Looking for new nighttime protein blend. Suggestions??

thesponge18

Awards
So, I've been taking Muscle Milk Light at night, mixed with milk, right before bed. It's been good to me and tastes fantastic. (Cookies n' Cream ftw!) But I'm looking for a new protein blend to take before bed that will give me the calories, too. Just taking casein isn't really the calories I'm looking for, and I can't sleep worth a damn when I have a meal right before I sleep. So something I can mix with milk, get a solid 30g and has a good calorie count is ideal.

Thoughts/help?? It's much appreciated.

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Try Musclefeast's Micellar Casein. It's instantized with no filler just premium grade casein protein.

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I use TPS micellar casein...sounds just like the stuff southpaw is speaking of

Mixes good...I am a wimp for chunky shakes

thesponge18

Awards
I use TPS micellar casein...sounds just like the stuff southpaw is speaking of

Mixes good...I am a wimp for chunky shakes
Try Musclefeast's Micellar Casein. It's instantized with no filler just premium grade casein protein.
They both look solid. I've actually been wanting to try MF's stuff. Looks like it's pretty good quality. I'm a fan of no filters, just haven't gotten around to buying it. Same goes for TPS. But I'm looking for something with more calories, because I'm trying to gain weight.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
If you want more calories, just eat more throughout the day.

schizm

schizm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've used Dymatize Elite XT (formely named 12 hour protein) in the past, thought it was decent...and well priced...will prolly have to run over to my VS to pick some up next week...about out of my supply of LipoT...
...if you want to add more calories, could always eat a 1-2 TBS of Peanut butter...or coconut oil...or real coconut...along with the shake...

thesponge18

Awards
If you want more calories, just eat more throughout the day.
I have been. I just like the calories right before bed. I wish I could stomach another meal, but I can't sleep when I try to. But, fair enough.

As far as post workout goes, I've been using a protein blend (just isolate with concentrate) and I'm about to run out. Should I just switch to using isolate post workout?

thesponge18

Awards
I've used Dymatize Elite XT (formely named 12 hour protein) in the past, thought it was decent...and well priced...will prolly have to run over to my VS to pick some up next week...about out of my supply of LipoT...
...if you want to add more calories, could always eat a 1-2 TBS of Peanut butter...or coconut oil...or real coconut...along with the shake...
I might do the coconut oil. I'm one of the unlucky ones who can't stomach peanut butter at night. Talk about the friggin runs. Oh my god. That and apple cider. Sucks, because I love both. Le sigh. Might try to XT. I've used their elite mass and liked it. They seem to make solid everything. What about sticking with MM, but just regular kind?

schizm

schizm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I might do the coconut oil. I'm one of the unlucky ones who can't stomach peanut butter at night. Talk about the friggin runs. Oh my god. That and apple cider. Sucks, because I love both. Le sigh. Might try to XT. I've used their elite mass and liked it. They seem to make solid everything. What about sticking with MM, but just regular kind?
I'm not hip to the profile of regular MM...does it have a lot of sugars?
....stink about the PB and apple cider :( I recall as a kid if I drank too much apple juice at one time, it was similar for me...

thesponge18

Awards
....stink about the PB and apple cider :( I recall as a kid if I drank too much apple juice at one time, it was similar for me...
Yeah, it sucks bug time. There's nothing better than some protein for comfort food. But for some reason, when that or the apple cider hits my stomach, everything liquefies. lol. Not. Fun.

Regular MM has 4g per two scoops, and MM light has 3g per two scoops. Both carb profiles are pretty similar, though MM light has a few grams less, of course.

thesponge18

Awards
What about Dymatize's elite gourmet whey-casein blend for nighttime?

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
They both look solid. I've actually been wanting to try MF's stuff. Looks like it's pretty good quality. I'm a fan of no filters, just haven't gotten around to buying it. Same goes for TPS. But I'm looking for something with more calories, because I'm trying to gain weight.
You have a lot of protein choices, some even mentioned in this thread, like Dymatize Elite 12 hour protein. What I can tell you from personal experience is that I rank Mfeast's proteins ahead of any other protein source that I've ever used. Here is how I come to that determination. Most popular protein blends don't offer any indication as to the amount of a specific type of protein in a given formula, in this case casein. Many of them use cheap low quality whey concentrate as the primary ingredient, which for me(products like Myofusion) causes gas and bloating. Mfeast proteins which I'm using now, are undenatured and pure, no fillers, no excess sugars and minimal flavoring, just pure 100% undenatured micellar casein. It works without the stomach issues and bloating, most importantly you're getting 100% of what you pay for. I currently use their preworkout and postworkout formula as well, in addition to a few of their BCAA products. They offer nothing but quality and they source premium ingredients.

thesponge18

Awards
You have a lot of protein choices, some even mentioned in this thread, like Dymatize Elite 12 hour protein. What I can tell you from personal experience is that I rank Mfeast's proteins ahead of any other protein source that I've ever used. Here is how I come to that determination. Most popular protein blends don't offer any indication as to the amount of a specific type of protein in a given formula, in this case casein. Many of them use cheap low quality whey concentrate as the primary ingredient, which for me(products like Myofusion) causes gas and bloating. Mfeast proteins which I'm using now, are undenatured and pure, no fillers, no excess sugars and minimal flavoring, just pure 100% undenatured micellar casein. It works without the stomach issues and bloating, most importantly you're getting 100% of what you pay for. I currently use their preworkout and postworkout formula as well, in addition to a few of their BCAA products. They offer nothing but quality and they source premium ingredients.
That's awesome. This is pretty much all I've heard/ready about MF products. I really, really want to try/buy some. But I just dropped most of my expendable budget and am pretty constrained as far as spending goes. I know I'm getting something as pure when I use ON, MM, etc etc, but right now, I'm trapped financially. Sounds sweet to be running their products, though. I'm hoping I'll be able to try em out soon.

But, in the mean time, what would you think of using UN's isolate post workout and the Dymatize xt/12 hour at night? The reason I'm asking about those two in particular is that I can get 57 servings on UN for 15 and a few pounds of xt for the same, which keeps my budget intact (and from me breaking myself).

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
casein by ON. if u want more carbs and cals, add oats, fruits and honey

thesponge18

Awards
casein by ON. if u want more carbs and cals, add oats, fruits and honey
I'm looking for a good price on it, now. Well, at least one that doesn't break me. Should I just got with a straight up casein before bed, or a blend (that's primarily caseins)? Like the XT. Or a blend like elite gourmet? (again, I'm asking about these particular two because of the price-point I've found them for)

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
There's no benefit to having casein before bed man. In fact, it may be less than ideal. Just focus on hitting your daily macros and have something tasty pre-bed (i.e. ultra peptide 2.0)

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
slower absorption. i add oats and more ingredients to make in almost a weight gainer at night along with a p&j with milk

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
slower absorption. i add oats and more ingredients to make in almost a weight gainer at night along with a p&j with milk
Absorption speed is irrelevant. Catabolism and anabolism are ongoing processes, and you can bet that your body is utilizing just about every nutrient you put into it. So at the end of the day, overall energy balance is what matters.

thesponge18

Awards
There's no benefit to having casein before bed man. In fact, it may be less than ideal. Just focus on hitting your daily macros and have something tasty pre-bed (i.e. ultra peptide 2.0)
Absorption speed is irrelevant. Catabolism and anabolism are ongoing processes, and you can bet that your body is utilizing just about every nutrient you put into it. So at the end of the day, overall energy balance is what matters.
Alright, fellas. I'm not looking for any arguments here. =D I've tried to just have a smaller(ish) meal with high protein before bed, like oatmeal the and like. But I can't stomach it; gives me wicked digestion problems. It ends with me in the bathroom and pain. Not good. That's why I take a shake. So, if absorption rate is (or at least seems to be) up in the air/still at debate, would a protein blend be a good way to go? (i.e, something like xt, elite gourmet, or even mm)

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Alright, fellas. I'm not looking for any arguments here. =D I've tried to just have a smaller(ish) meal with high protein before bed, like oatmeal the and like. But I can't stomach it; gives me wicked digestion problems. It ends with me in the bathroom and pain. Not good. That's why I take a shake. So, if absorption rate is (or at least seems to be) up in the air/still at debate, would a protein blend be a good way to go? (i.e, something like xt, elite gourmet, or even mm)
Sure, though I personally recommend: XF Ultra Peptide 2.0, Trutein, Vasolate, or Myofusion.

thesponge18

Awards
Sure, though I personally recommend: XF Ultra Peptide 2.0, Trutein, Vasolate, or Myofusion.
I'd love to get Truetein or Myo, but it's a matter of price-point for me at the moment. Sucks, and pisses me off because I don't want to sacrifice a lot of quality, but I can't pay with asking nicely. lol.

lewdog55

lewdog55

Awards
I'd go with XF Ultra Peptide 2.0. Any flavor tastes amazing and it has a good amount of calories per serving. Not to mention you will think you are having an amazing treat before bed!

thesponge18

Awards
I'd go with XF Ultra Peptide 2.0. Any flavor tastes amazing and it has a good amount of calories per serving. Not to mention you will think you are having an amazing treat before bed!
All this talk about peptide is making me want to just ruin my budget and buy some. lol. This is not good, because I have it pulled up now and am close to hitting the "pay" button.

thesponge18

Awards
What are the thoughts/opinions out there on ultimate nutrition's isolate? I can snag 57 servings for 15 bucks at the moment. I've been taking a concentrate/isolate blend post workout, but figured I should just start using an isolate if I can. (my protein supply is almost shot). Worth it?

schizm

schizm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What about Dymatize's elite gourmet whey-casein blend for nighttime?
actually after comparing the profiles of Elite XT & Gourmet...I think I'd spend a couple more bucks to get an extra .6 lbs and go with the Gourmet...now, seeing that VS doesn't appear to stock anything but van/choc in 2lb gourmet, I'll most likely pick up the Elite whey, which is a whey isolate blend (and only b/c I have a $10 VS giftcard)...have had the berry blast before, pretty tasty...but ya, if I had the extra funds, I'd def try out XF protein that seems to be all the rage these days...

BigKoolWhip

BigKoolWhip

Awards
i take syntha 6 at night. love it

BigKoolWhip

BigKoolWhip

Awards
then what do you think are the benefits of Casein ?

thesponge18

Awards
actually after comparing the profiles of Elite XT & Gourmet...I think I'd spend a couple more bucks to get an extra .6 lbs and go with the Gourmet...now, seeing that VS doesn't appear to stock anything but van/choc in 2lb gourmet, I'll most likely pick up the Elite whey, which is a whey isolate blend (and only b/c I have a $10 VS giftcard)...have had the berry blast before, pretty tasty...but ya, if I had the extra funds, I'd def try out XF protein that seems to be all the rage these days...
Gotta love gift cards!! I'm looking around for the best deal on gourmet now, actually. I ended up liking the profile a little better, especially because a "12 hour protein" seems completely unnecessary when I'm high eating high protein/cal meals every 2-3 hours as it is. Everyone seems to be switching to XF, just can't afford it. Interesting profile on it, but it seems to be yielding good results. I have been using GNC's amplified protein (concentrate/isolate blend). I know, everyone rags on GNC for lots of reasons: quality, price, etc. But I got two tubs of it for free and I've liked it. And, actually, my sam's club here is selling 2 lb jugs for 15 bucks. Would you happen to know who manufacturers their stuff or anything about the real quality of it? Otherwise, I'm not sure what protein to get next for post workout.

schizm

schizm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Gotta love gift cards!! I'm looking around for the best deal on gourmet now, actually. I ended up liking the profile a little better, especially because a "12 hour protein" seems completely unnecessary when I'm high eating high protein/cal meals every 2-3 hours as it is. Everyone seems to be switching to XF, just can't afford it. Interesting profile on it, but it seems to be yielding good results. I have been using GNC's amplified protein (concentrate/isolate blend). I know, everyone rags on GNC for lots of reasons: quality, price, etc. But I got two tubs of it for free and I've liked it. And, actually, my sam's club here is selling 2 lb jugs for 15 bucks. Would you happen to know who manufacturers their stuff or anything about the real quality of it? Otherwise, I'm not sure what protein to get next for post workout.
I'm not sure who manufacturers Dymatize's protein...as far as quality, I've not ever heard/read anything negative about it, mostly positive/nuetral...funny about raggin on GNC protein...When in a bind my Sam's carries the 5lb EAS brand whey, for the longest time was like $27, now up to $34, ummm, I think 'not'....but I've heard far more ragging about EAS than GNC...

thesponge18

Awards
I'm not sure who manufacturers Dymatize's protein...as far as quality, I've not ever heard/read anything negative about it, mostly positive/nuetral...funny about raggin on GNC protein...When in a bind my Sam's carries the 5lb EAS brand whey, for the longest time was like $27, now up to $34, ummm, I think 'not'....but I've heard far more ragging about EAS than GNC...
I've used Dymatize's elite mass and liked it; can't say I've heard much on the negative side about them either. haha. I've never had EAS and don't plan on it. Same thing goes with muscletech. The consensus is pretty much low quality and a big "stay away" sign. I don't understand the bashing on GNC as far as quality goes, though. I know they're unpopular because of price point and the employees direct you immediately to their line of products. But I've used a few of their proteins and enjoyed/had good results while on them. Not to mention, if you time it right, you can get some killer deals on the clearance racks. And it evens out with what you would end up paying for shipping, anyway. Yeah, my Sam's is selling 5lb bags of muscletech and EAS for 32 a piece. Good deal, but no thanks. I was surprised when they had the GNC protein in there, though.

thesponge18

Awards
Great for baking or fluffing up foods. In terms of body composition, zero.

Revisit the literature and Layne's commentary.
So. In terms of this(^), a blend mixed with milk would be more ideal before bed?

thesponge18

Awards
Gahhh man there is no ideal! I prefer a blend. It's all preference!
This isn't making my decision making process easier!! lol. I suppose so. I've been using MM light before bed, but what to try something else, and am probably going to use dymatize's elite gourmet. And for post workout, I'm probably going to switch to an isolate, to see if my body reacts differently. I've just been using a concentrate/isolate blend post workout, and it's been pretty good to me. But if it's all preference, I might as well experiment, right? Only problem (and I know I'm beating this horse beyond dead) is price. I'm looking to get around 25 servings of each under 20 (if possible) before shipping and such. This is easier with the blends, because a good isolate is friggin expensive. Although, I saw GNC's isolate 28 on sale today for 25 bucks (30 servings), and might get that. Not sure yet. The only time I care about taste is right before bed. I like something niceeee and tasty with my milk. :happysad:

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Honestly, you should only consider quality, price, and taste.

Pricewise, get anything non-MGN really.
Quality-wise, anything not ion-exchanged, no caseinates, etc
Taste - UP2.0, Trutein, Myofusion, Vasolate

thesponge18

Awards
Honestly, you should only consider quality, price, and taste.

Pricewise, get anything non-MGN really.
Quality-wise, anything not ion-exchanged, no caseinates, etc
Taste - UP2.0, Trutein, Myofusion, Vasolate
What the hell does ion-exchanged even mean in reference to protein? (I don't care about taste post-workout, and don't think anyone should. Way I see it, just gotta get it down after a workout and in your body. Before bed/night time is different. More like a meal and satisfying a need and craving at the same time.)

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
What the hell does ion-exchanged even mean in reference to protein? (I don't care about taste post-workout, and don't think anyone should. Way I see it, just gotta get it down after a workout and in your body. Before bed/night time is different. More like a meal and satisfying a need and craving at the same time.)
First of all, taking in protein postworkout has no benefit over any other time of day. So enjoy your food and stop worrying about getting it down.

Ion-exchange is an inferior processing method that strips whey protein in particular of many its beneficial fractions.

thesponge18

Awards
First of all, taking in protein postworkout has no benefit over any other time of day. So enjoy your food and stop worrying about getting it down.

Ion-exchange is an inferior processing method that strips whey protein in particular of many its beneficial fractions.
Gotcha. I researched some, and cold-processed seems to be the purest/highest quality stuff you can get. Speaking of which, I just got a tub of DY Tempro for 12 bucks to use as my new nighttime shake. Couldn't pass up that deal.

Anyone out there have DY products before? The profile is pretty solid and clean. I'll be trying it for the first time tomorrow.