BCAAs .. Do they need to be taken as stand alone supp?

Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  1. New Member
    useyourhead's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    69
    Rep Power
    105
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    16.43%

    BCAAs .. Do they need to be taken as stand alone supp?


    This may seem like an elementary question, but hopefully someone can give me a solid answer. I've never really worried much about taking BCAAs outside of those naturally occurring in my protein powder. Is there a substantial benefit to taking BCAAs on their own as opposed to the 15-20G I am getting a day in protein shakes?

  2. Diamond Member
    mr.cooper69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,667
    Rep Power
    6857186
    Level
    99
    Lv. Percent
    43.38%
    Achievements Posting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by useyourhead View Post
    This may seem like an elementary question, but hopefully someone can give me a solid answer. I've never really worried much about taking BCAAs outside of those naturally occurring in my protein powder. Is there a substantial benefit to taking BCAAs on their own as opposed to the 15-20G I am getting a day in protein shakes?
    Not much unless cutting in a heavy deficit.
  3. PESCIENCE.com
    nattydisaster's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    10,378
    Rep Power
    3916500
    Level
    85
    Lv. Percent
    46.33%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    Not much unless cutting in a heavy deficit.
    This
    Amino-IV - Not Your Average Amino
    SELECT Protein
    - Ultra-Premium Blend
    ALPHAMINE - Thermogenics...Redefined
    •   
       

  4. New Member
    josephd79's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    188
    Rep Power
    314
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    48.96%

    Just to add my 2 cents. I found this quote:

    During resting periods when other fuel sources, such as carbohydrates and fats, are available they spare the BCAA's from oxidation, leaving them available for use in protein synthesis which is what you want them to do - serve you by building muscle. The important thing is that although BCAA's account for only about 20% of the total amino acids in a protein meal they account for 50-90% of the total amino acids released into general circulation to be taken up by the muscles. BCAA's are the most abundant amino acids incorporated into muscle protein and make up 1/3 of this muscle.
    They are also heavily catabolized (broken down and used for energy) during exercise. These 2 reasons plus the fact that the body can't make it's own BCAA's increases the need for BCAA's for athletes. {END QUOTE}

    Though you're getting them from your protein sources, the amounts of BCAAs could be lower than you calculate. Some protein supplements specifically add BCAA's on top of the normal amount. They definitely don't hurt by adding them to your diet or preworkout drink. Xtend is a top seller across many online supp stores for a reason, but there are less expensive versions of BCAAs out there to try.
  5. New Member
    useyourhead's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    69
    Rep Power
    105
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    16.43%

    thanks guys. ill prob still keep taking a scoop pre or intra work out but that is about it.
  6. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    47
    Posts
    31,888
    Rep Power
    852764
    Level
    95
    Lv. Percent
    49.84%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by useyourhead View Post
    thanks guys. ill prob still keep taking a scoop pre or intra work out but that is about it.
    it does seem to help with recovery taking it that way
  7. Elite Member
    criticalbench's Avatar
    Stats
    5'1"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,824
    Rep Power
    767475
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    53.44%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    I've found bcaa's and eaa's to be highly valuable when dieting and bulking. Had made tremendous differences for me.

    Mike
  8. New Member
    sofargone561's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    36
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    5
    Lv. Percent
    85.27%

    i dont know any sciene behind it but i always put then in my drink druring my W/o
  9. Senior Member
    808rebel's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,079
    Rep Power
    1643
    Level
    25
    Lv. Percent
    55.38%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    Not much unless cutting in a heavy deficit.
    i used to agree with this completely. But after taking BCAAs intra-workout, I realized that I recover quicker and I experience slightly better stamina throughout my workout..
    -It's not about what you're doing, it's about how you're doing it.
  10. New Member
    sofargone561's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    36
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    5
    Lv. Percent
    85.27%

    Quote Originally Posted by 808rebel View Post
    i used to agree with this completely. But after taking BCAAs intra-workout, I realized that I recover quicker and I experience slightly better stamina throughout my workout..
    i agree with this
  11. Board Sponsor
    Clickster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,509
    Rep Power
    211242
    Level
    39
    Lv. Percent
    85.95%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by 808rebel View Post
    i used to agree with this completely. But after taking BCAAs intra-workout, I realized that I recover quicker and I experience slightly better stamina throughout my workout..
    I also experience this. Good post.
    I'm Back...
  12. AK DoubleWide 47
    AutoKal47's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,331
    Rep Power
    40544
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    70.5%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    If I had to pick only one supplement would be BCAA

    I remember the day i started megadosing them, it was one of those "oohhh-moment"
    it's probably the sup that makes the most difference for me, for everything
    recovery, endurance, strength.. It the base for everything else for me, the essential.

    The ones contained in whey proteins are not the same as BCAA in free form
    PS: to be noted that I'm always dieting..

    my 2c
    ..:: ENHANCED BODY FORMULATIONS ::..
    Recompadrol & AAV2 - PM me with any questions

  13. New Member
    sofargone561's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    36
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    5
    Lv. Percent
    85.27%

    anybody recomend a bcaa? the one i have now i like especially becuase it was lik 30 bucks came with a dick load of servings and buy one get one free sale.
  14. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    47
    Posts
    31,888
    Rep Power
    852764
    Level
    95
    Lv. Percent
    49.84%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by sofargone561
    anybody recomend a bcaa? the one i have now i like especially becuase it was lik 30 bucks came with a dick load of servings and buy one get one free sale.
    Recoverpro is inexpensive and the flavor is spectacular
  15. New Member
    josephd79's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    188
    Rep Power
    314
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    48.96%

    Nutraplanet has 500Grams for $25. If you already have a preworkout, adding a scoop of this powder would be the most cost effective.

    I've found the pills from other brands need too many at once. Like some are 6 caps for 3000mg of Leucine. The flavorless powders tend to not mix too well, but it's not bad. I think I said Xtend is a top seller for a reason. It mixes well and tastes great but is a little on the pricey side, for just BCAAs and Glutamine. (another MUST have, along the same lines of BCAAs).
  16. New Member
    sofargone561's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    36
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    5
    Lv. Percent
    85.27%

    Quote Originally Posted by josephd79 View Post
    Nutraplanet has 500Grams for $25. If you already have a preworkout, adding a scoop of this powder would be the most cost effective.

    I've found the pills from other brands need too many at once. Like some are 6 caps for 3000mg of Leucine. The flavorless powders tend to not mix too well, but it's not bad. I think I said Xtend is a top seller for a reason. It mixes well and tastes great but is a little on the pricey side, for just BCAAs and Glutamine. (another MUST have, along the same lines of BCAAs).
    i dont like xtend for the fact its big money for little servings i already have a pre workout and a huge tub of glutamine i was just looking for most cost affective BCAA supp
  17. AK DoubleWide 47
    AutoKal47's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,331
    Rep Power
    40544
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    70.5%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by sofargone561 View Post
    anybody recomend a bcaa? the one i have now i like especially becuase it was lik 30 bucks came with a dick load of servings and buy one get one free sale.
    I do 3kg of bulk and 3kg Xtend (1 x flavor), Xtend taste awesome,
    and the flavors are very strong
    I mix the two and have 6kg of flavored BCAA + the bonus ingredients from Xtend
    ..:: ENHANCED BODY FORMULATIONS ::..
    Recompadrol & AAV2 - PM me with any questions

  18. New Member
    mshredded's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  160 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    43
    Rep Power
    110
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    14.73%

    Quote Originally Posted by AutoKal47 View Post
    I do 3kg of bulk and 3kg Xtend (1 x flavor), Xtend taste awesome,
    and the flavors are very strong
    I mix the two and have 6kg of flavored BCAA + the bonus ingredients from Xtend
    Doing this. Thanks for saving me some cash, might add some glutamine to make it closed to xtend properties.
  19. New Member
    useyourhead's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    69
    Rep Power
    105
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    16.43%

    Quote Originally Posted by AutoKal47 View Post
    If I had to pick only one supplement would be BCAA

    I remember the day i started megadosing them, it was one of those "oohhh-moment"
    it's probably the sup that makes the most difference for me, for everything
    recovery, endurance, strength.. It the base for everything else for me, the essential.

    The ones contained in whey proteins are not the same as BCAA in free form
    PS: to be noted that I'm always dieting..

    my 2c
    what is the difference between free from BCAAs and those in naturally occurring in whey? Also what do you guys think of the modern BCAA product by USP? Also i've never looked deeply into EAA supplementation. Is that something worth looking into?

    thanks for all the responses.
  20. Elite Member
    RenegadeRows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8,669
    Rep Power
    191397
    Level
    60
    Lv. Percent
    72.62%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    EAAs/BCAAs are extremely important IMO.
  21. New Member
    OJay's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  182 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    49
    Rep Power
    66
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    44.62%

    I am a big believer in bcaa supplementation I have them throughout the day and also during workout and if I don't have then for a specific period of time I can really notice the difference without a doubt.
    Recovery is less and more doms after sessions
  22. Elite Member
    criticalbench's Avatar
    Stats
    5'1"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,824
    Rep Power
    767475
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    53.44%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by OJay View Post
    Recovery is less and more doms after sessions
    You have more DOMS with bcaa's then without?
  23. Elite Member
    chedapalooza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Age
    26
    Posts
    7,985
    Rep Power
    2519120
    Level
    74
    Lv. Percent
    65.72%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL

    Recoverpro is inexpensive and the flavor is spectacular
    I have the recoverpro. I love it. I take one scoop immediately after my lift then I'll have a protein shake like 20 mins after that.. I'm wondering what the benefits of using it pre workout (fasted training) would be.. I'm worries using them will keep my body from burning fat n calories for energy... Using the bcaa instead! Thoughts? I am always dieting / trying to stay lean as possible. Is taking it immediately post workout stopping the calorie burning too though??
    "no failure is final, nor is any success"
    Follow my 2014 training and supps!
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/240285-chedapaloozas-2014-training.html
  24. AK DoubleWide 47
    AutoKal47's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,331
    Rep Power
    40544
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    70.5%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by criticalbench View Post
    You have more DOMS with bcaa's then without?
    That might happen because you're able to push more/go back to the set faster..
    I remember when I first started megadosing BCAA years ago it was like that.
    But it's because you're hitting harder, wouldn't be because the BCAA cause that
    ..:: ENHANCED BODY FORMULATIONS ::..
    Recompadrol & AAV2 - PM me with any questions

  25. Official Genomyx Wizard
    itzDodge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    687
    Rep Power
    2604
    Level
    20
    Lv. Percent
    58.55%

    I see a couple blanket BCAAs are good statements. Here's a simple low down

    BCAAs, specifically Leucine, through their many mechanisms cause a spike in muscle protein synthesis(MPS). MPS has somewhat of a refractory period and BCAAs can be used to spike MPS every 3-4 hours. Your whey protein or a high protein meal should have very similar impacts on MPS and adding BCAAs to those meals won't cause a more intense spike, but BCAAs can be really quick and easy to get in every 3-4 hours with about 10 G each time. Spiking MPS every few hours can, over long periods with consistent usage, lead to significant impacts on muscle growth on a surplus, or muscle loss in times of a caloric deficit.

  26. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    47
    Posts
    31,888
    Rep Power
    852764
    Level
    95
    Lv. Percent
    49.84%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by chedapalooza View Post
    I have the recoverpro. I love it. I take one scoop immediately after my lift then I'll have a protein shake like 20 mins after that.. I'm wondering what the benefits of using it pre workout (fasted training) would be.. I'm worries using them will keep my body from burning fat n calories for energy... Using the bcaa instead! Thoughts? I am always dieting / trying to stay lean as possible. Is taking it immediately post workout stopping the calorie burning too though??
    if you count BCAA calories as per protein calories (which is iffy to begin with, their usage is different) a 1 scoop serving is 24 calories, so won't have much impact from that respect.
  27. New Member
    EC99SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    34
    Rep Power
    633
    Level
    5
    Lv. Percent
    85.27%

    Quote Originally Posted by AutoKal47 View Post
    I do 3kg of bulk and 3kg Xtend (1 x flavor), Xtend taste awesome,
    and the flavors are very strong
    I mix the two and have 6kg of flavored BCAA + the bonus ingredients from Xtend
    Hey now there's a great idea! I've never thought of that. Thanks for the heads up...now I know what I need to do to save some cash. Props!
  28. AK DoubleWide 47
    AutoKal47's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,331
    Rep Power
    40544
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    70.5%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by EC99SS View Post
    Hey now there's a great idea! I've never thought of that. Thanks for the heads up...now I know what I need to do to save some cash. Props!
    No prob
    I've been doin' that forever
    ..:: ENHANCED BODY FORMULATIONS ::..
    Recompadrol & AAV2 - PM me with any questions

  29. Advanced Member
    Colbert's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    823
    Rep Power
    170668
    Level
    29
    Lv. Percent
    74.98%

    Keep in mind that amino acids also have calories so too much of it can turn into fat.

    Just a random info
  30. AK DoubleWide 47
    AutoKal47's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,331
    Rep Power
    40544
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    70.5%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert View Post
    Keep in mind that amino acids also have calories so too much of it can turn into fat.

    Just a random info
    Most bb megadosing BCAA are cutting, so calorie deficit, I wouldn't worry about that..
    But yes of course, as everything else, the calories must be counted and macros need to be
    in tune no matter from where the cals are coming
    ..:: ENHANCED BODY FORMULATIONS ::..
    Recompadrol & AAV2 - PM me with any questions

  31. Elite Member
    criticalbench's Avatar
    Stats
    5'1"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,824
    Rep Power
    767475
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    53.44%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by AutoKal47 View Post
    That might happen because you're able to push more/go back to the set faster..
    I remember when I first started megadosing BCAA years ago it was like that.
    But it's because you're hitting harder, wouldn't be because the BCAA cause that
    Hmm good point. BCAA's have only decreased doms for me, but makes sense.

    Mike
  32. New Member
    mshredded's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  160 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    43
    Rep Power
    110
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    14.73%

    Quote Originally Posted by AutoKal47 View Post
    Most bb megadosing BCAA are cutting, so calorie deficit, I wouldn't worry about that..
    But yes of course, as everything else, the calories must be counted and macros need to be
    in tune no matter from where the cals are coming
    I realized I needed them when I cut down to 1600 calories, what megadosing would you recommend
    ?
  33. Elite Member
    StackedCop's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,721
    Rep Power
    135807
    Level
    51
    Lv. Percent
    40.18%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by mshredded View Post
    I realized I needed them when I cut down to 1600 calories, what megadosing would you recommend?
    I use 40-50 grams a day with 20 grams being around the time i train. Any higher then that and i would be broke!
  34. New Member
    vivid2012's Avatar
    Stats
    4'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    321
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    28.28%

    THAT'S not a bad workout.
  35. AK DoubleWide 47
    AutoKal47's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,331
    Rep Power
    40544
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    70.5%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by mshredded View Post
    I realized I needed them when I cut down to 1600 calories, what megadosing would you recommend
    ?
    Yep, StakedCop dosage is mine as well,
    40/50gr a day, 10gr pre, 10gr intra, 5grpwo, the rest you can do it before bed
    or between meals depends on when you wo
    ..:: ENHANCED BODY FORMULATIONS ::..
    Recompadrol & AAV2 - PM me with any questions

  36. Elite Member
    RenegadeRows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8,669
    Rep Power
    191397
    Level
    60
    Lv. Percent
    72.62%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    I enjoy megadosing Leucine + Hydrowhey (Purple psyko)

    25g Leucine
    60g Hydrowhey (roughly)

    Sipped on throughout the day! I've seen guys do it with xtend quite often.
  37. New Member
    AustrianOakJr's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    205
    Rep Power
    322
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    10.2%

    Quote Originally Posted by itzDodge View Post
    I see a couple blanket BCAAs are good statements. Here's a simple low down

    BCAAs, specifically Leucine, through their many mechanisms cause a spike in muscle protein synthesis(MPS). MPS has somewhat of a refractory period and BCAAs can be used to spike MPS every 3-4 hours. Your whey protein or a high protein meal should have very similar impacts on MPS and adding BCAAs to those meals won't cause a more intense spike, but BCAAs can be really quick and easy to get in every 3-4 hours with about 10 G each time. Spiking MPS every few hours can, over long periods with consistent usage, lead to significant impacts on muscle growth on a surplus, or muscle loss in times of a caloric deficit.
    YES ^^^ This is pretty much the simple low-down. MPS spikes can be stimulated with food, whey powder, etc. But the BCAA's are a handy way to do it. I use BCAA's for as protection against catabolism when I train in a calorie deficit. And you dont need much. A couple gram spike in Leucine specifically is probably all that is needed.


    Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    if you count BCAA calories as per protein calories (which is iffy to begin with, their usage is different) a 1 scoop serving is 24 calories, so won't have much impact from that respect.

    Quote Originally Posted by AutoKal47 View Post
    Most bb megadosing BCAA are cutting, so calorie deficit, I wouldn't worry about that..
    But yes of course, as everything else, the calories must be counted and macros need to be
    in tune no matter from where the cals are coming
    Well, guys that are mega-dosing are having multiple scoops of BCAA powder multiple times per day. So it certainly adds up. Not knowing the calorie content of BCAA's (or adding them into your meal plan) can make the difference between shredded and not-so-shredded.

    IMOP, mega-dosing BCAA's is a waste of money. If you listen to what "itszDodge" is saying the main advantage is the "SPIKE" that BCAA's can cause. In order to have a "spike" you need to return to baseline for a period in order to spike again. According to the most recent research, this is most effective way to stimulate MPS and new muscle growth. Those that continuously chew on BCAA's all day long are actually doing themselves a diservice by cheating themselves out of the necessary refractory period before new MPS can occur again. However, supplement companies are very happy to take your money and tell you that mega-dosing is key to getting HYYYUGE.

    You will notice that the amino content in NRC's ergo blitz is not as high as some other supps.......the reason for that is that its simply not needed to do what we want to do with the product (spike MPS). We can then take the money you would otherwise be paying for overdosed BCAA's and put that into other key ingredients for a more well-rounded pre/intra workout product.
    Sean Campbell
    Pro Natural Bodybuilder
    NRC Sponsored Athlete - Cabergolean.com
  38. AK DoubleWide 47
    AutoKal47's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,331
    Rep Power
    40544
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    70.5%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by AustrianOakJr View Post
    YES ^^^ This is pretty much the simple low-down. MPS spikes can be stimulated with food, whey powder, etc. But the BCAA's are a handy way to do it. I use BCAA's for as protection against catabolism when I train in a calorie deficit. And you dont need much. A couple gram spike in Leucine specifically is probably all that is needed.







    Well, guys that are mega-dosing are having multiple scoops of BCAA powder multiple times per day. So it certainly adds up. Not knowing the calorie content of BCAA's (or adding them into your meal plan) can make the difference between shredded and not-so-shredded.

    IMOP, mega-dosing BCAA's is a waste of money. If you listen to what "itszDodge" is saying the main advantage is the "SPIKE" that BCAA's can cause. In order to have a "spike" you need to return to baseline for a period in order to spike again. According to the most recent research, this is most effective way to stimulate MPS and new muscle growth. Those that continuously chew on BCAA's all day long are actually doing themselves a diservice by cheating themselves out of the necessary refractory period before new MPS can occur again. However, supplement companies are very happy to take your money and tell you that mega-dosing is key to getting HYYYUGE.

    You will notice that the amino content in NRC's ergo blitz is not as high as some other supps.......the reason for that is that its simply not needed to do what we want to do with the product (spike MPS). We can then take the money you would otherwise be paying for overdosed BCAA's and put that into other key ingredients for a more well-rounded pre/intra workout product.
    It all depends on what protocol/diet one's following.
    I do IF, workout fasted and I wouldn't want an intra wo which most likely has
    ingredients that are already in my prewo, even less an intra that has carbs in it
    I take 80% of my BCAA around wo don't chew on 'em the whole day.
    Also I wouldn't point BCAA as something that has a high calories x gr ratio,
    I can hardly see the difference between being shredded and not so shredded laying in 20gr of BCAA..
    ..:: ENHANCED BODY FORMULATIONS ::..
    Recompadrol & AAV2 - PM me with any questions

  39. Senior Member
    bla55's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,776
    Rep Power
    71175
    Level
    33
    Lv. Percent
    50.99%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Well, sorry to hijack this thread, but kinda.

    So, is there any benefit to taking extra BCAAs is you're in a high protein diet? I.e. keto / metabolic diet?
    Androhard + Andromass Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/182038-so-i-decided.html
  40. New Member
    AustrianOakJr's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    205
    Rep Power
    322
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    10.2%

    Quote Originally Posted by AutoKal47 View Post
    It all depends on what protocol/diet one's following.
    I do IF, workout fasted and I wouldn't want an intra wo which most likely has
    ingredients that are already in my prewo, even less an intra that has carbs in it
    I take 80% of my BCAA around wo don't chew on 'em the whole day.
    Also I wouldn't point BCAA as something that has a high calories x gr ratio,
    I can hardly see the difference between being shredded and not so shredded laying in 20gr of BCAA..
    If you are using BCAA's to spike MPS and/or ward off catabolism during training then you are benefitting. I dont believe there is additional benefit to taking 20g over just a few.

    Can 20g of BCAA's make the diff between shredded and not shredded? It can if they arent a constant in your diet or they arent accounted for. Shedding fat comes down to being in a caloric deficit. Some guys crank the BCAA's thinking they are "free" calories and lessen their deficit. It many cases of mega-dosing, especially where they are sipped on all day long, it is much more advantageous metabolically to get your calories from carbohydrates rather than over-dosing on the protein.

    Quote Originally Posted by bla55 View Post
    Well, sorry to hijack this thread, but kinda.

    So, is there any benefit to taking extra BCAAs is you're in a high protein diet? I.e. keto / metabolic diet?
    IMOP, the main advantage of BCAA's is the absorption rate. You know they are in your system almost immediately after you ingest them. Thats beneficial right before or as you train. Other than that......no, there is no advantage over whole protein sources high in Leucine content.
    Sean Campbell
    Pro Natural Bodybuilder
    NRC Sponsored Athlete - Cabergolean.com
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Formestane as a stand alone supp?
    By poison in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 10-22-2012, 08:57 PM
  2. best stand alone supp?
    By mytime09 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-30-2009, 04:57 PM
  3. Where Do you stand?
    By dg806 in forum Politics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-06-2009, 08:58 PM
  4. WUT DOES ATD STAND FOR ?
    By jtnixit in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-16-2009, 11:01 AM
  5. X-Men: The last stand, did you see it?
    By snakebyte05 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 05-31-2006, 02:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in