Mixing bulk powders

FINEMNT

Awards
Did a search on this, but mostly found info on capping. I wanna make a BCAA/Pre-Workout mix with multiple bulk powders. I saw on several posts that you just put all powders together in a tub and shake it like crazy. I also read that someone would use a coffee grinder to mix powders (I think this is a good idea). I want to create a single tub blend. How do you all go about doing this? Thanks for any info!

Lacradocious

Lacradocious

Awards
  • Established
I just add 3-4 scoops of extend to a gatorade bottle. Then I add some bulk Taurine, AAKG, Beta-Alanine, Acetyl Carnitine, electrolyte of choice, and some dextrose. It's a PITA if your in a time crunch, but I'm hesitant to mix it all in one tub. I never thought it would mix uniformly.

motojunkie96

Awards
I make my own pre-workout from bulk powders every workout. Once you memorize the amount of each, it's pretty to quick to measure everything
out. I can probably do mine in less than 3 minutes.

I thought about doing a bulk mix, but I really don't believe it would mix uniformly. That could have some serious unwanted side-effects when you're using clinical dosing of beta-alanine to begin with aka uber-uncomfortable tingling from hell!

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
This is how I normally do lab mixes:
1. Weigh each individual powder in the amt. that you will be using for the sample mixture
2. Screen each individual powder (we use 20 mesh for this purpose)
3. Place each individual powder in the mixing vessel post-screening. Stir powders for a minute or two
4. Put the top on the vessel.
5. Shake the vessel for about 20 minutes at multiple angles to ensure uniformity.

One other tip: Make sure the amount of powder to be mixed fills up less than 60% of the volume of the tub- when the tub is overfilled due to too much volume, it will effect blend uniformity....

FINEMNT

Awards
This is how I normally do lab mixes:
1. Weigh each individual powder in the amt. that you will be using for the sample mixture
2. Screen each individual powder (we use 20 mesh for this purpose)
3. Place each individual powder in the mixing vessel post-screening. Stir powders for a minute or two
4. Put the top on the vessel.
5. Shake the vessel for about 20 minutes at multiple angles to ensure uniformity.

One other tip: Make sure the amount of powder to be mixed fills up less than 60% of the volume of the tub- when the tub is overfilled due to too much volume, it will effect blend uniformity....
This is what I was looking for. I've always wondered how supplement companies make "powder mixes" that have a large of amount of ingredients as proprietary blends. Special machines that shake the containers? I mean, how do you truly know if you are getting the equal amount of each powder per scoop everytime. I guess that's why most don't do a 1 tub blend of powders. I have 8 different powders, and this is why I was thinking of doing 1 tub. Thanks RMS80.

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
No problem bro...

Most contract mfrs. use a variety of ways to ensure uniformity with blends, so you don't really have much to worry about. Screening/de-lumping is a must in any situation pre-production- it doesn't matter if you are doing hard shell encapsulation (what we are best at), or prepping a blend going into a tub. Lumps create all types of issues, because they add in significantly variability. They can be caused by a number of things- static electricity and moisture are two major culprits, and lumps can f-up a blend like nothing else. They can also cause rat holes in the powder- which are circular holes found in a blend- and rat holes are a sign of an inconsistent mixture, and can cause a lot of issues as well, especially when it comes to maintaining proper capsule weights. Good blend testing normally catches any issues- we use FT-NIR to test uniformity (it has an assay function)

On potent ingredients, they are normally metered out very carefully, and are pre-blended in with other excipients, so normally will be ok on that end.....

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I open 5-7 contains at one time just to make a blend.. it takes no time at all.. why in the world you would risk getting proportions right through shaking is beyond me.

Mike

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Ive been considering the idea of being a home chemist and buying bulk powders to make my own blends of certain things. Thanks rms80 for that walkthrough. Subbed for more info.

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I open 5-7 contains at one time just to make a blend.. it takes no time at all.. why in the world you would risk getting proportions right through shaking is beyond me.

Mike
I do the same thing sometimes and will often do that for my pre workout. I'll toss what I want into baggies, label them, and throw them into an empty tub and then just grab it when I need it.