns is only brand ive used) definitely helps me with sharpness & staying lean too, but just out of curiosity, being that you said you're on a bulk, do you think that the calorie increase may affect cognitive function as well? Are you taking any other supps for the bulk, that you werent taking before?
  27. Official Genomyx Wizard
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.51%

Quote Originally Posted by BULLS View Post
    Nice post. I feel like Alcar (sns is only brand ive used) definitely helps me with sharpness & staying lean too, but just out of curiosity, being that you said you're on a bulk, do you think that the calorie increase may affect cognitive function as well? Are you taking any other supps for the bulk, that you werent taking before?
    Cyrus is pretty anal about everything (I say this with love ) so I don't think he would of made this thread had he thought there was a possibility it was a combo of things he randomly introduced.

28. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.5%

Quote Originally Posted by Rhadam View Post
    Ah, k just went back and read it. Posted my question only after reading the original post. Do you think that Na-R-Ala is a viable addition for an overall health benefit stack with ALCAR? I can't really get in to the library effectively to look for clinical evidence supporting R-Ala usage as this wireless connection is beyond horrible. Seems as though both Na-R-Ala and ALCAR have anecdotal reports of supporting lean tissue gain and fat loss promotion.
    Yes, Na-R-Ala is fantastic for overall health. Na-R-Ala, ALCAR, and Agmatine are actually my three favorite supplements to use on top of the basics like creatine, fish oil, etc...

The evidence supporting Na-R-Ala and ALCAR's effects on body composition is purely theory or anecdotal, which is why I am hesitant to give full credit to them, but I'd say Na-R-Ala can definitely alter body composition if used long-term, as it is pretty much the best OTC GDA on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by BULLS View Post
    ALCAR is the only major change I introduced with respect to cognition. I have bulked in the past and never experienced anything like this, but there is no doubt that the increase in calories (particularly carbs) is aiding cognitive function. This brings up a new idea: can ALCAR prevent the "foggy" feeling on a cut?

Quote Originally Posted by itzDodge View Post
    Cyrus is pretty anal about everything (I say this with love ) so I don't think he would of made this thread had he thought there was a possibility it was a combo of things he randomly introduced.
    Haha this is true. I have eased up a ton as of late due to a busy semester, but I am a huge proponent of keeping everything constant when introducing a new supplement/dosing protocol in order to see how you respond to it.
  29. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.24%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by schizm View Post
    Great Info ITT... Thanks!
    indeed!
    Serious Nutrition Solutions | Online Representative
    Growth Factor XT-GROW! Need Cycle Support? Check out Liver XT.
    Follow SNS on Facebook for more promos!
  30. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.5%

Just got my DS Craze in today. I wonder how ALCAR stacks with Craze .
  31. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.59%

Just got my DS Craze in today. I wonder how ALCAR stacks with Craze .
    Still have yet to buy this, cant wait to see how it treats you.
  32. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.28%

Where do you get yours at?
  33. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.5%

Quote Originally Posted by titanman31 View Post
    Where do you get yours at?
    I use SNS ALCAR for the capped convenience.
  34. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.28%

Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69

I use SNS ALCAR for the capped convenience.
    What would you need to take to help digestion best? And thanks not a bad price at SNS
  35. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.5%

What would you need to take to help digestion best? And thanks not a bad price at SNS
    Not sure what you're asking: digestion of just food in general? Digestive enzymes I guess
  36. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.28%

Not sure what you're asking: digestion of just food in general? Digestive enzymes I guess
    I ment to utilize Al-car, or does your body absorb it well enough?
  37. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.5%

I ment to utilize Al-car, or does your body absorb it well enough?
    It is utilized perfectly fine. I like to use Na-R-Ala on the day I use ALCAR for the antioxidant properties.
  38. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.28%

It is utilized perfectly fine. I like to use Na-R-Ala on the day I use ALCAR for the antioxidant properties.
    Thanks for the help on that.. how much would you think is in focus xt?
  39. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.5%

Thanks for the help on that.. how much would you think is in focus xt?
    My guess is as good as yours, but in a 9.8g prop blend its the 3rd ingredient so it is pretty hefty. Ancedotally speaking, it FEELS like 1g but I'm not positive on that.
  40. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.28%

My guess is as good as yours, but in a 9.8g prop blend its the 3rd ingredient so it is pretty hefty. Ancedotally speaking, it FEELS like 1g but I'm not positive on that.
    Bad A thanks how do I rep on here with my phone lol

Similar Forum Threads

1. Just switched to sub-Q TRT from IM. Will keep everyone posted
    By lucky in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-12-2010, 03:20 PM
  2. I Have Brain Eating Bugs In My Brain !!!
    By anabolicrhino in forum General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-07-2007, 12:37 AM
  3. Posted by PA on bb.com
    By larmenta in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-11-2003, 03:45 AM
  4. getting old (just posted on MM)
    By Skye in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-21-2003, 12:42 PM