pre workouts waste of money?

B

bigcat292

Awards
it feels like i get immune to the and am just wasteing my money. What do you guys think?

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Whens the last time you took a break from stims?

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Pre w/o help me a lot.

Although some coffee, ginseng, fruit &/or carbs is the natural way.

BigGunn

BigGunn

Awards
OK, this why we added NADH as our "stimulant" in our intra-workout supplement ERGO-BLITZ. You grow immune/ desensitized to the effects of stimulants over time. Now I do usually drink a cup of coffee before I train, but with the ERGO-BLITZ, no matter how much caffeine I have prior to training- I don't crash- and the amount of caffeine I need to get neurologically aroused is much less.

http://www.cabergolean.com/collections/frontpage/products/ergo-blitz

How does NADH provide the brain with more energy you ask?

The energy within our bodies is produced when hydrogen and oxygen react to form water and energy. NADH is the biological form of hydrogen present in our cells and oxygen comes from the air we breathe. The energy produced from this reaction is stored as a chemical compound, ATP (adenosine triphosphate).

You would certainly agree that if you had a deficiency in oxygen that oxygen supplementation would be mission critical right!? Well NADH is the other side of that equation: No oxygen- no ATP. No hydrogen- no ATP. No ATP- no energy. Pretty simple right!

NADH also affects general cognitive function by stimulating the production of adrenaline and dopamine, both of which are essential for our cognitive performance and memory. NADH has been clinically proven to improve cognitive function in sleep deprived adults (Virre, 48th International Congress of Aviation and Space Medicine, 2000). And unlike waking up to a big cup of coffee and then feeling like Monday morning’s garbage before noon again- NADH carries out its effects on cognitive function in a much different capacity than caffeine or other stimulants do.

Caffeine and the other stimulants release adrenaline (also called epinephrine) from the nerve cells. This triggers a quick boost in adrenaline. You are less tired and more alert; however, only for a very short time. The next cup of coffee will not give you the same boost as the first one because your adrenaline pool in the nerve cells has been emptied. If the pool of adrenaline in your central nervous system is totally depleted, you can drink as much coffee as you want but you will not get any more boost.

NADH on the other hand stimulates the biosynthesis of adrenaline, and due to this, fills the pool of adrenaline in the central nervous system. This is the essential prerequisite for caffeine to become active.

In addition, NADH increases the real ATP energy in the cells. With more energy the nerve cells produce not only more adrenaline and dopamine but also serotonin and other components necessary for good performance. NADH is the only substance which has been shown to increase cellular energy. Coffee and “energy supplements” do not increase cellular energy, in fact they do nothing but release adrenaline from nerve cells and are therefore mere stimulants.

F

frank29

Awards
I personally think they are

a caffeine pill and L-Tyrosine and some whey protein is all you really need.

C

Clickster

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Preworkout products are actually one of my favorite type of product. I feel like I don't want to workout if I am not on one. haha.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Preworkouts = more energy, pumps, better feeling overall = pushing yourself harder at the gym = better gains than normal

not even going into the 'science' of these products.

Eizbear

Eizbear

Awards
  • Established
I just read about Super Size.. Sounds intriguing!
It sure is, with it's new novel ingredients It sure will not be anything you have experienced before.. .Wasting money ? Well we're just about to start a massive giveaway (giving away products for over 50,000$), so why not try your chances there and get one for free ?

New novel stimulants, free product = WIN WIN!! Just saying!

C

Clickster

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
For you bro? Shoot me your addy. ;) with 14gr of actives per scoop, nothing comes close.
That is very awesome of you! I really appreciate it. Thanks.

PM Sent.

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
it feels like i get immune to the and am just wasteing my money. What do you guys think?
No, not at all when used correctly. You need to take time off of stimulants or you'll simply build a tolerance and not see much of an effect (like what's happening to you now). I typically use a pre workout for a month, then take 3-4 weeks off. Everyone is different and some will lose the tolerance faster than others. I had some of my best training while using SAN Fierce; the creatine nitrate + l-aspartic acid had me training like a mad man.

Blergs

Blergs

Awards
  • Established
dont over use stimes and you shoudl not have an issue.
i rec ASGT and N2KTS

Blergs

Blergs

Awards
  • Established
No, not at all when used correctly. You need to take time off of stimulants or you'll simply build a tolerance and not see much of an effect (like what's happening to you now). I typically use a pre workout for a month, then take 3-4 weeks off. Everyone is different and some will lose the tolerance faster than others. I had some of my best training while using SAN Fierce; the creatine nitrate + l-aspartic acid had me training like a mad man.
yep so i alternate ASGT and N2KTS or another every couple weeks, and dont over use them.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't use them at all. I'd rather use an intra-workout product without stims when I have the money for it, but pre-workout products I never use. I don't need to take stimulants to work out, I enjoy working out. Taking all those stimulants before exercising never made any sense to me. More negatives to taking stimulants than positives.

crackerdoctor

crackerdoctor

Awards
For you bro? Shoot me your addy. ;) with 14gr of actives per scoop, nothing comes close.
Damn, must be good if you're sending him a trial. Is it better than Super Pump Max? That's the cleanest/strongest I've taken.

bakerderek0

bakerderek0

Awards
  • Established
OP. cycle off for 1.5 times the duration you have using preworkouts non-stop. I usually cut out caffiene completely during this time. It sucks...

C

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You are only wasting your money if they are not working for you.

On a side note, if you are getting use to them quick, it sounds as if your tolerance is built to the max. You may want to consider coming off of stimulants and switching to a non-stimulant based pre-workout. Something like hemavol can be of great use for you as it is non-stim and relies on other mechanisms to boost workouts. It has a very complete profile and tastes very good; always gets tons of great reviews. Def worth a look imo. You can also look into Revamp to help heal your tolerance to stimulants.

Mike

Sourdough

Sourdough

Awards
I don't use them at all. I'd rather use an intra-workout product without stims when I have the money for it, but pre-workout products I never use. I don't need to take stimulants to work out, I enjoy working out. Taking all those stimulants before exercising never made any sense to me. More negatives to taking stimulants than positives.
I agree... the only time I take stimulants is when Im cutting to boost lipolysis and curb appetite. I dont like even taking them preworkout as it usually makes me sick to my stomach, have to crap half way through my workout or kills my pumps and bloodflow seemingly OR all the above....

I really like preworkout drinks that DONT have stims that provide natural fuel and help speed intra set recovery and post workout nutrition uptake...

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'd die without mine! I take it only when I work out, so it takes a real long time to develop a tolerance for me. Sure, I don't get drugged-out tunnel vision anymore, but honestly that's probably for the best, and the stuff still works incredibly well at the gym.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I guess it really depends on the product. If its just loaded up with stimulants than I wouldn't care for it. Some stimulant type products work well for me but don't leave me feeling cracked out. Most I've tried do have me feeling like I'm on some kind of drug though. Then again I have not tried a lot. Maybe I'll try more in the future at half doses just to see if I'm really missing something. Hey even a 1/4 dose, at least it will last a long time that way.

JudgementDay

JudgementDay

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I need to get myself some Revamp, stims don't do much for me anymore.

Sourdough

Sourdough

Awards
I guess it really depends on the product. If its just loaded up with stimulants than I wouldn't care for it. Some stimulant type products work well for me but don't leave me feeling cracked out. Most I've tried do have me feeling like I'm on some kind of drug though. Then again I have not tried a lot. Maybe I'll try more in the future at half doses just to see if I'm really missing something. Hey even a 1/4 dose, at least it will last a long time that way.
You know I recently tried a sample of AI's maniac and it seemed to work very well and didn't have me stimmed at all, I had to look at the packet a second time when I got home just to double check there was anything even in there... Seemed to work great too, contemplating getting an entire tub.... Recover pro on the other hand isn't for me, I much prefer ams body mortar, flavoring is twice as good and it mixes better...

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Fierce, brother. try it. :)

G

GHO5T

Awards
Op-
You might want to look into taking a probiotic like Gut Health. it could help with being more sensitive to stims and not getting use to them as fast

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
A good stim/stim combo helps me to have a better training session, better training session means accelerated progress. I also make sure I have BCAA's in mine as well for MPS and other benefits. Then there's things like the nootropics in Focus XT that help with focus and coordination which certainly has a benefit for me as well. Granted, a pre doesn't do the lifting for me but it does help a little and that's what I shoot for.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
What about ultra reps and. Super size mix

M

mblanch8970

Awards
My favorite preworkout is MusclePharm Assault. I liked jack3d before but got a terrible crash right after workouts and felt terrible the rest of the day. Assault is the way to go IMO

G

GTB

Awards
My favorite preworkout is MusclePharm Assault. I liked jack3d before but got a terrible crash right after workouts and felt terrible the rest of the day. Assault is the way to go IMO
I like Assault, I am using Muscle Marinade right now (strong). Jack3d is overhyped imo. I'M going stim free going to try Hemavol.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I like Assault, I am using Muscle Marinade right now (strong). Jack3d is overhyped imo. I'M going stim free going to try Hemavol.
How the marinade?

G

GTB

Awards
I like it alot. Read some post/loggers say how strong it was and I was like whatever. I bought the grape for 50%(taste like sh**), however if your were lacking motivation to get into the gym Marinade is the cure. It is definitely not your everyday pre w/o.

Milspec

Milspec

Awards
How the marinade?
I'm one week into the marinade, like it better than NOXPLOD and jack3d. I can feel more stim from it, but I absolutely never take it after 5p. Getting solid workouts from it. Plus I've been using it before my long runs on the weekend...training for a half, have no issues running 5 miles after a full serving.

M

MrDeadlift

Awards
I had mixed effects from most of the pre workouts I have tried in the past. I used to alternate between pre workouts that are heavy on stims and those that are light on stims. In most cases I don't care much about the stimulants as I am usually very motivated and committed to the gym and always get my mood on. That said, a cup of black coffee does the job for me.

I think the best benefit from these type of supps is the stamina, endurance, and recovery effect I get. It makes a lot of difference in my overall workout especially when I left very heavy (low reps, high sets). I am on Bulldozer XL5000 now, and love the results. I also like the extra pumps I get. The last two I tried Monster Pump and SuperPump didn't make much difference.

Reactions: GTB
G

GTB

Awards
I'm one week into the marinade, like it better than NOXPLOD and jack3d. I can feel more stim from it, but I absolutely never take it after 5p. Getting solid workouts from it. Plus I've been using it before my long runs on the weekend...training for a half, have no issues running 5 miles after a full serving.
How is the Marinade working out for you? It took me a couple of trys to get the right dose. One scoop is my sweet spot, anything more than that and I don't play nice at the gym. The stuff makes me want to tear sh** up

Masciaman

Masciaman

Awards
bro i'd also recommend CRAZE. I felt the same way you do until i tried this and it COMPLETELY changed my mind

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
bro i'd also recommend CRAZE. I felt the same way you do until i tried this and it COMPLETELY changed my mind
Crazed has been getting some confounding feedback as of late. Some say it's great, others say it's weird, while others say its more of a cognition enhancer then energy enhancer.

P

PVL

Banned
Awards
Crazed has been getting some confounding feedback as of late. Some say it's great, others say it's weird, while others say its more of a cognition enhancer then energy enhancer.
best pre workout for me is 3-4 cups of strong coffee, a can of tuna and a large glass of milk...........

I find these pre workouts are just overhyped and give people an amphetamine high rather than working out naturally and training your brain and body to work hard on its own.........

there isnt any supplement that replaces hard work........

Milspec

Milspec

Awards
How is the Marinade working out for you? It took me a couple of trys to get the right dose. One scoop is my sweet spot, anything more than that and I don't play nice at the gym. The stuff makes me want to tear sh** up
It's actually working great for me...my body takes stimulants fairly well (I typically don't get jittery from them), I have however cut back the amount of coffee I drink during the day... used to drink two cups in the morning and one cup at 2p...now I just have one cup in the morning and the marinade at 3:30, then hit the gym at 4:15.

I use just a wee bit under a full scoop, which seems to be just right. Outside of my core and abs warmup, I find myself consistently lifting for an hour and a half straight and feel strong throughout. The key for me is to limit my daily caffeine, the first serving I took was on a day when I drank coffee throught the day...I still didn't get jittery with the marinade, but dam, couldn't go to sleep until 1am...when I usually hit it at 9p.

Reactions: GTB
G

GTB

Awards
It's actually working great for me...my body takes stimulants fairly well (I typically don't get jittery from them), I have however cut back the amount of coffee I drink during the day... used to drink two cups in the morning and one cup at 2p...now I just have one cup in the morning and the marinade at 3:30, then hit the gym at 4:15.

I use just a wee bit under a full scoop, which seems to be just right. Outside of my core and abs warmup, I find myself consistently lifting for an hour and a half straight and feel strong throughout. The key for me is to limit my daily caffeine, the first serving I took was on a day when I drank coffee throught the day...I still didn't get jittery with the marinade, but dam, couldn't go to sleep until 1am...when I usually hit it at 9p.
That's good stuff! What flavor do you have? I got grape, and I am hoping the other flavors are better.

Milspec

Milspec

Awards
That's good stuff! What flavor do you have? I got grape, and I am hoping the other flavors are better.
I have the Purus Punch, which I'd say has an interesting flavor to it, but I like it. I usually went with Noxplode grape which I thought was tasty, but for a supp, I feel the punch is just as "okay" tasting as anything else lol.

One thing I really do like, is it doesn't have that "carbonated" taste to it...when I run, I'd take noxplode, and usually start burping it up around mile 2....really awesome...I don't have this problem with the marinade.

G

GTB

Awards
best pre workout for me is 3-4 cups of strong coffee, a can of tuna and a large glass of milk...........

I find these pre workouts are just overhyped and give people an amphetamine high rather than working out naturally and training your brain and body to work hard on its own.........

there isnt any supplement that replaces hard work........
There is some truth to that, some people just like the buzz, or in the case of Beta Alanine(the tingles). I got some Hemavol(stim free) enjoying the pumps.

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
Strength went up instantly first two weeks of Craze then went back to normal. I really like Craze though, so far my preferred pre workout. I have a sample of white flood that I will try next week.

But tonight, I'm going to try Smelling Salt. Some powerlifters use it for extra kick in the gym. I will try it tonight to see the impact it makes if any.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The original assault made me sick to my stomach. Haven't tried the new assault yet.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've changed my mind on this. Been try a few different sample packs of pre-workouts. So far I haven't found one that I think is worth purchasing a whole bottle. Launch 4350 is close though, if it didn't have nitrates I would be purchasing it. Drive made me feel like I was on drugs. Supersize makes me sleepy. Fierce makes me sleepy. Anything with nitrates makes me want to sleep. Cryoshock is pretty good but didn't last for more than 20 minutes and isn't carb free.