BCAAs

miked7

Awards
who take them? notice better results? I'm trying to increase protein synthesis and want to know if I can get what the pills have to offer through easy nutrition...

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
I pop powerchews usually pwo, and often in between meals when a little sweet tooth urge arises :)

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
8:1:1 ratio if you want to activate mTOR to the max. mTOR = protein synthesis

CoorsLight126

CoorsLight126

Awards
I take none, waste of frikken money. If you consume protein shakes they have BCAA's in them, and between that and food it should be all you need. I dont even waste my money on this crap anymore

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Why is the 8:1:1 ratio better then a 2:1:1 or 4:1:1? I thought there needed to be a balance between the three bcaas?

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Bcaa's are Godsend for musclegrowth. 5 grams equal about 20 grams protein ONLY you only have the aminos that stimulate muscle growth and takes the other aminos out-which add more calories.

I take them and have noticed nice results since I first started taking them. There is a lot of science behind them. My favorite is recoverpro- amazing taste and low price best bang for the buck on the BCAA market- my fav flavor is probably lemon

check it out http://store.anabolicminds.com/product/anabolic-innovations/recoverpro-125-servings.html

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Can you explain why a 4:1:1 is better then the 2:1:1? I never got the differences lol.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Can you explain why a 4:1:1 is better then the 2:1:1? I never got the differences lol.
I dont know. Now that luecine is the popular bcaa since about 2007- thats probally why. All I know it works and tastes fantasicand thats what matters to me

warsteiner

Awards
  • Established
I take none, waste of frikken money. If you consume protein shakes they have BCAA's in them, and between that and food it should be all you need. I dont even waste my money on this crap anymore
This. I've taken several on varying diets (low carb, maintenance, lean bulk, etc.) and also followed the same diet/workout without taking BCAAs and they haven't made the slightest bit of difference in helping me reach my goals.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
More Leucine=Opening mTOR=More protein synthesis. You probably wont see over night results, heck I know you wont. But over time BCAA;s will help muscle growth, metabolism, and much more. Should be a staple in my opinion.

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Why is the 8:1:1 ratio better then a 2:1:1 or 4:1:1? I thought there needed to be a balance between the three bcaas?
Leucine is the star for protein synthesis, but the others are required to be present for all of leucines effects to take place.

You cant take just leucine and get full benefits from it. The others need to be present at least at saturation levels. Some people might be getting enough from diet, but there is no way to really know.

So its best just to roll with 8:1:1. It is what you want if you want muscle. 2:1:1 and 4:1:1 are good for anti-catabolic purposes IMO

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Leucine is the star for protein synthesis, but the others are required to be present for all of leucines effects to take place.

You cant take just leucine and get full benefits from it. The others need to be present at least at saturation levels. Some people might be getting enough from diet, but there is no way to really know.

So its best just to roll with 8:1:1. It is what you want if you want muscle. 2:1:1 and 4:1:1 are good for anti-catabolic purposes IMO
Thank you for ending the reign of broscience lol. Although I'm gonna have to lean towards a lower ratio for fasted individuals. Leucine alone is perfectly fine for the majority of individuals here, who have a high meal frequency. For low meal frequency or fasting, 2:1:1 or 4:1:1.

The key is simply 0.045gleu/kg bw 2 hours or more postprandially.

Robboe

Robboe

Handsome and intelligent
Awards
  • Established
For every two molecules of leucine metabolized, a molecule each of isoleucine and valine is required. This is why the original ratio has always been 2:1:1. If you take leucine alone you can deplete concentrations of the other two BCAA from the amino acid pool.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
hmm, thanks guys. I guess since im bulking and eating 4-5 meals a day ill just go with a 4:1:1 or 8:1:1 product

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
recoverypro for 4:1:1, usp modernbcaa for 8:1:1

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I use them and find them effective, particularly in a caloric deficit.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've tried all different ratio's.. I 've never noticed a difference so I stick with xtend.

Mike

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Well i guess ill give 8:1:1 a run, then 4:1:1 since im a long time xtend user.

JudgementDay

JudgementDay

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I like using RecoverPRO(4:1:1) during the day and post workout. I'll use Formula-X(8:1:1) pre-workout:)

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I just use bulk. So much cheaper than the rest

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I know some that skip protein shakes and just do BCAA and EAAs. However, if your aim is to ramp up mTOR activation and increase protein synthesis, you want BCAA and protein, whether it is a shake or increased protein-rich whole foods in your diet. One to essentially drive the process and the other to fuel it. It really depends on what your goals are, but I find BCAAs help cutting, bulking, or recomping.

Jasen

Jasen

Awards
  • Established
in for info

alwaysgaining

alwaysgaining

Awards
  • Established
I take extend , I lose fat build muscle good stuff

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
BCAA powerchews are a great way to get in some BCAA in between meals. I use them every day along with xtend pre and post workout

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
eh I hate the taste of bulk, I enjoy the lemonade RecoverPro, tastes awesome!
with with the ajipure bcaa's you can barely even taste them in water. That is what I usually stick too since they dissolve well.

gwulbrecht72

Awards
hmm, thanks guys. I guess since im bulking and eating 4-5 meals a day ill just go with a 4:1:1 or 8:1:1 product
8:1:1, go with Modern BCAA, I live by this stuff when I'm on a cut....mixability and taste are pretty decent as well

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
8:1:1, go with Modern BCAA, I live by this stuff when I'm on a cut....mixability and taste are pretty decent as well
Really? I hated the mixability and taste lol. Stuff wouldnt mix even when I left it overnight.

Best BCAAs IMO are:

-Core ABC
-New Xtend
-Dymatize Recoup
-RecoverPro

If you want to bump up the 2:1:1 ratios, just throw in 1 scoop of SNS Leucine (5g).

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thank you for ending the reign of broscience lol. Although I'm gonna have to lean towards a lower ratio for fasted individuals. Leucine alone is perfectly fine for the majority of individuals here, who have a high meal frequency. For low meal frequency or fasting, 2:1:1 or 4:1:1.

The key is simply 0.045gleu/kg bw 2 hours or more postprandially.
Yup. Also most guys here are taking a protein shake I am guessing...which likely has BCAAs in them and would likely get you at saturation. Unless you are drinking some crappy soy protein or something

Jasen

Jasen

Awards
  • Established
8:1:1 here

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Really? I hated the mixability and taste lol. Stuff wouldnt mix even when I left it overnight.

Best BCAAs IMO are:

-Core ABC
-New Xtend
-Dymatize Recoup
-RecoverPro

If you want to bump up the 2:1:1 ratios, just throw in 1 scoop of SNS Leucine (5g).
I had the same mixability problem with MBCAA's. I thought taste was decent though. I like your list but would also add Axis Labs N'Gage, one of the best tasting ones I've tried but a bit pricey.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I love xtend, idk bout the new one tho, im hereing mixed things. anyone tried it? Mbcaa for me mixes fine. Recoverpro tastes great but doenst mix well. Ibcaa is my fav ever but wont be in stock for 2 more weeks :(

TurningGreen

TurningGreen

Awards
RecoverPro Lemon 4-1-1 Ratio AI Sports Nutrition. I take 2 scoops before lifting. Currently using the Lean Gains Protocol 16hrs fast/8hrs fed. Tastes excellent (crystal lite lemonade) and very soluable compared to other BCAA formulas.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
why didnt my recoverpro mix as well?

TurningGreen

TurningGreen

Awards
Hmmm. I use the AI shaker with the wire ball inside, breaks the powder down nicely. It also came with a bunch of AI freebies packed with it...score.

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I find it works best if I use at least 8 oz of water for each scoop or RP and also letting it sit for a several minutes really helps alot too.

Eizbear

Eizbear

Awards
  • Established
Also using IF, á la Warrior diet.. And I drink alot of BCAAs and EAAs.. AXcell Artic Berry is one of the best tasting BCAA I've tried.. Can't beat the picture up @ AX Facebook, Poring down a BCAA Slush on a hot summer day after mowing the lawn :D

I usually use it pre- and intra-, since it isn't just another BCAA, but it also contains Citrulline Malate, Taurine, Vitamin B6 which boosts my stamina and the intensity alot...!

Flabby

Awards
What is the specific advantage of BCAAs over whey protein, which is cheaper per serving?

Flabby

Awards
I dont believe they should be used over protein at all
Ah, let me rephrase. In what situation would taking BCAAs be better than taking whey? As in, why not just take whey every time you want to supplement, rather than spending more money on BCAAs?

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ah, let me rephrase. In what situation would taking BCAAs be better than taking whey? As in, why not just take whey every time you want to supplement, rather than spending more money on BCAAs?
BCAA's for one thing is a better way to add more leucine into your diet.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
7g 2:1:1 BCAAs will stimulate MPS to the same degree as a 30g protein shake. BCAAs would be favorable in pre-contest mode, when every calorie counts. You can replace half your protein intake with BCAAs and cut at fewer calories at equal MPS levels.

Flabby

Awards
7g 2:1:1 BCAAs will stimulate MPS to the same degree as a 30g protein shake. BCAAs would be favorable in pre-contest mode, when every calorie counts. You can replace half your protein intake with BCAAs and cut at fewer calories at equal MPS levels.
That makes sense. Seems to me that, for those of us who aren't too worried about 90 extra calories, BCAAs aren't really worth the money.... (?)

taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Best BCAAs IMO are:

-Core ABC
-New Xtend
-Dymatize Recoup
-RecoverPro

I found that with modern bcaa, I have 2 mix with 8-10oz H2O with each scoop and that it helps once I have done the initial shake to keep flipping the bottle upside down and settle then right side up and settle a bit. It may not dissolve immediately, but it will in due time.

TonyGT

TonyGT

Awards
  • Established
I found that with modern bcaa, I have 2 mix with 8-10oz H2O with each scoop and that it helps once I have done the initial shake to keep flipping the bottle upside down and settle then right side up and settle a bit. It may not dissolve immediately, but it will in due time.
Using room temp water will help it dissolve a little better and faster then just throw some ice in it or put it in the fridge.