help with mucuna supplement

jtnba24

Awards
I wanted to know if taking 2000mg of mucuna prierens which converted to 300mg of l-dopa too much to take for 2 months. I have heard that taking this much may suppress your own production of dopamine in the brain. And low dopamine accounts for parkinson symptoms. I took this supplement at the end of last yr and about a month after discontinuing i started having symptoms of anxiety, lack of focus, poor memory, vertigo feeling, headaches. It has really freaked me out and i finally went to the doctor when i got insurance and a neuro doc and a otologist both prescribed me amatryptaline which they use for migraines but it is really used for antidepression. I told my doc about taking a neurotransmitter test to look at brain chemicals like seritonin and dopamine they dont believe in it but i would rather take natural than pharmaceutical. Any input would be great thanks.

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
200 to 300 mg of L-Dopa (from mucuna; there is a big difference between natural L-Dopa and pharma L-Dopa) shouldn't bug you too much- but a lot of it depends on how your brain is wired. Every person has a "balance" when it comes to neurotransmitters- and because of this delicate ratio of neuros, everyone tends to be different in how they respond to certain compounds that tend to change them around. I would start with a low dose and see how it treats you- begin with 100 mg per day, and gradually increase the amount over a period of weeks..

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
I'm no expert but a month between stopping and having these effects seems a bit of a long time for it to be the fault of mucuna, doesn't it? Seems more incidental than causal.

flightposite

flightposite

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
200 to 300 mg of L-Dopa (from mucuna; there is a big difference between natural L-Dopa and pharma L-Dopa) shouldn't bug you too much- but a lot of it depends on how your brain is wired. Every person has a "balance" when it comes to neurotransmitters- and because of this delicate ratio of neuros, everyone tends to be different in how they respond to certain compounds that tend to change them around. I would start with a low dose and see how it treats you- begin with 100 mg per day, and gradually increase the amount over a period of weeks..
Great advise.