Not open for further replies.
T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Has anyone here tried Smart Powders Whey protein?. Its a really good deal with 10 pounds for around 50 bucks. I'm hesitant to try it though as it may not taste that great. Can't find the nutritional facts either. Just wondering, someone on here must have tried it....

kevinhy

kevinhy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Has anyone here tried Smart Powders Whey protein?. Its a really good deal with 10 pounds for around 50 bucks. I'm hesitant to try it though as it may not taste that great. Can't find the nutritional facts either. Just wondering, someone on here must have tried it....
I was hesitant as well, so i had the guy send me a few scoops of both chocolate and vanilla. Both are actually really good tasting, although kind of on the watery side. I'm never a fan of vanilla, and i actually opted to buy 10lbs of theirs for what its worth.

Nutritional facts should be listed somewhere on the website.

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Cotsco sells Muscle Milk 100% Whey Protein 27g protein 6lb Bag for $35

Legacykid

Awards
  • Established
Cotsco sells Muscle Milk 100% Whey Protein 27g protein 6lb Bag for $35
saw this too, but it was $42, how are the flavors tho? a little hesitant but muscle milk always had good flavors

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
saw this too, but it was $42, how are the flavors tho? a little hesitant but muscle milk always had good flavors
well i see Vanilla and Cocolate flavors only maybe i will pick up some with Almond milk.

but is $42 with taxes included?

here ($34.99 + tax 7%= $37.44) maybe this varies from state to state?

mileo198

mileo198

Awards
It tasted good chocolate I'm a fan of and pretty much any shake tastes good in almond milk lol muscle tech just dropped on at sams club same idea as cytosport at Costco

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It tasted good chocolate I'm a fan of and pretty much any shake tastes good in almond milk lol muscle tech just dropped on at sams club same idea as cytosport at Costco
did you has taste yet? i will buy almond milk "sugar free" and maybe add some EVCO to the mix. hope this protein taste good

Legacykid

Awards
  • Established
well i see Vanilla and Cocolate flavors only maybe i will pick up some with Almond milk.

but is $42 with taxes included?

here ($34.99 + tax 7%= $37.44) maybe this varies from state to state?
Yes chocolate and vanilla, but the price tag only said 42 im assuming that plus tax...:(

schizm

schizm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
SP whey will be my next whey purchase if NP doesn't bring back their naturals...have read only positive things about the SP whey...and price works out to be like $28 per 5 lbs shipped...best deal I've yet to find...

CDMMA

CDMMA

Awards
have read only positive things about the SP whey
Pretty much this. Haven't heard anyone complain about the taste.

flash89912

Awards
SP whey tastes ok....considering how cheap it is..... Though I wonder if they test protein content when they receive it from their supplier. Seems very thin when mixed...and just so damn cheap!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

cdiblasi

cdiblasi

Awards
  • Established
It's very good. It has Scivation's macros and is supposedly the same whey (same raws), but I have never had Scivation whey before. It's definitely worth every penny.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
SP whey is all I use now, after finding out its the same as scivation whey. Both flavors taste awesome.. i dont like a strong flavor of something specific, so i do 1 scoop choco, 1 scoop vanilla, with 1/2 cup cottage cheese for some slow digesting protein. Works like a charm for me.

Mike

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
SP whey is all I use now, after finding out its the same as scivation whey. Both flavors taste awesome.. i dont like a strong flavor of something specific, so i do 1 scoop choco, 1 scoop vanilla, with 1/2 cup cottage cheese for some slow digesting protein. Works like a charm for me.

Mike
Oh wow! Thanks for that! I found that most other protein powders give me insane gastric problems. But scivation didn't aggravate me.

I think I will give sp a try.

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If it's based off Scivation i will be giving this a look.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Scivation, smart powders & primaforce are all the same company or divisions of each other.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Scivation, smart powders & primaforce are all the same company or divisions of each other.
wow I had no idea Smart Powders was part of them. I just heard of SP recently though.

Colbert

Colbert

Awards
a factory that makes protein also have very cheap whey isolate...so does muscle feast

totalpackage

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
CytoSport Whey looks like it has a lot of whey concentrate in thier blend and you can tell this
by the high cholesterol content in one scoop 65mg and if you have a sensitive stomach the
high concentrate level means more lactose and this can cause stomach issues. If you want a
whey that has more isolate in the blend look for a whey that has 30mg or less of cholesterol
in the ingredient profile. Muscle Guage, Scivation, Isofuel by Muscle and Strength, Muscle Feast,
IDS Nutrition, Dymatize, and over priced Optinum have whey proteins that have 30mg or less
in their whey blends. Right now I am using Muscle Guage American whey and I am mixing it with
Muscle Feast Micellular Casien and I have no complaints. I payed $29.99 for 5lbs of Muscle Guage
and $40 for 5 lbs of Micellular Casien by Muscle Feast.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't trust Muscle Gauge Nutrition and never will. Just Google for your answers. You can't sell pure isolate for that low a price, unless maybe its not pure isolate?. Just my opinion so don't get all bent out of shape people...

Legacykid

Awards
  • Established
nutrapro doesnt have isolate, and the cholesterol is 21mg

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
cholesterol is needed to make testosterone, and testosterone functions in conjunction with growth hormone ;)

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
maybe i will do a mix of whey,casein and egg from TP but i`m not sure about the flavors?

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Mod edit: everyone needs to review the rules.

punjabimunde

punjabimunde

Awards
I use top secret 100% whey protein...it got the best taste and for good price too :)

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I use true protein. I like the natural strawberry kiwi flavor. they are more expensive than others but good quality. I've noticed their whey mix varies from batch to batch though.
I compared the Teamskip formula to Trutein. 20 pounds or 4 containers of Trutein is around 60 bucks less than 20 pounds of Teamskip, and you don't have to pay extra for the scoop or jug!.

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
I compared the Teamskip formula to Trutein. 20 pounds or 4 containers of Trutein is around 60 bucks less than 20 pounds of Teamskip, and you don't have to pay extra for the scoop or jug!.
I agree. For me taste is a major factor and I don't really drink much protein shakes. In general, the profile doesn't make much difference. At least for me it doesn't. I do have a lot of protein laying around and I need to finish them before I buy another product (I have 4 different brands).

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
I don't like casein before bed. Keeps me up all night pissing. During the day its fine, but before bed...nope.
I kept hearing everyone rave about casein before sleep so I tried it...horrible sleep every time. Idk about taking slow digesting proteins before sleep it makes sense partly that youd want the proteins in your body to be anti-catabolic as you sleep...but sleep by itself is where your body rebuilds itself it shouldnt need proteins in your stomach to do this.. and is digesting food during sleep a good thing? Idk I am torn on this subject.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
what about the refractory period with MPS? I'd prefer to spike it every few hours with whey, casein won't do that
Technically I don't think whey will either(since it is still requiring digestion, etc) which is why layne recommends FF Bcaa.. The point of the casein/blend is to replace the "meal" portion of the protein, and you would "spike" between meals.

I love Trutein(have 25lb now), but that isn't a fair comparison.

You are getting straight isolate, egg, and micellar casein. Trutein uses concentrates, in their blend, and MPI for their casein portion(which you can see on TP is $2lb cheaper then MC).

Addtionally Team Skip blend is 15 x 26g protein servings per lb(15 x 5= 75 per 5lb) 75 x 26 = 1950g protein per 5lb jug.

Trutein(most flavors) have 67 servings x 23g pro, per 5lb(67 x 23= 1541g protein) So about 1lb less protein per 5lb.

IF we break it down to price per 25g pro.
Trutein: Figuring $47 per 5lb = $.76 per 25g protein serving
TS Blend: Figuring $55.76/5lb =$.71 per 25g protein serving

And that is for 5lb not including the additional 5% you get off for a bulk TP purchase of over 15lb.

Just sayin.

itzDodge

itzDodge

Official Genomyx Wizard
Awards
  • Established
Technically I don't think whey will either(since it is still requiring digestion, etc) which is why layne recommends FF Bcaa.. The point of the casein/blend is to replace the "meal" portion of the protein, and you would "spike" between meals.
As per Layne iirc whey protein will spike it, let me try and find it. FF BCAAs are more of a convenience to spike MPS then slamming whey shakes all day long

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

I love Trutein(have 25lb now), but that isn't a fair comparison.

You are getting straight isolate, egg, and micellar casein. Trutein uses concentrates, in their blend, and MPI for their casein portion(which you can see on TP is $2lb cheaper then MC).

Addtionally Team Skip blend is 15 x 26g protein servings per lb(15 x 5= 75 per 5lb) 75 x 26 = 1950g protein per 5lb jug.

Trutein(most flavors) have 67 servings x 23g pro, per 5lb(67 x 23= 1541g protein) So about 1lb less protein per 5lb.

IF we break it down to price per 25g pro.
Trutein: Figuring $47 per 5lb = $.76 per 25g protein serving
TS Blend: Figuring $55.76/5lb =$.71 per 25g protein serving

And that is for 5lb not including the additional 5% you get off for a bulk TP purchase of over 15lb.

Just sayin.

I don't know True Protein still seems insanely expensive, especially the fact that you have to for the scoop 75 cents per pound and the flavor which is so much per pound too depending on what you pick. The 5 percent wouldn't matter much to me because I like to get different flavors and in 5 pound increments. In order to get the 5% off you have to get one complete order with 15 pounds in the jug or bag. Plus they really destroy you on shipping. No flat rates, shipping is based on weight. Maybe the protein is slightly better quality, but is it really worth it to pay that much extra?. Especially these days where the cost of protein is extremely high.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
As per Layne iirc whey protein will spike it, let me try and find it. FF BCAAs are more of a convenience to spike MPS then slamming whey shakes all day long
Ok but are we talking about using whey to spike mps, or in the context of a meal? Most people use a protein powder in lieu of eating a chicken breast, in which case, cassein, or any blend is fine.

Your reply:
  • what about the refractory period with MPS? I'd prefer to spike it every few hours with whey, casein won't do that

• Is moot unless specifically using the protein for that purpose, which most of us are NOT.

So if whey does elicit this effect, and help stop the refractory response, then your statement would be correct FOR THAT purpose in which YOU might use it for, however the fast majority of people are not using it for that..​

itzDodge

itzDodge

Official Genomyx Wizard
Awards
  • Established
Ok but are we talking about using whey to spike mps, or in the context of a meal? Most people use a protein powder in lieu of eating a chicken breast, in which case, cassein, or any blend is fine.

Your reply:

Is moot unless specifically using the protein for that purpose, which most of us are NOT.

So if whey does elicit this effect, and help stop the refractory response, then your statement would be correct FOR THAT purpose in which YOU might use it for, however the fast majority of people are not using it for that.. [/INDENT]
[*]
[/LIST]
I'm confused at what you're driving at? Even meals will boost MPS to some degree, casein is incredibly slow however, it would be wise to boost MPS as much as possible as significantly as possible.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I don't know True Protein still seems insanely expensive, especially the fact that you have to for the scoop 75 cents per pound and the flavor which is so much per pound too depending on what you pick. The 5 percent wouldn't matter much to me because I like to get different flavors and in 5 pound increments. In order to get the 5% off you have to get one complete order with 15 pounds in the jug or bag. Plus they really destroy you on shipping. No flat rates, shipping is based on weight. Maybe the protein is slightly better quality, but is it really worth it to pay that much extra?. Especially these days where the cost of protein is extremely high.
Doesn't matter what it SEEMS I just broke down the numbers, using a premium flavoring(+75cents) and it is still cheaper. It seems that way because you are getting less servings. If you lose 1lb of protein per every 5lb that is 4lbs of protein on 20lbs. You are not saving anything.
The 5 percent wouldn't matter much to me because I like to get different flavors and in 5 pound increments. In order to get the 5% off you have to get one complete order with 15 pounds in the jug or bag.
That is incorrect. ACTUALLY you have it ALL wrong, and this is where they excel.

You can order 20lbs and get 20 different flavors with TP(no joke), and the discount applies. I have been doing it for YEARS.. This his how.
1. Pick amount and premium flavor. for ex. 20lbs, premium vanilla
2. In the comments box put "2lbs vanilla, 4 lb choc, 6lb choc pb, etc totaling 20lbs.

And you will get ALL of them..

Lastly I agree on shipping, it was my main issue with them, for years.. HOWEVER.. They have a new site dropping in a few days/weeks, and WILL offer flat rate shipping, comparable to every other online retailer..

As for scoops and jugs, I personally don't care. I have so many damn jugs scoops, that it is not a concern for me.

I use both, right now I have a TON of truein because I caught a sale, but we need to make apples to apples comparisons when comparing products, IMO.

Hope that helps.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I kept hearing everyone rave about casein before sleep so I tried it...horrible sleep every time. Idk about taking slow digesting proteins before sleep it makes sense partly that youd want the proteins in your body to be anti-catabolic as you sleep...but sleep by itself is where your body rebuilds itself it shouldnt need proteins in your stomach to do this.. and is digesting food during sleep a good thing? Idk I am torn on this subject.

Yeah. Your body should be busy recuperating at night and not digestion protein or food. Food before bed disturbs sleep and causes more harm than good. If you look into it the only people suggesting protein before bed are the people selling protein. It is in every advertisement for Casein or "slow digesting" protein. People then see that and pass it along to others and accept it as gospel when where the suggestion came from originally was advertising. I've tried casein before bed and I get much better gains, better rest and faster recovery without it.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I'm confused at what you're driving at? Even meals will boost MPS to some degree, casein is incredibly slow however, it would be wise to boost MPS as much as possible as significantly as possible.
I am not sure what you don't understand..lol I thought I made it pretty clear.

I am making multiple points. The guy mentioned he uses a blend and you said:
what about the refractory period with MPS? I'd prefer to spike it every few hours with whey, casein won't do that
Point 1: This isn't a concern for the way most people use protein.
Point 2: If you are using whey, in the way layne recommends using BCAA you are likely just doing exactly what you are trying to avoid(being it is peptide bound). Making your point invalid even for your intended purpose!

Unless Layne Has changed his opinion since this:

Despite the numerous positive benefits to BCAA supplementation, there are many skeptics who suggest that BCAAs are overpriced and that one can just increase their consumption of whey protein which is rich in BCAAs. Unfortunately this is not the case. The BCAAs in whey are peptide bound to other amino acids and must be liberated through digestion & absorbed into the bloodstream to exert their effects. Even though whey protein is relatively fast digesting, it still takes several hours for all the amino acids to be liberated & absorbed into the bloodstream. BCAAs in supplement form however, are free form BCAAs and require no digestion and are therefore rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream, spiking blood amino acids to a much greater extent than peptide bound amino acids. Even a few grams of BCAAs will spike plasma levels of BCAAs to a much greater extent than a 30g dose of whey protein, impacting protein synthesis and protein degradation to a much greater degree. The reason a supplement has such a powerful effect on blood levels of BCAAs is that unlike other amino acids, BCAAs are not metabolized to a significant extent by the small intestine or the liver, therefore an oral supplement is more like a BCAA injection since it reaches the bloodstream so rapidly.

So basically you are saying you are using whey to avoid this refractory response, but this isn't even the case.. In fact if there is really a refractory response, you are just compounding the issue. The whole idea is you want a bolus of AA's to create a spike, to the sum of 3.5-5g LEU content. This doesn't seem to be possible with whey.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Thanks Frank. Maybe I'll give True Protein a second look. I'll have to look out for that new website too. Maybe that will be the time I order. Flat rate shipping would really help me decide on purchasing.
No worries man. Not a lot of people know you can mix flavors like that. It is a nice touch as you can really get to sample some flavors without committing to a boatload.

I have ordered for instance 10lbs before and gotten 8 in a flavor i know I like and say 2 different flavors in 1lb increments to test out.

itzDodge

itzDodge

Official Genomyx Wizard
Awards
  • Established
Unless Layne Has changed his opinion since this:
http://jn.nutrition.org/content/139/6/1103.short

Whey protein stimulated initiation and MPS more than wheat and the differential response related to greater plasma Leu responses in the whey groups. These studies demonstrate that peak activation but not duration of MPS is proportional to the Leu content of a meal.
I know he is comparing to other foods but the point remain, whey protein(or any meal high in leucine) will boost MPS

The issue with casein is it doesn't significantly boost Plasma Leucine levels

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
http://jn.nutrition.org/content/139/6/1103.short

I know he is comparing to other foods but the point remain, whey protein(or any meal high in leucine) will boost MPS

The issue with casein is it doesn't significantly boost Plasma Leucine levels
I am not arguing the point that it stimulates MPS, HOWEVER we are talking about the refractory response(you mentioned it)

If you feel that way then you are doing the exact opposite of what he is recommending.. You are taking his theory, and literally doing, what he is trying to have you avoid..lol

If you believe his theory, then what he is saying is by doing what you are suggesting, is when you create this refractory response.

You are taking that study above but not accounting for the actual refractory period.

What he is proposing is your day should look like:
Meal
bcaa
Meal
Bcaa

What you are suggesting is:
Meal
Meal(whey)
Meal
Meal(whey)

As you are not getting that sharp spike in plasma AA's with whey.

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/protein_size_&_frequency.pdf

P
S. I am not disputing whey at all, just in the fashion you are using it to avoid the refractory.

itzDodge

itzDodge

Official Genomyx Wizard
Awards
  • Established
I am not arguing the point that it stimulates MPS, HOWEVER we are talking about the refractory response(you mentioned it)

If you feel that way then you are doing the exact opposite of what he is recommending.. You are taking his theory, and literally doing, what he is trying to have you avoid..lol

If you believe his theory, then what he is saying is by doing what you are suggesting, is when you create this refractory response.

You are taking that study above but not accounting for the actual refractory period.

What he is proposing is your day should look like:
Meal
bcaa
Meal
Bcaa

What you are suggesting is:
Meal
Meal(whey)
Meal
Meal(whey)

As you are not getting that sharp spike in plasma AA's with whey.

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/protein_size_&_frequency.pdf

P
S. I am not disputing whey at all, just in the fashion you are using it to avoid the refractory.

I don't think when he refers to meals he is including whey protein but I could be wrong. In the link I posted he mentions 'meals' high in leucine had significantly more of an impact on MPS and plasma leucine levels. My whole point(lol) was that casein isn't really an optimal go to protein. Considering its generally pricier then whey, and won't have any significant impact MPS then why use it? Using casein and letting it sit in your gut for like 8 hours is doing the exact opposite of what he suggests.

What is clear is that certain protein sources have a stronger impact on protein synthesis than others, and also it appears that keeping amino acids constantly elevated by smaller protein doses throughout the day may NOT be optimal.
Taken from the link you posted.

The refractory period issue is when you're consistently supplying aminos like you would if you used casein. Whey protein spikes plasma leucine levels sufficiently, so do FF Aminos, using these every 4-6 hours will avoid the refractory period.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I don't think when he refers to meals he is including whey protein but I could be wrong. In the link I posted he mentions 'meals' high in leucine had significantly more of an impact on MPS and plasma leucine levels. My whole point(lol) was that casein isn't really an optimal go to protein. Considering its generally pricier then whey, and won't have any significant impact MPS then why use it? Using casein and letting it sit in your gut for like 8 hours is doing the exact opposite of what he suggests.

Taken from the link you posted.

The refractory period issue is when you're consistently supplying aminos like you would if you used casein. Whey protein spikes plasma leucine levels sufficiently, so do FF Aminos, using these every 4-6 hours will avoid the refractory period.
Forget it dude, you just aren't grasping it..LOL

What you bolded in that last quote is my point! Whey protein is keeping aminos constantly elevated!
Even though whey protein is relatively fast digesting, it still takes several hours for all the amino acids to be liberated & absorbed into the bloodstream.

I am not debating whey vs casein at all, just that your initial post in this thread regarding whey protein as a means to avoid the refractory response inaccurate, as I understand it. However I could very well be wrong.

Lastly, we are talking about a blend made up of WHEY, and EGG WHITE which are both rapidly absorbed, not just casein.

itzDodge

itzDodge

Official Genomyx Wizard
Awards
  • Established
Forget it dude, you just aren't grasping it..LOL

What you bolded in that last quote is my point! Whey protein is keeping aminos constantly elevated!

I am not debating whey vs casein at all, just that your initial post in this tread regarding whey protein is inaccurate, as I understand it.

Lastly, we are talking about a blend made up of WHEY, and EGG WHITE which are both rapidly absorbed, not just casein.
I think you're comparing whey vs BCAAs and I'm comparing whey vs casein. Your point is whey is going to maintain plasma leucine levels as well as casein to some degree but I think you're overestimating the length as well as not getting my point. My initial point was whey will boost MPS and plasma Leucine levels will eventually reach baseline depending on your consumption which with whey protein is like 4 hours for 30g or so iirc. Whereas casein sits in your guts all day long slowly maintaining a steady supply of aminos?

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I think you're comparing whey vs BCAAs and I'm comparing whey vs casein. Your point is whey is going to maintain plasma leucine levels as well as casein to some degree but I think you're overestimating the length as well as not getting my point. My initial point was whey will boost MPS and plasma Leucine levels will eventually reach baseline depending on your consumption which with whey protein is like 4 hours for 30g or so iirc. Whereas casein sits in your guts all day long slowly maintaining a steady supply of aminos?
I am commenting on nothing more then this statement.
what about the refractory period with MPS? I'd prefer to spike it every few hours with whey, casein won't do that​

This reads as if you are using whey between whole food feedings, instead of BCAA in order to avoid the refractory response by "spiking" AA's.

My point is whey acts as the MEAL, and not the bolus/spike of AA's needed to avoid the refractory response.

Which if it is the case, it makes little difference if you take a casein/whey/egg blend, or whey both are going to act as the "meal".

And again, we are talking about a BLEND, not casein. The response you posted was quoting a post refering to a blend of whey,egg, casein, which only 1/3 of that is "slow" digesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.