Sipping protein shakes/shots vs chugging it?

rqtball

Awards
Is there any difference nutritional wise? I know both ways it gets into your system but is it better to get into your system all at once or spread throughout the day for its effects to work.

Scott

GHO5T

Awards
Just take your protein shakes throughout the day whenever you feel will help you hit your macros. How fast you drink it (whether sipping or chugging) is irrelevant.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
Only time I can see this maybe being an issue is if you have a crap ton of maltodextrin or sugars in the shake as well..in which case chugging vs sipping might cause a differential response for insulin secretion.. just speculation though.

rqtball

Awards
Thank you...That is what I was wondering, bothers my stomach when I take it all at once but no issues when I sip it throughout the day..wasnt sure if I was getting the same benefits from it over drinking it all at once.

Scott

808shredded

Awards
  • Established
Just read about it in muscular dev. Research proven is to chug it down. Read article online at muscular development.

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just read about it in muscular dev. Research proven is to chug it down. Read article online at muscular development.
Oh god, I can only image the science backing the "chug it down" method lol.

rochabp

rochabp

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
lol who knew?

808shredded

Awards
  • Established
Read it. It's in this month muscular development. I am no chemist so I read things that will affect my goals in bodybuilding. I will try things that was research and tested. It takes the guess work from me and that is how I learn and progress.

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Key words: Muscular Development.

And no i won't be picking up this month's issue to hear the latest broscience.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Only time I can see this maybe being an issue is if you have a crap ton of maltodextrin or sugars in the shake as well..in which case chugging vs sipping might cause a differential response for insulin secretion.. just speculation though.
Nah, not really.

It's okay to learn new tricks
They are probably talking about spiking blood amino levels. Newsflash: amino acids in protein are not free form and it takes a long time even for whey to be absorbed.

CDMMA

CDMMA

Awards
Just take your protein shakes throughout the day whenever you feel will help you hit your macros. How fast you drink it (whether sipping or chugging) is irrelevant.
Nah, not really.

They are probably talking about spiking blood amino levels. Newsflash: amino acids in protein are not free form and it takes a long time even for whey to be absorbed.
:wave:

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i didn't read the article, but this is proven, and is something we learn in sports nutrition.

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Key words: Muscular Development.

And no i won't be picking up this month's issue to hear the latest broscience.
i think you have it the other way around, look at the bottom of those various articles, they list the data based journal the article is cited in.

always best though to read the article as well as the study, cause the article is someone interpretation of said study. you may see it differently. (well, that is, if you actually know how to scrutinize data based studies).

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
the science has to do with how the digestive system absorbs it.

sipping can cause cramping, as well as less efficiant absorbtion.

no, im not going to get the research for you, you can go look it up yourself, or find your nearest exs or sports nutrition text book as well as learn how the digestive system works.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thank you...That is what I was wondering, bothers my stomach when I take it all at once but no issues when I sip it throughout the day..wasnt sure if I was getting the same benefits from it over drinking it all at once.

Scott
You have a post workout protein shake? Yes. You drink it ALL at once. You don't "sip it "throughout the day".

When you eat your lunch do you eat ALL of it at lunch or do you nibble on it throughout the afternoon?

Daycrawler

Awards
  • Established
Nah, not really.

Well.

It's much more beneficial to sip your protein. This is because once you're done working out, the anabolic window can close quickly so it's important to slowly sip on the shake in order to prolong the length of said "anabolic window" time frame. IN doing so, your protein synthesis levels will continue to be higher then normal allowing these amino acids to remain in your bloodstream longer. The benefit of this is an increase in lean muscle mass growth versus "slamming" your protein shake which would close the anabolic window more quickly. Something that a bodybuilder does not want at all.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
Well.

It's much more beneficial to sip your protein. This is because once you're done working out, the anabolic window can close quickly so it's important to slowly sip on the shake in order to prolong the length of said "anabolic window" time frame. IN doing so, your protein synthesis levels will continue to be higher then normal allowing these amino acids to remain in your bloodstream longer. The benefit of this is an increase in lean muscle mass growth versus "slamming" your protein shake which would close the anabolic window more quickly. Something that a bodybuilder does not want at all.
Really?....really? lol

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
i think you have it the other way around, look at the bottom of those various articles, they list the data based journal the article is cited in.

always best though to read the article as well as the study, cause the article is someone interpretation of said study. you may see it differently. (well, that is, if you actually know how to scrutinize data based studies).
Editorials on research articles are usually so far off from what the study actually showed. Blows my mind sometimes what some editorial writers say was based off a study they read.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Editorials on research articles are usually so far off from what the study actually showed. Blows my mind sometimes what some editorial writers say was based off a study they read.
Great point.

Daycrawler

Awards
  • Established
Really?....really? lol
Yeah man. If you want to keep those gains while on your Hdrol cycle, you should sip not chug those shakes.

Blergs

Blergs

Awards
  • Established
i ususlly take in eachdrink in 3-4 chugs and in under 30 min. i have 4X 50-60g shakes a day.

808shredded

Awards
  • Established
I usually try out myself on things that they research about, like diet and nutrition. And if what they say doesn't work for me, that goes flying out the kitchen window. Lol..

Colbert

Colbert

Awards
intra-workout sip with added carbs

Post-workout chug